A+J=T v.7

UnmaskedLurker

As for the post, I support George 100% on the no deadlines thing. But if he wants to release another chapter...

oh Yeah I support him 100%, and I get he needs time.  I just hate the idea of learning about the Jon, Dany and Tyrion storylines from the show, everyone else is way off base already, but those 3 are staying pretty close.  So that's my main beef.

Are you ready to talk about the Blog? :(

I guess you were totally right about the amount of months it would be until publication......

But.......ANyone want to talk about the fact that the Dragon binder horn is on the cover of WInds?

I think at the very least it means the horn will work and cause some damage......anyone think it's possible that the horn will win control over a dragon and Dany?  How else will the 'one to dread' (probably Vic) part of the prophecy come true?  Why would Dany ever be involved with this guy if she wasn't 'bound' to him in some way right?

Is it definitely Dragonbinder or could it be the Horn of Winter? Winter is coming after all (even if Sanderson has to finish it).

Is it definitely Dragonbinder or could it be the Horn of Winter? Winter is coming after all (even if Sanderson has to finish it).

thats what we were saying on the last page, that it does not look like the dragon binder described in the books, HoJ make more sense given the title.

Someone asked about the cover in the comments on his blog post and he confirmed it was the official cover 

Well now!!!

I wonder if it's a specific horn, or just a symbol. The other covers are all symbolic, not specific scenes. If so, it reminds me most of the horns the night watch used, signaling returning forces, enemies, or Others. Together with the title, it means The Others come, and bring the winter with them.

oh Yeah I support him 100%, and I get he needs time.  I just hate the idea of learning about the Jon, Dany and Tyrion storylines from the show, everyone else is way off base already, but those 3 are staying pretty close.  So that's my main beef.

It's not ideal, but it won't ruin the reading for me. I mean, when I read Lord of the Rings, I already knew basically the whole story, because I have older brothers and they loved to talk about it, with our dad and with each other. Not only did I love it right up to the last page, but just like ASOIAF, I enjoy it even more on the re-reads. People put too much emphasis on plot points. Good books are about more than that. Gosh, think of Shakespeare. We'll see those plays over and over again, and even when we see the tragedy coming, it's still sad!

it was included on GRRM's Year end blog post, I assumed it was the official one for him to include it.

Judging by previous experiences, that doesn't have to mean much.

This means much more, of course :) The colouring seems a bit out of it, compared with the previous five, but perhaps that will still be changed.. The relief that can be seen on all the other covers, and the slight change in colour intensity, I mean.

Well now!!!

I wonder if it's a specific horn, or just a symbol. The other covers are all symbolic, not specific scenes. If so, it reminds me most of the horns the night watch used, signaling returning forces, enemies, or Others. Together with the title, it means The Others come, and bring the winter with them.

I wouldn't be surprised, in this case, if it was a symbol for multiple horns.. not a specific one.

I don't think that this has been mentioned before in those threads, but it involves an interview by Daniel Abraham, the author who has adapted the graphic novel, based in ASOIAF.

When asked in regards to the writing process, he had this to say:

Have you collaborated at all with George R.R. Martin in the process of adapting the novel to comics? If so, what's the creative process there?

I've spoken to George a lot in the process.  The biggest issues we have are continuity questions.  There are things about this story that only he knows, and they aren't all obvious.  There was one scene I had to rework because there's a particular line of dialog -- and you wouldn't know it to look at -- that's important in the last scene of "A Dream of Spring."  For that kind of issue, there's no substitute for just talking to the man himself.

That said, it's very clear that George isn't writing the comic book. He's put a great deal of faith and trust in me on the actually working out of the scripts.  And God forbid I get in the way of his writing "The Winds of Winter."  If I get a reputation for holding that project up, I'd be hung from the trees.

Also in a more recent interview, Anne Groel had this to say:

I do know the endpoint of Bran’s story line—and Daniel Abraham, who has been adapting the graphic novel of AGOT for me, knows where Tyrion ends up.  

Given the fact that Bran has the more extraordinary arc, since his abilities cannot be compared to anyone else's, it makes sense that Anne Groel knows what will happen with Bran in the end.  On the other hand, it is odd that of all the important characters, most notably Dany and Jon, Abraham knows only the end of Tyrion's story.

Since Abraham revealed that he had to include a line in the comic book adaptation, because it had an impact in the last scene of the story, it might be that it pertained to Tyrion. In fact, it might be a reference to A+J=T.

Abraham's interview is dated September 21st, 2011. It is the same time period when the first issue of the comic book was published, therefore the line in question is probably contained in one of the early chapters of the story. 

In the comic the following lines are included:

"What do you know about being a bastard?"

"All dwarfs are bastards in their father's eyes."

"You are your mother's trueborn son of Lannister."

"Am I? Do tell my lord father. My mother died birthing me, and he's never been sure."

"I don't even know who my mother was."

"Some woman, no doubt. Most of them are.Remember this, boy. All dwarfs may be bastards, yet not all bastards need be dwarfs."

I think that it is possible that the last scene of DOS involves an interaction betweem Jon and Tyrion, only this time it is revealed that Jon is no longer a bastard (wasn't he legitimised by Robb's will and wasn't a theory where Rhaegar had married Lyanna?) but it turns out that Tyrion is indeed a bastard, as ironically mentioned during their first meeting at Winterfell. Tyrion might remind Jon what he had told him and that he is not his mother's trueborn son of Lannister but rather a Targaryen bastard.

For more suggestions regarding the important line, read here.

Archived