Characters you just DO NOT understand people like

rayarts

Tywin, Randyl Tarly (imagining the few people praising them were really serious, I just can't believe I've read positive things even about their parenting qualities...).

In the good characters, I fail to sympathize with, I'd add Brynden Tully, since I've heard people praising him, for not doing like Edmure and refusing to protect the smallfolk, or for stubbornly wanting to hold Riverrun until a previsible bloodbath where former allies would be in first line. I also don't really understand how some people rate him as the best Tully when his main feat was to ignore their words (Family, Duty, Honor, and he refused to do his familial duty by concluding a good diplomatic marriage)

I would be seriously interested in reading that.

i'm revising it at the moment, I mean, I started on it ages ago and last November I finished it super quickly because I decided to go to a con to meet Alfie Allen, so I could show it to him and give him one (which I actually did. it was great, he was impressed he even mentioned it in an interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRM0bRIJ_W4)But after the con I decided that I wanted to make a better version of it, it's partially why I started the reread, i'm planning on adding some stuff from the reread in the book and I have a friend who will do the lay out and even make drawings and stuff, and when it's finished it'll be available for everyone, when that will be I don't know, i'm way too slow tbh but I've gotten this far so I need to finish it :)

No, you weren't (believe me, I've been on this forum for nigh on a decade). Jon-bashing is very much a niche thing.

Eh I seem to recall seeing something something Starks are evil threads all the time.At least one a day was about how Jon was a traitor and Bowen Marsh was justified in stabbing him.

Then you had the Arya is a psychotic killer who had no right to kill poor traitorous Dareon.

Then about Ned kidnapping Theon and what not.

I remember aloooot of Stark hate and Jon getting a ton of it.

Then again I also remember all of those great threads examining the moral and legal justification of Dany crucifying people that always devolved into "You don't like Dany so clearly you are sexist.And you don't like seeing people get crucified so your,clearly pro slavery"

Someone needs to start one of those.

Actually, I didn't ignore it. I saw how contrived and forced it was. You really have to reach the bottom of the barrel and assume a lot of things to make Ramsay seem like anything more than a cardboard bad guy. Not every character GRRM wrote is deep and there is nothing wrong with that. Adding hidden depth to a character whose only role is torturer, murderer, and rapist is a waste of time in my eyes. And there's no need for depth anyway because everything he's done has been evil, as close to evil as this series will get (other than the Others). There's no coming back for him, no redemption, no justification, no defense. Unless you're a sadist, I guess. I've seen people write about Gregor Clegane kidnapping fantasies, so I guess nothing is off-limits with romanticizing the villains.

you mean to tell me that looking at quotes from the book and analysing them is forced? I thought you were doing a catelyn reread yourself. Why is your analysis not forced while mine is? There's clearly things to analyse about Ramsay, the fact that he romanticizes his parents "relationship" for one, his obsession with being a bastard, his constant need for approval. To just name a few things, are you willing to tell me that seeing those is forced?

"And there's no need for depth anyway because everything he's done has been evil, as close to evil as this series will get (other than the Others). There's no coming back for him, no redemption, no justification, no defense." Of course everything he's done is evil and of course there's no redemption, justification or defense. but that's not the same as having no depth. Evil characters can have depth, just like good characters can have depth. There's a ton of psychopaths walking arround on this planet do you mean to tell me they have no depth? They're actual real human beings with an entire psychology and yet they're evil...

Balon was a pirate, Aeron is a pirate and Euron is the most pirate of them all.

ETA: He has an eyepatch!

I dislike Balon more than the 3 others. For what he made of his children. Euron is a pirate. He is the worst of all. But he has knowledge. He, Littlefinger and Varys, are the cunning badass. I usually don't like evil characters. But I have respect for these 3.

I find Roose to be a interesting character simply because he's an even colder and more calculating version of Tywin.I mean he casually talks about how Ramsey is going to murder any child he has with fat walda.The guy is a true player of the game of life.

you mean to tell me that looking at quotes from the book and analysing them is forced? I thought you were doing a catelyn reread yourself. Why is your analysis not forced while mine is?

I do recall you saying you read Theon's chapters first then you went back and read the actual series. You are incredibly biased.

I do recall you saying you read Theon's chapters first then you went back and read the actual series. You are incredibly biased.

What the hell?? Why would anyone do that? I understand loving a certain character, but GRRM isn't writing A Song of Theon Greyjoy, it's ASoIaF. You should read it the way the author intended.

What the hell?? Why would anyone do that? I understand loving a certain character, but GRRM isn't writing A Song of Theon Greyjoy, it's ASoIaF. You should read it the way the author intended.

Mostly because I didn't intend to read the books as first, I got into it because of the show and started loving Theon a lot more so I decided to read his chapters, than I got more and more into it and decided to read everything anyway.

I did yes, but what does that have to do with anything? we're talking about analysing characters.

It's all in your approach. You're reading this for Theon. You went back to read how the series affects Theon, not how Theon fits into the story. It's all about how the world revolves around your fav. Your opinion can't be trusted.

But... how did you come to like Theon just from the show? He barely did anything. It was because of Alfie Allen, wasn't it?

I know, what the hell. How dare someone deviate from the perceived norm based on their own petty selfish likes and dislikes. Clearly they need to get back in line and conform with everyone else. Clearly something must be wrong with them for having an individual opinion. :rolleyes:

I know, what the hell. How dare someone deviate from the perceived norm based on their own petty selfish likes and dislikes. Clearly they need to get back in line and conform with everyone else. Clearly something must be wrong with them for having an individual opinion. :rolleyes:

Lol what? It's not an opinion. It's reading the books in a way the author didn't intend. But hey, to each their own.

You got to be kidding me. So if I just read nothing but Dany chapters my opinion of the series would be just as valid as someone who has read the entire book? "Conforming" is reading an entire book front to back without bias?

Is this real life?

So are people who read Dance and Feast together doing it wrong as well?

U wot m8? People put Feast and Dance together because they believe that's how GRRM intended it to be. Two halves of one book, remember?

This thread right now.

Let's see...I don't like the idea of saying "I don't like this character so nobody should" but there are characters in both book and show that, to me, honestly don't have any appealing characteristics.

1)Randyl Tarly, for one, the abusive jerk.

2) Bronn. A slimy asshole who just uses a lot of swearwords.

3) Strong Bellwas. I just find his mannerisms and speech pattern annoying.

4)The Night's Watch in general, their very concept.

5) King Robert. Foul-mouthed, drunk, self-pitting.

Archived