Who is your single absolute favourite character - & ---WHY---???

Thuckey

6 hours ago, Beautiful Bloody Sword said:

Rhaegar. The most well rounded character while simultaneously the most polarizing. The man that men want to be and women want to be with. Can think with the thinkers, read with the readers,fight with the fighters, prophesize with the prophosizers, play with the musicians, sing with the singers, and certainly could have set new all time Westerosi world records in 'making the eight', if he had so chose. But most of all, see with the seers, with eyes to see the bigger picture, and it's impending doom. I feel for the misunderstood character that understood more than he wanted to. But by the end, his haters will be hushed, and hopefully he'll be vindicated.

Rhaegar is the most narcissistic character in Asoiaf

i like eddison tollett a lot granted he is not a major player like the other characters but  his dark humor, i get a feeling this guy will survive till the end. he is like a professional just dong his job giving no fucks to the world and knows how shit the world is. he reminds me a lot of geralt of rivia with his pessimistic sense of humor.

Euron Greyjoy.

Cunning, shrewd, ruthless, the Crow's Eye is by far the most charismatic and interesting character introduced so far. Although he's had little page time, he made, for me, one of the biggest impacts, and I find myself going back to read the chapters he is in. He has a mysterious past and an ambitious future, and I can't wait to see what he does in the upcoming books.

However, my favourite character changes constantly. Tomorrow it might be Hot Pie.

Bran Stark simply because there are way many events and incidents I can draw parallel from his storyline to my life. and when I first started reading asoiaf, I was somewhat repulsed by the grimness and bleakness of the novel. Against this backdrop of selfishness and insatiable thirst for power, Bran(and a stark family to a larger extent) was no less than an oasis. He was the youngest POV and his ways of thinking were simple and sweet. But later on, he proved to be much tougher when things took a turn to the worse for him and his family. Notwithstanding his physical disabilities, he didn't give up and always remained optimistic. I was highly endeared by him when he thought of repaying in multiples to the Liddle mountain man who helped him in the cave. He was guilty of warging hodor, but he told himself 'I will give it back, the way I always do.'. His huge empathy, sympathy and perseverance has almost no equals among POV characters so far. If here were to become King of the North at the end of the series, I have no doubt he would definitely go down in history as one of the greatest Stark Kings ever.

Just an add-on, my rank of top 10 favourite characters are:

1. Bran Stark

2. Jon Snow

3. Davos

4. Arianne

5. Arya

6. Sansa

7. Jaime

8. Ceresi

9. Tyrion

10. Stannis

Arya Stark. She is the most ferocious Stark. She's also not someone that is willing to accept the injustices of the world as they are and do nothing about them. Her ruthlessness to her enemies and benevolence to her friends embody what an ideal King of Winter should be like. She reminds me of Theon Stark who sailed to Andalos to get revenge against the Andals and the Stark King who defended the Manderlies when they came to the North. She might not be a male but she is a warrior all the same just as Catelyn saw when she prayed at the Sept. The best aspect of Arya's personality is that she treats people according to their behavior not their status. It does not matter whether that person is a peasant, lord, merchant, lady, knight, prince, queen or king. Only the way they behave matters to Arya. That's why she's the best judge of character among her siblings and the one who would be most adept at playing the Game of Thrones as well. Arya can see people for who they are no matter how they may appear on the surface. All of these reasons and more are why I think Arya is the best Stark and also why she is my absolute favorite character.

Victarion Greyjoy, he's got a lot going for him including: he's ironborn, a badass warrior, honorable to an extent, loyal, dutiful, just, zealous, ambitious later on. He's cool, and a baller, and he might ride a dragon soon. Not to mention he's Lord Captain of the Iron Fleet and lives for battle. If ASOIAF was a Bethesda game you'd want him as your follower.

6 hours ago, TheSnowInWinterfell said:

No reasons why?

Well, he is a total badass, he won in a joust against Rhaegar, killed Maelys Blackfyre in single combat and thus ended the threat of the War of the Ninepenny Kings for Westeros, sneaked into Duskendale and all alone saved his king, killed Simon Toyne in single combat, was the 2nd placed in the tourney at Harrenhal, bitched Joffrey in the throne room surrounded by Lannister guards and the other Kingsguards, went to the White Sword Tower to write his story in the book while it was ordered to catch him, taunted a freakin firebreathing dragon to attack him.
On the other hand for me he is the closest to the true knight of Westeros, also I enjoyed his chapters that he didn't know what to do after Dany was gone. He served kings all his life and then everything changed, his once safe world collapsed and had to make his own decisions. I liked his struggles, was something what I always feel in my real life -sadly-.

7 minutes ago, OmnomnomPomelo said:

Well, he is a total badass, he won in a joust against Rhaegar, killed Maelys Blackfyre in single combat and thus ended the threat of the War of the Ninepenny Kings for Westeros, sneaked into Duskendale and all alone saved his king, killed Simon Toyne in single combat, was the 2nd placed in the tourney at Harrenhal, bitched Joffrey in the throne room surrounded by Lannister guards and the other Kingsguards, went to the White Sword Tower to write his story in the book while it was ordered to catch him, taunted a freakin firebreathing dragon to attack him.
On the other hand for me he is the closest to the true knight of Westeros, also I enjoyed his chapters that he didn't know what to do after Dany was gone. He served kings all his life and then everything changed, his once safe world collapsed and had to make his own decisions. I liked his struggles, was something what I always feel in my real life -sadly-.

Yeah Barry is awesome

Some of the reasons why I like Jon:
His love for his family.
His dutifulness.
His straightforwardness.
His modesty
His self-discipline
His altruism. He most of the times cares about other people’s well being even if it would harm him.
Always tries his best no matter what situation he is in.
He actually listens to other people.

But we also see him being spiky. At the beginning of aGoT we see that he is also boastful and a little disgruntled something that he doesn’t continue after he understands what was going on.

For me Jon is the closest example we have to a true knight, or maybe true male knight, even if he isn’t a knight. I believe that his most distinctive characteristic is that he cares about the others and he does everything he can to help them even if that means that he will have to face some consequences for that, which is what a true knight should do according the Kinght’s code:

a touch on the right shoulder with the blade. "In the name of the Warrior I charge you to be brave."
The sword moves from right shoulder to left. "In the name of the Father I charge you to be just."
Right shoulder. "In the name of the Mother I charge you to defend the young and innocent."
The left. "In the name of the Maid I charge you to protect all women....

Breakspear;

This man protected the weak, as every true knight must

Sansa;

Knights are sworn to defend the weak, protect women, and fight for the right

Even Ser Barristan the hypocritical moral coward said;

Old or young, a true knight is sworn to protect those who are weaker than himself, or die in the attempt.

Another reason why I like him is because I think that he employs Plato's characteristics about the ideal leader. 
Leadership principles:
Moderation
Unity
Reforming
Judgment
Dialectic

The virtues that a leader must have:
Wisdom-discipline to his instincts
Prudence-Moderation is the best
Bravery
Justice

35 minutes ago, Sage of Westeros said:

Victarion Greyjoy, he's got a lot going for him including: he's ironborn, a badass warrior, honorable to an extent, loyal, dutiful, just, zealous, ambitious later on. He's cool, and a baller, and he might ride a dragon soon. Not to mention he's Lord Captain of the Iron Fleet and lives for battle. If ASOIAF was a Bethesda game you'd want him as your follower.

You forgot the "dumb as a stump" part.

It depends for what... in general Arya is a wonderfull character, for the reasons stated above. She is sooo broken, and somehow keeps on fighting. Her chapters are always a good read too.

Quick question to te Sansa lovers out there, what kind of mental gymnastics do you do in order to "forgive" her telling Cercei about Neds plan to return to WF?

I can understand the sympathy that Sansa evokes once she is in the shitty position of being alone in the lion's den, but she kinda put herself into that position basically because she was throwing a tantrum like a spoiled brat...

Arya. She's a tomboy, a troublemaker, a younger less pretty sister, doesn't conform to gender roles, and has really low self-esteem. Exactly like me when I was a kid. 

Other than that she's bossy, resilient, clever, wild, down to earth, and extremely loyal. She makes friends easily and cares about the smallfolk. An unconventional and wolfy princess with a good heart. I can't help but love her. 

Arya is single favorite character as well. I agree with almost everything you said. I'll add to what you said by also giving one more reason. She's defying gender roles but doing it in a way where she doesn't actually want to be a man, like Brienne or Cersei. But I do have one question. I never got the impression had low self esteem. She definitely see the insecurities about her looks because she grew up with Sansa. But I didn't think it rose to he level of low self esteem. What makes you say she had really low self esteem?

Arya. For her inner strength, resilience and determination that are almost inhuman. It takes a good writer to do that right and IMO so far GRRM managed. Arya never stops looking, never turns away, never closes her eyes no matter how horrible the world around her is. She is a very passionate person both in hate but also in love.

I also like her position in the story, how much her mere absence can cause, how little anyone knows about her, how many big secrets she keeps. IMO Arya is a dark horse of the series, even for a lot of fans, who can't imagine her role past that she kills this guy or that guy and dies. 

29 minutes ago, Flying Cat said:

Quick question to te Sansa lovers out there, what kind of mental gymnastics do you do in order to "forgive" her telling Cercei about Neds plan to return to WF?

I can understand the sympathy that Sansa evokes once she is in the shitty position of being alone in the lion's den, but she kinda put herself into that position basically because she was throwing a tantrum like a spoiled brat...

That teenagers (especially pampered ones) tend to be spoiled brats in the first place, and that's normal and expected. That everyone of us who denies having been one is propably a liar. We are just lucky to live in a world that does not make us pay freaking disproportionally the stupid mistakes we did at that age (most of us, most of the times - some do pay, very dearly). That you don't need to "forgive" them for being that, when they grow out of this. And, that she didn't do it out of malicious intent - had she been able to foresee the results (on her father, not on herself, I mean), she would never have done it.

I wonder what mental gymnastics you have to do in order to rationalize the inability to get over it.

Brienne : her inherent "duality" (feminine and masculine, strong and vulnerable) and complexity are extremely compelling. She's one of those characters who  gain in depth with every reread. She's sweet and kind when she would have every reason to be bitter and cynical, resilient and brave. She nevers loses hope, and is driven by love and honor when the world gives her only hate and treachery.

Then come Jaime, Catelyn, Sansa, and Arya. Every character is amazing though, there isn't one I don't enjoy (Victarion though...) 

Arya but since it's been discussed, Tormund.

Always around to provide some comic relief, some of the few times I truly laugh while reading.  Seems to care deeply for his people and also seems to have lived a rather incredible life. Also, he is very intelligent and  knows a lot more than he lets on to Jon and others.  Interested to see his role at the wall and WF in the next book. 

Archived