Lafayette, LA. Movie Theater Shooting

Trebla

In a development that should shock no one, it appears the shooter was a good old fashioned right-wing radical racist and sexist.

We'll add it to the pattern of white right-wing domestic terrorism and violence killing more americans then other kinds.

Something I took casual note of hereabouts a few years ago, wondering if there might not be a underlying connection to the increased number of these murderous fools.

Sports stadium in a nearby town. For a long, long time, it hosted team sport events, particularly in the winter. Like hockey. A place where post high school age teams would duke it out.

About the time I stopped delivering pizza, a new element was introduced: fighting. Not wrestling, not martial arts, not boxing, but straight up 'mess you up' type stuff. Back then, I thought it was just a one off. But these fighting competitions seem to be becoming more and more common. One or two of my multitude of shirttail relatives have participated, and done fairly well. And from what I hear, a lot of people are really into this.

On the one hand, participating in these bouts is their choice. On the other, this encourages violence, makes violence an acceptable solution.

In a development that should shock no one, it appears the shooter was a good old fashioned right-wing radical racist and sexist.

We'll add it to the pattern of white right-wing domestic terrorism and violence killing more americans then other kinds.

Funny. I saw an interview with his brother who said he had a history of depression and other mental problems, couldn't hold his job, was evicted from his house, only to vandalize it before leaving by pouring cement into the plumbing and rigging the gas system to explode.

His wife left him, had a protection order against him and requested that his guns be taken away.

He was out of money and estranged from his family. He also had a history of anger management issues and tried to burn down a building in anger in the past.

So with all of the above at play, his political leanings are a side issue. He was just one messed up individual.

Funny. I saw an interview with his brother who said he had a history of depression and other mental problems, couldn't hold his job, was evicted from his house, only to vandalize it before leaving by pouring cement into the plumbing and rigging the gas system to explode.

His wife left him, had a protection order against him and requested that his guns be taken away.

He was out of money and estranged from his family. He also had a history of anger management issues and tried to burn down a building in anger in the past.

So with all of the above at play, his political leanings are a side issue. He was just one messed up individual.

I mean, if you wanna call hard-right political stances, racism and sexism a result of his apparently severe mental issues, I'm not gonna stop you.

Something I took casual note of hereabouts a few years ago, wondering if there might not be a underlying connection to the increased number of these murderous fools.

Sports stadium in a nearby town. For a long, long time, it hosted team sport events, particularly in the winter. Like hockey. A place where post high school age teams would duke it out.

About the time I stopped delivering pizza, a new element was introduced: fighting. Not wrestling, not martial arts, not boxing, but straight up 'mess you up' type stuff. Back then, I thought it was just a one off. But these fighting competitions seem to be becoming more and more common. One or two of my multitude of shirttail relatives have participated, and done fairly well. And from what I hear, a lot of people are really into this.

On the one hand, participating in these bouts is their choice. On the other, this encourages violence, makes violence an acceptable solution.

I'd think the opposite. Violent crime is WAY down over the past few decades, the murder rate has fallen by half. People need to stop scare mongering. We don't have an avalanche of mass shootings, most gun murders happen in urban areas with usually existing and very strict gun control laws. There may be some potential that Islamic terrorism becomes a thing, but given the proximity to the middle east that would be something I'd be much more concerned about if I was in Europe than here. Besides the best way to deal with armed nuts is other armed people handy to deal with them, no need for unconstitutional laws like assault weapon bans or patriot acts.

Hell the only way for the US to go in this situation is for everyone to be legally required on pain of death to carry a gun at all times.

Going to the cinema - gotta carry that gun,

Off to church - carry that gun,

Schools -teachers need them to defend their kids, the kids need them to defend the other kids from crazy teachers or crazy other kids.

Hospitals - all nurses and doctors need guns to shoot crazy mental patients. All the patients are expected to carry one to shoot crazy doctors or other crazy patients.

Same goes for shops, sports events, airports, buses, taxis, walking the streets...

That way whenever there's a lone wolf attack on a cinema, school, college or whatever there'll be 100's of "expert shooters" in there ready to defend the place and it totally won't turn into the Alamo because everyone can see in the darkened theater or busy shopping mall and ID the gunman and shoot him without making a mistake and gunning down innocents.

Seriously is this the way people who advocate for more guns think the place should be headed?!

Maybe once everyone has a gun and has it with them at all times and there are shootings every day with bodies pilling up in the streets, maybe once that happens you guys will wake up.

So basically anyone who might have expressed any kind of ideological beef (left, right and all shades between) before committing their crimes is classified a domestic terrorist. Then note how this is transformed into 'Deadly Right Wing Terror Attacks' on their main page. Handily pumped out to the media to prove how right wingers are twice as likely to be killing folk than Muslim terrorists.

You are exactly right.  I blame it on their terrible culture.  These thugs spend most of their youth getting indoctrinated in radical Christianity where they associate guns and racism with their faith, and shitty Lee Greenwood songs.  What else do you expect.  I personally think we should follow the path of Reagan when he was governor of CA, and make it harder for white radical Christians to get guns.  And perhaps take them away from parents who teach their kids that guns are important, and take them to church regularly.

Yet, in spite of all that, there shouldn't be any regulations to keep this person from acquiring a gun?

Makes sense.

Also, for that matter, does anyone know the gun ownership rates in Lafayette?  Because Louisiana is incredibly permissive when it comes to gun laws.  Open carry, shall-issue concealed carry, no permits required for anything except a hunting license,etc.  So, unless the "a hero with a gun would have solved this!" folks want to actively encourage gun ownership by gifting citizens with a firearm at 18, I don't see how their drumbeat towards a gun-control-free society is in any way reasonable in terms of deterring crime.  

Also, for that matter, does anyone know the gun ownership rates in Lafayette?  Because Louisiana is incredibly permissive when it comes to gun laws.  Open carry, shall-issue concealed carry, no permits required for anything except a hunting license,etc.  So, unless the "a hero with a gun would have solved this!" folks want to actively encourage gun ownership by gifting citizens with a firearm at 18, I don't see how their drumbeat towards a gun-control-free society is in any way reasonable in terms of deterring crime.  

Please don't give them any ideas.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you really believe that everyone has a right to bear arms, the same way they have a right to life itself, then you ought to believe that the country be a Free Gun Zone, where every single person without exception is given a firearm for free. Because if guns must cost money, that's like making people pay for the right to be Christian. It's an infringement.

But largely it's not about rights, it's about perpetuating the interests of the arms manufacturing industry, who sure as shit wants money for every bullet and every gun.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you really believe that everyone has a right to bear arms, the same way they have a right to life itself, then you ought to believe that the country be a Free Gun Zone, where every single person without exception is given a firearm for free. Because if guns must cost money, that's like making people pay for the right to be Christian. It's an infringement.

But largely it's not about rights, it's about perpetuating the interests of the arms manufacturing industry, who sure as shit wants money for every bullet and every gun.

We could always go adopt the Chris Rock Law...(NSFW-Language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuX-nFmL0II

It's about the 2A and how liberals increasingly find the constitution problematic. Why do liberals hate the constitution?

It's about the 2A and how liberals increasingly find the constitution problematic. Why do liberals hate the constitution?

Hate? That's a strong word, I don't think anyone hates the constitution. That doesn't mean parts of it aren't necessarily antiquated given the time period in which it was written.

Well, that's kind of a huge stretch.  Did the Founders hate the Constitution because they found it necessary to amend it?  How about the members of Congress and the statehouses that ratified the 19th Amendment?  Did they hate the Constitution?  Surely, then, the 21st Amendment, the sponsors and supporters of which must have [i]loathed[/i] the Constitution for directly striking a portion of that hallowed document from existence?  No?  No hatred there? 

Your binary worldview is hilariously blinkered.  

Liberals need to stop beating the bush and start calling for the repeal of the 2A. Well if they were being honest that's what they'd do. Instead they'll try their usual incremental crap to push the nation towards gun bans.

Liberals need to stop beating the bush and start calling for the repeal of the 2A. Well if they were being honest that's what they'd do. Instead they'll try their usual incremental crap to push the nation towards gun bans.

Sure thing. We should repeal the 2A. Now you should ride around on a horse with a tricorn hat on yelling "The British are Coming"!

Archived