What would you ask the GRRM??? UPDATED

The Fattest Leech

16 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

So what? My brother is also very dear to me but that doesn't mean I'll marry him. If Arya ended up becoming romantically involved with Jon she would just become his sidekick in any scenario, wouldn't she?

He made it clear that he was making shit up in outlines and that the characters grew. The possibility of a real romance between an ten/eleven-year-old and fifteen-year-old isn't exactly great story potential.

Yet he's upset that it leaked. Why is he upset about a 20-year old leaked outline where he was "making shit up"? It does have spoilers that affects the current story, otherwise he wouldn't care and it wouldn't have been taken down an hour after it was posted. It doesn't mean the spoilers is about Jon/Arya of course, but we can't rule it out yet either. 

53 minutes ago, GhostNymeria said:

Yet he's upset that it leaked. Why is he upset about a 20-year old leaked outline where he was "making shit up"? It does have spoilers that affects the current story, otherwise he wouldn't care and it wouldn't have been taken down an hour after it was posted. It doesn't mean the spoilers is about Jon/Arya of course, but we can't rule it out yet either. 

He may have been just pissed that people saw how, well, modest and different the story read back then. How much changed along the way, and how much of a gardener he actually is.

The definite spoilers therein are the fact that Dany will control the Dothraki and eventually conquer Westeros, take the Iron Throne, and then play a crucial role in the fight against the Others. We have all been expecting that, of course, but the outline actually revealed it.

I'm not completely excluding the possibility that Jon Snow and Arya will hook up, but Melisandre and Val are sexy grown-up women ripe for the taking, basically. If Jon takes one of them (or both) he'd then need some contrived way to get them out of the way to make room for Arya.

Not to mention that the story would have to focus unduly on romance to ever make us buy an Arya-Jon love story. There shouldn't be any sexual attraction there, and if so then at least Jon must develop a very strong desire for young girls. I don't see the story having time for all that. Arya is in a completely different role now, too. She should not be interested in a relationship of any sorts. Whatever development there was in her character would sort of wiped clean, in a sense, if she just came back home and allowed her big brother to protect (and fuck) her.

Nobody is going to expect that Arya-Tyrion-Jon love triangle, either, nor does anybody expect that Jaime will become king (despite some foreshadowing in that direction in the early chapters of AGoT).

Jon should also be well beyond any problems coming with having a girlfriend by now. He had Ygritte, so if he would want to have Arya he would take her, and there would be no conflict because of his oath and her being his sister. They would just do it.

4.    My friend asked him about Gendry and Arya meeting back up and when will Arya get her moonblood to which GRRM answered “soon”… and GRRM had an interesting response to Arya and Gendry meeting back up. I will let her tell you the answer

Ugh, why, just why? Even if Arya is around 12 in TWoW, for somebody of her physical type, who has been living and eating as a commoner to boot, that's  way too early. Daughter of the tavern wench in Oldtown that Pate lusted after flowered at 15, and that would be far more plausible. Why do people want to shove Arya into a sexual relationship? Even people like Viserys (!) and Tyrion said that around 13 is way too early and somewhat disgusting. And that Lannister guard in the "Mercy" chapter from TWoW also thought that only a pervert would want to screw somebody as young as Arya.

She'd need to age 3 years or so, for any relationship she might have to feel romantic, rather than squicky. Will GRRM manage to advance the time-line by that much with enough timeand space remaining  for a believable romance to develop? His track record says that this is very unlikely, IMHO.

I may have missed something, but what was the response to Arya and Gendry meeting question again? Beyond the  fact that they will, that is. Which makes it likely that Arya will also meet unCat, and possibly put her out of her misery for good. There could be some great drama there.

Oh, and @The Fattest Leech , what is your Targ/non-Targ theory? The name sounds intriguing.

34 minutes ago, Maia said:

Ugh, why, just why? Even if Arya is around 12 in TWoW, for somebody of her physical type, who has been living and eating as a commoner to boot, that's  way too early. Daughter of the tavern wench in Oldtown that Pate lusted after flowered at 15, and that would be far more plausible. Why do people want to shove Arya into a sexual relationship? Even people like Viserys (!) and Tyrion said that around 13 is way too early and somewhat disgusting. And that Lannister guard in the "Mercy" chapter from TWoW also thought that only a pervert would want to screw somebody as young as Arya.

She'd need to age 3 years or so, for any relationship she might have to feel romantic, rather than squicky. Will GRRM manage to advance the time-line by that much with enough timeand space remaining  for a believable romance to develop? His track record says that this is very unlikely, IMHO.

I may have missed something, but what was the response to Arya and Gendry meeting question again? Beyond the  fact that they will, that is. Which makes it likely that Arya will also meet unCat, and possibly put her out of her misery for good. There could be some great drama there.

Oh, and @The Fattest Leech , what is your Targ/non-Targ theory? The name sounds intriguing.

Here:

36 minutes ago, Maia said:

I don't see that happening soon or in any meaningful way. Gendry is an irrelevant character, after all. But I guess the answer to that question is more related to the mood blood thing than Gendry. Arya getting her period might become part of her training. I'd not be surprised if her second or third chapter in TWoW saw her working in a brothel as a child prostitute (or to make things more 'interesting' as an apprentice to the Black Pearl. Getting close to targets that way and feigning actual affection and lust might be an important part of her training.

As to any real romantic relationship between Arya and anyone else (not just Jon) he would have to jump through a lot of hoops to make it remotely believable and interesting.

Arya is not only not in the right age for a serious romantic relationship, she is also deeply traumatized and completely detached from herself and her emotions. Right now killing seems to only thing she truly enjoys. Jon Snow giving her an orgasm (or just seeing him again) is not going to magically turn everything back into normal.

George has created a very special and interesting character with Arya. If there is a character who has gotten a live of her own it is Arya. And I don't see her story naturally evolving into becoming somebody's girlfriend.

If Arya ever meets Catelyn Cat might be the one to survive that meeting, actually. She is very much dead. Is she even alive the same way as Beric was? I'm not sure. Beric was sort of crudely healed by the magic, but Cat is actually a half-rotten corpse. I'd be surprised if dealing her another mortal wound would actually kill her.

1 hour ago, Maia said:

~snipped~

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Here:

Thanks @kissdbyfire

It's probably a boring theory for the most part, so don't feel obligated to read it or comment on it if you don't want to.

When I first explained it, GRRM thought I was questioning hereditary genetics in Westeros as far as the general public "mixing" different cultures. I went over it again and he was like, "let me see your notes", and took my card again to look at it. It was interesting and weird and the only time I was nervous around him, and at this moment when he had my card I was extremely nervous. But he was very gracious and normal :lol:

One thing with the Targ theory (a detail I should add to my write up), is before GRRM tried to change the subject on it, he first "challenged" it by saying Aegon 2 looked Targ... to which I pointed out as part of the theory is Aegon 2 had a major identity issues... to which he agreed right away. I had a few points written on my purple notecard to help remind me just incase I forgot in the nervous excitement of being with GRRM.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

I don't see that happening soon or in any meaningful way. Gendry is an irrelevant character, after all. But I guess the answer to that question is more related to the mood blood thing than Gendry. Arya getting her period might become part of her training. I'd not be surprised if her second or third chapter in TWoW saw her working in a brothel as a child prostitute (or to make things more 'interesting' as an apprentice to the Black Pearl. Getting close to targets that way and feigning actual affection and lust might be an important part of her training.

As to any real romantic relationship between Arya and anyone else (not just Jon) he would have to jump through a lot of hoops to make it remotely believable and interesting.

Arya is not only not in the right age for a serious romantic relationship, she is also deeply traumatized and completely detached from herself and her emotions. Right now killing seems to only thing she truly enjoys. Jon Snow giving her an orgasm (or just seeing him again) is not going to magically turn everything back into normal.

George has created a very special and interesting character with Arya. If there is a character who has gotten a live of her own it is Arya. And I don't see her story naturally evolving into becoming somebody's girlfriend.

If Arya ever meets Catelyn Cat might be the one to survive that meeting, actually. She is very much dead. Is she even alive the same way as Beric was? I'm not sure. Beric was sort of crudely healed by the magic, but Cat is actually a half-rotten corpse. I'd be surprised if dealing her another mortal wound would actually kill her.

Never would have pictured that. Interesting idea. In general, I just don't see her being the settle-down type as well. At least not in the books we will get. Maybe an epilogue or some other novella way later??? She had too many mental issues to work through that happened at the young, impressionable age.

I think some people assume Arya/Gendry because of the whole "she's highborn/I'm not". Examples like this in one chapter are usually clues to what will happen to someone else in another chapter. Liek when Bran was still at Winterfell playing Lord of the Crossing with the Frey kids... and then we had that play acted out in real life with Lord Walder saying "mayhaps" three times to Cat and Robb before the Red Wedding. I tend to think that the "she's highborn/I'm not" (and the wrestling) issue was more for Jon and Val later. Val is introduced in Storm which is the same book that the Arya/Gendry thing happens.

2 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I think some people assume Arya/Gendry because of the whole "she's highborn/I'm not". Examples like this in one chapter are usually clues to what will happen to someone else in another chapter. Liek when Bran was still at Winterfell playing Lord of the Crossing with the Frey kids... and then we had that play acted out in real life with Lord Walder saying "mayhaps" three times to Cat and Robb before the Red Wedding. I tend to think that the "she's highborn/I'm not" (and the wrestling) issue was more for Jon and Val later. Val is introduced in Storm which is the same book that the Arya/Gendry thing happens.

George could have kept Gendry and Arya together, but he abandoned her. That is an important point and there is little chance that they will get back together. I mean, she also spend some quality time with the Hound yet nobody sees her and Sandor starting 'a relationship'. And only very, say, interesting people ship Sansa and Sandor (and I admit there is not so bad a chance for that, but George does exactly go out of his way to force such a relationship).

Come to think of it - Arya also meets her betrothed, little Elmar Frey, at Harrenhal. But that is just irony on George's part. Nobody is thinking they will ever be a thing (at least I hope it is).

Arya hanging out with the Black Pearl seems to be a pretty interesting development considering that the Black Pearl is entertaining Ser Harys in Mercy, and the Iron Bank/Faceless Men might decide to have him suffer an unfortunate accident, too, considering that they sent Tycho Nestoris to broker a deal with Stannis. If the story takes that road then Arya might be involved in that somehow.

We had Arya cross the way of the Black Pearl already as Cat, and I think there are hints that she might feature more prominently in the story eventually. As might the political situation in Braavos following the imminent death of the Sealord. That could be our window in the Faceless Men's role in Braavosi politics and give us a measure how influential and powerful they actually are.

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

George could have kept Gendry and Arya together, but he abandoned her. That is an important point and there is little chance that they will get back together. I mean, she also spend some quality time with the Hound yet nobody sees her and Sandor starting 'a relationship'. And only very, say, interesting people ship Sansa and Sandor (and I admit there is not so bad a chance for that, but George does exactly go out of his way to force such a relationship).

Come to think of it - Arya also meets her betrothed, little Elmar Frey, at Harrenhal. But that is just irony on George's part. Nobody is thinking they will ever be a thing (at least I hope it is).

Arya hanging out with the Black Pearl seems to be a pretty interesting development considering that the Black Pearl is entertaining Ser Harys in Mercy, and the Iron Bank/Faceless Men might decide to have him suffer an unfortunate accident, too, considering that they sent Tycho Nestoris to broker a deal with Stannis. If the story takes that road then Arya might be involved in that somehow.

We had Arya cross the way of the Black Pearl already as Cat, and I think there are hints that she might feature more prominently in the story eventually. As might the political situation in Braavos following the imminent death of the Sealord. That could be our window in the Faceless Men's role in Braavosi politics and give us a measure how influential and powerful they actually are.

I agree that the Black Pearl was given too much backstory for just a fly-by character.

Hmmm, good ideas. I have to go drink lots of coffee right now, but I will definitely by thinking on this. I guess I hadn't thought too much about this particular arc in a while. I always took the idea of the Narrow Sea as something like the river Styx, meaning those who cross it (for the most part) are crossing into death.

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Arya getting her period might become part of her training. I'd not be surprised if her second or third chapter in TWoW saw her working in a brothel as a child prostitute (or to make things more 'interesting' as an apprentice to the Black Pearl. Getting close to targets that way and feigning actual affection and lust might be an important part of her training.

Mm... why exactly would she need to get her period to become a child prostitute? And honestly, I am not sure that drawing out Arya's training and heading deeper into squick territory  would lead to an interesting pay-off in  terms of her role in the overall outcome of the series. I really liked all her Braavosi chapters, but it's time for her to move somewhere else, where she can affect important events without too much contrivance (like randomly bumping into Sam!) -  either to Westeros or to Pentos, etc. Not to mention that apprenticeship to a famous courtesan, with a view towards becoming something similar, should be more like education of a geisha, with virginity being a very important and valuable chip, to be spent with a lot of forethought, once a girl reaches the peak of her "maidenly" attractiveness.  Which is, again at least 3 or so years away for Arya.

If Arya ever meets Catelyn Cat might be the one to survive that meeting, actually.

I am not envisioning a fight or an attempt at assassination, though. I am thinking back to what caused unCat to rise  and has been motivating her since. Loss of her children and there being nobody else to avenge their betrayal. In that sense, being confronted with a surviving child who is willing and ready to take over her mission might remove unCat's animating principle, as it were, and Arya might be able to lay her mother to rest, with Bran possibly chipping in to. It would be particularly appropriate, since Arya was the one who contributed to her undeath, by fishing her corpse out of the river when warging Nymeria.

38 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I would like to see the Black Pearl too, but Ser Harys is a complete non-entity, as anybody with a 2 brain-cells to rub together can see. It would be a contrived waste for the Faceless Men to murder _him_, when the Iron Bank can just refuse him. If IB indeed has the FM at it's disposal, there are far, far better targets to aim them at - like Cersei herself or Tommen. But I could imagine Arya somehow worming her way into Ser Harys's entourage and using them as her ride to Westeros, or wherever else he could be going - both Lys and Pentos could be interesting in that sense, particularly if Dany finally moves her posterior Westeros-wards. Or, say, Barristan has to make good on his promise to the Tattered Prince. 

Concerning Gendry, I never understood why people wanted to pair them up, or pair her with anybody, really, but I am still curious about what exactly GRRM has said on this matter. Is the @The Fattest Leech's  friend's report posted somewhere? TIA.

Oh, and thanks for all the explanations re: Targ/non-Targ theory. I am afraid that I'll have to be Doylist about it - since Dany, her parents and siblings had to have the signature Valyrian looks, but not Jon, yet the size of Targaryen family and the extent of their prior inter-marriage with Westerosi grew in the telling, GRRM decided to give some family members that as per listing of kings at the back of AGoT didn't inherit the throne, the non-Targ looks.  Maekar, Aegon V and Jaeherys II were all younger sons in the AGoT Appendix, so only their elder siblings were available for this.  

@Maia I am not home at the minute. I'm at my kids school to help herd the cats for the end of the school year field day, but I will get what Gendry notes I can, or, see if she wants to join in on the conversation here. There wasn't much info, basically that Arya and Gendry will meet again and Arya gets her moonblood "soon"... But I don't think GRRM ever confirmed those two will be married or anything. It seems to me that this is where Arya comes home, gets to the River lands and finds Nymeria again, and the BWB and most likely Stoneheart. I think Arya will give the final death to her mother since it was Arya/Nymeria that found dead Cat and pulled her from the water. Arya is a water dancer, after all, and to dance often means fight/ death. This will close the circle of the LSH plot line nicely. 

I'd like to ask you more about my Targ birth genetics, but I'll have to do that later because I need to pay attention to the kids soon :D

3 hours ago, Maia said:

Ser Harys is a complete non-entity, as anybody with a 2 brain-cells to rub together can see.

Ok, so maybe I only have one brain cell, but it isn't so quick to dismiss Harys Swift. He was in the tent at the battle of the Green Fork when Tywin shattered his glass and told him 'that is your peace', and has been making blink-and-you'll miss it appearances at critical junctures in every single book since.

He might be a chinless wonder, but I'm pretty sure he has a treacherous side and some significance to the plot.

3 hours ago, Maia said:

Mm... why exactly would she need to get her period to become a child prostitute?

I guess because the Martinworld societies usually think you can only fuck a girl when she has her period. The idea would be that they only put her in a brothel after they knew she can be fucked. And it would, in a sense, be the next logical step after the Mercy chapter. This chapter did not yet mark the end of her training.

3 hours ago, Maia said:

And honestly, I am not sure that drawing out Arya's training and heading deeper into squick territory  would lead to an interesting pay-off in  terms of her role in the overall outcome of the series. I really liked all her Braavosi chapters, but it's time for her to move somewhere else, where she can affect important events without too much contrivance (like randomly bumping into Sam!) -  either to Westeros or to Pentos, etc. Not to mention that apprenticeship to a famous courtesan, with a view towards becoming something similar, should be more like education of a geisha, with virginity being a very important and valuable chip, to be spent with a lot of forethought, once a girl reaches the peak of her "maidenly" attractiveness.  Which is, again at least 3 or so years away for Arya.

That might be correct, of course. But whatever political story is going to unfold in Braavos now, I don't think the keyholders and the ailing Sealord have been mentioned without a reason. Something is going to happen there, soon, and Arya might fit into that somehow.

3 hours ago, Maia said:

I am not envisioning a fight or an attempt at assassination, though. I am thinking back to what caused unCat to rise  and has been motivating her since. Loss of her children and there being nobody else to avenge their betrayal. In that sense, being confronted with a surviving child who is willing and ready to take over her mission might remove unCat's animating principle, as it were, and Arya might be able to lay her mother to rest, with Bran possibly chipping in to. It would be particularly appropriate, since Arya was the one who contributed to her undeath, by fishing her corpse out of the river when warging Nymeria.

I expect some sort of Stark family reunion involving Cat, Arya, Sansa, Bran, and perhaps even Rickon and Jon, but I don't think that will happen soon.

3 hours ago, Maia said:

I would like to see the Black Pearl too, but Ser Harys is a complete non-entity, as anybody with a 2 brain-cells to rub together can see. It would be a contrived waste for the Faceless Men to murder _him_, when the Iron Bank can just refuse him. If IB indeed has the FM at it's disposal, there are far, far better targets to aim them at - like Cersei herself or Tommen. But I could imagine Arya somehow worming her way into Ser Harys's entourage and using them as her ride to Westeros, or wherever else he could be going - both Lys and Pentos could be interesting in that sense, particularly if Dany finally moves her posterior Westeros-wards. Or, say, Barristan has to make good on his promise to the Tattered Prince. 

We'll have to wait and see how long Harys is going to hang out in Braavos. Perhaps the Iron Bank only makes its decision after Tycho's return (if he ever returns)? I doubt that Arya is going to jump a ship to Westeros, soon.

3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

@Maia I am not home at the minute. I'm at my kids school to help herd the cats for the end of the school year field day, but I will get what Gendry notes I can, or, see if she wants to join in on the conversation here. There wasn't much info, basically that Arya and Gendry will meet again and Arya gets her moonblood "soon"... But I don't think GRRM ever confirmed those two will be married or anything. It seems to me that this is where Arya comes home, gets to the River lands and finds Nymeria again, and the BWB and most likely Stoneheart. I think Arya will give the final death to her mother since it was Arya/Nymeria that found dead Cat and pulled her from the water. Arya is a water dancer, after all, and to dance often means fight/ death. This will close the circle of the LSH plot line nicely. 

If I remember correctly then George has already said somewhere that Arya and Gendry will meet again. So that in itself is not necessary anything new. But more Arya Riverlands adventures don't exactly thrill me.

2 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

If Arya becomes a child prostitute I will eat my hat - and stop reading the books in disgust.

I honestly don't see her plot going in that sick and disgusting direction. It would destroy her story arc.

She is half there in the Mercy chapter already. The idea is not that she has fun there or is exploited but learns how to use skills in that department to get close to potential targets. The Faceless Men are very twisted people, after all.

On June 13, 2016 at 10:39 AM, The Fattest Leech said:

I'd like to ask you more about my Targ birth genetics, but I'll have to do that later because I need to pay attention to the kids soon :D

Spot on. I'm actually kind of embarrassed I didn't notice the new posts in this thread earlier. Anyway, yes, he did say "I'll visit them again." Then he followed up saying, "They're still very young."

Then after that I asked about Arya flowering and he replied saying "soon." 

I know many shippers will read your post, see those two answers together, and think that Arya flowering will have a lot to do with her relationship with Gendry, but it most likely won't. It's evident that GRRM views them as being young kids. They're not gonna bang. 

Also, like Winter's Cold brought up, there's still that "separate futures" comment about Arya and Gendry to consider. It came from a pretty good source, so I think that's important to remember. 

13 minutes ago, Joan Jett said:

Spot on. I'm actually kind of embarrassed I didn't notice the new posts in this thread earlier. Anyway, yes, he did say "I'll visit them again." Then he followed up saying, "They're still very young."

Then after that I asked about Arya flowering and he replied saying "soon." 

I know many shippers will read your post, see those two answers together, and think that Arya flowering will have a lot to do with her relationship with Gendry, but it most likely won't. It's evident that GRRM views them as being young kids. They're not gonna bang. 

Also, like Winter's Cold brought up, there's still that "separate futures" comment about Arya and Gendry to consider. It came from a pretty good source, so I think that's important to remember. 

Hey Jett! :D. Good to have your input here. 

What a lot of readers need to remember is that in many cases the foreshadowing we see between characters in one chapter often is a set up for another character in another chapter. Take Bran playing "Lord of the Crossing" with the Frey kids then what happens at The Twins/ Red Wedding. I don't think Gendry and Arya will end together as a couple, maybe partners in another way???, but not married. 

4 hours ago, Joan Jett said:

That's what I wanted to learn more about - so this  "separate futures"  comment wasn't  something that he said to you? I mean, it makes perfect sense and I am glad to hear it. It looks like Arya will run into the BwB primarily for some other purpose - like laying unCat to rest and taking over, for instance. One can hope, at least. 

Now, I don't want for Arya to have a romantic relationship with anybody - as GRRM, thankfully, anknowledges, she is very young, and there is a world to save. Not sure why she has to get her period "soon", then -  between her age, physique and the life she leads, this doesn't make a lot of sense. I also really hope that Arya gets to be somebody in her own right, rather than marries a guy at 13-14 and becomes his side-kick.

22 minutes ago, Maia said:

That's what I wanted to learn more about - so this  "separate futures"  comment wasn't  something that he said to you? I mean, it makes perfect sense and I am glad to hear it. It looks like Arya will run into the BwB primarily for some other purpose - like laying unCat to rest and taking over, for instance. One can hope, at least. 

Now, I don't want for Arya to have a romantic relationship with anybody - as GRRM thankfully anknowledges, she is very young, and there is a world to save. Not sure why she has to get her period "soon", then -  between her age, physique and the life she leads, this doesn't make a lot of sense. I also really hope that Arya gets to be somebody in her own right, rather than marries a guy at 13-14 and becomes his side-kick.

That comment came from a Gendrya shipper actually. The person's friend went to a book signing in 2012 and asked about the pairing. "His response was that Arya and Gendry have separate futures but whether they'll ever meet up again, you'll just have to keep reading."

39 minutes ago, Joan Jett said:

That comment came from a Gendrya shipper actually. The person's friend went to a book signing in 2012 and asked about the pairing. "His response was that Arya and Gendry have separate futures but whether they'll ever meet up again, you'll just have to keep reading."

Well, that seems to be taking the Riverlands sort of out of the equation again. Which is pretty good. Arya can have Nymeria attack people without being physically there, after all.

And the chances of Gendry and Arya hooking up again are zero if you ask me. They have no longer anything in common and Gendry would most likely be disgusted by the person Arya has become just as Arya would look down on the boy he still is. She is not only of noble birth but on her way to become an assassin who can actually use magic to accomplish her goals. That doesn't make you very approachable for the common man, and when Arya went to Braavos she was done with trying to fit in anywhere or live a normal life. She was already incapable of that when she was with Sandor in that village. Remember how she treated the little girl there?

Archived