Stannis the character was ruined for me

rs1n

• 1 month later...
On December 14, 2015 at 2:56 PM, TepidHands said:

I'm not entirely sure the showrunners read them, or if they did, if they understood them. They haven't gotten a single character "right" in terms of story, characterization, plot path ... Tywin's "lawful neutral." Arya's only about revenge. Stannis is only about ambition. Sansa doesn't think about Sandor. Jon doesn't think about Arya. There are no direwolves. Only Bran is a warg. Jaime's a rapist. Cersei's a victim of the patriarchy. Kevan doesn't want her to rule because she's a woman, not because she's batshit crazy. Loras isn't an honorable warrior who deeply loved Renly; he's suddenly a foppish fashionista who's banging his squire because he's there. The Sparrows aren't a peasant uprising against the excesses of the High Septon and the ruling class, they're the Westboro Baptist Church in sackcloth. Melisandre can't keep her clothes on. 

And the beat goes on. 

Oh, and popularity is no guarantee of quality. 

Ya know who else is popular to the point they make millions off their popularity... The kuntrashians. 

The books will live on past the TV series whereas in about 3-4 years you'll be able to find GoT dvd collections at any random yard sale. 

3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Ya know who else is popular to the point they make millions off their popularity... The kuntrashians. 

The books will live on past the TV series whereas in about 3-4 years you'll be able to find GoT dvd collections at any random yard sale. 

Not sure what the point of this as I am sure you could probably find the books at a random yard sale as well.

On 2/26/2016 at 5:37 PM, El Guapo said:

Not sure what the point of this as I am sure you could probably find the books at a random yard sale as well.

If Martin never finishes his series, or worse, they continue their current downward spiral of quality and simply get worse and worse, it could spoil his legacy massively and you might struggle to find them in yard sales either.

Of course the same could be said for the series. Just look at Lost or Battlestar Galatica, both initially great shows that are pretty much forgotten now due to a huge drop in quality.

12 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Of course the same could be said for the series. Just look at Lost or Battlestar Galatica, both initially great shows that are pretty much forgotten now due to a huge drop in quality.

Or maybe they're forgotten because they weren't too good in the first place, and the initial praise they received reflected the hype and the buzz and not the quality? TV shows aren't forgotten just because there was a huge drop of quality. For example, The Sopranos suffered a drop of quality which many deemed huge and yet The Sopranos aren't forgotten, because the greatness of the early seasons can't be denied. So, Lost and BSG are forgotten not because of the drop of quality, but probably because they both lacked true lasting qualities. And that will exactly be the case with GOT, too. Once it ends it will soon be forgotten, because the hype will die and those critics that are happy to be in the bandwagon at the moment will simply move to another bandwagon about some other show, and when they remember GOT it will be in the much less favorable light than today. That is the fate overrated shows like GOT can't escape. And that is why show-Stannis luckily won't be remembered, while book-Stannis, even if he does burn Shireen as Benioff rushed to reveal in order to cover himself behind Martin's reputation, will continue to be analyzed and studied over and over again.

12 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

If Martin never finishes his series, or worse, they continue their current downward spiral of quality and simply get worse and worse, it could spoil his legacy massively and you might struggle to find them in yard sales either.

Not that I'd ever expect a D&D fanboy to agree with me, but this "downward spiral of quality" that you mention so often (despite the fact that every time someone criticizes the show in a similar manner you're the first to whine that it's just a personal opinion and nothing else) is something I can only hope Martin will continue with. His legacy is jeopardized only by the show, because non-readers that saw how ridiculous GOT actually is will see no reason to ever pick ASOIAF books.

It's always fun to come to this forum and read some pointless rabble of thoughts from users about how X character is not EXACTLY like it's novel counterpart. Shockingly, no matter how accurate a character is or how good a portrayal is, there is always that one moronic thought about how it's 110%. To say that GOT series is "ridiculous" is beyond idiotic; it's downright ignorant to claim that. The series in all aspects is successful. It has the largest viewership for the network and the highest for a paid network that includes those like Showtime, Encore..etc. It has great critics review and user reviews. Trying to draw a parallel between GoT and other highly praised shows like Keeping up with the Kardashians is once more... idiotic. It takes less than a minute to visit multiple website that show critic and user reviews. It takes even less to actually realize that one show is hated. 

I read all the books, twice. I love the books; I think the novels are better than the series. I also think the series directors/cast have done a great job in adapting the novels and ironing out the issues that the show would run into if it followed the books 100%. My biggest disappointment with the show is the portrayal of Dorne and a few "key" scenes. 

Understandably, there are a lot of arrogant people in this forum. It's their way and no way. Ironically, here we are, discussing on a forum about characters who are arrogant and people have the mentality to be the same. Your opinion at the end of the day is just an opinion. If you really believe the show is so bad, stop watching it. You should be happy that one of your favorite novels is being adapted on television and doing so well. Instead, you bicker about how X character is not 100% true to his source material? Look at Lord Of the Rings, only a small percentage of readers actually hated how Aragorn or Gandalf were portrayed. If you look at the forums about the Hobbit movies, no one scream that the hobbits was crap.

25 minutes ago, xjlxking said:

It's always fun to come to this forum and read some pointless rabble of thoughts from users about how X character is not EXACTLY like it's novel counterpart. Shockingly, no matter how accurate a character is or how good a portrayal is, there is always that one moronic thought about how it's 110%. To say that GOT series is "ridiculous" is beyond idiotic; it's downright ignorant to claim that. The series in all aspects is successful. It has the largest viewership for the network and the highest for a paid network that includes those like Showtime, Encore..etc. It has great critics review and user reviews. Trying to draw a parallel between GoT and other highly praised shows like Keeping up with the Kardashians is once more... idiotic. It takes less than a minute to visit multiple website that show critic and user reviews. It takes even less to actually realize that one show is hated. 

Ahh, the your opinion is irrelevant because critics/masses disagree argument.  

Different medium, but you have positive critical reviews here for a game that utterly delivers on the sound/visual spectacle, but is a shitty game.  

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/star-wars-battlefront

20 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Ahh, the your opinion is irrelevant because critics/masses disagree argument.  

Different medium, but you have positive critical reviews here for a game that utterly delivers on the sound/visual spectacle, but is a shitty game.  

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/star-wars-battlefront

Yeah, you have a point about Battlefront. It's a 75/100, definitely considered success by the critics :rolleyes: and a 44/100 by user review. DEFINITELY understand what you mean! As opposed to GoT that is 91 (critics) and 8.2 on Season 5, which is considered it's weakest season by this forum.

I understand you have been told before that you are a special snowflake when it comes to personal opinion of t.v. series, but try to be open minded. You aren't special when it comes to that regard. 

2 minutes ago, xjlxking said:

Yeah, you have a point about Battlefront. It's a 75/100, definitely considered success by the critics :rolleyes: and a 44/100 by user review. DEFINITELY understand what you mean! As opposed to GoT that is 91 (critics) and 8.2 on Season 5, which is considered it's weakest season by this forum.

I understand you have been told before that you are a special snowflake when it comes to personal opinion of t.v. series, but try to be open minded. You aren't special when it comes to that regard. 

Poitn being, I don't give a flying f*** about what critics think.  A 50/100 would be too high for that game.  A 91 is way too high for GoT (I'd give it around a 70 on its own merits, about a 30 as an adaptation).  God forbid someone get on here and start using Trump's popularity for how good his policies are.

3 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Poitn being, I don't give a flying f*** about what critics think.  A 50/100 would be too high for that game.  A 91 is way too high for GoT (I'd give it around a 70 on its own merits, about a 30 as an adaptation).  God forbid someone get on here and start using Trump's popularity for how good his policies are.

Cool, nice opinion. I think i'll stick with what the MAJORITY of people are saying. You on the other hand can act as a special snowflake as much as you want, it doesn't make your opinion any more better than mine

1 minute ago, xjlxking said:

Cool, nice opinion. I think i'll stick with what the MAJORITY of people are saying. You on the other hand can act as a special snowflake as much as you want, it doesn't make your opinion any more better than mine

Your opinion is your opinion.  I'm saying you're making a fallacious argument in supporting your opinion by appealing to the majority.  You have bad support for your opinion rather than a bad opinion.

1 minute ago, JonSnow4President said:

Your opinion is your opinion.  I'm saying you're making a fallacious argument in supporting your opinion by appealing to the majority.  You have bad support for your opinion rather than a bad opinion.

Why is it a bad support? 
it's one thing to say well majority sucks. You are using just your opinion to justify your disdain of the show. Yet, you can't seem to grasp that there are more people who love the show and give it a 90/100+. You tried to say to bring up some parrarel between this show and battlefront but it completely felt flat. SO what exactly is your point

You hate the show? you dislike it? Fine! Just don't act like that's true for the huge majority of people who like it are dumb or something. 

1 hour ago, xjlxking said:

Why is it a bad support? 
it's one thing to say well majority sucks. You are using just your opinion to justify your disdain of the show. Yet, you can't seem to grasp that there are more people who love the show and give it a 90/100+. You tried to say to bring up some parrarel between this show and battlefront but it completely felt flat. SO what exactly is your point

You hate the show? you dislike it? Fine! Just don't act like that's true for the huge majority of people who like it are dumb or something. 

Because appealing to popularity is a fallacy 

Just now, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Because appealing to popularity is a fallacy 

This isn't just about popularity. The show wasn't trying to appeal to popularity in Season 1 when it attempted to follow the novels very closely. Not to mention that you think this is about popularity.

8 minutes ago, xjlxking said:

This isn't just about popularity. The show wasn't trying to appeal to popularity in Season 1 when it attempted to follow the novels very closely. Not to mention that you think this is about popularity.

Well it kinda is when your support is "lots of people grade it well and like it"

Archived