Characters you just DO NOT understand people like

rayarts

why would you assume it's 16 year old girls? have you ever been in the fandom and looked at the stuff thramsay fans post? I've been in the thramsay fandom for 3 years now. i'm a 24 year old girl, most of the people in the thramsay fandom are my age or older and we embrace the darkness of their relationship, we don't like thramsay in a romantic way (if we would be interested in romantic guy on guy we wouldn't be into thramsay) not to mention that I for example, never "shipped" anything, I couldn't care less who wants to fuck who and how romantic all of that is, i've always kinda hated that stuff (though tried to respect that other people do like it) and I don't even read thramsay fanfiction, I also couldn't care less whether or not their relationship is sexual or not. The only thing I care about is the complexity of it. The fact that Ramsay is completely obsessed with Theon and tortures him in order to break him and force another identity on him. especially in relation to Theon's already exisiting identity crisis. I have probably more then 50 essays written on Theon, sometimes in relation to Ramsay sometimes other things about his arc, I also wrote a 120 page book on Theon (that I'm revising at the moment). I'd also like to mention that A LOT of thramsay fans (myself included) are victims of abuse ourselves. So please don't lump us along the horny 16 year old teenagers who ship two male characters; it's very different from what thramsay really is. I've been in the fandom for years I know, clearly you don't.

Ok, this really... I mean, I don't care if there is such a fandom and to each their own. But I would never have guessed that people would like to look into stuff like that... There is nothing wrong with that, I guess, I just cannot comprehend this fascination

I don't think there's any 16 year olds in the thramsay fandom, I'm one of the youngest ones. Also he made it sound like we're like twilight fans or something... it's pretty much the oppesite.

He could still say girls from 14 and up or from 0 and up and it wouldn't be any less true.

16 ­­≤ X, X being the age of the thramsey fandom.

X ]16, ∞]

If you say that you are among the youngest, than his interval still holds everyone of you. If he had said 16 and down, now your rant would be justified. However, it isn't.

Absolutely not.

We all have personality traits that we like or find endearing, while others may not. Many characters have similar traits, but often the sum of the entire character is what people like. One thing I find in some of the arguments that is terrible is character A and B do the same things, yet you hate A. Well they may have similar traits, but B as a whole might be more likable.

In life we don't like the same people. There are certain traits we enjoy about our friends, relatives, etc and others we do not like about other people.

I dislike Dany for numerous reasons, but her fans like her for legitimate reasons as well. Her fans may relate to her or find something that she does as interesting or redeeming. Heroic? Glorious?

You can easily like Roose Bolton. Not as in "I hope he wins", but as in he is a fantastic villain and I love how he was done. Liking a character doesn't mean that if they existed you would worship or sleep with them. I like Tywin, he is a great villain. I also like cersei, because her character made me hate her. But if we are speaking about characters we like and want to succeed, that all comes down to how we view our own world and the people around us. It also has to do with our individual personalities and who resonates with us positively.

But Renly admitted that he wanted it. Stannis always claimed he didn't want it, but if that was actually the case he would've let Renly have it.

He doesn't WANT it but he sees it as his duty to be king.

"It is not a question of wanting. The throne is mine, as Robert's heir. That is law. After me, it must pass to my daughter, unless Selyse should finally give me a son. I am king. Wants do not enter into it. I have a duty to my daughter. To the realm. Even to Robert. He loved me but little, I know, yet he was my brother."

I guess finding him witty and sarcastic depends on your sense of humour...I find him condescending, and his jokes are always on someone else's behave.

I really disliked his behaviour when he was at the Wall, I'm not staying Allister is the greatest guy ever, but I feel like Tyrion picked up on Allister being disliked by the other and therefore made his cheap jokes about him, bullying Allister to get approval from others.

I hate him constantly complaining about how the world threats him wrongly when he has had such an easy life. I hate how he gets angry when beautiful women don't like him cause of his apperance when he is judging all women on their appearance. I hate him complaining about how his family didn't like him, when it is really just his father and sister, his brother and uncles and aunts all seems to love him.

I hate that the smallfolks of the Vale and Kingswood are being attacked by savage mountain clans men armed by Tyrion.

Killing a singer and then putting him in a stew cause he sing a song, not good in my book!

Moaning and complaining about being "replaced" as Hand, like something have been taken from him when he was always just a temporary replacement.

Moaning and complaining about Sansa's behaviour towards him after forcing her to marry him!

I could go on and on...

Allister is a bitter and quite stupid man, actually. Tyrion made quite true remark about him: "if a man puts a target on himself, he should be ready that people would aim at him and not be surprised" or something like that. That is definitely true- Allister is a simple bully, moreover, he is not smart enough to figure out people, I mean seeing people for what they are, something Tyrion is good at. Though, I understand why people can dislike him, Tyrion I mean.

Basically:

Absolutely not.

We all have personality traits that we like or find endearing, while others may not. Many characters have similar traits, but often the sum of the entire character is what people like. One thing I find in some of the arguments that is terrible is character A and B do the same things, yet you hate A. Well they may have similar traits, but B as a whole might be more likable.

In life we don't like the same people. There are certain traits we enjoy about our friends, relatives, etc and others we do not like about other people.

I dislike Dany for numerous reasons, but her fans like her for legitimate reasons as well. Her fans may relate to her or find something that she does as interesting or redeeming. Heroic? Glorious?

You can easily like Roose Bolton. Not as in "I hope he wins", but as in he is a fantastic villain and I love how he was done. Liking a character doesn't mean that if they existed you would worship or sleep with them. I like Tywin, he is a great villain. I also like cersei, because her character made me hate her. But if we are speaking about characters we like and want to succeed, that all comes down to how we view our own world and the people around us. It also has to do with our individual personalities and who resonates with us positively.

I dont get the Renly love. Yea, he's a great character, in that he has some personality, seems fairly smart, and also charismatic, but he really screwed his House.

His oldest brother was murdered, and was a sitting duck for years before that - both things that Renly was at least generally aware of. He was smarter than Robert in that he saw the true sources of power in KL, and was actively game planning around them. He then goes off an tries to proclaim himself King - which was remarkably successful. But he knew, all along, that he would have to go through Stannis to be recognized, and more than anyone else in Westeros, he knew that Stannis would never never never go along with that.

Although I agree, I'm sure Renly was expecting him to side with him because they're family whilst he was unaware of what Stannis was doing at Dragonstone and what he and Jon Arryn uncovered in King's Landing.

I have never understood all of the Cat love. I once had someone tell me she was Robb's best strategist. This same person also told me that if it had not been for the war, that Robb could never have expected to marry someone as important as a daughter of Walder Frey. Anyhoo, after that interesting diatribe, I learned to keep my views of Cat to myself.

There are a lot of obsessions over lesser characters or characters that were dead before the books begin. Rheagar is one that mystifies me. There are all sort of theories that make him into a hero, that I find odd. Then there are the obsessions about characters that seem pretty negligible. There are lots of threads concerning Tysha and lots of comments about Penny being important. I just do not see those characters as the least bit important. Maybe I am completely wrong and if so I will become more interested if Tysha becomes Queen and names Penny as hand to the Queen. Until that happens I am just going to assume they really were not that important in the long run.

Of course now that I have mentioned Cat, Tysha, and Penny, I will be told that I just do not understand these characters and the nuance of their story lines. (These fans love the word nuance). I am sure that I will be told that I probably did not go to college or that I do not understand great literature. These are usually the insults hurled at people that do not buy into their theories.

I must admit Ramsay is sort of a guilty pleasure character for me. (There I said it)

He is so out of line, he really keeps on surprising. Every time you think, ok, this can't get worse, Ramsay comes up with something. It's a bit like watching a car crash or something, you know you really should not watch, but you can't turn your eyes away. And Ramsay is not a POV character, we only get to see him through Theon's/Reek's eyes, so the dynamic between those two makes Ramsay really interesting.

It's really a bit like the freak accidents in those Final Destination movies.

What I personally don't get is the Sansa love. To me reading her chapters has always been sort of a pain. I find her so utterly stupid. And her poor judgements usually lead to other people around her to suffer quite bad. She ratted out Eddard's plan to have his daughters shipped out.
She complained about the crying Jeyne Poole (her BFF) to the Small Council. Jeyne winds up in one of Petyr's brothels and ultimately as Ramsay's bride.

She tells her drunk Florian (Dontos) about the Tyrrel plan to have her shipped to Highgarden.

God, i don't understand why Dany has fans. OK, she's the pretty girl who freed slaves, "conquered" an army and have 3 dragons. but then what? she can't make a home for the people she set free, such a bad ruler that some people decided to be slaves AGAIN. the only thing she is good at is to make bad decisions.

She doesn't know how to rule and people want her to rule Westeros. it's insane.

I don't understand people enjoying Euron Greyjoy. It's not that he's a deplorable person, I understand enjoying a villain (I find Roose Bolton and Littlefinger fascinating myself), but I just think he's a really boring villain. He's an evil pirate with an eyepatch who enjoys being evil and wants to being ruler of the world. He's so cartoonish, with no subtlety or reason, and he really stands out in the shades-of-grey world GRRM has created.

why would you assume it's 16 year old girls? have you ever been in the fandom and looked at the stuff thramsay fans post? I've been in the thramsay fandom for 3 years now. i'm a 24 year old girl, most of the people in the thramsay fandom are my age or older and we embrace the darkness of their relationship, we don't like thramsay in a romantic way (if we would be interested in romantic guy on guy we wouldn't be into thramsay) not to mention that I for example, never "shipped" anything, I couldn't care less who wants to fuck who and how romantic all of that is, i've always kinda hated that stuff (though tried to respect that other people do like it) and I don't even read thramsay fanfiction, I also couldn't care less whether or not their relationship is sexual or not. The only thing I care about is the complexity of it. The fact that Ramsay is completely obsessed with Theon and tortures him in order to break him and force another identity on him. especially in relation to Theon's already exisiting identity crisis. I have probably more then 50 essays written on Theon, sometimes in relation to Ramsay sometimes other things about his arc, I also wrote a 120 page book on Theon (that I'm revising at the moment). I'd also like to mention that A LOT of thramsay fans (myself included) are victims of abuse ourselves. So please don't lump us along the horny 16 year old teenagers who ship two male characters; it's very different from what thramsay really is. I've been in the fandom for years I know, clearly you don't.

I'm trying so hard not to judge...but...hnnng. There is no literary merit in Ramsay's treatment of Theon. Anybody who thinks otherwise is just weird. You say that you are a victim of abuse yourself. Then your fascination is in fact actually just plain creepy. I...no. Call this the proverbial ten-foot pole. I'm out.

He could still say girls from 14 and up or from 0 and up and it wouldn't be any less true.

16 ­­≤ X, X being the age of the thramsey fandom.

X ]16, ∞]

If you say that you are among the youngest, than his interval still holds everyone of you. If he had said 16 and down, now your rant would be justified. However, it isn't.

Yay for algebra!

I think if you had children and war in your country, you would think differently. Believe me. Doran and Ellaria kind of boring would be your champion.

I like Doran and Ellaria, they seem to be decent people - Ellaria sees that the whole vendetta thing is pointless, because there is no end to that (something I do agree with, hate "give birth" only to hate) and Doran because he didn't want to hurt Myrcella, an innocent child, despite her grandfather's sins.

Sure, but why do people like those characters??

It's like if you were into a Comic Book universe, and there was one Superhero called "Follows All The Rules and Plays It Safe Man!!". And he wouldn't pursue a criminal without reasonable cause, after talking to authorities to make sure it's okay, after putting his elbow pads and goggles on, after getting a search warrant, et cetera, et cetera....

..See what I mean?

I don't get why people -like- Doran Martell.

His plans are naive and weak. He's not far off from the weak character everyone around him thinks he is. I was expecting him to play against type and make a strong play. It never materialized for me. Quentyn? Nah.

We'll see what happens in TWOW, he may make his bold play yet after his cautious and/or dumb plans have failed. But it hasn't happened yet so I don't get why people care about him.

For me;

Most of the Targs (Aegon, Rhaenys, Jaehaerys I, Alysanne, Helicent and her spawns, Rhaegar, Egg, Dany.)

The Tullys except Lysa and Edmure.

Lyanna.

The Tyrells.

Cersei.

Tyrion.

Jorah.

Barri.

Everyone from SB.

Asha.

PreDance Theon.

Selyse.

Renly.

All of the Dothraki.

FAegon.

JonCon.

Illyrio.

Varys.

There is Daenerys, i really can't understand how people can like her, i guess madness has its appealing.

And of course the worst of all, Catelyn, 90% of things she does or say are either stupid or mean, so tedious to read, boo Cat.

Not sure if sarcastic or not but :agree: .

I guess finding him witty and sarcastic depends on your sense of humour...I find him condescending, and his jokes are always on someone else's behave.

I really disliked his behaviour when he was at the Wall, I'm not staying Allister is the greatest guy ever, but I feel like Tyrion picked up on Allister being disliked by the other and therefore made his cheap jokes about him, bullying Allister to get approval from others.

I hate him constantly complaining about how the world threats him wrongly when he has had such an easy life. I hate how he gets angry when beautiful women don't like him cause of his apperance when he is judging all women on their appearance. I hate him complaining about how his family didn't like him, when it is really just his father and sister, his brother and uncles and aunts all seems to love him.

I hate that the smallfolks of the Vale and Kingswood are being attacked by savage mountain clans men armed by Tyrion.

Killing a singer and then putting him in a stew cause he sing a song, not good in my book!

Moaning and complaining about being "replaced" as Hand, like something have been taken from him when he was always just a temporary replacement.

Moaning and complaining about Sansa's behaviour towards him after forcing her to marry him!

I could go on and on...

He tried to blackmail Tyrion, and would have put Shae's life in serious danger.

Archived