Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

2 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

:ack:

Another whitewashing of Saint Tyrion.  Remember, in D&D's mind, apparently, she was wrong to refuse him and deserved to be punished for it, so in the show, they did, via Ramsay, just after she honored Tyrion like they obviously feel she should have in the books.

I have no real sympathy for Tyrion. Books or show. He may not have all the affection from his father but he has his gold, his name and protection and he spends both lavishly on himself. With a smart ass mouth like his and the obvious inability to physically back it up by himself, another person of his stature and attitude would have been dead long ago.

Feasts bring out the worst in Tyrion. I think it's the situation where he is most aware of his stature.

And, he just can't keep his mouth shut.

I'm willing to be bet that when he eventually meets Dany in TWOW, he won't be able to resist making a lewd joke at her expense.

Just now, A Ghost of Someone said:

Another whitewashing of Saint Tyrion.  Remember, in D&D's mind, apparently, she was wrong to refuse him and deserved to be punished for it, so in the show, they did, via Ramsay, just after she honored Tyrion like they obviously feel she should have in the books.

She is really made into a secondary character in a lot of men's storylines: Tyrion, LF, Ramsay and now Rickon/Jon? It actually really hurts because she is my favorite female primary character. :crying:

3 minutes ago, Gabriele said:

Feasts bring out the worst in Tyrion. I think it's the situation where he is most aware of his stature. 

Summons to recollection memories of the Iliad, culminating in the understated contrast between Odysseus and Achilles. 

But, since this one mention has very little to do with the topic close to hand, feel free to pass on...

1 minute ago, Tijgy said:

She is really made into a secondary character in a lot of men's storylines: Tyrion, LF, Ramsay and now Rickon/Jon? It actually really hurts because she is my favorite female primary character. :crying:

My heart is with her in the books, she has come around from the little, 11 year old in book 1. As of winds, she is still only 13 and has had a whole family she has known and then losts. She is suffering from ptsd in the books, clearly, she is dillusional so as to cope with her life. The show has made her stupid and constantly inconsistent and a traitor to her own family, long after the incident in season one on the Trident with Joff and Nymeria, Arya's direwolf.

3 minutes ago, Étoile du Soir said:

Summons to recollection memories of the Iliad, culminating in the understated contrast between Odysseus and Achilles. 

But, since this one mention has very little to do with the topic close to hand, feel free to pass on...

Fine, now you make me reread the Illiad. :D

I have no real sympathy for Tyrion. Books or show. He may not have all the affection from his father but he has his gold, his name and protection and he spends both lavishly on himself. With a smart ass mouth like his and the obvious inability to physically back it up by himself, another person of his stature and attitude would have been dead long ago.

I have some sympathy for him. He does attract far more abuse than he deserves. Imagine being told by your father "You ask that? You who killed you mother to come into the world. You are an ill-made, devious, deceitful little creature, full of envy, malice, and lust. To teach me humility, the gods have condemned me to watch you waddle about......." and so on.

But, he does tend to brush all criticism as being down to his being a dwarf.

7 minutes ago, SeanF said:

And, he just can't keep his mouth shut.

That, too. :D

But maybe the road boat trip in Dance, where he can't get away with it the way he could as Tyrion Lannister, will teach him a bit more caution. 

4 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

In my experience, fans are quick to grant Tyrion or Cersei a pardon, even in prospect of all that they've done over the years, but with Jaime things are very different indeed. Almost akin to, it makes no matter, he's too male and pretty for that.

(I mean, not that Tywin exercised his tyrranical authority over all three of his children, no, it was all sunshine and puppies for the elder son, little did we know, none but Tyrion and Cersei got the wrong end of the bargain...)  

She is really made into a secondary character in a lot of men's storylines: Tyrion, LF, Ramsay and now Rickon/Jon? It actually really hurts because she is my favorite female primary character. :crying:

My heart is with her in the books, she has come around from the little, 11 year old in book 1. As of winds, she is still only 13 and has had a whole family she has known and then losts. She is suffering from ptsd in the books, clearly, she is dillusional so as to cope with her life. The show has made her stupid and constantly inconsistent and a traitor to her own family, long after the incident in season one on the Trident with Joff and Nymeria, Arya's direwolf.

Actually, I don't get the impression that she's suffering from PTSD in the books. Like a lot of people who are in situations of deadly danger, she seems to be quite cool and rational. It's when the danger ends, that quite often such people have a complete breakdown.

9 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I have some sympathy for him. He does attract far more abuse than he deserves. Imagine being told by your father "You ask that? You who killed you mother to come into the world. You are an ill-made, devious, deceitful little creature, full of envy, malice, and lust. To teach me humility, the gods have condemned me to watch you waddle about......." and so on.

this he told him at 24, 27 years of age, so, big deal, his father, he already knew did not like him but he kept him wealthy and full of wine and food, gave him bodyguards. Tyrion opened his mouth, endangering Cat at the Inn when he called her out and admitted later that she was there incognito for her own protection most likely and he provoked her. Tyrion cannot keep his damn mouth shut and is pretty lucky in life for being a dwarf in his day and age because he is a Lannister.

8 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Actually, I don't get the impression that she's suffering from PTSD in the books. Like a lot of people who are in situations of deadly danger, she seems to be quite cool and rational. It's when the danger ends, that quite often such people have a complete breakdown.

Her sample chapter with the slip into the persona of Allayne and references, internally to Ned and LF. She is not all there.

14 minutes ago, Étoile du Soir said:

In my experience, fans are quick to grant Tyrion or Cersei a pardon, even in prospect of all that they've done over the years, but with Jaime things are very different indeed. Almost akin to, it makes no matter, he's too male and pretty for that.

(I mean, not that Tywin exercised his tyrranical authority over all three of his children, no, it was all sunshine and puppies for the elder son, little did we know, none but Tyrion and Cersei got the wrong end of the bargain...)  

Cersie I find slightly more sympathetic but not by much.

In the books, I think there are more twists. I am convinced that in the books, Jaime and Cersei are the Mad King's bastards off of Joanna while Tyrion is Tywin's only son. Tywin never understood his children. Joanna knew Cersei and Jaime had a thing for each other early in the books and seperated them right before going into labor with Tyrion, which cost her her life.

14 minutes ago, SeanF said:

He is a complex character. He has some reason to feel unloved and even unappreciated by his father (who only gives him tasks after Jaime is not longer there), and no gold can pay for the lack of paternal love.  And he does some nice things like his burgeoning friendship with Jon whom he helps coping with the realities of the Night Watch (I wish Martin would go somewhere with that, but Tyrion has changed too much in Dance). But he is also a self-pitying, spiteful little whoremonger, and those traits increase after he killed Tywin. He thought he could exorcise his demons by that, but realised they followed him around even more fiercely. I wonder if he will learn to get truly out of his father's shadow in the last books and accept himself, or if he will succomb to the darker side of his character, set on revenge for real and imagined wrongs.

But his wit makes his chapters fun to read, and I think that is one of the reasons he's a favourite for many. 

33 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

I think Sansa is 14 in Winds, or a month or so shy (at the start). But she's not considered a little girl in Westeros.

But she's definitely using coping mechanisms to get past the trauma she's experienced.

3 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

I think Sansa is 14 in Winds, or a month or so shy. But she's not considered a little girl in Westeros.

But she's definitely using coping mechanisms to get past the trauma she's experienced.

Correct, she is almost 14 and is certainly having to find "a happy place" from time to time (Sandor):)

13 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Correct, she is almost 14 and is certainly having to find "a happy place" from time to time (Sandor):)

And that started before the forced marriage to Tyrion. She lay away at night thinking of Sandor's dagger dick after Blackwater. :leer:

The big man got there first, because she let him get there first. First cloak, first kiss, first ooh la la...

As the boy's lips touched her own she found herself thinking of another kiss. She could still remember how it felt, when his cruel mouth pressed down on her own. He had come to Sansa in the darkness as green fire filled the sky. He took a song and a kiss, and left me nothing but a bloody cloak.

Archived