Will Melisandre be killed this Episode?

Ian of Asshai

1 hour ago, BulletTooth_Tony said:

Davos is on Skagos looking for Rickon in the books; a ransom to get the Manderly's to support Stannis.

So Shireen likely still gets cooked, but for Jon's life... I just think the show didn't want to tie such a cool character/plot device to him being saved, and a child at that.

Oh yes, not sure how I forgot about Davos being on Skagos.

My mistake, and thanks for the correction. 

I think you are right regarding book Shireen sacrifice being for Jon. 

I actually think it would have pretty cool to see that on the show too, given how hardcore they can be. 

4 hours ago, princess_snow said:
3 hours ago, TickTak7 said:

Davos, Mel, and Shireen are all at the wall still in the books, so no, this is beyond the book now. 

If there's anything that would make Davos think irrationally, it would be his grief of Shireen's death. 

Also - it wouldn't surprise me if Melisandre died. It would be a convenient way to throw away the whole "revival" ability in the North. 

I can't imagine the show runners would want that revival card floating around in the North, devaluing the drama that comes from many of the coming deaths. 

Yes that's right, I agree. I cant remember if this is in the books or not ? This makes me very curious as to the circumstances around their next meeting.

Yes I know that. I was referring to the comment about Mel telling Arya they will meet again.

One could only hope...  I've certainly had enough of Mel...  Don't get me wrong, Carice is an awesome actress but I've just had enough of the Mel character. She's already led 1 man and his family to death and ruin. Now she wants to do it with Jon.  Dumb bitch. Any wonder that the "HIGH" Priestess thinks the promised one is Dany...?  That's the top of the line Priestess not this local 2 bit wanna be...  Mel's dumb ass would probably end up getting Jon, then Bran, then Jamie, or anybody else she proclaims as the "promised one" killed until Dany lands in KL with 3 dragons and THEN shE'LL get it right...  Enough already...  Dumb nut can't read the flames for shit.  Guess she still hasn't realized that the ONLY time she did something positive was when she said "please"...  Now please go away to KL and ruin the Lannisters.  Tommen is the "promised one". It's in your flames nut job. 

In addition to the Arya foreshadowing, I think that the introduction of the other Red Priestess actually gives the show another reason to keep Mel around for a bit longer.

With Mel proclaiming Jon the Prince that was Promised, and Kinvara doing the same with Dany, there's the potential for some interesting conflict to happen in season 7 and/or 8 (or 7.5 depending on how they decide to label the final bunch of episodes).

Maybe the story isn't going to go in that direction, but it is a possibility that would give Mel's character a purpose beyond being Jon's get of death free card.

10 hours ago, TickTak7 said:

Oh yes, not sure how I forgot about Davos being on Skagos.

My mistake, and thanks for the correction. 

I think you are right regarding book Shireen sacrifice being for Jon. 

I actually think it would have pretty cool to see that on the show too, given how hardcore they can be. 

I agree with that entirely, give him a catch 22 scenario.  It's likely done the way it was to keep one of their stars safe from that controversy, given that Stannis is so rigid and is an easy character to pawn it off on.  But I think this was the plan they had for the TV show all along, when they sowed the seeds of not needing Shireen with making Mel be the one to witness Thoros bringing back Beric with no sacrifices... the book version isn't aware that it isn't necessary, and the only time a death occurred is when Beric gave Catelyn the kiss, and passed it to her.

Davos is not an idiot, he's pragmatic, he knows Melisandre's useful and that Jon's second life belongs to her. He's also not a cold-blooded murderer. I don't think he'd even kill in revenge. The fault of Shireen's death ultimately lies on Stannis' shoulders. Now Davos realising that about Stannis and how wrong he was to follow that man so religiously will be a great narrative device.

6 hours ago, Darksky said:

Davos is not an idiot, he's pragmatic, he knows Melisandre's useful and that Jon's second life belongs to her. He's also not a cold-blooded murderer. I don't think he'd even kill in revenge. The fault of Shireen's death ultimately lies on Stannis' shoulders. Now Davos realising that about Stannis and how wrong he was to follow that man so religiously will be a great narrative device.

Jon's 2nd life doesn't belong to Mel. If it has to belong to anyone it belongs to the red god.  Notice that Mel had to stop with her misleading interpretations and parlor tricks to finally do something positive. It was the "please" that brought Jon back. Her finally showing humility and recognizing she's actually powerless. Maybe they'll put a twist on and the person Arya meets is Kinvara. Who's a High Priestess. Not a run of the mill nut job like Mel. She sure seems to know a lot. So I wouldn't be surprised if she meets Arya she'll probably recall Arya and Mel's convo. If Davos doesn't do the deed himself, I could see either her being on one of the burning Bolton crosses (poetic justice there) or may the Others take her...  Lol. 

On 5/31/2016 at 3:39 PM, dbunting said:

Don't forget one key thing. Arya and Mel are supposed to meet again, she told Arya in I believe season 3 that they would meet again when Mel took Gendry for the leeches. It would be odd for them to specifically state that in the show and then not have it happen.

Also, Davos is not the killing type. I could see heartache and a speech but not much else.

Arya ain't going to be hanging round Braavos very long. And Riverrun is the closest part of Westeros.

Book Braavos is 2000 miles from Riverrun. in the show, Westeros is about the size of the UK and Braavos is Amsterdam. Amsterdam to Bristol by ship and road would be a couple of weeks in the middle ages.

Maybe Mel is the next hit. Along with Frey.

Another possibility is that Ramsay catches her.

I think it's just the simple fact that they are trying to get northern houses to join them. They can't have a woman who preaches a foreign religion with them as they try to convince lords to join them. She'll just stay out of the recruiting and prob be seen later in a couple episodes from now 

Mel won't die until she proven wrong again or has her license to practice R'hllorism revoked for gross incompetence. I mean really how is it she hasn't seen Dany in the flames? How is it Kinvarra hasn't seen Snow?

Isn't is interesting the faith of the seven has had no mystical or supernatural  events in it compared to the other faiths of the world of ice and fire.

14 hours ago, the tower of albion said:

Mel won't die until she proven wrong again or has her license to practice R'hllorism revoked for gross incompetence. I mean really how is it she hasn't seen Dany in the flames? How is it Kinvarra hasn't seen Snow?

Isn't is interesting the faith of the seven has had no mystical or supernatural  events in it compared to the other faiths of the world of ice and fire.

I have been thinking the same thing for a while. There's definitely a certain Irony to the whole "Religious Revolution" happening in King's Landing being focused on the one major religion in Westeros that seems to be totally made up/It's 'gods' have shown no actual miraculous powers whatsoever. At least none that the readers or viewers have been shown. We all know how the Old Gods/Weirwoods work now, We know there is a crapload of magical happenings connected to The Lord of Light/Red Priest beliefs, and we know there is definitely some type of magic involved with The Many Faced God/Faceless men worship, We know Blood Magic actually is a real supernatural thing....but The Seven? They seem to be entirely made up deities. At least so far. The only exceptions I can offer against this are The Drowned God, which seems to be made up too since the only 'miracle' shown is resuscitation from drowning which is hardly magical....though I guess you COULD make a sketchy case about it since nobody performed CPR or pumped their chests or anything to bring them back....still pretty weak. And also whatever the Dothraki believe about the Night Lands(granted that would be hard to prove/show anyway). Just....Interesting...

9 hours ago, DirewolfDave said:

I have been thinking the same thing for a while. There's definitely a certain Irony to the whole "Religious Revolution" happening in King's Landing being focused on the one major religion in Westeros that seems to be totally made up/It's 'gods' have shown no actual miraculous powers whatsoever. At least none that the readers or viewers have been shown. We all know how the Old Gods/Weirwoods work now, We know there is a crapload of magical happenings connected to The Lord of Light/Red Priest beliefs, and we know there is definitely some type of magic involved with The Many Faced God/Faceless men worship, We know Blood Magic actually is a real supernatural thing....but The Seven? They seem to be entirely made up deities. At least so far. The only exceptions I can offer against this are The Drowned God, which seems to be made up too since the only 'miracle' shown is resuscitation from drowning which is hardly magical....though I guess you COULD make a sketchy case about it since nobody performed CPR or pumped their chests or anything to bring them back....still pretty weak. And also whatever the Dothraki believe about the Night Lands(granted that would be hard to prove/show anyway). Just....Interesting...

GRRM has never really forgiven the Catholic church it seems.

i dont think he will ever kill mel considering 1. he is not killing type as stated above 2. he was against her stuff up until jon died and only then he went to her to seek help for jon and encouraged her about it which makes me think he finally grew respect for her 3. stannis was the person responsible for shireen's death since mel didnt put a gun on his head and forced him to burn her, he had a choice to say no but his greed overcame his love for his daughter

also, i dont think mel's purpose for the show just ended yet now that jon is back, at most i dont think she will die before arya is back there and also that new red priest woman in mereen somehow meets her

Humm...it's an interesting thought....

I don't think Mel will die before the Boltons are dealt with. After that...who can say?

The foreshadowing with Arya is pretty clear, as are her visions of herself walking the battlements of Winterfell. So, I'm guessing she be around for at least long enough to see those come to pass.

But I could also see her making some speech about wanting to burn down the God's Wood and the Heart Tree as soon as Winterfell is won, and Jon putting Longclaw through her heart. With DnD at the helm, maybe she ends up being Nissa Nissa, lol.

On 31/5/2016 at 7:20 PM, jonny__bravo said:

Its an interesting question as to what Davos will do once he discovers that Mel burnt Shireen. Largely the fallout from Stannis' defeat has been delayed as Davos become a plot device for team Jon Snow. However once he finds where she was burnt you can imagine it will all come to the surface. Interestingly, Davos was quick to label Renlys assassination as in the past when confronted by Brienne, I wonder if he  would be so quick to apply the same logic to the burning of Shireen.

As for Mel dying this episode, I doubt it,lets not forget she has seen herself on the battlements of Winterfell and flayed man banners been lowered, albeit in very different circumstances than she originally envisaged.

And she told Arya they will meet again.

Archived