A+J=T v.8

UnmaskedLurker

I had a thought regarding to the original outline in the series. The outline Jaime ends becoming king by killing everyone before him in succession. In the current book this makes no sense considering that the Lannisters have no claim to the throne. So this could imply that originally the Lannisters had some claim to the throne. If this was the case they would probably had Targaryen blood and if GRRM was planning to make Tyrion a dragon rider this could be the reason originally how he had Targaryen blood. But as GRRM changed his original plans before writing the first book he would have had to find another way for Tyrion to have Targaryen blood without the Lannister's having a claim to the throne. And coming up with A+J=T only then.

This is just something that I though about. But if A+J=T is true GRRM would have probably come up with only after writing the outline since Tywin does not apparently exist in the original plans.

12 minutes ago, Chinoiserie said:

I had a thought regarding to the original outline in the series. The outline Jaime ends becoming king by killing everyone before him in succession. In the current book this makes no sense considering that the Lannisters have no claim to the throne. So this could imply that originally the Lannisters had some claim to the throne. If this was the case they would probably had Targaryen blood and if GRRM was planning to make Tyrion a dragon rider this could be the reason originally how he had Targaryen blood. But as GRRM changed his original plans before writing the first book he would have had to find another way for Tyrion to have Targaryen blood without the Lannister's having a claim to the throne. And coming up with A+J=T only then.

This is just something that I though about. But if A+J=T is true GRRM would have probably come up with only after writing the outline since Tywin does not apparently exist in the original plans.

I do not think originally Tyrion is a dragon rider, there was only one dragon which is Dany's. Not three.

Three head dragon is a later change.

I am also wondering where is Jaime's claim.

He did not have any claim over the throne. I can only think about he is the bastard of Aerys.

7 hours ago, Jo Maltese said:

Dragon riding is not a given at all for Jon in the short term. I actually can't think of any convincing textual hint that Jon will be riding a dragon at all. Hints that he IS a Dragon do exist of course, and many think (inc. me) that his DNA test is somewhere in Winterfell crypts (Lyanna's tomb?) and not on the back of a dragon. 

On the other hand, Tyrion dragon rider has been suggested since the beginning of the series and is a much safer bet than AJT in the very short term IMHO.

I explained once that the fact that Jon may never ride a dragon could be the reason why the RLJ textual clues were clearer and more frequent than the ones for AJT: once Tyrion rides Viserion, the reader and the people of Westeros will suddenly know AJT is a strong possibility; for Jon a simple testimony (HR?) would not convince the readers had the clues not been so telling before.

Kinda like Varys's evil monologue at the end of Dance!

"The Imp is no longer my brother, if he ever was," she declared. (Cersei VIII, AFFC)

If A+J=T, Tyrion would be Cersei's half brother--a small but significant distinction, as we see in the relationship between Jon and his siblings. Admittedly this works equally well as a clue if Cersei and Jaime are the ones who were fathered by Aerys, not Tyrion, but since there is a lot more evidence for Tyrion being a Targaryen than the twins, at least from what I've seen, I'm more inclined to take it as a hint for AJT. I am quite inclined to take it as a hint though, as Jon has a very similar thought regarding Arya:

Jon had never met anyone so stubborn, except maybe for his little sister Arya. Is she still my sister? he wondered. Was she ever? (Jon III, ASOS)

If R+L=J, Arya would be Jon's cousin, not his (half) sister.

The Imp was lying. Cersei would sooner have Robert's corpse between her legs than a pious fool like Lancel. Tyrion, you evil bastard, you should have lied about someone more likely. (Jaime II, AFFC)

Another reference to Tyrion being a bastard.

"Grand Maester," she said, "share the tidings with the Lord Commander, if you would."

Pycelle looked desperately uncomfortable. "There has been a bird," he said. "From Stokeworth. Lady Tanda sends word that her daughter Lollys has been delivered of a strong, healthy son."

"And you will never guess what they have named the little bastard, brother."

"They wanted to name him Tywin, I recall."

"Yes, but I forbade it. I told Falyse that I would not have our father's noble name bestowed upon the ill-gotten spawn of some pig boy and a feeble-witted sow."

"Lady Stokeworth insists the child's name was not her doing," Grand Maester Pycelle put in. Perspiration dotted his wrinkled forehead. "Lollys's husband made the choice, she writes. This man Bronn, he . . . it would seem that he . . ."

"Tyrion," ventured Jaime. "He named the child Tyrion."

The old man gave a tremulous nod, mopping at his brow with the sleeve of his robe.

Jaime had to laugh. "There you are, sweet sister. You have been looking everywhere for Tyrion, and all the time he's been hiding in Lollys's womb."

"Droll. You and Bronn are both so droll. No doubt the bastard is sucking on one of Lollys Lackwit's dugs even as we speak, whilst this sellsword looks on, smirking at his little insolence."

"Perhaps this child bears some resemblance to your brother," suggested Lady Merryweather. "He might have been born deformed, or without a nose." She laughed a throaty laugh.

"We shall have to send the darling boy a gift," the queen declared. "Won't we, Tommen?"

"We could send him a kitten."

"A lion cub," said Lady Merryweather. To rip his little throat out, her smile suggested.

"I had a different sort of gift in mind," said Cersei.

A new stepfather, most like. (Jaime II, AFFC)

Lollys gave birth to a bastard son who was named Tyrion by her husband, the child’s stepfather. This is exactly what happened to Joanna if A+J=T. Lollys’ child is even directly compared to Tyrion, with Jaime and Taena jokingly suggesting that “the little bastard” may be Tyrion himself, or similar in appearance to him. The term “ill-gotten spawn” is also used to describe the boy, and Tyrion is referred to on two occasions as an “ill-made” creature. Given these similarities, the fact that Lollys was raped when her child was conceived may point to Joanna being raped by Aerys when Tyrion was conceived.

Furthermore, immediately after Jaime thinks Cersei most likely means to have Bronn killed, he notes the look in her eyes, which reminds him of the night when she burned the Tower of the Hand. This in turn reminds Jaime of the way Aerys became aroused after a burning, and how he had raped Rhaella the day he burned Qarlton Chelsted. Jaime only saw Rhaella once after that, the day she departed for Dragonstone, meaning that the previous night was the moment when Dany would have been conceived. So right on the heels of this Lollys parallel, we are given an account of the conception of one of Aerys’ children.

Another similarity, albeit a bit looser, is that Joanna attended the Anniversary Tourney in King’s Landing which was held to celebrate the 10th year of King Aerys II’s reign, and in the following year was “taken to childbed” back at Casterly Rock, the seat of her House. Lollys attended the tourney in King’s Landing which was held to celebrate the 13th name day of King Joffrey (who was called “Aerys the Third” by Tyrion), and in the following year was “taken to bed with the child” back at Stokeworth, the seat of her House.

When she woke the third time, a shaft of golden sunlight was pouring through the smoke hole of the tent, and her arms were wrapped around a dragon's egg. It was the pale one, its scales the color of butter cream, veined with whorls of gold and bronze, and Dany could feel the heat of it. Beneath her bedsilks, a fine sheen of perspiration covered her bare skin. Dragondew, she thought. Her fingers trailed lightly across the surface of the shell, tracing the wisps of gold, and deep in the stone she felt something twist and stretch in response. (Daenerys IX, AGOT)

Tyrion had glimpsed a dozen different sorts: large turtles and small ones, flatbacks and red-ears, softshells and bonesnappers, brown turtles, green turtles, black turtles, clawed turtles and horned turtles, turtles whose ridged and patterned shells were covered with whorls of gold and jade and cream. Some were so large they could have borne a man upon their backs. Yandry swore the Rhoynar princes used to ride them across the river. (Tyrion IV, ADWD)

Tyrion glimpsed turtles on the Rhoyne whose shells were colored similarly to that of Viserion’s egg, and then noted that some these turtles were large enough to ride (and had supposedly been ridden in the past by princes). This may be a subtle allusion to Tyrion riding Viserion in the future.

One of the funny ironies of the AJT theory is that it would mean Tyrion and Jaime killed each other’s fathers, but this observation becomes even more amusing when you consider the following similarity between the two incidents:

When Aerys saw the blood on his blade, he demanded to know if it was Lord Tywin's. "I want him dead, the traitor. I want his head, you'll bring me his head, or you'll burn with all the rest. All the traitors. Rossart says they are inside the walls! He's gone to make them a warm welcome. Whose blood? Whose?"

"Rossart's," answered Jaime.

Those purple eyes grew huge then, and the royal mouth drooped open in shock. He lost control of his bowels, turned, and ran for the Iron Throne. Beneath the empty eyes of the skulls on the walls, Jaime hauled the last dragonking bodily off the steps, squealing like a pig and smelling like a privy. A single slash across his throat was all it took to end it. (Jaime II, ASOS)

"You . . . you are no . . . no son of mine."

"Now that's where you're wrong, Father. Why, I believe I'm you writ small. Do me a kindness now, and die quickly. I have a ship to catch."

For once, his father did what Tyrion asked him. The proof was the sudden stench, as his bowels loosened in the moment of death. Well, he was in the right place for it, Tyrion thought. But the stink that filled the privy gave ample evidence that the oft-repeated jape about his father was just another lie.

Lord Tywin Lannister did not, in the end, shit gold. (Tyrion XI, ASOS)

Perhaps this is a fairly obvious point, but it only recently occurred to me that in addition to the mothers of Dany, Jon (assuming RLJ), and Tyrion all dying in childbirth, their names even sound similar:

Rhaella

Lyanna

Joanna

11 hours ago, Jo Maltese said:

Dragon riding is not a given at all for Jon in the short term. I actually can't think of any convincing textual hint that Jon will be riding a dragon at all. Hints that he IS a Dragon do exist of course, and many think (inc. me) that his DNA test is somewhere in Winterfell crypts (Lyanna's tomb?) and not on the back of a dragon. 

On the other hand, Tyrion dragon rider has been suggested since the beginning of the series and is a much safer bet than AJT in the very short term IMHO.

I explained once that the fact that Jon may never ride a dragon could be the reason why the RLJ textual clues were clearer and more frequent than the ones for AJT: once Tyrion rides Viserion, the reader and the people of Westeros will suddenly know AJT is a strong possibility; for Jon a simple testimony (HR?) would not convince the readers had the clues not been so telling before.

The most direct clue I know of that Jon will ride a dragon is the following thought he has while defending the Wall from the wildlings:

We should have twenty trebuchets, not two, and they should be mounted on sledges and turntables so we could move them. It was a futile thought. He might as well wish for another thousand men, and maybe a dragon or three. (Jon VIII, ASOS)

The funny thing is, the first part of Jon's wish did come true: in Jon X, ASOS, Stannis arrives at Castle Black with around a thousand men to save the day. So if the second half of Jon's wish is just as likely to occur as the first half, and the first half came true ...

Im all for Tyrion Dragon Rider Supreme. I'm also fearful of this to giving Tyrion a nuclear bomb seems like a bad idea. He will finally have real power to go along with his wicket mind. There will be blood gallons of it.

I dont like the idea of Jon on a dragon. I feel Jon's role will be Winning the War of the Dawn 2.0 then restoring a Stark to Winterfel. He might rule as regent but he will pass the rule to Rickon or Sansa. He also will break the social barriers of Wildings vs North Men accepting them into the realm.  Jon wont go south past the neck. He wont rule in Kings Landing. 

9 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Kinda like Varys's evil monologue at the end of Dance!

Exactly!

5 hours ago, Shmedricko said:

If A+J=T, Tyrion would be Cersei's half brother--a small but significant distinction, as we see in the relationship between Jon and his siblings. Admittedly this works equally well as a clue if Cersei and Jaime are the ones who were fathered by Aerys, not Tyrion, but since there is a lot more evidence for Tyrion being a Targaryen than the twins, at least from what I've seen, I'm more inclined to take it as a hint for AJT. I am quite inclined to take it as a hint though, as Jon has a very similar thought regarding Arya:

Lollys gave birth to a bastard son who was named Tyrion by her husband, the child’s stepfather. This is exactly what happened to Joanna if A+J=T. Lollys’ child is even directly compared to Tyrion, with Jaime and Taena jokingly suggesting that “the little bastard” may be Tyrion himself, or similar in appearance to him. The term “ill-gotten spawn” is also used to describe the boy, and Tyrion is referred to on two occasions as an “ill-made” creature. Given these similarities, the fact that Lollys was raped when her child was conceived may point to Joanna being raped by Aerys when Tyrion was conceived.

Furthermore, immediately after Jaime thinks Cersei most likely means to have Bronn killed, he notes the look in her eyes, which reminds him of the night when she burned the Tower of the Hand. This in turn reminds Jaime of the way Aerys became aroused after a burning, and how he had raped Rhaella the day he burned Qarlton Chelsted. Jaime only saw Rhaella once after that, the day she departed for Dragonstone, meaning that the previous night was the moment when Dany would have been conceived. So right on the heels of this Lollys parallel, we are given an account of the conception of one of Aerys’ children.

Another similarity, albeit a bit looser, is that Joanna attended the Anniversary Tourney in King’s Landing which was held to celebrate the 10th year of King Aerys II’s reign, and in the following year was “taken to childbed” back at Casterly Rock, the seat of her House. Lollys attended the tourney in King’s Landing which was held to celebrate the 13th name day of King Joffrey (who was called “Aerys the Third” by Tyrion), and in the following year was “taken to bed with the child” back at Stokeworth, the seat of her House.

Tyrion glimpsed turtles on the Rhoyne whose shells were colored similarly to that of Viserion’s egg, and then noted that some these turtles were large enough to ride (and had supposedly been ridden in the past by princes). This may be a subtle allusion to Tyrion riding Viserion in the future.

One of the funny ironies of the AJT theory is that it would mean Tyrion and Jaime killed each other’s fathers, but this observation becomes even more amusing when you consider the following similarity between the two incidents:

(...)

Some excellent points here, even some new ones I think (the turtle riding); UL you may want to add some of these in the hidden part of the OP?

No matter who Tyrion's father is, no matter who Cersei and Jamie's father is, he is Cersei's brother. That is something that won't change if Tyrion is revealed to have another father. Even if Aerys does turn out to have fathered any of the Lannister children, their are still siblings, and Tyrion is still Cersei's brother.

Perhaps this is a fairly obvious point, but it only recently occurred to me that in addition to the mothers of Dany, Jon (assuming RLJ), and Tyrion all dying in childbirth, their names even sound similar:

Rhaella

Lyanna

Joanna

The most direct clue I know of that Jon will ride a dragon is the following thought he has while defending the Wall from the wildlings:

The funny thing is, the first part of Jon's wish did come true: in Jon X, ASOS, Stannis arrives at Castle Black with around a thousand men to save the day. So if the second half of Jon's wish is just as likely to occur as the first half, and the first half came true ...

Great finds. You don't post often (only 3 total posts), but when you do, they are really good. I did not think new references were out there -- but you found some. I continue to be amazed not so much at the resistance that this theory gets (I suppose I have gotten used to it) -- but how many people still think the theory is completely crackpot based solely on wishful thinking. Even if the theory turns out not to be accurate -- I don't see how anyone could maintain with all these potential clues that the theory is simply crackpot or wishful thinking.

I will try to add some of the new quotes you found to the quote section in the OP (which has been set forth as hidden content -- but only for space reasons).

2 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

No matter who Tyrion's father is, no matter who Cersei and Jamie's father is, he is Cersei's brother. That is something that won't change if Tyrion is revealed to have another father. Even if Aerys does turn out to have fathered any of the Lannister children, their are still siblings, and Tyrion is still Cersei's brother.

RT -- Shmendricko acknowledges that point above and notes that Tyrion would actually be Cersei's half-brother rather than full-blood brother. Here is exactly what Shmendricko states in that regards: "If A+J=T, Tyrion would be Cersei's half brother--a small but significant distinction". So no one is denying that there is a difference between half-brother and cousin -- but half-brother is still different than full-blood brother.

2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I think this is more of GRRM subtly give the readers more and more reason to doubt Tyrion's heritage, not a flat out piece of foreshadowing.

"if he ever was" can gives the idea like there is some hidden history that not everyone knows, one that deserves a little digging.

12 hours ago, Shmedricko said:

Rhaella

Lyanna

Joanna

Very convincing! I enjoyed your astute and subtle use of the text. Btw, which online site would you recommend when scanning for quotes? (I tried asearchoficeandfire.com, but couldn't access it when I tried typing).

7 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

Very convincing! I enjoyed your astute and subtle use of the text. Btw, which online site would you recommend when scanning for quotes? (I tried asearchoficeandfire.com, but couldn't access it when I tried typing).

I have had no problem searching for quotes in asearchoficeandfire.com. Are you making sure that you check which books you want searched before completing the search?

25 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

As long as you have selected the books you wish to search, that site should give you no problems.. Selecting books on a mobile phone can be tricky, though.. I've noticed that often, AGOT is searched whilst the boxes is not checked, and re-checking it and undoing that, usually helps.

Another thing I've noticed last week is that, once you've selected Winds, sorting by POV doesn't work anymore. POV searches only work up until Dance (though, by all I know, that issue has already been fixed. I last noticed the issue a few days back).

1 minute ago, King Viserys Targaryen IV said:

I had never seen that search site before. That is awesome. That would have saved me Hours and Hours of internet searching....

I thought you knew about it. I have been using for quite some time now. It has been invaluable in my posts as I can fairly easily get the exact quote I need. Sorry -- I would have told you if I thought you did not know about it.

14 hours ago, Shmedricko said:

[...]

Thank you thank you thank you for presenting evidence based on close reading, and not on your personal opinions and tastes. We need that!

And welcome.:cheers:

Also, good handle - referencing one of the greatest wizards that ever lived!

1 hour ago, UnmaskedLurker said:

I have had no problem searching for quotes in asearchoficeandfire.com. Are you making sure that you check which books you want searched before completing the search?

41 minutes ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

As long as you have selected the books you wish to search, that site should give you no problems.. Selecting books on a mobile phone can be tricky, though.. I've noticed that often, AGOT is searched whilst the boxes is not checked, and re-checking it and undoing that, usually helps

Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I was trying to access it from a PC, not mobile phone. Still can't understand why the site is not registering my cursor, so I'm unable to check or type a thing. The only part of the screen registering my cursor is a box in the upper right-hand corner requesting 'donations' (for 'beer/server costs'...), so I initially thought the site was not available without payment! Could it have something to do with my security settings? If anyone has any ideas about circumventing these glitches, please let me know.

12 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

Thanks for your suggestions, guys. I was trying to access it from a PC, not mobile phone. Still can't understand why the site is not registering my cursor, so I'm unable to check or type a thing. The only part of the screen registering my cursor is a box in the upper right-hand corner requesting 'donations' (for 'beer/server costs'...), so I initially thought the site was not available without payment! Could it have something to do with my security settings? If anyone has any ideas about circumventing these glitches, please let me know.

What browser are you using? You might try a different one.

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Y'all knew about this, right?

Tyrion II, Storm 12 

I've never seen that mentioned as a potential clue before. It reminds me of this:

"Henceforth think of them as our little secrets, Varys." Tyrion glanced up at the eunuch in his smelly mummer's garb. "Assuming you are on my side . . ."

"Can you doubt it?"

"Why no, I trust you implicitly." A bitter laugh echoed off the shuttered windows. "I trust you like one of my own blood, in truth." (Tyrion X, ACOK)

Archived