What's it like where you live?

Sivin

I think most people underestimate how different a country feels when on vacations (or even a longer extended stay like a semester abroad) and when living there for years. It's obvious for a holiday situation but it also applies to longer periods because even working/studying abroad for a year or two is quite different from really settling there (also legally in many respects, of course).

As for the weather, better check this as well. I would describe Germany as usually mild and temperate but for people who find 15 degrees Celsius cold it's bloody cold for about half of the year... On the other hand, I think most people can cope with a temperate climate whereas one has to be born in or for the tropics.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

I only lived in the UK during the summer months and never minded the rain too much. However, the worst winter I've ever experienced was in Belgium. What Knute described above sounds like Belgium. Fuck cold and rainy. Give me a blizzard any day. It snowed once that winter. The rest of the precipitation was cold rain. It was terrible.

Definitely, the mixture of wind and a damp, humid day really feels bitter cold, even if the temperature itself is rather normal (say 5 degrees or so)

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

I only lived in the UK during the summer months and never minded the rain too much. However, the worst winter I've ever experienced was in Belgium. What Knute described above sounds like Belgium. Fuck cold and rainy. Give me a blizzard any day. It snowed once that winter. The rest of the precipitation was cold rain. It was terrible.

I think you are mistaken. UK doesn't have a summer :P 

(okay this is obviously an exaggeration. Our summers have been pretty hot lately, although in typical British fashion they are also erratic/unpredictable)

eta: and I love cold and rainy weather, especially in the countryside. Nothing better than taking out the dog, getting up to the eyes in mud, then coming home and having a nice cuppa

13 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think you are mistaken. UK doesn't have a summer :P 

(okay this is obviously an exaggeration. Our summers have been pretty hot lately, although in typical British fashion they are also erratic/unpredictable)

eta: and I love cold and rainy weather, especially in the countryside. Nothing better than taking out the dog, getting up to the eyes in mud, then coming home and having a nice cuppa

I have been accustomed to the tea now; although adding milk is a tiny bit weird.

14 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

And washing the dog every time you come back to the house? :P

Just now, Knute said:

I have been accustomed to the tea now; although adding milk is a tiny bit weird.

I still think it is very weird. :wacko:

Just now, Knute said:

Strong tea is what really takes the cake for me; Adding milk only dilutes it <_<

I drink fruit tea, those "real" teas most seem too bitter.

Adding milk to any just does not make sense from a logical standpoint for me. I mean, you drink tea or you drink milk. You make a decision to either drink one or the other. Why would you even think of putting milk into perfectly good tea? It makes it look like coffee.

2 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I drink fruit tea, those "real" teas most seem too bitter.

Adding milk to any just does not make sense from a logical standpoint for me. I mean, you drink tea or you drink milk. You make a decision to either drink one or the other. Why would you even think of putting milk into perfectly good tea? It makes it look like coffee.

Fruit tea is very nice too; and I love the bitterness of the more commonely drank teas.

Also, I read somewhere that the milk was originally put in the tea to prevent the china teacups from breaking due to the heat of the water. Why people still add it today I don't know. :blink:

2 hours ago, Knute said:

I only drink tea black :D 

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

And washing the dog every time you come back to the house? :P

I still think it is very weird. :wacko:

Washing the dog is half the fun Buck...

11 hours ago, Knute said:

I'm a Norwegian living in the UK and the UK weather where it rains on and off every day is pretty depressing. I much prefer the cold, dryness of snow than the damp rain.

We get damp snow, which turns to sludge after three days.

(Mind you, snow to sea-level is pretty much just a South Island thing).

No proper method of brewing tea involves tea bags!!! (Although I admittedly often use them for convenience as well.)

Tea bag tea is usually substandard quality (whatever remains on the floor after sorting out the real leaves) and it is also better for the leaves to have room to spread while steeping.

If the tea is really good (or green) I do not use milk. If it's a little on the strong side (depending on sort and other factors) I take a little milk. Usually no sugar but honey if I have a cold.

59 minutes ago, Leap said:

Let's be honest, there's a right way to make tea folks. Quite disappointed by certain members of this thread. 

(Kettle and mug method)

Step 1: Place tea bag in mug, add boiling water to just below brim.

Step 2: Let it steep for 3-5 minutes

Step 3: Remove tea bag (throw it in the bin, don't leave it on the sink), add a splash of milk, no more, no less. 1-2 sugars optional.  

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why living in England is pretty damn good. :P :commie:

You disappoint me with this milk and sugar nonsense. What are you a builder? :P 

Who lets the teabag steep? You need to vigorously stir it and mash it about inside the mug, then squeeze it against the side to really get those tannins out. If you can't stand the spoon up in the mug afterwards you've done something wrong.

Archived