Strong powerful women

Jack Bauer 24

6 minutes ago, Crixus said:

Prostitutes offering free sex is ridiculous, not funny, seeing as how that's the way they earn a living. Also, they showed the brothel owner, LF, being a ruthless master in the scene with Ros in S2, post bastard slaying. So it comes off silly and far-fetched that several prostitutes from the same brothel all decide not to charge a customer. Further, it compounds the depiction of prostitutes in GoT (I think they did a good job with Ros though). 

Anyway, whether you find it distasteful or funny is a matter of opinion so I'll leave it at that. 

Yeah, human trafficking, sexual abuse, incest being cool with everybody, yeah, this show is really edgy and oh, so funny. Surprised they haven't added a laugh track

At the time, I found Ros to be annoyingly expository ("play with her arse"), but after Olly and Olyvar and all the Bronn shit, I look on her ginned-up character now somewhat fondly. If the divergences had only been that mild. 

Getting back to topic, the whole Shae thing was a mess. Even if she was forced to testify against Tyrion and Sansa, why was she lolliing around in Tywin's bed that night? With access to a knife? Wearing a conveniently long, thick gold necklace and little else? 

Ok, I'm confused - if she didn't fall in love with Tyrion, why was she upset about his plan to send her away from a war-torn city to live in comfort and safety, with a small fortune thrown into the bargain? Maybe I didn't watch it properly lol.

2 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

Yeah, human trafficking, sexual abuse, incest being cool with everybody, yeah, this show is really edgy and oh, so funny. Surprised they haven't added a laugh track

At the time, I found Ros to be annoyingly expository ("play with her arse"), but after Olly and Olyvar and all the Bronn shit, I look on her ginned-up character now somewhat fondly. If the divergences had only been that mild. 

Getting back to topic, the whole Shae thing was a mess. Even if she was forced to testify against Tyrion and Sansa, why was she lolliing around in Tywin's bed that night? With access to a knife? Wearing a conveniently long, thick gold necklace and little else? 

What makes you think she was forced?

Yeah, it's too bad C4 doesn't have classes we can take so he can teach us all the proper way to watch a show. He did give me a free lesson the other day though. Did you know that your not allowed to watch Got with the lights on? Apparently that's not the proper way to watch either. Huh, who knew? 

3 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

No.. its just that if you bother to watch the scene, instead of repeat other peoples complaints you read once, you'd understand the meaning of what was said. Its pretty simple.

Apparently not, since we have all watched the scene. It is not just you.

8 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

And this in a thread about 'strong powerful women'. Vomit. 

Ros: I liked the scene between her and LF. Even the one with her and Theon. It rang true: a woman in her situation would have to deal with ruthless pimps and all manner of gross clients. 

It's ironic that in a show known and lauded for being 'edgy', prostitutes are often depicted as shinysparklyweloveourjobsandgivefreesex types. You'd think it would be more 'realistic' to have a darker aspect to this. 

2 minutes ago, Crixus said:

And this in a thread about 'strong powerful women'. Vomit. 

Ros: I liked the scene between her and LF. Even the one with her and Theon. It rang true: a woman in her situation would have to deal with ruthless pimps and all manner of gross clients. 

It's ironic that in a show known and lauded for being 'edgy', prostitutes are often depicted as shinysparklyweloveourjobsandgivefreesex types. You'd think it would be more 'realistic' to have a darker aspect to this. 

You honestly think all prostitutes are forced into it? 

I thought the scene in the brothel in Volantis was quite a good one.  Slave prostitutes have nothing to lose by pretending to enjoy what they do.  At worst, it ensures they escape a beating from either their owner or the customer;  at best, there might be financial rewards for them, perhaps enabling them one day to buy their freedom.

12 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

You honestly think all prostitutes are forced into it? 

Where did I 'honestly' say that? Where did I say forced? I said it's a JOB. Women don't generally sell sex FOR FUN. If you don't know that, I can't help you. 

And you still haven't answered how you honestly know 'it happens' yet. Waiting...-

11 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Seriously. go back and watch the scene. Tell me the moment you see the prostitute say she's willing to have sex with Tyrion without him pay her any money. go and do that. 

I just watched it. She told him he has no money and he didn't really deny it (no way she bought the "I was one of the richest men in the world" line). And she never asked for payment first when she tried to take him to the private room to have sex even though he looked like he couldn't afford it.  So you are wrong.

15 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Seriously. go back and watch the scene. Tell me the moment you see the prostitute say she's willing to have sex with Tyrion without him pay her any money. go and do that. 

She concludes he has no money.

Short convo.

She takes his hand.  "Come on, then.  We'll have to wash you first."

"I can't" and other nonsense follows.

Yep, she's offering it for free.  I'll be interested in why you think it says something different.

Edit: :ninja: by @David Selig. :)

5 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

She concludes he has no money.

Short convo.

She takes his hand.  "Come on, then.  We'll have to wash you first."

"I can't" and other nonsense follows.

Yep, she's offering it for free.  I'll be interested in why you think it says something different.

Edit: :ninja: by @David Selig. :)

Nope. He says 'do I look like a man without money'. There is no confirmation that he has no money at all. 

15 minutes ago, Crixus said:

And you still haven't answered how you honestly know 'it happens' yet. Waiting...-

Don't you know? He's such a big boy, it probably happened to him. You know, right after he taught the prostitute to do her job properly. 

28 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Nope. He says 'do I look like a man without money'. There is no confirmation that he has no money at all. 

Please tell me, using your apparent vast knowledge of prostitution, how likely is for a new client to get sex in a brothel without paying first if he is as poorly dressed as Tyrion was in that scene?

Archived