Winds update (not a blog)

TheLightning Lord

This is just great. First GRRM says the book is nowhere near done, and now I just had to put down my dog of 16 years because some "vet" was too stupid and/or lazy to run an ultrasound and find her tumor in time and I'm crying my eyes off as I post this. 

Message received, God. This is gonna be a fucking terrible year. 

Come on, hug me...

Agree. That world might be his baby but he's seemingly confused as to what to do to help it grow into an adult. 

to be fair, it is much harder to end a story than to start and spread a story. 

That is why do many stories were abandoned by the authors on those writing websites. Sure, they are not GRRM, but it shows that how hard to finish a story. 

I think it is very hard for him to write the last two books. It will only take even longer for the last book. 

So show is going to give out ending firstly for sure. 

The worst thing about the blog (worse than even the book not being close to finished) is that he had hope he could finish it by October and then by end of the year and now hes telling us that it will be several more months. Did he honestly lose more content than he made??

There has to be some kind of knot similar to ADWD, there is no way he would be so far behind with the kind of deadlines he was hoping for.

Also all the things he said about the show made me think that we're definitely going to be spoiled and he was trying to calm book readers down. Personally I'm happy the show is going to spoil book readers since I watched the show first then read the books, book purists were always annoying and acted smug due their knowledge of the books.

No, that world is YOUR baby. Notice he devoted much more space to his other projects in his blog than he did TWOW. He's moved on. Time for the rest of us to follow suit. 

Right. MY baby? I didn't create this. He did. I didn't creat entitled, whining fans, his work did. I'm just saying who are we to say he's lost interest? If I were him, I'd crave a distraction from that monster of a story. When it boils down to it, people are pissed because he didn't meet our expectations of a reasonable timeframe between novels. Understandable, but absurd. 

...people are pissed because he didn't meet our expectations of a reasonable timeframe between novels. Understandable, but absurd. 

According to his post, he also failed to meet the expectations of his publishers, and the expectations of HBO. We're not the only ones involved here.

EDIT: Then there are the translators who were told that they'd be handed the book at a certain point. Did they turn down other projects for that? There are the writers whose books must have been affected by the planned rollout of this massive work.

The worst thing about the blog (worse than even the book not being close to finished) is that he had hope he could finish it by October and then by end of the year and now hes telling us that it will be several more months. Did he honestly lose more content than he made??

There has to be some kind of knot similar to ADWD, there is no way he would be so far behind with the kind of deadlines he was hoping for.

Nope. It depends on what exactly he felt he had to change or rewrite. If he finds that chapter X is bad, and needs a rewrite and comes up with a better solution to situation Y in the process then this is going to affect all the connected chapters.

And in general:

The idea that any author would be able to work more quickly just because he spent more time at the keyboard makes really no sense. If you aren't in the right mood, nothing is going to work, or even if it does, you might not be happy with it and rewrite it anyway.

George's publishers gladly would publish anything that has his name on it because, you know, it sells regardless how good or bad it is, but he clearly isn't going to sell us stuff the considers to be not fit for publication - and that's a good thing.

Translator's question: I can sort of speak for the German gang in a sense, and we weren't asked to prepare for/await the completion of the book. But then, I'd be surprised if anyone was actually guaranteed that he or she would have the book in November or by the end of the year. Without a guarantee from George himself that would have been a very foolish move to make.

@Lord Varys

Ok just stop, you have no idea what you're talking about. It was GRRM's own opinion that he could definitely make those deadlines not mine, now he is as far away from finishing as he thought he was a year ago. He specifically told us he was going to buckle down and get hard at work early last year, for his progress to be so minimal based on his expected deadlines means that there is a problem there and he just won't give us the reason for it.

@Lord Varys

Ok just stop, you have no idea what you're talking about. It was GRRM's own opinion that he could definitely make those deadlines not mine, now he is as far away from finishing as he thought he was a year ago. He specifically told us he was going to buckle down and get hard at work early last year, for his progress to be so minimal based on his expected deadlines means that there is a problem there and he just won't give us the reason for it.

The fact that he has to make frequent rewrites "big and small", seems to indicate this as well. Maybe he's just having a hard time bring all of these plot points together again.

We know what the problem is. Over writing and going off on tangents, concentrating on setting and mood rather than plot, getting overly concerned about the older characters who create problems rather than the younger characters who solve them. Basically we are getting AFFC/ADWD for the third time.

@Lord Varys

Ok just stop, you have no idea what you're talking about. It was GRRM's own opinion that he could definitely make those deadlines not mine, now he is as far away from finishing as he thought he was a year ago. He specifically told us he was going to buckle down and get hard at work early last year, for his progressive to be so minimal based on his expected deadlines means that there is a problem there and he just won't give us the reason for it.

My God. Where are you, Neil Gaiman?

I'm reading lots of butthurt here. Calm down everyone. Nowhere did he say he wasn't going to finish the series. Nowhere. There's no reason to think he's just going to give up. Let's be real.

We're all disappointed that it won't be out sooner. I'm sure GRRM is far more disappointed by that. 

All of the helpless whining and doom because the book won't be out within the next few months is a little dramatic. There's no reason to think that the book won't be out within the next year or shortly after (at least from what I've gathered). 

There's nothing wrong with being disappointment or even some light criticism. But the pouting and whining is a little childish. 

This is just great. First GRRM says the book is nowhere near done, and now I just had to put down my dog of 16 years because some "vet" was too stupid and/or lazy to run an ultrasound and find her tumor in time and I'm crying my eyes off as I post this. 

Message received, God. This is gonna be a fucking terrible year. 

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't even think about losing my dogs. Condolences, my friend. 

omg I'm so very sorry. This is far more important than GRRM's deadlines. It hurts to lose a dog like that. It doesn't help, but I'm crying for you; we had to euthanize our doggie last summer.

Come on, hug me...

*hugs through the interwebz"

Why is it that eels and tuataras and like fucking quahogs and all kinds of disgusting shit no one cares about can live up to like 500 years and dogs have such a short lifespan? 

Not fucking fair

No, that world is YOUR baby. Notice he devoted much more space to his other projects in his blog than he did TWOW. He's moved on. Time for the rest of us to follow suit. 

Somebody throw this guy a pity party....

He got that other stuff out of the way first because he knew that there was going to be the proverbial firestorm after the TWoW post. 

I refuse to believe that ASoIaF isn't his most important, cherished, and prioritized work. Just because it isn't being pumped out as quickly as we'd want doesn't mean that it has been brushed into the dust bin.

Right. MY baby? I didn't create this. He did. I didn't creat entitled, whining fans, his work did. I'm just saying who are we to say he's lost interest? If I were him, I'd crave a distraction from that monster of a story. When it boils down to it, people are pissed because he didn't meet our expectations of a reasonable timeframe between novels. Understandable, but absurd. 

I'm not pissed. I'm just here to laugh at all the book snobs who keep telling themselves that he's not writing because he wants it to be the best it can be. Notice how much blog space he devotes to praising all of his other projects, and not just yesterday. He used ASoIaF to get rich and do the things he really wants to do. He doesn't need ASoIaF anymore. You and his publishers do, and he's using that leverage to keep you buying his products while he runs out the clock. He feels no obligation to finish the series, either to himself, to the characters, to his publishers, or to you. Wake up and read between the lines.  

*hugs through the interwebz"

Why is it that eels and tuataras and like fucking quahogs and all kinds of disgusting shit no one cares about can live up to like 500 years and dogs have such a short lifespan? 

Not fucking fair

You aren't lying, buddy. My dogs are young but it's always in the back of my mind that my cherished friends will be gone in a future that isn't distant enough. 

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss. 

At this rate the show will be finished before the next book comes out.
At this rate he will die before ADOS comes out. 
At this rate, humanity will end by natural disaster before the series is finishes
All is lost, there is no hope, drink the kool-aid

Good Guy Garlan... Heartfelt condolences... I lost my 16 yr. old dire shih tzu 2 yrs ago. I still mourn... but he was the being that finally pulled me out of my grief over losing my previous dog, a border collie.

wait.. but not too long, for your own sake.. *joins group hug*

Archived