NFL 2016: Is there a draft in here or is it just me?

Maithanet

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Has any player in the NFL other than Jamarcus Russell earned as much money as Bradford for achieving so little? 

Heh, Russell recently came out and said he'd play for free for another shot in the league, even willing to be a water boy to get a chance. He's either delusional like Bradford, or he should share some of his humble pie with him.

17 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

This is particularly bad seeing how he has already been paid $75 million, and has been an utterly mediocre quarterback for six seasons. 

To put things in perspective, Aaron Rodgers had earned about $50 million through the first eight years of his career (2005-2012). Sometimes it pays to peak in college, I guess.

Manhole-

i'd like to agree, but you're overly optimistic. We're sub-Browns, my friend. We're every bit as bad on and off the field at this point, but at least they know how to lose. We pick 6 spots behind them in every fucking round, not because we were that much better, but rather because of things like being around when Robbie Gould decides to take the game off. when you're as bad as we are, tomorrow is the Superb Owl, and we handicapped our chances with cosmetic last second wins and are likely to miss on many picks so Trent Baalke can show everyone he's the smartest guy in the room again.

That said, he can manipulate a draft board, so there's always an outside chance he has a great draft...but another 2012 type of shutout is also a frighteningly real prospect. 

My feelings on Sam Bradford remain as beige as ever. I don't dislike him as much as some of you seem to, I just have no reaction at all. He could play at the same level for another decade, and 11 years from now I'll forget he existed. 

6 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Manhole-

i'd like to agree, but you're overly optimistic. We're sub-Browns, my friend. We're every bit as bad on and off the field at this point, but at least they know how to lose. We pick 6 spots behind them in every fucking round, not because we were that much better, but rather because of things like being around when Robbie Gould decides to take the game off. when you're as bad as we are, tomorrow is the Superb Owl, and we handicapped our chances with cosmetic last second wins and are likely to miss on many picks so Trent Baalke can show everyone he's the smartest guy in the room again.

That said, he can manipulate a draft board, so there's always an outside chance he has a great draft...but another 2012 type of shutout is also a frighteningly real prospect. 

Fuck. Fuckity-Fuck-Fuck. Shit. 

For the draft, here are my preferred options for Washington going into the draft.

1.  Trade back from #21 for good value.  The best hope for this is that Paxton Lynch is still there, and teams are starting to get nervous someone will jump ahead of them.  Alternatively, it looks like there will be a run on WRs with Houston, Minnesota and Cincy all needing another receiver.  Both of these are obviously not going to get some crazy draft haul, but potentially picking up an extra 3rd round pick to move back a bit would be awesome.  It seems like there are a ton of solid D line options available in the 25-40 range in this draft.

2.  DT/DE Sheldon Rankins is still available.  Caveat that I am obviously not a talent scout, but everything I've read about this guy I like.  He is powerful, active, with good hands, and is scheme diverse.  Most (but not all) mock drafts have him taken somewhere in the 12-19 range, but with all the D line talent in this draft a bit of a fall is within reason.

3.  BPA, preferably on D line.  I do not really buy the argument that we have a huge need at ILB.  We could use help there, but the bigger problem is that the D line keeps allowing free blockers to take out our linebackers. 

I am getting worryingly optimistic about the Redskins defense this year, as all the reports indicate that Galette is going to be a solid 10 sack guy, Kerrigan is healthy, and Preston Smith was coming on strong to end his rookie year last year.  Add in Josh Norman and suddenly we are one playmaker on the D line away from having a very solid squad, at least until injuries start setting in.

21 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

You're not helping.

I'll help.

On the plus side, as much of a dick as he is, Baalke's philosophy of building through the draft and accumulating picks is ideal.

But, then there's this: in the unlikely event that we build any kind of success, it's constructed on the foundation of Trent Baalke, Chip Kelly and Jed York's long-term ability to suppress their egos/desire for control for the sake of the greater good. So there's that.

But, going back the other way, we have cool uniforms.

Bengals needs:

WR, DT, DE, LB, C, OG 

Don't much care about order of picks but I tend to believe the Bengals will address WR/DL in the first 2-3 rounds. I'd love them to draft a center as well since that would make so much difference to our run game but just can't see them doing it despite Bodine being the worst starting center in the league. We need an athletic LB badly but they won't draft one early either so our draft should be fairly predictable.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

If the Eagles were in fully 76ers rebuild mode, they wouldn't have traded away their first round pick next year.  They definitely think they can be competitive in the weak NFC East. 

The best case scenario for Philly is definitely that Bradford plays well, so they could trade him and get some of that draft capital back.  That would also be the best case scenario for Bradford.  But he isn't willing to do that, which is why he is coming across as an entitled jerk, who thinks he "deserves" a long term commitment from an NFL team.  This is particularly bad seeing how he has already been paid $75 million, and has been an utterly mediocre quarterback for six seasons. 

They are going to be horrible next year.  They have no shot at competing in the NFC East.  Bradford will win them some games, bu they still have no shot at the playoffs.  If they start the rookie or Chase Daniel they'll be donating the #1 pick in the draft to Browns. Look at the issues they had last year, and then realize that they lost players, the only player they added of consequence was one offensive guard, and they traded all of their relevant draft picks for this year.

The whole narrative is comical. He "doesn't want to compete with the rookie", and "he's already made so much money."  One, there is no competition with the rookie.  Bradford will be the better player than Wentz for at least the next two years, with the legit possibiltiy that Wentz isn't any good and he is never better than Bradford. The problem is that the management is pot committed to proving Wentz is the franchise guy, meaning Bradford has had his legs cut out from under him.

The money issue is a joke as well. Sam signed an extremely team friendly short term deal (one that the Eagles can get out of for peanuts after one year) in order to bet on himself. Instead, the Eagles tanked the roster and are drafting the guy he is supposed to train to replace himself.

14 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Add in Josh Norman and suddenly we are one playmaker on the D line away from having a very solid squad, at least until injuries start setting in.

I'm still not convinced he's anything special. He worked wonders in the Panther's system, but how different is it from Washington's? And the Panther's had an amazing front 7 which greatly aided their DBs.  

That said, Washington strikes me as they type of team that might try and trade up for Zeke.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm still not convinced he's anything special. He worked wonders in the Panther's system, but how different is it from Washington's? And the Panther's had an amazing front 7 which greatly aided their DBs.  

That said, Washington strikes me as they type of team that might try and trade up for Zeke.

The Redskins scheme is pretty similar to the Panthers, we both run a lot of zone and quarters coverages that Norman is best at.  Of course we don't have the Panthers front 7, but the Panthers had the #2 defense last year.  Ours was #28, in great part because our defense (particularly the secondary) was absolutely devastated by injuries.  In contrast our offense had very good injury luck, aside from losing four tight ends.  Between adding a D lineman in the draft, Gallete recovering from injury at OLB and the Josh Norman signing, we could have one additional contributor at all three levels.  That is how you get a significant improvement. 

There is absolutely zero chance that we trade up for Elliot.  McLoughan hates trading up in the draft, and the times he has done it in the past (at SF and SEA) it didn't really work out for him.  This has only solidified his antipathy against trading up.  His philosophy is always either trading back or going BPA. 

Agreed.  I may be biased, but if Romo is healthy, I don't think the Redskins are a likely shot to make the playoffs.  Cowboys with a good offense (if Romo is healthy!) and an average defense are the best team in that division, although the Redskins are surprisingly not as terrible as they have been.

3 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Pittsburgh is very close to West Virginia!

Don't get me started on West by God Virginia...those hilljacks are the worst.

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Football season wouldn't be the same, without hugs and kisses and a poo-choo train. :rolleyes:

Poo choo train is my favorite thing, spreading draft week joy as we ride and sing.

Also, does it seem to anyone else that the draft hype just isn't really there this year? Not counting the 400,000 mock drafts, it just lacks the normal anticipation to me.

3 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Also, does it seem to anyone else that the draft hype just isn't really there this year? Not counting the 400,000 mock drafts, it just lacks the normal anticipation to me.

I kind of burnt out on it a few years back. I mostly just want to see who my team grabbed and where. I don't think I've bothered to watch more than a half hour of any of them for the past few years.

Archived