Will Melisandre be killed this Episode?

Ian of Asshai

We've seen from the season previews, images of Davos standing over the pyre where Shireen was presumably killed. That they are now traveling south to recruit Northern Lords makes it a little more plausible that he'd discover this pyre. We've seen him question Mel both last season and this season on the fate of Shireen. Now with the preview of next Sunday's episode a particular scene stood out to me. It's a wide shot of Jon having a meeting with the Wildlings, gathered in a large circle. Jon is flanked by both Davos and Sansa....but no Mel. Nor does she seem to be with them at the meeting on Bear Island. In fact we don't see much of her at all in any of the seasons previews related to any of the Northern Scenes post Jon/Sansa/Davos's exodus from Castle Black, but we know she left with them. Will Davos kill her? Have Jon send her away? Would he be willing to execute her after he kind of owe's her (maybe) his life? Or is she just brooding in the background, overwatching everything as she was during the Thorne, Olly and Company execution. Was the end of Episode 1, a display of her actual frailty and vulnerability, a foreshadowing of her imminent death? With Jon alive...it doesn't really seem clear what her purpose is any more. Jon looses a Red Priestess? Dany, (or at least Tyrion and Varys) gain one.

I'd like to think that Mel's death will be a little more meaningful than Davos reading from the ashes of a pyre that this is where she burned her and randomly strangling her right there. Like, why? Shouldn't Davos kill Brienne too, then? Why would they bother with the old Mel thing and all that stuff, they could kill her right away, for example making her sacrifice herself in exchange of Jon's life. So my answer is - everything's possible but I don't think that she will die this episode.

Its an interesting question as to what Davos will do once he discovers that Mel burnt Shireen. Largely the fallout from Stannis' defeat has been delayed as Davos become a plot device for team Jon Snow. However once he finds where she was burnt you can imagine it will all come to the surface. Interestingly, Davos was quick to label Renlys assassination as in the past when confronted by Brienne, I wonder if he  would be so quick to apply the same logic to the burning of Shireen.

As for Mel dying this episode, I doubt it,lets not forget she has seen herself on the battlements of Winterfell and flayed man banners been lowered, albeit in very different circumstances than she originally envisaged.

melisandre will never tell the truth about shireen to davos, he will find that by him self, in the preview, Davos, Jon and Sansa are in bear island, so no, when they will reach Winterfel (episode 9 or 10) davos will know about shireen and we will see if he will kill Melisandre

Davos wont kill Mel. He's intelligent enough to know that this has already happened anyway... Otherwise do you not think that it would have come up already by now? "By the way, do you happen to know where Shireen is?" And yes it is Stannis who is responsible for his daughters' death ultimately.

50 minutes ago, Fiery Heart said:

Davos wont kill Mel. He's intelligent enough to know that this has already happened anyway... Otherwise do you not think that it would have come up already by now? "By the way, do you happen to know where Shireen is?" And yes it is Stannis who is responsible for his daughters' death ultimately.

I think Davos will face a dilemma in putting the responsability of shireen's death on : Stannis or Melisandre

Whoever Davos decides to blame Shireen's death on, Mel will not die this episode imo. I don't even think she will die this season. Of course you can never know. The death count of the season is still quite low for my liking, so I will not weep if they do get rid of her one way or the other. 

5 minutes ago, RhaeBee said:

Whoever Davos decides to blame Shireen's death on, Mel will not die this episode imo. I don't even think she will die this season. Of course you can never know. The death count of the season is still quite low for my liking, so I will not weep if they do get rid of her one way or the other. 

I can't see much of a point in keeping her around. She's basically done what she existed to do: resurrect Jon Snow. She is kind of a pointless character as it stands, though the writers could find something else for her to do. That said, she was in the "war council" scene two weeks back and didn't even have a line.

I think she's dying soon. Maybe not this week, but soon.

Don't forget one key thing. Arya and Mel are supposed to meet again, she told Arya in I believe season 3 that they would meet again when Mel took Gendry for the leeches. It would be odd for them to specifically state that in the show and then not have it happen.

Also, Davos is not the killing type. I could see heartache and a speech but not much else.

24 minutes ago, Pile-O-Starks said:

I can't see much of a point in keeping her around. She's basically done what she existed to do: resurrect Jon Snow. She is kind of a pointless character as it stands, though the writers could find something else for her to do. That said, she was in the "war council" scene two weeks back and didn't even have a line.

There are a whole lot of characters  who hang around without lines or purpose... (Kevan, Qyburn, Mace Tyrell, Loras, Sandsnakes...?) that's why I can't wait to see them die. I really want them to finally start wrapping up the story so we find out how it ends. 

1 minute ago, RhaeBee said:

There are a whole lot of characters  who hang around without lines or purpose... (Kevan, Qyburn, Mace Tyrell, Loras, Sandsnakes...?) that's why I can't wait to see them die. I really want them to finally start wrapping up the story so we find out how it ends. 

My thoughts on the purposes and longevity of those you mentioned:

Kevan - No purpose. probably dying soon

Qyburn - Frankenmountain's handler; presumed new master of whispers. Will live about as long as Cersei does.

Mace - Comic relief. Long live Mace.

Loras - motivation for Margarey. Will probably live about as long as Margarey.

Sandsnakes - I assume they're going to do something else, but I really don't know what. I really wish the show had just pretended Dorne never existed. It's also super boring and pretty pointless (so far) in the books. I guess I predict they'll either kill Cersei or Tommen. Or maybe the writers will just pretend the whole Dorne thing never happened, which wouldn't be the worst thing at this point.

23 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Don't forget one key thing. Arya and Mel are supposed to meet again, she told Arya in I believe season 3 that they would meet again when Mel took Gendry for the leeches. It would be odd for them to specifically state that in the show and then not have it happen.

Also, Davos is not the killing type. I could see heartache and a speech but not much else.

I fully agree with this. I'm hoping Arya is currently making her way back to Westeros. 

I'm not sure I agree that she'll be killed just because she now seems pointless. I think D&D are too smart to keep her around to resurrect Jon then just kind of let her go by the wayside. It's a lame arc. She's got more to do before her demise, but it's coming. 

59 minutes ago, Pile-O-Starks said:

I agree with you, she did the bad thing by burning shireen and the good thing by bringing Jon back from the dead but her story has ended, so D&D will soon kill her, I think it will Brienne or Davos 

Edit : I forgot Jon and the prophecy of the prince that was promised, no she will stay alive ^_^

14 minutes ago, Pile-O-Starks said:

My thoughts on the purposes and longevity of those you mentioned:

Kevan - No purpose. probably dying soon

Qyburn - Frankenmountain's handler; presumed new master of whispers. Will live about as long as Cersei does.

Mace - Comic relief. Long live Mace.

Loras - motivation for Margarey. Will probably live about as long as Margarey.

Sandsnakes - I assume they're going to do something else, but I really don't know what. I really wish the show had just pretended Dorne never existed. It's also super boring and pretty pointless (so far) in the books. I guess I predict they'll either kill Cersei or Tommen. Or maybe the writers will just pretend the whole Dorne thing never happened, which wouldn't be the worst thing at this point.

I don't really see Qyburn's relevance to FrankenGregor now that he was done creating him.  But hey, maybe he needs maintenance. As for master of whispers, Qyburn sucks big time. Varys would have known that the High Sparrow made a deal with Tommen before Jaime and the Tyrell army marched up to the sept. 

Mace is mostly pathetic and a waste of screentime, but that's just my opinion. 

A motivation for Margaery...? Hmm, I think getting herself out of jail is motivation enough for Margaery, she is loves Loras, no doubt there, but about every character in got does their thing for themselves and their survival. They don't need selfless sisterly love to motivate them. In fact, in my opinion, Loras's death would be motivation. To finally kill the bloody sparrow. 

The only point of House Martell is their alliance to House Targaryen. The only reason I would have kept them for the show is their support of Daenerys when she lands in Westeros. Since there was no mention of such intention on the show, I don't see their deal... The idiotic scheming was a waste to take to the screen. It should never have made the cut in the books either. In fact, half the plots should have been edited out in the books... That would still be thousands of pages of story. :leaving: (never thought I would be brave enough to say that out loud on this board) 

2 hours ago, Fiery Heart said:

I think Davos thinks, hopes really, that Shireen and Selise were murdered by Boltons or died in the snow or killed themself to prevent their capture by sadistic Ramsey. I don't think he truly knows, or allows himself to think about, that Stannis would allow Mel to burn his only child. Otherwise, he wouldn't  bear to talk to Mel at all.

15 hours ago, Ian of Asshai said:

Now with the preview of next Sunday's episode a particular scene stood out to me. It's a wide shot of Jon having a meeting with the Wildlings, gathered in a large circle. Jon is flanked by both Davos and Sansa....but no Mel. Nor does she seem to be with them at the meeting on Bear Island. In fact we don't see much of her at all in any of the seasons previews related to any of the Northern Scenes post Jon/Sansa/Davos's exodus from Castle Black, but we know she left with them. Will Davos kill her? Have Jon send her away?  

I think Jon would keep her away from Wildlings and Northern lords. Wildlings because they remember it was her who burned Mance and Northern lords because it would just freak them out and show both Jon and Sansa as alien, not-northern.

I don't think Melisandre dies at all this season, I'm not sure Davos would blame her whole heartily anyway, she would never had done it without Stannis' blessing. I think they will discuss it when he discovers the pyre, but he knows that she will be needed when the Long Night finally arrives.

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

Yes that's right, I agree. I cant remember if this is in the books or not ? This makes me very curious as to the circumstances around their next meeting.

1 hour ago, princess_snow said:

Yes that's right, I agree. I cant remember if this is in the books or not ? This makes me very curious as to the circumstances around their next meeting.

Davos, Mel, and Shireen are all at the wall still in the books, so no, this is beyond the book now. 

If there's anything that would make Davos think irrationally, it would be his grief of Shireen's death. 

Also - it wouldn't surprise me if Melisandre died. It would be a convenient way to throw away the whole "revival" ability in the North. 

I can't imagine the show runners would want that revival card floating around in the North, devaluing the drama that comes from many of the coming deaths. 

42 minutes ago, TickTak7 said:

Davos, Mel, and Shireen are all at the wall still in the books, so no, this is beyond the book now. 

If there's anything that would make Davos think irrationally, it would be his grief of Shireen's death. 

Also - it wouldn't surprise me if Melisandre died. It would be a convenient way to throw away the whole "revival" ability in the North. 

I can't imagine the show runners would want that revival card floating around in the North, devaluing the drama that comes from many of the coming deaths. 

Davos is on Skagos looking for Rickon in the books; a ransom to get the Manderly's to support Stannis.

So Shireen likely still gets cooked, but for Jon's life... I just think the show didn't want to tie such a cool character/plot device to him being saved, and a child at that.

Archived