Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

I'm still awaiting the utter horror story predicted here a few years ago. Jon and Dany lead an army of Ewoks against the Others. Sansa is about to be raped by the Others, but Arya wargs into a dragon to rescue her. Dying, Jaime reveals to Jon that he's his father. The survivors celebrate with a huge party at Winterfell.

Oh, we've seen some horrible things wished for over the years, that's for sure. There were actual threads, I'm sure I could find a dozen in as many minutes, "Sansa should have appreciated Tyrion" and then they had her do it, then, right on cue, like that was the point of the whole thing. Also, predictably, the horrible things that were said after that.

I've lost count of the number of people who call Sansa " a bitch" for rejecting Tyrion on their wedding night.

4 hours ago, Tijgy said:

I think the moment I lost all faith in the show was Mel boobs and Jon scene. That was just too much (and I actually think the whole street heard me cry Nee! (No in Dutch). Like twenty times and I probably also threw some things. And then I started to visit the R&R threads. 

I knew this thing would be ridiculous when Maggy the Frog looked like a drunk Gaga after a party.

maxresdefault.jpg

"I slept with you? you sure?"

6 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Asha's dagger sex scene with Qarl would have been hot. And he'd have been an easy new character to introduce. Something genuinely empowering for her, and a love story, too. When she thought they would die, she thought at least it would be together. Something to offset the twincest sex nobody wants to see, too. 

Oh no... people DO want to see the twincest sex. People luuuuuuuuurvs morbid sex, and GoT makes headlines due to that "look! is the show when the brother and sister have sex!". They're going to exploit it until they won't be able anymore.

Normal sex is for Outlanders and Vikings.

5 minutes ago, JonCon's Red Beard said:

I knew this thing would be ridiculous when Maggy the Frog looked like a drunk Gaga after a party.

"I slept with you? you sure?"

Oh no... people DO want to see the twincest sex. People luuuuuuuuurvs morbid sex, and GoT makes headlines due to that "look! is the show when the brother and sister have sex!". They're going to exploit it until they won't be able anymore.

Normal sex is for Outlanders and Vikings.

Maggy the Fox! :lol:

I get your point, wench, but I think most have had enough, it's called beating a dead horse at this point. (Or a dead Jaime's "manhood" because stick a fork in it, it's done.) This is yesterday's old, groan not again enough already will you please move the hell on, shock.

44 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Are you a virgin, too. Wouldn't want the "resurrection" to come too soon. Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride. Much moaning and groaning. His "mast" will be jutting from his fully clothed body, obscured a la convenient props, then we'll see we've seen nothing yet when it comes to naked as a jaybird Mel and teh sex.

Nooooo, please, help!!!! Can you imagine?? We may be in for . . . necrophilia!!!! I'm not sure I could recover. And can I ran a little about Mel's bewbs? I have a feeling they ain't what they used to be . . . 6 years ago now.

The twincest is a formative, life-shaping experience for both Jaime and Cersei, and they are who they are in part because of their relationship with one another and the symbolism of their last sexual encounter being beside the corpse of Joffrey (the toxic fruit of their incestuous, treacherous relationship) is stunning - and COMPLETELY IGNORED on the show because I guess Cersei is so awesome that they don't understand how anyone could possibly reject her. It's not like she's done anything that bad on the show anyway - Jaime is far, FAR worse!! (Has Cersei even launched her anti-dwarf murder campaign or given a single female prisoner to Qyburn for experimentation on the show? Nope! But Jaime wants to cut Tyrion in half and will no doubt trebuchet a baby when the time comes!)

Jaime is one of Martin's most finely drawn characters - like nearly everyone else, I fucking hated the guy in the first book (my first inklings that he might be more were not until that great scene in Riverrun with Cat) and then somehow, through Martin's skill, he has become my favorite male character in the series, which speaks to Martin's skill as a writer of complex and fascinating characters and the way he uses his unreliable narrators to shape your perceptions of the story and characters. Jaime's slow disillusionment with his lifelong lover, his lonely quest to be Goldenhand (when even his own loving relatives, like Aunt Genna, don't believe it!) and his growing independence from the patterns of thought and action that he's been locked into for much of his adult life are WONDERFUL. And it angers me so much that two people who supposedly are creative artists - one a novelist - can look at this character and decide to throw out everything that GRRM did with him in three books, and have him regress back to being his sister's lapdog - WHY??? Is it just that they're so enamored of their Show!Cersei that they can't fathom anyone rejecting her? (I think some of their love for Show!Cersei is bleeding into their portrayal of Sansa as well; in the books, Cersei is contemptuous of every woman who isn't Cersei, and that contempt is particularly stark in her cruel treatment of Sansa, but the showrunners seem to have bought right into Cersei's perceptions of Sansa and show her as the naive, silly girl that Cersei believes her to be.) 

Sigh! At least "The Night Manager" will be airing right around when GoT begins so I will have something to counter the hype :P

LeCygne, I agree, I don't think there's a huge pro-incest lobby of show viewers - I really have no idea why they are dragging out Jaime's moving on from Cersei (and maybe they won't have that ever happen, who knows?) I think they are really caught up in the Tragedy of Cersei Lannister, and so they're making it last for many seasons? I dunno! (And even the incest, which seems pretty much consensual from both parties - or even I daresay with Cersei's being the prime mover - seems laid more at Jaime's door on the show: I've seen Show Only people speculate that Jaime has always forced Cersei to be part of this relationship based on the scenes we've had between them. I think it's a fair speculation if you've never read the books, tbh. What a scumbag Show!Jaime is! Maybe the BwB will feed him to Rh'llor this season.) Probably no doubt forcing Cersei into more incest is another way to show that Jaime is a monster; meanwhile PedoPetyr gets to be the atoning hero?

I keep thinking that I've moved into the acceptance phase, but then I think about what they've done to my favorite characters (Catelyn, Brienne, Jaime) and I get all ranty again :P Maybe when I finally get my hands on WoW, I'll be able to calm down.

Just now, Karmarni said:

Nooooo, please, help!!!! Can you imagine?? We may be in for . . . necrophilia!!!! I'm not sure I could recover. And can I ran a little about Mel's bewbs? I have a feeling they ain't what they used to be . . . 6 years ago now.

Given the trailer clip, I think it's almost impossible we don't get it.  Change that may to most likely.

^^So true. My brain has already started melting. I managed to watch the trailer, but haven't seen it but a couple times through in it's entirety.

So there's never going to be any real love that's not twisted or invested with some kind of WTF for WTF's sake 

Are you a virgin, too. Wouldn't want the "resurrection" to come too soon. Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy ride. Much moaning and groaning. His "mast" will be jutting from his fully clothed body, obscured a la convenient props, then we'll see we've seen nothing yet when it comes to naked as a jaybird Mel and teh sex.

Nooooo, please, help!!!! Can you imagine?? We may be in for . . . necrophilia!!!! I'm not sure I could recover. And can I ran a little about Mel's bewbs? I have a feeling they ain't what they used to be . . . 6 years ago now.

Mel will be a sort of female version of Jimmy Savile, having hot sex with a reanimated corpse.

And I am forever angry at no Qarl the Maid. They turned him into a real woman.

Though I'm beginning now to see how they managed to turn things from the books into stepped up, ramped up, testosterone charged moments in the show. And that also is making my brain melt.

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

Well, lost all faith, that happened earlier, but season 5 was, there's a line they crossed I thought even they wouldn't cross, but they just didn't care. (In other words, they played right into the horrible fandom hate for a female character, in the worst possible way.)

I had the first misgivings during the sexpositiion scene in season 1, not so much for the sexpostion but for Littlefinger acting so out of character. It got worse with the introduction of Tally Nightingale in season 2, and I think I lost it somewhere during the mess that was Craster's Keep. 

Plus, the visuals - clothes, castles, arms (what arms? ;) ) and such didn't respond to my idea of how things should look, it felt jarring more than once. There wasn't even snow when they found the direwolves, and the hairstylists must have hated all the women since season 1. While in case of LOTR the visuals were one of the things that worked for me, inlcuding the amazing way they did Gollum.

If the Yara and Qarl the Actual Maid situation turns out to be true, this is just like students having glanced over the book and then trying to write a report on it. And the teacher takes one look and says, "You didn't actually read the book, did you?" 

But I guess reading comprehension is for third graders, or what not.

19 minutes ago, Gabriele said:

I had the first misgivings during the sexpositiion scene in season 1, not so much for the sexpostion but for Littlefinger acting so out of character. It got worse with the introduction of Tally Nightingale in season 2, and I think I lost it somewhere during the mess that was Craster's Keep. 

I disliked this scene as well for broadcasting how "evil" Littlefinger is. I felt his betrayal and eventual reveal as The One Who Started It All would have been so much more powerful without this very pointless interlude. Of course, I also hoped the show was trying to make Sansa more likable at one point. Since her show character was older, they'd added in parts to make her seem less of a naive child for trusting Joffrey, like when he apologizes to her for the river incident. They remove her telling Cersei about Ned's plans, a moment which a lot of Sansa-dislikers and haters cite for their feelings towards her. 

And then they crap it down their pants after season 2. 

12 minutes ago, Liver and Onions said:

They remove her telling Cersei about Ned's plans, a moment which a lot of Sansa-dislikers and haters cite for their feelings towards her. 

But they also missed the symbolic role of this: with Lady's death, Sansa lost her Stark identity. She looks for another identity and thinks she'll find it as bride of the crown prince and future queen, and acts towards that. Of course, that's happening subconsciously, but Martin put those direwolves there for a reason, and Identity is one of the themes (dare I use this terrible word? :P ) of his books. 

On my mobile so pardon if this has already been posted... But have you read what Ian McShane said about his "spoiler" about his character last week? 

The best line says something like "it's only tits and dragons". Hahahaaaaa! 

http://watchersonthewall.com/ian-mcshane-addresses-the-reactions-to-his-game-of-thrones-spoilers/#comment-538436 

p.s. 

I loathe having to link to this site. 

Ian McShane is hilarious: 

“You say the slightest thing and the internet goes ape,” McShane tells The Telegraph. “I was accused of giving the plot away, but I just think get a f—ing life. It’s only tits and dragons.”

He explains, “They asked me if I wanted to do Game of Thrones and I said, ‘Sure, I’ll be able to see my old pals Charlie Dance and Stephen Dillane’ and they said, ‘No, we’ve killed them off.’ I wasn’t sure whether I could commit, but then they said it would only be for one episode, so I said, ‘So that means I must die at the end of it. Great, I’m in.’ ”

It’s unclear whether or not McShane was just being facetious with his remark- it seems very likely. We do already know that his role is only for one episode. Bringing in an actor of McShane’s caliber for only one episode seemed surprising, but if he were given a big, memorable death scene, that could explain it.

http://watchersonthewall.com/ian-mcshane-addresses-the-reactions-to-his-game-of-thrones-spoilers/#more-57596

Just now, The Fattest Leech said:

We must be synced today :thumbsup:

Yes :D LOL. It looks like he is really interested in acting in GoT. It is kind of cute he actually just wanted to do it because he wanted to act with his pals. 

41 minutes ago, Gabriele said:

But they also missed the symbolic role of this: with Lady's death, Sansa lost her Stark identity. She looks for another identity and thinks she'll find it as bride of the crown prince and future queen, and acts towards that. Of course, that's happening subconsciously, but Martin put those direwolves there for a reason, and Identity is one of the themes (dare I use this terrible word? :P ) of his books. 

And don't forget, "Get her a dog, she'll be happier for it." And over and over again, she thinks of Lady, and a certain Hound pops up, if he's not there, in her thoughts and dreams. At one point she's thinking, Lady "could smell out falsehood" and she runs right into the Hound, who says "A dog can smell a lie." She thinks will I ever see Lady again, and backs into the Hound. She has a dream about the Hound in bed and wishes the hound (who she made fast friends with, who licked her face, dog unkiss!) is Lady. He's not being subtle at all about this, it's all over the pages. The Hound replaced Lady.

I love this (I'll directly link to the source site). :lol:

He is also about to appear in Game of Thrones. In his cavalier way the other day, he lit up the internet by letting slip that his character, a priest, brings back a popular character who was thought to have died in an earlier episode. “You say the slightest thing and the internet goes ape,” he says. “I was accused of giving the plot away, but I just think get a f---ing life. It’s only tits and dragons.

They asked me if I wanted to do Game of Thrones and I said, 'Sure, I’ll be able to see my old pals Charlie Dance and Stephen Dillane’ and they said, 'No, we’ve killed them off.’ I wasn’t sure whether I could commit, but then they said it would only be for one episode, so I said, 'So that means I must die at the end of it. Great, I’m in.’ ” (And with that, he gives away another plot twist.)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/03/11/ian-mcshane-game-of-thrones-is-just-tits-and-dragons/

Most of us who were paying attention to the Hound's role in the story (as in, no way in hell is he at peace as a celibate silent monk) thought he'd return, and many of us instantly thought McShane would play this role on the show, as soon as it was announced.

6 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

And don't forget, "Get her a dog, she'll be happier for it." And over and over again, she thinks of Lady, and a certain Hound pops up, if he's not there, in her thoughts and dreams. At one point she's thinking, Lady can sniff out a lie, and she runs right into the Hound, who says A dog can smell a lie. She thinks will I ever see Lady again, and backs into the Hound. She has a dream about the Hound in bed and wishes the hound she made fast friends with who licked her face is Lady. He's not being subtle at all about this, it's all over the pages. The Hound replaced Lady.

And in the show she'll probably end up with Littlefinger. :blush: Which proves again that D&D don't 'get' the books.

(I made the mistake to read some comments elsewhere where D&D are regarded  as saintly as Tyrion. Needed to come here to get my brain cleansed. :D )

Archived