Lafayette, LA. Movie Theater Shooting

Trebla

Nope. Carrying a gun won't stop a killer from shooting someone. But it has every chance of stopping him from shooting a lot of additional people.

Assuming there's no collateral damage when a couple dozen "good Samaritans" open up on the evil doer with their concealed weapons.

Nope. Carrying a gun won't stop a killer from shooting someone. But it has every chance of stopping him from shooting a lot of additional people.

Body count is what you want to take away from this?

So, if you are like me and that's a place where you bring your five children, you'd want more guns in there, so only two of them get shot? Whew, good thing that it wasn't all of them...

I guess I'm insane for wanting zero guns in there, so, you know, all my children can live.

all one needs to do is search something like 'police bystander shooting' to see what happens when even trained persons get in a shootout.

what's more significant is the generalized psychological effect of everyone knowing or believing that everyone else is armed. that might deter reasonable persons from having a shootout--but the flaw in this theory is of course that shooting a human person is likely never a rational act. can't deter the unreasonable, yo.

Body count is what you want to take away from this?

So, if you are like me and that's a place where you bring your five children, you'd want more guns in there, so only two of them get shot? Whew, good thing that it wasn't all of them...

I guess I'm insane for wanting zero guns in there, so, you know, all my children can live.

What you want will never happen unfortunately. Guns in the hands of stable, sane people serves a purpose but as long as their people like this.nutjob.out there this.shir.will.happen.

Assuming there's no collateral damage when a couple dozen "good Samaritans" open up on the evil doer with their concealed weapons.

I've seen enough of these discussions to know that people that carry believe they are all well-trained marksmen and masters of gun safety. The people like the guy that discharged his weapon while "guarding" a recruitment center? http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/07/23/recruiting-center-shot-fired.html

Oh they don't count.

(For the record, I don't believe in repealing the 2nd Amendment. I just think we should have tougher restrictions)

all one needs to do is search something like 'police bystander shooting' to see what happens when even trained persons get in a shootout.

Yeah. Hitting a target in a high-pressure situation is fucking hard. It's even harder when you weren't expecting it at all and are probably shitting a brick. If more people were carrying weapons as a matter of course I'd be extremely worried about collateral damage from people "defending themselves." It's entirely plausible you could be looking at higher bodycounts, not lower.

Sounds like you dont like America.

What an asshat comment to make to a fellow American.

What you want will never happen unfortunately. Guns in the hands of stable, sane people serves a purpose but as long as their people like this.nutjob.out there this.shir.will.happen.

Yeah, like you can tell who stable, sane people are beforehand, because your mental health system is so all-encompassing and available to every citizen. And, of course, every citizen has to pass a test determining sanity and stability.

From what I heard, this guy shot a bunch of people and then tried to escape with the fleeing crowd, but went back into the theater and shot himself when he saw police on their way to respond. If there had been other armed people there to try to take him down, what do we have? A protracted shootout in the midst of a crowd evacuating?

The "more guns are the answer" people honestly make me sad.

What an asshat comment to make to a fellow American.
 Yea, a total "asshat" comment.

Yeah, like you can tell who stable, sane people are beforehand, because your mental health system is so all-encompassing and available to every citizen. And, of course, every citizen has to pass a test determining sanity and stability.

Lol @ you. Seriously. I advocated guns to be in the hands of people who can use them to kill someone like this shooter before he killed.everyone in the theater i.e. Law enforcement. I would rather the general populace didnt have access to guns but ASOIAF will be completed before that happens. Lighten up maybe? Just a suggestion.

Lol @ you. Seriously. I advocated guns to be in the hands of people who can use them to kill someone like this shooter before he killed.everyone in the theater i.e. Law enforcement. I would rather the general populace didnt have access to guns but ASOIAF will be completed before that happens. Lighten up maybe? Just a suggestion.

Well, he stood up in the middle of a movie and just started killing people, so I'm not sure how law enforcement or even the mythical Virtuous Armed Citizen Who is Very Good at Terminating Shooters in Crowds Without Collateral Damage could have stopped him before this. So what are you advocating?

Your comment was an asshat comment.

Well if the gunman was armed enough he could have kept on going killing people until someone (police) stopped him. The arrival of police (with guns) made him decide to kill himself. If the police (with guns) never came, what was going to stop him? If you read your screen you would have seen I said I was against the general.populace owning guns, but maybe that is moot to you?

Spoken like a true NRA sheeple. 

I am getting really sick of these.

I suppose the shooter was mentally ill, but my sympathy for these people has eroded, seeing as how there are now 4-5 of them every year. If they are so miserable/deranged, they should just do us the courtesy of killing themselves.

Im not one for people talking about the "good old days" but these mass shooting seem much more common than they used to be. There seem to have been almost none like this in the 70s-80s, and there definitly weren't 5 ever year or so.

I'd be surprised if people following the Watergate story would have been distracted by stories of "lone gunmen" shooting up a disco or a movie theater, in 1973-74.

What is the deal with all of this Id love to know? Perhaps just desperate, hateful people who want to create as much havoc as possible?

There are sick fucks out there. Take the guns away, and it will just be mass stabbings, fertilizer bombs, etc. Instead of banning everything that could possibly hurt someone else, maybe we should focus more on better mental health treatment.

There are sick fucks out there. Take the guns away, and it will just be mass stabbings, fertilizer bombs, etc. Instead of banning everything that could possibly hurt someone else, maybe we should focus more on better mental health treatment.

Possibly. Although you've got to admit that someone is more likely to survive a stabbing than a shooting, even a mass stabbing.

Im actually not sure everyone who does is this has an identifiable mental illness. Being sick and "crazy" aren't always the same thing, and it may be hard to screen out all of the people who do this.

Just take Adam Lanza. That boys mother was a completely functional person, who would have passed every background check you threw at her. Even so, her son was able to take her guns, kill her and all those kids :(.

I hear you on the mental health thing though. Or at least have more people involved. Not to judge, but Im pretty sure one or both parents failed Adam in some way.  Most parents wouldn't let their poorly functioning son stay in his room all day, and just my opinion, but taking a kid with Adam's issues to the gun range isn't the best recreational outlet. Later perhaps, after he develops other competencies/issues, but not as a coping strategy.

Archived