NFL Post-Superbowl L : Wheeling Off Into the Sunset

Jace, Extat

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Ok, I understand some of this, but has Gronk broken any laws? I have never heard of him and DUI's, assault, PED's, child abuse, hookers, drugs, anything, nothing reported on him yet.

Cam Newton, Tony Romo, any and all professional athletes should be allowed to do exactly what Gronk is doing right now. He is having fun and not hurting anyone.

I can go out and do what he is doing and still have my job and so can you. If we ever stop putting stupid expectations on these people and stop reporting on everything they do we will all be better off. Do I give two shits what color pants Cam is wearing, hell no. Do I care if he is playing this week, hell yes. Do I care if Romo and Witen are vacationing in Cabo, nope, do I care that they play well, yep.

It's this kind of reporting and "journalism" that has spawned the Kardashians and fill in the blank "housewives" garbage.

If someone is breaking the law then yes, it should be known, otherwise let people live the life they choose to live.

5 minutes ago, sperry said:

Think the main deal with Gronk is that he's a Tight End, not a QB. A QB wouldn't get away this, a tight end or receiver will (although if he ever has a bad year, you can bet people will blame it on partying).

He's a white TE.  I have come around over the years to understand that the first part really does matter as much as the QB part.

DB, he hasn't broken any laws; and I don't begrudge him the partying.  I do however lament that it is somehow newsworthy and ESPN even sent one of the faces of their ESPNW brand to go report on it.  I would also readily challenge your assumption that any one of us could do the same and get away with it in our jobs.  I own my own office, and there was a time not all that long ago that I wouldn't even order a beer in my hometown over concern that a potential patient/customer would see it and form a negative opinion.  Its not as much of a concern now, but I still don't get drunk here in town.  (I go to Louisville, home of officially sanctioned hookers and debauchery for that sort of thing. :lol: Or sometimes Nashville...)

However, those ordinary people concerns wasn't the point of my earlier rant, it was the portion of how we view Gronk versus how we would view Vernon Davis (for example at the same position.)

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Ok, I understand some of this, but has Gronk broken any laws? I have never heard of him and DUI's, assault, PED's, child abuse, hookers, drugs, anything, nothing reported on him yet.

Cam Newton, Tony Romo, any and all professional athletes should be allowed to do exactly what Gronk is doing right now. He is having fun and not hurting anyone.

I can go out and do what he is doing and still have my job and so can you. If we ever stop putting stupid expectations on these people and stop reporting on everything they do we will all be better off. Do I give two shits what color pants Cam is wearing, hell no. Do I care if he is playing this week, hell yes. Do I care if Romo and Witen are vacationing in Cabo, nope, do I care that they play well, yep.

It's this kind of reporting and "journalism" that has spawned the Kardashians and fill in the blank "housewives" garbage.

If someone is breaking the law then yes, it should be known, otherwise let people live the life they choose to live.

Huh?  Is anyone suggesting otherwise?  

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

He's a white TE.  I have come around over the years to understand that the first part really does matter as much as the QB part.

DB, he hasn't broken any laws; and I don't begrudge him the partying.  I do however lament that it is somehow newsworthy and ESPN even sent one of the faces of their ESPNW brand to go report on it.  I would also readily challenge your assumption that any one of us could do the same and get away with it in our jobs.  I own my own office, and there was a time not all that long ago that I wouldn't even order a beer in my hometown over concern that a potential patient/customer would see it and form a negative opinion.  Its not as much of a concern now, but I still don't get drunk here in town.  (I go to Louisville, home of officially sanctioned hookers and debauchery for that sort of thing. :lol: Or sometimes Nashville...)

However, those ordinary people concerns wasn't the point of my earlier rant, it was the portion of how we view Gronk versus how we would view Vernon Davis (for example at the same position.)

Disagree.  Johnny Manziel has been absolutely eviscerated for spending time in vegas and partying.

And they will turn on Gronk if his play slips. He was torn apart for partying in the aftermath of that Pats super bowl loss a few years ago.  It's laughed off now because he's the best Tight end in football and his team is really good.

And of course there are people who just don't like Cam because he's black, but I don't think that's where the national media narrative is coming from. It's his position.

Just now, sperry said:

Disagree.  Johnny Manziel has been absolutely eviscerated for spending time in vegas and partying.

And they will turn on Gronk if his play slips. He was torn apart for partying in the aftermath of that Pats super bowl loss a few years ago.  It's laughed off now because he's the best Tight end in football and his team is really good.

Has he though?  Maybe by some talking heads, but I'm more thinking about the average person and public perception.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

1 minute ago, sperry said:

Torn apart by whom? I don't remember much of a kerfuffle about partying after the Super Bowl. Maybe some desperate reporters tried to concern-troll some clicks off it, but I honestly don't think most Pats fans cared.

4 minutes ago, Rhom said:
2 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Torn apart by whom? I don't remember much of a kerfuffle about partying after the Super Bowl. Maybe some desperate reporters tried to concern-troll some clicks off it, but I honestly don't think most Pats fans cared.

Has he though?  Maybe by some talking heads, but I'm more thinking about the average person and public perception.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

I don't htink most Panthers fans care about Cam, either, the criticism isn't coming from the team's fans.  This was a national media deal and I remember a ton of coverage on it. In fact, it's basically the only thing I remember about that Super Bowl.

So apparently Dante Fowler might be in trouble because a video has surfaced of him watching his girlfriend and baby-mama get into a fight...

I don't see the issue. Two women got into a fight, he stood there and watched (from what I have gathered). I haven't been able to find the video or a more detailed account. Sure, he should have intervened, but is the guy seriously facing reprimand for not swooping in like a superhero? Meanwhile Greg Hardy made 11 million dollars last year? Are you fucking kidding me?

8 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

So apparently Dante Fowler might be in trouble because a video has surfaced of him watching his girlfriend and baby-mama get into a fight...

I don't see the issue. Two women got into a fight, he stood there and watched (from what I have gathered). I haven't been able to find the video or a more detailed account. Sure, he should have intervened, but is the guy seriously facing reprimand for not swooping in like a superhero? Meanwhile Greg Hardy made 11 million dollars last year? Are you fucking kidding me?

Ridiculous. And I don't blame him one bit for not stepping in, mostly because he is still working to get back from shredding his knee. What happens if he gets in between them, gets pushed and slips somehow and tears his knee up again? This is all my opinion without seeing the video though, that could change it.

8 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I read about it on Deadspin, which has some of the footage, and it looks kinda like he argues with the baby mama and then steps back to let them fight. Which is a little different. I don't know that it's criminal, and he did eventually break it up, but it's bad optics for the NFL, which obviously has had some issues with on-camera violence against women. I doubt he'll get treated like Greg Hardy but I am sure there will be some kind of discipline from the league and/or team, because this is not the image the NFL wants out there. They'd rather have the world think about a wholesome Budweiser logo painted on Peyton Manning's swollen forehead.

The problem is that had he stepped in and say pulled "baby momma" off and she fell and got injured, I guarantee she would have filed charges and he would have been arrested for domestic violence. He was in a lose lose situation there.

8 hours ago, dbunting said:

It sure seemed as though people were saying what he was doing is somehow wrong.

Outside of acting like a dudebro you mean?

because it's perfectly reasonable to point out that a dudebro is acting like a dudebro.

Doesnt't mean he isn't entitled to act that way if he chooses.

10 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I read about it on Deadspin, which has some of the footage, and it looks kinda like he argues with the baby mama and then steps back to let them fight. Which is a little different. I don't know that it's criminal, and he did eventually break it up, but it's bad optics for the NFL, which obviously has had some issues with on-camera violence against women. I doubt he'll get treated like Greg Hardy but I am sure there will be some kind of discipline from the league and/or team, because this is not the image the NFL wants out there. They'd rather have the world think about a wholesome Budweiser logo painted on Peyton Manning's swollen forehead.

Last time I checked, the NFL doesn't give you two minutes for instigating.

I've since watched the video, saw nothing incriminating or punishable. The kid was literally in a lose-lose (make no mistake, he put himself there but that's not a crime). And dbhunting has the right of it. If he steps in (on a knee that he's still presumably rehabbing) and someone gets a mark on her body, he's in trouble. As a woman, I'd ask if this would be a problem were two of his buddies fighting and he stood there watching? In my experience, if two of my friends (male or female) decide to fight and one of them isn't an MMA badass, I'm gonna let them punch themselves out. Then break it up when they're gassed out.

Fighting is cathartic, and I think it's wrong to judge someone's inaction from the other side of a camera when there wasn't a life-threatening event occurring.

ETA: Forgot the whole reason I came here.

So Elway just said 'we're gonna let him take his time' regarding Peyton's looming retirement. I'm hoping this is a smokescreen for them not bringing back the Brockstar. GET ANYONE, ELWAY!!! ANYONE ELSE!!!

The real win in this situation would be if the Browns threw all of their monies at Osweiler, in which case obviously they don't need to draft that kid at #2, so they draft someone else. Then that kid falls to the Chargers, who take him to groom under Rivers. Then in 2 years the Browns are firing Hue Jackson and SASHI Brown and dumping Osweiler's shitty contract onto the next hapless fools while the kid in San Diego takes over for Rivers and leads the team to the playoffs.

Ahhh, it's enough to get a girl going, that thought is. :)

Oh and if they were to take Joey Bosa and he flames out against all expectations... well, I can't be responsible for the mirth-induced shenanigans that would ensue in the Jace household.

14 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Last time I checked, the NFL doesn't give you two minutes for instigating.

I've since watched the video, saw nothing incriminating or punishable. The kid was literally in a lose-lose (make no mistake, he put himself there but that's not a crime). And dbhunting has the right of it. If he steps in (on a knee that he's still presumably rehabbing) and someone gets a mark on her body, he's in trouble. As a woman, I'd ask if this would be a problem were two of his buddies fighting and he stood there watching? In my experience, if two of my friends (male or female) decide to fight and one of them isn't an MMA badass, I'm gonna let them punch themselves out. Then break it up when they're gassed out.

Fighting is cathartic, and I think it's wrong to judge someone's inaction from the other side of a camera when there wasn't a life-threatening event occurring.

I don't disagree with anything you said here, but you are thinking like a person with a fully functional frontal lobe instead of like Roger Goodell's NFL, the league that brought us the Ray Rice "investigation" and double-secret salary cap probation in an uncapped year, not to mention that thing with the air pressure in balls that I've almost forgotten about. So Fowler having been in a tough situation or a no-win situation doesn't help him if the league thinks it needs to give him a slap to make sure everyone knows they take things Very Seriously. Since no other owners probably have an axe to grind against him, though, he may well just get a finger-wag from his coaches and GM.

8 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I don't disagree with anything you said here, but you are thinking like a person with a fully functional frontal lobe instead of like Roger Goodell's NFL, the league that brought us the Ray Rice "investigation" and double-secret salary cap probation in an uncapped year, not to mention that thing with the air pressure in balls that I've almost forgotten about. So Fowler having been in a tough situation or a no-win situation doesn't help him if the league thinks it needs to give him a slap to make sure everyone knows they take things Very Seriously. Since no other owners probably have an axe to grind against him, though, he may well just get a finger-wag from his coaches and GM.

Poor kid. Fuck the Jags, though.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

They can fucking have him.

So apparently ND linebacker Jaylon Smith is expected to take a year or more to recover from the knee injury he suffered in that bowl game no one cared about.

I'm now hoping the Colts trade back then scoop him up late in the 1st round. An ACTUAL linebacker!?! I can wait a year for that, and it's not like this team has had day one contributions from 1st rounders in like 12 years anyways.

Archived