Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

1 minute ago, Mister Stoneheart said:

This ticked me off in the released trailer.  Yara is into men in the books.  Yeah, she's strong willed and fierce, but that doesn't mean you have to make her a lesbian to justify that fierceness (stereotypes!).  There are plenty of straight women who can kick ass.

Does this mean Arya and Obara and Ygritte are all gay??!!! Shocking!

Oh after seeing the new trailer and the 'now you are part of the game' bit I'm sure that the whole Rape the Stark bit was to both 'Empower Sansa' in order to make her worthy of marrying Creepyfinger while also making LF the man in her life who wasn't the worst choice.

I'll go so far as to say Sansa's pregnancy might be late season and LF's.  He needs something to legitimize his control over the north more than just defeating the Boltons.

Sandor: "There's plenty worse than me. There are men who like to beat little girls. Men who like to rape them. Saved your sister from some of them."

Arya: "You're lying."

Sandor: "Ask her, if you ever see her again. Ask her who came back for her, when the mob had her on her back. They would have taken her every which way and left her with her throat cut open."

And he's coming back. And I think it's for her. In spite of all the hell they put her through, I think they are still going to go there with SanSan. I'm certain the books will. And the show has been hinting long enough.

1 hour ago, ArabellaVidal said:

It's like they read the criticism's headings but not the actual content. Completely miss the point. With all the outrage about rape on the show, they took it to mean that people didn't want rape to be depicted rather than investigating to find out that it's the treatment of rape that critics object to.

It's almost hilarious how much they don't get it. 

They must be genuinely confused that Jessica Jones and Orange is the New Black didn't get destroyed by critics. 

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

Here's more:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2016/03/11/how_basic_cable_distinguishes_the_walking_dead_from_game_of_thrones.html

I stopped watching TWD a while back, it was too relentlessly dark, but I'll say this, I never felt distanced as a female viewer, I always felt included. No male gaze bullshit. And the writing was pretty good, overall. Sometimes overly manipulative, but at least it mostly made sense, and wasn't downright offensive like Game of Thrones. She's making good points about the differences, and that's attributable to those making the show, more than what's allowed on camera vs. not. I've listened to both, extensively, and TWD they are putting  a lot of thought and care into these things, even though sometimes they miss, they do aim well.

(fixed the article quotes)

Yah know, I do still watch The Walking Dead because I have an totally real and fun irrational fear of zombies existing in real life. And alligators in the sewers. (I tell you guys waaayyy tooo much on here) But the other weekend when Rick and

Spoiler

Michonne

hooked up and then had to pop out of bed because a "bad guy" entered the room... you could totally tell that they really liked each other, it was totally consensual and even naturally flirty and it was obvious they had sex... but not once did they show so much as a butt crack. You got the afterglow shots and then the they pop up out of bed, both naked, but there were zero slow pans over groomed pubes or underboob or man bits. I was smart enough to figure out they had sex and like each other. Go frickin' figure  :dunno:

5 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

You got the afterglow shots and then the they pop up out of bed, both naked, but there were zero slow pans over groomed pubes or underboob or man bits. I was smart enough to figure out they had sex and like each other. Go frickin' figure  :dunno:

And I saw that coming a couple seasons ago. Because they built up to it, with the storytelling. Stuff like that doesn't have to come out of nowhere. Start and then stop and then SHAZAMMM!!! Who knew.

57 minutes ago, Myrish Swamp-Thing said:

D&D fanboys & fangirls keep telling us that GoT is still so much better than anything else on TV (might've been true for seasons 1-3).

I don't watch much TV, but from my tiny sample, I think of "Bones" as an example. A mediocre show that I stopped caring for since about season 4, full of tropes and all you like, but I don't remember so many pieces of dialogue being so downright offensive as some of GoT seasons 4-5, not even the Booth character whose dimness is played up for laughs.

I'm sure this applies to lots of drama shows considered 2nd or 3rd tier (for the sake of a level playing field let's not even talk about comedies).

Except it was never true for seasons 1-3. Breaking Bad was always the superior television series.

The irony is that nothing is quite taking up the 'golden age' mantle currently so the position is up for grabs. If it was seasons 1-3 now of GoT a case could be made for it. There are lots of good but not particularly special shows around currently; certainly nothing to match Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood etc (and GoT was never and will never be on their level).

Yup. It's something like a sport for GoT inconditional fans to compare it favorably to TWD, since they're apparently the top 2 current series in terms of audience. Now you're making me want to give it a chance, at least for a conversation topic with some acquaintances who watch it.

3 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Except it was never true for seasons 1-3. Breaking Bad was always the superior television series.

That's true. My sentence was certainly incomplete.

BTW, it's not there yet, but Better Call Saul is shaping up to be a worthy successor for BrBa. I can only imagine what GoT would have been in Vince Gilligan's hands, and it makes me want to cry.

DVD commentary... More costume nonsense for our torment and delight:

Season five, according to costume designer Michele Clapton, is the first time you’ll see Cersei re-wearing costumes, representing that she has lost her position. Cersei wears mourning colours not only to mourn the loss of her son Joffrey, but also of her power and control. Clapton describes Cersei’s metal belts as her "armour"... Margaery’s season five costumes, such as her wedding dress, are less revealing than previously to signify her having achieved power and no longer needing to bare as much flesh on her way up the ladder. They’re exclusively gold now to reflect her Queenly status. And rub it in Cersei's face... Sansa’s costumes and travelling cloak in season five mimics Littlefinger’s in order to visually bond them and reflect the fact that Sansa sees them as a team. At the beginning of the season at least...

And lest they ever say they just don't have enough time to tell the book story:

The character of Myranda, Ramsay’s mistress, was written especially for Charlotte Hope after she impressed the showrunners on hire as a day player. Indira Varma, Jacob Anderson and Nathalie Emmanuel’s characters, Ellaria, Grey Worm and Missandei, were also expanded because of how much the showrunners liked their performances.

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/game-of-thrones/39270/game-of-thrones-season-5-what-we-learned-from-the-blu-rays

19 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

The irony is that nothing is quite taking up the 'golden age' mantle currently so the position is up for grabs. If it was seasons 1-3 now of GoT a case could be made for it. There are lots of good but not particularly special shows around currently; certainly nothing to match Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood etc (and GoT was never and will never be on their level).

Mad Men, the first four seasons, were excellent, too. Far superior to Game of Thrones. No comparison. Then the showrunner became obsessed with Megan, but if you ignored his indulgences, the series was still better than Game of Thrones the last few seasons.

They hired an actress of Indira Varma's resume but had to be impressed by her on set to give her a story for season 5? Really?

I had real doubts back in S4 when they cast her. I thought, why are they wasting money to hire her for what is relatively a small part? She has an expanded role in S5, no matter how stupid it is, so they must have got her back then with this stupidity in mind. And now I'm wondering why they cast Alexander Siddig. What further moronicness must we witness next season?

As it has been stated as others, what the cast, showrunners in the outside the episode comments do not seem to understand that what they claim we are viewing is not what we are viewing. Sansa is probably the most confusing character of them all and either completely stupid or a willing traitor to her own family. Probably both. They have really fucked up her character the most.

If the rumor of her showing up with Littlefinger and the Vale to the battle, it will be after Littlefinger blackmails her into promissing to marry him for their support and killing Ramsay. He does nothing for free.

5 minutes ago, ArabellaVidal said:

They hired an actress of Indira Varma's resume but had to be impressed by her on set to give her a story for season 5? Really?

I had real doubts back in S4 when they cast her. I thought, why are they wasting money to hire her for what is relatively a small part? She has an expanded role in S5, no matter how stupid it is, so they must have got her back then with this stupidity in mind. And now I'm wondering why they cast Alexander Siddig. What further moronicness must we witness next season?

This was exactly my immediate first thought when I read that bit. Indira comes from an HBO lineage (Rome) on top of her other work. They should have known her value and talent to begin with. I hated her character in S5. That was a huge waste of her talent.

Max VonSydow I think will be a waste in S6. His talent is unbelievable, but I feel they are going to strip Bloodraven down to kindly little bits and do everyone a disservice. Hopefully I am wrong... but we should all know better by now :thumbsup:

Just now, The Fattest Leech said:

This was exactly my immediate first thought when I read that bit. Indira comes from an HBO lineage (Rome) on top of her other work. They should have known her value and talent to begin with. I hated her character in S5. That was a huge waste of her talent.

Max VonSydow I think will be a waste in S6. His talent is unbelievable, but I feel they are going to strip Bloodraven down to kindly little bits and do everyone a disservice. Hopefully I am wrong... but we should all know better by now :thumbsup:

This really annoys me ... I want my annoying 3EC and the mysterious tree guy. I want someone of whom you suspect they might be evil. 

They tried to do this with Jojen (or they just wanted an excuse he did not yet turn up during season 2 :bang: 6 hours waiting for nothing.) They wanted the audience to thing he might trick Bran ... but that is Bloodraven's role (Personally, I think BR is at the same side as men ... but I do fear he will do something utilitaristic. Never underestimate tree guys.) :dunno: Oh why? 

18 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

As it has been stated as others, what the cast, showrunners in the outside the episode comments do not seem to understand that what they claim we are viewing is not what we are viewing. Sansa is probably the most confusing character of them all and either completely stupid or a willing traitor to her own family. Probably both. They have really fucked up her character the most.

They are truly one of those juvenile readers of Sansa-chapters who don't get what they are reading.

It is also incomprehensible to me why they cut out Dontos immediately after introducing him in S2. He would have been a classic case of someone who seems to be completely in it for Sansa's welfare and his betrayal (taking money from Baelish) would have been a nice, juicy shock. Something they kind of like. Instead we have further LF-is-actually-stupid scenes where he pretty much reveals himself by visiting Sansa with Ros and Shae bonding in the background. In the books there is real mystery around LF whereas in the show the mystery is how he ever rose so high in the first place. And Dontos only re-appearing to hand over Sansa to LF while Jaime and Brienne look on.

2 minutes ago, ArabellaVidal said:

They are truly one of those juvenile readers of Sansa-chapters who don't get what they are reading.

It is also incomprehensible to me why they cut out Dontos immediately after introducing him in S2. He would have been a classic case of someone who seems to be completely in it for Sansa's welfare and his betrayal (taking money from Baelish) would have been a nice, juicy shock. Something they kind of like. Instead we have further LF-is-actually-stupid scenes where he pretty much reveals himself by visiting Sansa with Ros and Shae bonding in the background. In the books there is real mystery around LF whereas in the show the mystery is how he ever rose so high in the first place.

to take it further, show Sansa seems to be completely oblivious that Littlefinger had something to do with her father's downfall and execution. Like, why was he awarded Harenhal and the Riverlands?

Archived