Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

I'm investigating for another post, and I think the reason for the Daario change has to do a lot with Dany's sexuality.

Dany loves Daario because Daario is sex on legs. He's the guy your mother warned you against. And it's fine. In Dany's case, she answers to no one: she can have orgies and this doesn't disrupt her work as a Queen. She still married Hizzy.

Daario is still a douche, though. And Daario #1 had that vibe. Like "I want to bang you because you're bangable".

WHICH IS ALSO FINE. SOMETIMES PEOPLE HAVE SEX BECAUSE THEY'RE HOT. This is not "objectify" them: there are many guys I would totally, despite I hate them and I would require them, even CONTRACTUALLY AND WITH INTERNATIONAL WITNESSES FROM THE UN AND NATO*, to never open their mouths to speak during the sex.

Dany couldn't have that. No. She couldn't have sex with a guy "like that". She needed Daario to be a romantic worried fellow. Dany can't have sexual cravings for some idiot. ARgh.

*I don't even live close to the Atlantic, but whatever...

13 minutes ago, JonCon's Red Beard said:

Dany loves Daario because Daario is sex on legs. He's the guy your mother warned you against. And it's fine. In Dany's case, she answers to no one: she can have orgies and this doesn't disrupt her work as a Queen. She still married Hizzy.

It's true, Dany doesn't have to justify loving Daario, nor does any woman have to justify loving a man. That's the nice guy and entitled to her bullshit.

But I think Hizzy is the one who disrupted Dany. Daario was about her being true to herself. Which is what her last chapter was about.

Her home was back in Meereen, with her husband and her lover...

And Daario … Dany pictured him riding toward her through the tall grass, smiling, his golden tooth gleaming with the last light of the setting sun...

She wondered if her captain’s blades still hung upon the wall beside her bed, waiting for Daario to return and claim them. “I will leave my girls with you,” he had said. “Keep them safe for me, beloved.” And she wondered how much the Yunkai’i knew about what her captain meant to her...

She found herself thinking of Meereen, of Daario, her love, and Hizdahr, her husband, of Irri and Jhiqui and sweet Missandei, Ser Barristan and Reznak and Skahaz Shavepate...

“Walk,” Dany commanded herself. “Follow the stream and it will take you to the Skahazadhan. That’s where Daario will find you.”...

But none of those things had happened. Bells, Dany thought again. Her bloodriders had found her. “Aggo,” she whispered. “Jhogo. Rakharo.” Might Daario have come with them?...

In Meereen I was a queen in silk, nibbling on stuffed dates and honeyed lamb, she remembered. What would my noble husband think if he could see me now? Hizdahr would be horrified, no doubt. But Daario …

Daario would laugh, carve off a hunk of horsemeat with his arakh, and squat down to eat beside her.

Daario is in her thoughts throughout the chapter. You can see the progression, she's going in the wrong direction, and when she turns around, Drogon comes to her. And she pictures Daario beside her.

4 minutes ago, JonCon's Red Beard said:

I'm investigating for another post, and I think the reason for the Daario change has to do a lot with Dany's sexuality.

Daario is still a douche, though. And Daario #1 had that vibe. Like "I want to bang you because you're bangable".

WHICH IS ALSO FINE. SOMETIMES PEOPLE HAVE SEX BECAUSE THEY'RE HOT. This is not "objectify" them: there are many guys I would totally, despite I hate them and I would require them, even CONTRACTUALLY AND WITH INTERNATIONAL WITNESSES FROM THE UN AND NATO*, to never open their mouths to speak during the sex.

Dany couldn't have that. No. She couldn't have sex with a guy "like that". She needed Daario to be a romantic worried fellow. Dany can't have sexual cravings for some idiot. ARgh.

*I don't even live close to the Atlantic, but whatever...

It has to do with her perception as a competant leader.

Daario 2.0 has enough charisma that people perceive him to be likely worth the risk of taking him into bed.  Daario 1.0 came across as the douche that WOULD INEVITABLY betray Dany, so her casually sleeping with him makes her look foolish.  Is there probably an additional emphasis here that we have to make sure Dany looks like a 'strong' leader because she's a she, probably but...

Robb gets the same microscope on his romantic choices, and being perceived as stupid, foolish and a poor leader for dong so.  To some degree it comes from the paradigm that both the books and show has produced that if you are betrayed, its somehow your fault it happened.

2 minutes ago, A_Cornered_Wolf said:

It has to do with her perception as a competant leader.

Daario 2.0 has enough charisma that people perceive him to be likely worth the risk of taking him into bed.  Daario 1.0 came across as the douche that WOULD INEVITABLY betray Dany, so her casually sleeping with him makes her look foolish.  Is there probably an additional emphasis here that we have to make sure Dany looks like a 'strong' leader because she's a she, probably but...

Robb gets the same microscope on his romantic choices, and being perceived as stupid, foolish and a poor leader for dong so.  To some degree it comes from the paradigm that both the books and show has produced that if you are betrayed, its somehow your fault it happened.

That I get, but in Dany's case, it's not like they're presenting her as a great leader. They had to kill Barristan so Tyrion could get in and save "her mess".

They also made Shae sympathetic, btw. And despite they later made her betray Tyrion out of spite (while in the books she was forced into), his skills as a leader were never questioned, to the POINT HE'S GOING TO RULE MEEREEN FGS I WANT TO DIE AND KILL YES I WANNA DIE AND HAUNT HBO UNTIL I SCARE THEM TO DEATHAOSDIASJD

3 minutes ago, JonCon's Red Beard said:

That I get, but in Dany's case, it's not like they're presenting her as a great leader. They had to kill Barristan so Tyrion could get in and save "her mess".

They also made Shae sympathetic, btw. And despite they later made her betray Tyrion out of spite (while in the books she was forced into), his skills as a leader were never questioned, to the POINT HE'S GOING TO RULE MEEREEN FGS I WANT TO DIE AND KILL YES I WANNA DIE AND HAUNT HBO UNTIL I SCARE THEM TO DEATHAOSDIASJD

True, but in a way it still fits the paradigm.  Because her betrayal was so out of nowhere, with little to support it (other than her being spiteful) it only re-enforces that there is no way Tyrion can see it coming.  In fact, there almost seems to be some weird false male feminist whine going on here with Shae's betrayal.  Tyrion believed she was 'adult' enough, that she could handle the break up, but in the end she disappointed him by reverting to the stereotype of the spiteful little girl.  Their cutting the Shae-Bron scene might even support this take on things.

As for Dany being presented as a great leader, I think with season 3 onwards that is their intent even if logical, thinking people will likely think otherwise.  Opinions may vary.

8 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Daario is in her thoughts throughout the chapter. You can see the progression, she's going in the wrong direction, and when she turns around, Drogon comes to her. And she pictures Daario beside her.

There sis a recent study saying that women in situation of danger seek for stronger masculine guys... GRRM KNOWS HIS SCIENCE U_U

(I can't find the link nor I'll post for I will be against banned... :( )

28 minutes ago, JonCon's Red Beard said:

I don't know if tvDaario will get to the point to rule Meereen, but I feel like he will be the betrayal for love in MMD prophecies to Dany. We have Danys POV that tells how much she likes him and sexes on him but we don't have Daario's POV. Tv and book Daario have already betrayed his other brothers/commanders before when he sees the opportunity to use Dany as a ladder to get what he wants. People warn Dany against him but she takes it as they are being jealous, which one (Jorah) probably is but Barristan isn't. Barristan even makes the mention of how Dany is still a young girl and young girls always chose "the hot dude" over practical means (paraphrasing slightly)

I don't know that real Daario (book) is the Harpy, but Dany just abandoned Meereen and Daario as a hostage to the Yunkai. He may take that as a slight and double cross Dany by using her trust in him against her... Which will trigger her Targ madness and finally accepting of her blood and fire heritage of which she is realizing in her last chapter. 

Tv Daario may be the Harpy because of the mish-mash they have done with the the characters and the plotting. Daario knows where the SoH are hiding, doesn't want anyone else to question them- HE has already done so- and Daario knows where the extra, disposable SoH are hiding during the Drogon pit scene just waiting to be killed. Tv Daario wants Hizzy dead so he distracts Dany and Hizzy by keeping them focused on the pits while SoH just practically walk up and starts to kill Hizzy. He has to keep up appearances long enough to get Dany where he needs her so he can't let Dany die just yet. I think Drogon flying in really screwed up his plans and that is why he agreed to go find her. I think Jorah will end up killing him this season which will help Jorah atone for his portion of the MMD betrayal prophecy. 

And now I am ducking to avoid the rotten eggs about to unleashed on me. :D

40 minutes ago, JonCon's Red Beard said:

There sis a recent study saying that women in situation of danger seek for stronger masculine guys... GRRM KNOWS HIS SCIENCE U_U

His pal Diana Gabaldon, too. Then add in that Westeros and wild and wonderful in the old days Scotland can be scary places...

1 hour ago, JonCon's Red Beard said:

I think it's gonna go south, Tyrion ruling Meereen, that is. From what I saw of the filming stuff. There was a shot of Dany and Daario riding with the khalasar and then another scene filmed with Tyrion, Missy, Grey Worm, Dany, and Daario.* (No Jorah in either of those, I wonder if he bites it.)

*the actors were spotted, just speculation

3 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

I think it's gonna go south, Tyrion ruling Meereen, that is. From what I saw of the filming. There was a shot of Dany and Daario riding with the khalassar and then another scene filmed with Tyrion, Missy, Grey Worm, Dany, and Daario. (No Jorah in either of those, I wonder if he bites it.)

If Jorah bites it, especially before Dany is "saved", then I fear it will by the hands of Daario. Jorah may have learned or figured out too much. Jorah having greyscale would be a good cover, like a "mercy" killing or excuse that the greyscale went too far.  

22 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

If Jorah bites it, especially before Dany is "saved", then I fear it will by the hands of Daario. Jorah may have learned or figured out too much. Jorah having greyscale would be a good cover, like a "mercy" killing or excuse that the greyscale went too far.  

Or maybe Jorah will be "saved" by Daario's love, and they'll toss aside her ring, and ride off into the sunset together.

I get it that Daario is her love interest and all but even before the rumors and from the books, the guy just has a distrusfworthy vibe. The way he betrayed his co captains and  just sellswords by nature. The Golden company, who are not in the show being the only exception due to the Blackfyre/Aegon thing. The overlying theme that they can never be trusted as their loyalty is to gold and their own continued existance, no honor etc. I just think Dany is being taken advantage of in the books and as far as the show goes, they turn everything they want to on a dime so we really do not know how they will proceed with this Daario.

13 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Or maybe Jorah will be "saved" by Daario's love, and they'll toss aside her ring, and ride off into the sunset together.

Anything is better than the one true ring actually working in the show. That is the laziest concept they could have adapted ever! 

That may be my final straw for the show. I don't like that the show runners feel viewers are too stoopid to follow along with anything else. 

11 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Anything is better than the one true ring actually working in the show. That is the laziest concept they could have adapted ever! 

That may be my final straw for the show. I don't like that the show runners feel viewers are too stoopid to follow along with anything else. 

they will go to where the horse circles are the smallest and there it will be. Trust me.

30 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

I love this ship :wub:. I am starting to root for them. 

Archived