Winds update (not a blog)

TheLightning Lord

I'm not surprised in the least.  Sorry that he had to even say anything about it, but I guess the pressure was too much and glad he could clear it up to at least relieve the speculation for the next several months leading up to season 6.  I'll watch the show as usual, and enjoy both when I can.

Again, speculation on GRRM's mortality are not acceptable on this board. They continue, and posts start getting deleted. They continue after that, the banhammer will start being deployed.

I'm not pissed. I'm just here to laugh at all the book snobs who keep telling themselves that he's not writing because he wants it to be the best it can be. Notice how much blog space he devotes to praising all of his other projects, and not just yesterday. He used ASoIaF to get rich and do the things he really wants to do. He doesn't need ASoIaF anymore. You and his publishers do, and he's using that leverage to keep you buying his products while he runs out the clock. He feels no obligation to finish the series, either to himself, to the characters, to his publishers, or to you. Wake up and read between the lines.  

2007 called, they want you to stop stealing their material.

George's absolute top, #1 priority remains ASoIaF, as it has been since the autumn of 1993 when he resumed working on AGoT full-time after his last stint in Hollywood. Since that time he has written exactly three (three!) non-ASoIaF related pieces of fiction when there's a lot more that he (sometimes desperately) wanted to write. He's done editing work and a few other things here and there, but this one project - and he does see it as just one project - has taken up the overwhelming majority of his professional time for the better part of a quarter of a century.

Suggesting that this is not the case is factually inaccurate and insulting.

He used ASoIaF to get rich and do the things he really wants to do. He doesn't need ASoIaF anymore. 

You know how he would get even richer? Put the books out when the show popularity is on high. No matter the quality. And maybe some prequel/sequel series which he could write on his blackberry while traveling. Or hire some no one to write it for him. That would give him more time to do things that he loves.

Oh yeah, personal insults against other posters and accusing people of lying are also things that will get your posts deleted.

I assumed common sense about behaviour would kind of take hold there, but clearly not.

Again, speculation on GRRM's mortality are not acceptable on this board. They continue, and posts start getting deleted. They continue after that, the banhammer will start being deployed.

Perfectly reasonable. 

Would it be great world if moderation on this site would follow this simple solution instead of locking threads because of the one troll who says shit.

Warning, warning, ban instead of big fuck you to the people who were trying to have a civil discussion.

I'm not pissed. I'm just here to laugh at all the book snobs who keep telling themselves that he's not writing because he wants it to be the best it can be. Notice how much blog space he devotes to praising all of his other projects, and not just yesterday. He used ASoIaF to get rich and do the things he really wants to do. He doesn't need ASoIaF anymore. You and his publishers do, and he's using that leverage to keep you buying his products while he runs out the clock. He feels no obligation to finish the series, either to himself, to the characters, to his publishers, or to you. Wake up and read between the lines.  

Used it to get rich? His popularity (and likely a majority of his wealth) didn't come until after the show.  Most people who are slamming him didn't even hear of him until Game Of Thrones on TV. That's was damn near 20 years after he started the first book! My god! You make him seem a heartless monster. An artist doesn't give a damn if his work sells. It's wonderful when it does, but a writer has a story and an obligation to ONLY himself to tell that story. "Runs out he clock"? Jesus. That's awful. 

Good Guy Garlan... Heartfelt condolences... I lost my 16 yr. old dire shih tzu 2 yrs ago. I still mourn... but he was the being that finally pulled me out of my grief over losing my previous dog, a border collie.

wait.. but not too long, for your own sake.. *joins group hug*

I'll double this. Had someone told me this right after losing my dog, I would have punched them. However, we rescued another dog a couple months later. It felt too soon at the time, but it wasn't. It helped immensely. Meanwhile, our first dog still returns in dreams.

I haven't read the thread, so hopefully it's allowed to say that at this point, I find it unlikely he will finish the serious.  His last remaining motivation....that of beating Season 6 to the punch....is gone.  If this didn't motivate him sufficiently to retain his focus on writing instead of traveling and whatnot, nothing will.  It could be another year or two before he gets Winds out...and some of his recent statements shortly before this...it sounded to me like he wasn't even close to finishing.

Sad.

This is just great. First GRRM says the book is nowhere near done, and now I just had to put down my dog of 16 years because some "vet" was too stupid and/or lazy to run an ultrasound and find her tumor in time and I'm crying my eyes off as I post this. 

Message received, God. This is gonna be a fucking terrible year. 

I'm sorry about your dog, losing a pet is devastating.

At this point, we need to give up on George.  If he finishes, he finishes, if he doesn't, he doesn't.  To me, missing this latest milestone and now sounding like the book is FAR from even close to complete...tells me the odds have gone down drastically that he ever finishes.

But, don't let this ruin your year.  

Why?  For what reason do you think July is reasonable?  He doesn't sound close to finished.  

If I recall right July will be the 5th anniversary of the last book. Rather sad that this book turned into AFFC/ADWD all over again. ADWD obviously having the biggest gap between books, though WoW is looking to top it. If we're not reading the book by this time next year George may very well have succeeded in creating his longest publication delay between books.

It's utterly baffling to me that people are reading that blog post and getting from it that the book is almost done and will be out this year.  I have a bridge they might want to go in on.

I say late August, he'll be done. Out by November. 

Last year my hunch was that we'd hear it was done in late August to Sept..then the publishers would do their thing.. (I even asked my tarot cards )

I'm going with you, on this one..I never specified the year.. ;)

Yes, my middle name is Pollyanna and I refuse to be dragged into the abyss.

Don't tell me we'll have nothing to talk about in the meantime....

It's utterly baffling to me that people are reading that blog post and getting from it that the book is almost done and will be out this year.  I have a bridge they might want to go in on.

I agree. I get the opposite.  He isn't even close.  I had thought he would get it out by 2016 and even thought he might hit the April deadline.  But now I think getting it out for next Christmas shopping is the absolute best case and not very likely either.

Archived