Strong powerful women

Jack Bauer 24

1 minute ago, Sveto said:

I said she can't do anything alone. You're the one making up things, because there is difference between something she did and something she said she would do but will she? Don't have intention to reply to you anymore, bye.

Considering she JUST said it, we don't know if she will unless you read filming spoilers. 

7 minutes ago, Sveto said:

I said she can't do anything alone. You're the one making up things, because there is difference between something she did and something she said she would do but will she? Don't have intention to reply to you anymore, bye.

She will totally do it alone, at least until she reach a river that she has to cross. lol

4 hours ago, Liver and Onions said:

The treatment of show Catelyn was quite strange. I think the only change they made that I liked was her releasing Jaime in order to protect him from Karstark. (But that's a change that had to made because the budget prevented them from putting Jaime in a castle cell, like the books, where it was easier to defend him. And of course Karstark's sons had been killed in the Whispering Woods, not five minutes ago during Jaime's cousin-murdering escape. And Karstark had held his peace, only killing Lannister hostages in reaction to Catelyn's actions.) Initially, it seemed like they were trying to make her more likable by toning down her dislike of Jon, but they ended up taking a lot away from her character. She's a loving mother in the books, but she's politically savvy and wants to protect the rights of her children. Sansa could be queen, dangit! Bastards and sons of bastards plague the true born kids for generations, just look at those Blackfyres, Robb!  Lady Stoneheart is the beyond-the-grave vengeance of a women who thought she'd lost everything (ironically, the only murdered child was the one she saw killed before her eyes). 

Sorry, nitpicking here, but Cat never argued for Sansa's rights to be Queen in the books. She agreed with Robb that Sansa could not inherit the North because of her marriage to Tyrion. Because of this Sansa was likely disinherited altogether.  Cat does, however, argue for Arya's rights. 

On 5/20/2016 at 11:38 AM, Jack Bauer 24 said:

"Where do whores go." "Fat pink mast." If you want to be a pedant and throw around lines we can sit here and do that.

The thing with your comment on the " fat pink mast" quote is that it again highlights your ignorance in understanding characterization. Sam is an awkward, insecure young man who has never been with a women in his entire life. You may not personally like the line and think it's stupid, but that's the whole point. It is totally plausible that this is something that Sam would say. Much more so than, (paraphrasing) "fuck the watch, fuck the world, I just wanna get laid and be Giilies baby daddy."

If you want to express you personal dislike of the line than that's fine. But an attempt to bash GRRM'S writing with it is, well, just you being you, a troll, and a bad one at that. 

11 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

The thing with your comment on the " fat pink mast" quote is that it again highlights your ignorance in understanding characterization. Sam is an awkward, insecure young man who has never been with a women in his entire life. You may not personally like the line and think it's stupid, but that's the whole point. It is totally plausible that this is something that Sam would say. Much so more than, (paraphrasing) "fuck the watch, fuck the world, I just wanna get laid and be Giilies baby daddy."

If you want to express you personal dislike of the line than that's fine. But an attempt to bash GRRM'S writing with it is, well, just you being you, a troll. 

"Where do whores go" repeatedly.

52 minutes ago, Sveto said:

Ellaria is a psychopath, Sansa can't do anything alone, Mel can't be strong/powerful because she fears and serves her god, she is a puppet. The same for Theon's sister, she was proving her father something her whole life. If Arya "is really no one, she have nothing to fear".

If one can't be strong/powerful because of serving somebody, then Brienne is sooooo disqualified.

Also, who are the women who lose in 'powerful' to Dany because they're more of psychopats than her?

1 minute ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Couldn't save Martin there I see, so you resort to this. 

Aside from your biased dislike of it, what's your actual critisism? I've read countless posts of yours bashing the books, but not a single legit critisism. 

9 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

"Where do shores go" repeatedly.

Shores??

And again, there is nothing inherently bad about that line. It is used a lot. GRRM does that with a few lines that get overused - Words are Wind, etc.

But the line itself is not bad. But "I Drink and I Know Things", and "Bad Pussy" and so many others are just poorly written. And other than 12-year-olds and frat boys, I can't see anyone thinking that is great writing.

4 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Or how about Diarrhea Dany in the books? Not very empowered .

So not having diarrhea is what makes one empowered? I guess I'll never eat Taco Bell again so I can be empowered.

13 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

Shores??

And again, there is nothing inherently bad about that line. It is used a lot. GRRM does that with a few lines that get overused - Words are Wind, etc.

But the line itself is not bad. But "I Drink and I Know Things", and "Bad Pussy" and so many others are just poorly written. And other than 12-year-olds and frat boys, I can't see anyone thinking that is great writing.

"I am of the night!" Yeah...how many Hugo's did that win?

3 hours ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

But is it really a regression to go back to S1 Jaime after his daughter was murdered, sister/lover shamed, his sons wife is locked up, the HS has taken over his home...

I think so. A very big regression indeed.

He wasn't the real father of the childen. He was never allowed and although he cared about them, he didn't care like a father.

So he is upset with the situation, but it doesn't have sense to say that what only matters is he and Cersei, as if he hadn't learnt anything before with Brienne.

He just wants to kill the HS because he is angry, but doesn't think like a reformed knight, he thinks like S1 Jaime, the one who almost kill Bran.

And the worst is that he is thinking all these because he would do anything for the woman he loves, Cersei, and in her terms. That makes no sense at all. Jaime should be asking himself if he only loves this woman, and if the terms of  this woman (who is sad because she lost her children) are reasonable or not, considering he has grown up as a character in the previous seasons.

I mean, even Tommen is more intelligent than Jaime now, and he didn't have his hand cut.

1 hour ago, Liver and Onions said:

I agree. I know a lot of book readers dislike Cat for her treatment of Jon ( and many more just dislike her treatment of Jon), but I always appreciated it. (And I like Jon, too, shocking!) It was logical; she wouldn't be maternal toward Jon, but she had it in her to be civil. In the beginning, the show seemed to give excuses (to my eye, at least) why some of Cat's lines were changed. The infamous "it should have been you" was changed to "I want you to leave," and in-story you could argue it because she knew better to say something so cruel (even under such grief and duress) to Jon with Ned standing in the doorway. (I think this is the Watsonian vs. Doylist perspective on character motivation, I'm going to have to look that up. As I understand it, it's the character making a decision in story for his/her reasons vs. the character making a decision in story because of the author's reasons, but I know it's more complicated than that.) Out of story, it's to preserve Cat's motherly integrity, ignoring the fact that what makes a noble-born mother interesting in Westeros is what she does to ensure the power of her children and her house (her husbands and her family's), even at the expense of others. 

Lol, I didn't remember it (I binge-watched S1), but seriously, it's so stupid. hey don't shy away from incest, rape and murders, but censored a harsh line by a stepmom, lol.

And let's add that while she misjudged Jon's character, she was right in her fears in a way: others do see him as the spare heir to WF, Stannis and Robb himself included and have already tried to replace her children with him. Also, it's funny how the wives/mothers' ambitions are seen negatively (by the fandom) why the men get the free pass to get their way by, say, fighting and killing, because hey, medieval times.

2 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I mean, even Tommen is more intelligent than Jaime now, and he didn't have his hand cut.

I didn't think I'd say it, but maybe he takes after Cersei. And I didn't think I'd say that either, but maybe it's a good thing :D

38 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

"Where do whores go" repeatedly.

Well, not that you have an actuall critisism, surprise, surprise. But I would say that It was an effective means of showing Tyrions dissent into dispair and his obsession with Tysha. 

And shores, shores go along the coastline of a body of water. 

12 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

You're not really defending that. Just no.

Defending Taco Bell? Yep. I am.

But regarding your arbitrary perception of empowerment, I ask you, what women are "empowered" in the books in your mind since every single woman on the show from the Meereneese whores to Fat Walda is apparently empowered to you.

3 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

Well, not that you have an actuall critisism, surprise, surprise. But I would say that It was an effective means of showing Tyrions dissent into dispair and his obsession with Tysha. 

And shores, shores go along the coastline of a body of water. 

Are we going to rant and rave about typos?

9 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

Are we going to rant and rave about typos?

I thought it was fair game with you, just because you edited your post yeterday, doesn't mean I didn't see it. 

Archived