Big Bang Theory: It's so sad now

Ser Scot A Ellison

Risto, I think his "I want to have coitus with Amy" after the train trip was just to make sure Amy was not listening to his talking with Leonard. As Sheldon is, I do not think he is ready to be more physically intimate with Amy and therefore is not able to give her what she needs. I am strongly in the "Amy needs to get over Sheldon and find somebody more mature for herself" camp.

But didn't he also say to Leonard and Penny that there is a possibility of one day "getting physical" with Amy? IIRC, Penny asked him about that... As for moving on, I seriously doubt these two will ever move on...

But didn't he also say to Leonard and Penny that there is a possibility of one day "getting physical" with Amy? IIRC, Penny asked him about that... As for moving on, I seriously doubt these two will ever move on...

He said that it was "a possibility" a really long time ago, true ... but apparently not soon enough as Amy would want it.

I doubt it as well, and it annoys me because I think Amy would be much happier without Sheldon in her life at this point.

SOM,

I simply do not see Howard and Bernie in a "Happily Ever After" secenario.  Penny and Leonard, as the "front couple" will get that.  And Howard is just an ass.

I'm gutted for Amy.  She hung it out there and Sheldon doesn't even know what he did.  Can we stop saying Sheldon isn't an Aspy.  His behavior with Amy makes it pretty clear he is.

Yes, maybe Lenny will end happily. But why does Howard-Bernie has to end badly?

Although, from S7, Bernie is becoming very dark and thats not a goodgood sign for Howard.

This was a show about nerds that turned into a show about heterosexual relationships.

I've often wished they would further explore Amy's obvious crush on Penny. I'm crossing my fingers that those two end up in bed together - it'd be fun to see how Leonard and Sheldon would handle that.

Damiana,

Nah, I don't care for infidelity whatever the flavor.  If that were to happen I'd hope it would be with both of them free and clear.  Additionally, has Penny ever given any indication that she is anything but heterosexual?

I can respect that. Monogamy isn't really my cup of tea, but I've found a long-term arrangement that works for everyone. Even so, "human nature" is no excuse to go lying and sneaking around on someone you claim to care about. If you're with a partner who's not into sharing, your choices are to be faithful or break up. Don't try to have your cake and eat it too. Anyway, that's my life philosophy, but I don't insist that fictional characters precisely conform to what I expect of real people - that's what makes them so much fun to watch.

I have no reason to believe that Penny is anything but heterosexual. Still, she's an impulsive and passionate woman who likes to drink and (like everyone) doesn't always make clever decisions under the influence. It wouldn't make her gay - or even bisexual - if she and Amy stumbled into a one-time situation based more on circumstance than any romantic attachment or sexual identity. I, for one, would be interested in seeing how Leonard would react to being cheated on with Amy and how Sheldon's jealousy and appall would manifest.

Bernadette is a scary woman.  I actually now wonder, given her comment to Penny while they were stalking Amy and her date, if she will end up leaving Howard with their child?  That would be a bittersweet filp on Howard.  Forcing him to do what his Mother did for him.  Either way I just don't see a long term happy ending for Howard and Bernadette.

I can't get the idea out of my head that Howard continues hie relationship with Elon Musk and eventually he and Bernie decide to go to Mars. Bernie gets pregnant and backs out, but Howie still goes forward. The twist is not Howie becoming his mother, but becoming his father.

• 3 weeks later...

That was really sweet.  I hope Dave isn't gone perminantly he is quite funny.

Don't go soft on us, Scott... We need someone clear-headed about this :)

Honestly, I adore when comedies go blue... And this was a nice way to do so, while keeping the light nature of the show...

I've mixed feelings about the predictable development with Shamy. Pushing Sheldon's character into romantic and sexual development feels close to sex abuse, or at least an unfair Hollywood treatment of Aspergers. Sometimes no amount of patient love will get someone to a point where they can reciprocate.

But this is a sitcom and most broad sitcoms are basically serial rom-coms.

Risto,

Sheldon has changed.  Whether that change is snough to match Amy remains to be seen but the moment at the end of the episode was genuinely sweet and innocent.  I enjoyed it.  That is hard to do well in this day and age.

I think that what is most beautiful about it is the fact that it was happening step by step over the course of five years. In many ways, this reminds me of how GRRM slowly changes Sansa. It is very subtle, bit by bit with each new episode, but the result is there. This comes as very logical continuation of who Sheldon was all along.

Risto,

In fairness I do think, as much as I enjoyed it, IP has a point.  Is Sheldon's personal growth realistic or forced?  I agree it's a bit forced.

In a way, yes. That said, if we operate on the premise Sheldon has Asperger. I am not huge fan of diagnosing the TV characters and I know that producers wanted us to see him as quirkier than the regular smart man. I doubt that next week we will see him bringing her roses, taking her hand and going to see "Love actually". I feel as it would be like with every big milestone in their relationship. They move a little bit and then the life goes on, and then they move a bit more, and life again continues...

Basically, what I want to say is that if we operate on the premise that Sheldon can't be changed, then yes, this is forced. But if we see him as a human being capable of growth, than no. In many ways, both POVs are valid and they have their merits.

Risto,

Are you avoiding Big Bang spoilers?

Ah, I know what you are talking about... If it is true, I will reconsider my stance about forced changes... But, so far, the changes were not happening over night. So I can only hope they sync that milestone nicely with others...

It was a good episode. It gave me a few laughs, especially in the scenes with Dave.

Frankly, I liked the show better when Sheldon was not all grown up and when he always tried to act like an emotionless robot.

I agree, the first couple seasons were the best before the show decided to focus on Sheldon so much. That focus meant there had to be changes, more material etc.

I don't see this part of him and Amy being forced at all though. He finally came to the realization that he likes having her in his life and how she makes him feel. He's a little like Pinocchio in that he was the wooden(robot) boy, except Sheldon didn't want feelings, but now that he can't suppress them he has to deal with them.

RE: Asperger's: It's an interesting way of analyzing a character, and perhaps Parsons uses the idea of it to create the character, but unless they come out and state that that is what Sheldon has, then it's a non starter.  It's a serious thing, and should be explored seriously (even if in a comedic way - See Girl Meets World for a nice exploration of the topic) and to NOT have that be a stated aspect of the character at this point in time means that it isn't going to ever be a part of who Sheldon is that we see on the screen.

As for the last episode: I was quite satisfied with the resolution of the break-up. 

Archived