NFL Post-Superbowl L : Wheeling Off Into the Sunset

Jace, Extat

Speaking of terrible decisions, it really sounds like Peyton Manning is leaning towards coming back. I can't see any possibility but this being an awful coda to his career. Like Michael Jordan on the Wizards...if Jordan averaged 8 PPG on 38% shooting. 

He has the rarest thing imaginable - the chance to ride into the sunset a champion. And he could not have been gifted that ring anymore than what his team did for him last year. 

I get it, he just loves football. But, dude, for all of us who enjoyed watching you play - just take this unbelievably serendipitous opportunity that has presented itself to walk away. There was like 20 ways it appeared his career could end and 19 of them were gonna be depressing like this final season of Kobe has been depressing or brittle old Brett Favre getting knocked around in 2010. He basically won the lottery so why's he still intent on buying more scratch off tickets? 

2 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Speaking of terrible decisions, it really sounds like Peyton Manning is leaning towards coming back. I can't see any possibility but this being an awful coda to his career. Like Michael Jordan on the Wizards...if Jordan averaged 8 PPG on 38% shooting. 

He has the rarest thing imaginable - the chance to ride into the sunset a champion. And he could not have been gifted that ring anymore than what his team did for him last year. 

I get it, he just loves football. But, dude, for all of us who enjoyed watching you play - just take this unbelievably serendipitous opportunity that has presented itself to walk away. There was like 20 ways it appeared his career could end and 19 of them were gonna be depressing like this final season of Kobe has been depressing or brittle old Brett Favre getting knocked around in 2010. He basically won the lottery so why's he still intent on buying more scratch off tickets? 

Some people can't believe that they can't do it anymore. I mean, I am not a big fan of the guy but damn, what could he really do next season? He was barely effective for a few games. All this will do is push Osweiler out, and maybe that's what Denver wants, an excuse to let him leave. They may not think much of him and don't want to get tied down with a big contract with the guy.

Just now, sperry said:

Why would anyone sign Manning? At this point he's likely the worst quarterback in the league.

Who knows, he could markedly improve his performance once his wife gets back on the HGH regimen.

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

Who knows, he could markedly improve his performance once his wife gets back on the HGH regimen.

Why do we think he ever got off it?  There's only so much life you can breathe into a corpse.

I'm not even sure this decision is centered on a love of the game or the belief that he can still play. Given his "I'm going to drink a lot of Budweiser" comments after the Superbowl, greeting Papa John first thing postgame, etc, I think it's safe to say that this guy is way too concerned with the payday.

9 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Some people can't believe that they can't do it anymore. I mean, I am not a big fan of the guy but damn, what could he really do next season? He was barely effective for a few games. All this will do is push Osweiler out, and maybe that's what Denver wants, an excuse to let him leave. They may not think much of him and don't want to get tied down with a big contract with the guy.

For him though it should be blatantly obvious he's a shell of his former self. A guy this competitive has to know he's dogshit, right? Or is he just delusional.

Either way, I can't see the Broncos welcoming back. Right now I think they just have to pretend like they're not forcing a legend out the door while they wait for his obvious retirement. Manning seems intent on making things awkward. 

11 minutes ago, sperry said:

Why would anyone sign Manning? At this point he's likely the worst quarterback in the league.

Can never count out the Rams. Their determination to win games in spite of the QB is admirable. Sorry I meant, insane.

I just have trouble believing that Manning is really coming back.  There simply is no team that could possibly drag him to a championship other than Denver, and Denver doesn't seem to want him.  Looking around at the teams that have good talent but lack a qb - Jets, Rams, Texans, I doubt they would even make the playoffs with him under center unless he is significantly better than he was in 2015. 

I think this is just rumors.

17 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I just have trouble believing that Manning is really coming back.  There simply is no team that could possibly drag him to a championship other than Denver, and Denver doesn't seem to want him.  Looking around at the teams that have good talent but lack a qb - Jets, Rams, Texans, I doubt they would even make the playoffs with him under center unless he is significantly better than he was in 2015. 

I think this is just rumors.

Hope not. Just kinda annoyed he hasn't retired already. 

His only shot is if the Rams drag him in as a sideshow act to attract fans in LA, while knowing that this will cause them to lose games and get a good draft pick (that they can draft a non-dessicated teabagging walking commercial of a QB with), a la the Kobe farewell tour.

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

Could be he believes the Broncos will take him back, and then he can pull of the Elway. Someone must be in his ear telling him if he plays one more year he's got a shot at another ring. If Denver came out and said Manning was no longer an option to start, I bet he'd retire just a couple seconds later. 

5 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I think the Broncos, Texans and Jets would all happily offer 3 1sts for Luck.  I also think the Colts would be crazy to make that trade.  Those teams all have enough talent that with Luck they would be in the playoffs the next two years, so you'd be giving up Luck for 3 picks in the 20s. 

Obviously it's the implication that he be sent to the Browns or Bills or... wow, the Raiders and Jags and Titans actually have light at the end of the tunnel.

But I digress, I wouldn't want him sent anywhere he'd actually be successful. If he leaves via trade, I want him going somewhere that careers go to die. Like an Applebees.

4 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Eh, not so great a plan, methinks. You're going to trust Grigson to both engineer this deal, and then turn those picks into gold? Bird in the hand, and all that. 

Fire him. Execute him publicly for making such a trade. Even allows the team to save face while accusing the Browns or Bills of declaring No Taksies-Backsies on what was clearly a moment of madness.

4 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

If one were to judge by past performance, they could simply rely on tanking in time for the next can't-miss QB prospect to come up.

If one were to judge by past performance, the Patriots should be afraid that they're gonna win their next Colts matchup by less than 40 points.

That's right, I said it BITCH!!! :P

On a serious note, I think this'll be the first year the Colts and Pats don't play each other since the division reformat. The year Brady tore his ACL happened to coincide with the Titans somehow going 13-3 leaving both the Pats and Colts as 2nd place in their divisions. Then when the city of Indianapolis suffered what would later be diagnosed as Lead Painter Syndrome the AFC South and East were scheduled to matchup the next year anyways. 

This year was again the AFC South and East matchup, so next year the Colts and Pats won't play each other. Honestly, I'm cool with it. The Patriots are like the school bully with ridiculously perfect attendance, every other team is allowed to fake a stomach ache once in a while to get out of a beating.

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

Nice thought but who on earth would give up three 1st round picks for a QB with the huge price tag? I mean, under the current system the one relief you have is lower priced rookies to improve your team. So you would add 25 mill a year to one person and lose three years worth of cheap new talent? Sounds like something only the Browns would do.

The Browns are literally the target victim audience of such a scheme deal.

Sooooo deflategate is back in the news, and from what I've read it seems there's a pretty good chance the nfl may win the appeal and Brady's suspension will be back in play. Can't wait until this hot mess is appealed to the supreme court...

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

Sooooo deflategate is back in the news, and from what I've read it seems there's a pretty good chance the nfl may win the appeal and Brady's suspension will be back in play. Can't wait until this hot mess is appealed to the supreme court...

It's just so f***ing stupid at this point.  From a due process standpoint, the NFL messed up royally.  From a basic science standpoint, they f***ed up royally.  Then they go and decide not to publish air pressure from their measurements in games this year in a blatant "we done messed up but won't admit it" move.  

That shield that Goodell goes on and on about is tarnished because of him at this point.  The man is fighting for his right to ignore evidence, ignore the rules he has in place, and do whatever he wants. 

6 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Jesus. Even if he (inexplicably) still thinks he did nothing wrong on his hit, what a turd to blame his teammate.

Archived