"Fair Game: The critical universe around Game of Thrones".

JonCon's Red Beard

5 minutes ago, Facebookless Man said:

It's meaningless garbage because that is what it is.

No amount of shouting that Dan Brown is a great writer, Lady Gaga a great musician, Paulo Coelho a philosopher, and Mc Donald's fine cuisine, would make it so. 

Opinions may be like assholes, but not all assholes smell the same. Such is life.

Great job arguing with a tautology.  Ironically, the is exactly the same as saying nothing is nothing.

Just to butt in here a sec, with some new info that may or not be relevant to this  thread.

Apparently the titles for the last three episodes of season 6 have been leaked on reddit, via a German TV website with programming schedules or something, they linked to the site with the titles in German.

Apparently the title for the Season 6 finale is "The Winds of Winter." Now this isn't real until HBO confirms it, but for the sake of discussion, let's play devil's advocate and assume this is legit. 

I find this a little odd, not b/c of the plot b/c that's what's going to be happening (the Wall probably coming down and Winter entering Westeros for real), but because in the entertainment world there's always such hullabaloo over other people violating copyright or being perceived to be encroaching on IP rights. This has been an issue with GOT, for example the Others not being called the Others; instead they are called the White Walkers on the show, seemingly to avoid possible trouble with the creators of Lost. Yet here come Dave and Dan, apparently feeling there's nothing wrong with using George's title for Book 6 of ASOIAF, which has been public knowledge for years...but is it in the public domain though? They think they can do this b/c they have already aired content from a certified WOW chapter (Mercy, in what is likely to be the only direct WOW-adapted  scene on the show) and went out of their way to name-drop the words "the winds of winter" in it. (I also find it a little odd that the media didn't pick up on this, the TV show showing a scene in altered but still recognizeable form from Book 6 is big news IMO, granted we were all weeping over poor Hodor but this still should have been a big footnote in all the reviews, the universe in general should know this by now) .

Aside from the why D/D decided to do this (oh boy, would I love to, considering how when D/D said that those scenes were  "a great opportuntity for meta-commentary" , haha, they weren't kidding, oh on SO many levels) I'm wondering HOW they can do it? I don't know any of this stuff, first of all does GRRM hold IP copyright to that title, and if he does....but if he doesn't? Who holds the real copyright, does GRRM "lose" it now that D/D have beaten him to it with use of it as an episode title?

Again, this is assuming the leak is true, but it may not be. but this is just for fun.

11 hours ago, Darkstream said:

I'm sorry, but that absolutely is inferring that your audience is dumb, if people can't either remember what she is called, or don't have the ability to connect the dots between Catlyn and Cat, there is going to be a lot of confused people in regards to every aspect of the show.

In the books, its beaten over your head that Cat and Lysa are sisters. Cat's inner monologues are full of references to her sister, the third book has a subplot with Cat wondering what a dying Hoster was talking about, which ended up being related to Lysa. The relationship is far more overt in the book. As is LF and Cat whose "relationship" isn't nearly as pronounced. 

It works better in the books because by the time you get to that scene you can see it coming a mile away. There really isn't much of an issue with the show changing it so that it's framed in a way that is more referential to the history. 

6 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Great job arguing with a tautology.  Ironically, the is exactly the same as saying nothing is nothing.

I'm not arguing. 

And nope, no it's not. It's not trying to be a profound statement with deep underlying meaning, and failing miserably. It's a simple affirmation of fact.

5 minutes ago, Facebookless Man said:

I'm not arguing. 

And nope, no it's not. It's not trying to be a profound statement with deep underlying meaning, and failing miserably. It's a simple affirmation of fact.

To bad it's not a fact. 

4 minutes ago, Facebookless Man said:

I'm not arguing. 

Clearly.

4 minutes ago, Facebookless Man said:

Of course, silly me.  Anything that is pointing out the realities of the world, or "simple affirmation of fact," is meaningless garbage.  Like Meribald's speech.

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

To bad it's not a fact. 

I'm sure you have no problem observing that little Timmy isn't the brightest bulb, Kim Kardashian isn't the most educated person, and 50 shades of Grey isn't the best written book. I'm sure you don't feel the least bit pretentious for it either.

Like most people, you seem to believe the buck stops at your door. It is, quite simply, not so.

6 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Clearly.

Of course, silly me.  Anything that is pointing out the realities of the world, or "simple affirmation of fact," is meaningless garbage.  Like Meribald's speech.

"Simple affirmation of fact" does not refer to D&D's meaningless garbage in that sentence.

Grammar is hard, I know. 

2 minutes ago, Facebookless Man said:

"Simple affirmation of fact" does not refer to D&D's meaningless garbage in that sentence.

Grammar is hard, I know. 

Sorry, I misread your reply as actually trying to contribute something instead of just being incredibly and undeservedly arrogant.

8 minutes ago, Facebookless Man said:

I'm sure you have no problem observing that little Timmy isn't the brightest bulb, Kim Kardashian isn't the most educated person, and 50 shades of Grey isn't the best written book. I'm sure you don't feel the least bit pretentious for it either.

Like most people, you seem to believe the buck stops at your door. It is, quite simply, not so.

No I don't. For almost anything that is considered good or great, there is at the very least a general consensus for it. You are arguing something where your opinion goes against the general consensus. There are bands I don't like, but I wouldn't dispute that they are great, just not for me. 

7 minutes ago, lancerman said:

No I don't. For almost anything that is considered good or great, there is at the very least a general consensus for it. You are arguing something where your opinion goes against the general consensus. There are bands I don't like, but I wouldn't dispute that they are great, just not for me. 

Sorry but that's just wrong. If the "general consensus" you speak of took everyone and anyone's opinion into equal consideration, Stephenie Meyer would be considered one of the greatest writers of the 21st century.

The general consensus of those who gape in awe at their TV screens and those who are in the business of writing elogious reviews for Sex and the City and 2 and a half Men has no value to me.

Your mileage may vary, and the value of your mileage is about par for the course.

6 minutes ago, Facebookless Man said:

Sorry but that's just wrong. If the "general consensus" you speak of took everyone and anyone's opinion into equal consideration, Stephenie Meyer would be considered one of the greatest writers of the 21st century.

The general consensus of those who gape in awe at their TV screens and those who are in the business of writing elogious reviews for Sex and the City and 2 and a half Men has no value to me.

Your mileage may vary, and the value of your mileage is about par for the course.

Blatantly false. Stephanie Meyer has received a good deal of critical push back, GOT hasn't. Stephanie Meyer's books have a more significant portion of the general public that dislike them than GOT. The consensus on her is much more mixed. 

Now we are just playing a game of ignoring consensus and you attempting to weigh the opinions that affirm your opinion higher than the ones that don't. 

3 minutes ago, dsug said:

unless I see some type of involvement by D&D&C or some producers or cast mates, this will be anything but but "fair."  

Nonsense!

A balanced piece would include both sides of debate from an unbiased perspective. Anyone involved in the show would represent a biased perspective.

6 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Nonsense!

A balanced piece would include both sides of debate from an unbiased perspective. Anyone involved in the show would represent a biased perspective.

From the trailer alone you can see just how biased this is. 

It opens with a quote making fun of David Benioff, then goes on to show a montage of clips of people who have nothing to do with show (some like Elio Garcia who have entire YouTube channels devoted to talking about how much they hate the show) talking about how the show is just a media circus, GRRM doesn't like it, and the audience is made up of "irrational fanboys." 

That is literally the definition of bias. If this was a "fair commentary", we'd have GRRM comment, we'd have Benioff or Weiss or Cogman or even Bernie Caulfield comment, AND the self proclaimed "ASOIAF Purists" comment. 

26 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Nonsense!

A balanced debate would also include the only people that can speak from a factual perspective on the creative process of the show. This really just comes off as a small group of fans who are upset that their opinions aren't represented by the greater critics community.

4 hours ago, Morna The Maid said:

Just to butt in here a sec, with some new info that may or not be relevant to this  thread.

Hide contents

Apparently the titles for the last three episodes of season 6 have been leaked on reddit, via a German TV website with programming schedules or something, they linked to the site with the titles in German.

Apparently the title for the Season 6 finale is "The Winds of Winter." Now this isn't real until HBO confirms it, but for the sake of discussion, let's play devil's advocate and assume this is legit. 

I find this a little odd, not b/c of the plot b/c that's what's going to be happening (the Wall probably coming down and Winter entering Westeros for real), but because in the entertainment world there's always such hullabaloo over other people violating copyright or being perceived to be encroaching on IP rights. This has been an issue with GOT, for example the Others not being called the Others; instead they are called the White Walkers on the show, seemingly to avoid possible trouble with the creators of Lost. Yet here come Dave and Dan, apparently feeling there's nothing wrong with using George's title for Book 6 of ASOIAF, which has been public knowledge for years...but is it in the public domain though? They think they can do this b/c they have already aired content from a certified WOW chapter (Mercy, in what is likely to be the only direct WOW-adapted  scene on the show) and went out of their way to name-drop the words "the winds of winter" in it. (I also find it a little odd that the media didn't pick up on this, the TV show showing a scene in altered but still recognizeable form from Book 6 is big news IMO, granted we were all weeping over poor Hodor but this still should have been a big footnote in all the reviews, the universe in general should know this by now) .

Aside from the why D/D decided to do this (oh boy, would I love to, considering how when D/D said that those scenes were  "a great opportuntity for meta-commentary" , haha, they weren't kidding, oh on SO many levels) I'm wondering HOW they can do it? I don't know any of this stuff, first of all does GRRM hold IP copyright to that title, and if he does....but if he doesn't? Who holds the real copyright, does GRRM "lose" it now that D/D have beaten him to it with use of it as an episode title?

Again, this is assuming the leak is true, but it may not be. but this is just for fun.

Spoiler

HBO owns the television rights to the books, including the unpublished ones.  Not an issue.

Archived