Strong powerful women

Jack Bauer 24

1 minute ago, kimim said:

Varma is good, but Dorne is awful, both novels and show. Best thing I can say about the show is that they kicked it to the background.

Clarke...imo not a good actress, and her part is badly written. As with Dorne, show is suffering the shortcomings of the novel.

imo show Cersei is a vast improvement over the novel Cersei, in that she is human. This season's KL bits are boring me to death, though, despite that. Not much is happening. Characters that were fun, like Olenna, are lackluster. I wish the show had reduced screen time for KL, which is a waiting game til Dany shows up and/or Cersei burns it down, in both novels and show.

...don't forget Whelan, whose Yara is superior to Pirates of the Caribbean Asha. Then there's Van Houten, who is great.

They should have switched Dormer and Clarke! Dormer's irony would have saved the khalasar scene. Clarke is so very earnest. omg.

Yeah Whalen is great. Asha is terrible in the books while Yara is great on the show. And yeah Carice is great too. Maisie is awesome as well.

16 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

She was one of the major characters of season 3. You dont need to show endless scenes just to do that. She's been in the show since season 1, how much more development do you need.

No she wasn't. She was sidelined. Has been sidelined since the beginning. They prioritised Robb's campaign over Catelyn watching her family crumble around her. It's been said over and over again but Cat just did not get enough screen time. It's a metric fact that she got less screen time than minor characters and no amount of wiggle room excuses that. You can only do so much with so little. 

14 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Yeah Whalen is great. Asha is terrible in the books while Yara is great on the show. And yeah Carice is great too. Maisie is awesome as well.

I'll bite. Why is Asha terrible in the books ?

5 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

She's a PotC cardboard cutout.

Yea George clearly ripped of Pirates of the Caribbean with a character he created before Pirates of the Caribbean existed. Seriously, what makes the show character so much different and better?

1 minute ago, Boarsbane said:

Yea George clearly ripped of Pirates of the Caribbean with a character he created before Pirates of the Caribbean existed. Seriously, what makes the show character so much different and better?

Typical pirate. One of the many reasons I prefer show Euron is no tropey eye patch.

1 minute ago, Boarsbane said:

let me guess:

she's a strong woman with agency who crushes weak little men.

7 minutes ago, Valetudo said:

let me guess:

she's a strong woman with agency who crushes weak little men.

Good point, I'd forgotten Asha in the books tried to make peace with people, the opposite of what a strong woman would do. Show Asha, sorry Yara, will no doubt advocate total war against the men of Westeros,  continuing the theme of strong women.

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Why is Asha terrible in the books?

56 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

I'll bite. Why is Asha terrible in the books ?

21 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

She's a PotC cardboard cutout.

Oh, just seen there is the same question....

Definitely the Iron Born's fear of dogs was excellent world building and character building.  

And it was there that we first saw Ramsay's charisma and genius, where he hypnotized a room full of people wearing leather and chain mail and got them to stand still and watch, while he, shirtless in silk pants,  monologued and then let loose the hounds.

GRRM would never have been able to come up with such a multi dimensional characterization and deeply moving scene as that.

Archived