His Dark Materials Series

Seaworth'sShipmate

The BBC don't finalise their transmission dates until ~3 weeks beforehand, due to their need to accommodate live sports and other things. So they know now that it's going to be early October to late November, they just won't pull the trigger on a date until closer to the time. They also need to coordinate with HBO on this.

Is it going to be on BBC1 then? Also, do we know how many eps?

They did the same thing with Fosse/Verdon. I waited for months, checking online for the start date, then it was revealed via Lin-Manuel Miranda on twitter the week before. But that was on BBC2 - so presumably that wasn't affected by sporting events.

36 minutes ago, Isis said:

They did the same thing with Fosse/Verdon. I waited for months, checking online for the start date, then it was revealed via Lin-Manuel Miranda on twitter the week before. But that was on BBC2 - so presumably that wasn't affected by sporting events.

8 episodes and yes, I believe it'll be on BBC1 given the colossal amount they spent on it.

On 8/26/2019 at 11:36 PM, williamjm said:

I've never really understood why the BBC treat release dates as some sort of state secret.

It's utterly bizarre although itv is as bad (just rarely watch their shows) where they advertise a show during every commercial break for weeks but don't tell you when until a week before.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

I think materials is a bbc co-production while fosse/verdon is an fx production that bbc simply buys to broadcast. So I'd hope they have simultaneous airing rights. Sky Atlantic (which is HBO home in UK) isn't airing the show.

It's still beyond me why the BBC FX deal is the way it is as the shows are exclusive to BBC in UK.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Isis said:

Season two is being filmed now. I want season one already! *stamps foot*

It looks like we have an airdate now with it coming out on 3rd November (a day later in the US).

https://www.tor.com/2019/09/12/hbo-announces-premiere-date-for-his-dark-materials/?fbclid=IwAR2tZAUgW0SVMKmN8Z027ZHYwbcDQyzSOLODfN0kCeMxS0gaKf3qLJw47AI

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

That's good. But on the other hand filming before season 1 becomes the biggest thing ever (I have confidence) may reduce the scope and budget. 

From what I remember I think it's season 3 that might need the biggest budget because The Amber Spyglass covers more worlds than the Subtle Knife does.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

It looks like we have an airdate now with it coming out on 3rd November (a day later in the US).

https://www.tor.com/2019/09/12/hbo-announces-premiere-date-for-his-dark-materials/?fbclid=IwAR2tZAUgW0SVMKmN8Z027ZHYwbcDQyzSOLODfN0kCeMxS0gaKf3qLJw47AI

From what I remember I think it's season 3 that might need the biggest budget because The Amber Spyglass covers more worlds than the Subtle Knife does.

Finally, something to look forward to in early November!

I’d say The Northern Lights has more scope for a huge budget than The Subtle Knife. Can’t really recall any massive set pieces for that book.

Huh, now I’m thinking ahead and wondering how the hell they do some of the non-human characters like the Gallivespians(spelling?) and the wheel pod things (muelfa?)

i know what im rereading after Abercrombies new book!

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I’d say The Northern Lights has more scope for a huge budget than The Subtle Knife. Can’t really recall any massive set pieces for that book.

Huh, now I’m thinking ahead and wondering how the hell they do some of the non-human characters like the Gallivespians(spelling?) and the wheel pod things (muelfa?)

Well S2 is being filmed in Wales so I guess the budget isn't so large.

Anyway, thanks, BillyJ, for the air date. :)

There was an article mentioning there will be a small amount of material from la belle sauvage. I'm guessing there might be an intro about lyra's origin. That or her encountering Malcolm or a flashback from asriel's POV.

Nice bit of synergy with the tv show and new book out in October. Hopefully I'll have read the new book and it'll whet the appetite for the show even further.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

There was an article mentioning there will be a small amount of material from la belle sauvage. I'm guessing there might be an intro about lyra's origin. That or her encountering Malcolm or a flashback from asriel's POV.

Whoops. Better read that then.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Whoops. Better read that then.

Here's the link for clarification.

I really enjoyed "belle sauvage" besides an odd scene or two in last third. It works well in sense it's not retroactive prequel but more "seasoning". Plus, I'm a sucker for Pullman's prose and skepticism of organised religion.

27 minutes ago, red snow said:

Here's the link for clarification.

I really enjoyed "belle sauvage" besides an odd scene or two in last third. It works well in sense it's not retroactive prequel but more "seasoning". Plus, I'm a sucker for Pullman's prose and skepticism of organised religion.

La Belle Sauvage is a great read to sit by the fire with in autumn or winter. Memorable atmosphere. I still catch myself thinking wistfully of old pubs with peacocks roaming the garden. 

Trying not to get too excited about The Secret Commonwealth. 

9 hours ago, dog-days said:

La Belle Sauvage is a great read to sit by the fire with in autumn or winter. Memorable atmosphere. I still catch myself thinking wistfully of old pubs with peacocks roaming the garden. 

Trying not to get too excited about The Secret Commonwealth. 

Such a good description.

I’m already excited for the Secret Commonwealth...

Archived