[Spoilers] Criticize Without Repercussion - one last time ;o)

1 minute ago, Apathetic Onlooker said:

Sure why not.  They've already tore away all the humanity and love that made the Starks so easy to sympathize and root for.  Why not make the patriarch turn out to be a total jerk.  I'll just bet he cut them all up and served them as pie while we're at it.  

maybe one of those women was LF sister and it turns out he was the hero all along and Ned was the bully who stole Cat. 

"after all this years?" 

"Always" 

tears roll. 

2 minutes ago, SerMixalot said:

I would imagine by any logic the Citadel makes people Grand Maesters but in GoT anything is possible

I'm pretty sure they do but maybe Cersei blows the Citadel up too :dunno: And after how they showed us how worried they are about keeping up with the kingdom, the might not even need to know who is GM, they are just bureaucrats anyway. 

I don't know, I think there has to be a reason Pycell was killed and Qyburn crowned Cersei.  

47 minutes ago, Daenerys_Is_Coming said:

Fabulous post and I agree with so much of what you said, but why the hate on Davos? Just genuinely curious. I agree that he pissed me off when Melisandre originally returned to the wall and he asked "Where Is Shireen?" and she was all like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and then Davos is all like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So yeah, that and his new unexplained bromance with Jon Snow really bothered me this season...but how is he a hypocrite/self-righteous bastard?

Because he says he loves Shireen, she was sweet and awesome and taught him to read.

He left her in Stannis' camp despite having suspicions something bad was going to happen to her.  Remember he saved Gendry when he thought something bad was going to happen to him

He went literally MONTHS without even trying to find out what happened to her. 

Suddenly he cares about Shireen? UMMMM NO

42 minutes ago, Kingly said:

I still firmly believe people are being distracted by two things:

1) The quality of season 1 in particular, and generally up until season 4 before the declining quality was noticeable.

2) The excellent work behind the scenes. Until today for the most part I believe the costumes, sets, score, (some) directing, (some) acting, (some) CGI, and generally the production value is still very good quality for a TV show, rivaling many big budget movies. 

Without these two elements GoT would undoubtedly be relegated to the long list of shlocky fantasy tv series and B-movies. that the GoT writing is currently on par with.

I agree

3 minutes ago, Hound's She-Wolf 2 said:

Bran might not be inhumane, but he hasn't had any reaction to Summer or Hodor being killed either. So many but inhumane but heartless?

Perhaps. 3ER has definitely changed his outlook on things, maybe he's leaning toward more of a "everyone dies eventually, no use crying over what's going to happen anyway" attitude.

5 hours ago, Hound's She-Wolf 2 said:

Why didn't the Wyldfire continue to burn the city? Shouldn't it have continued to burn a wide swath of destruction until it reached the sea? And then burn on the water? I expected more to burn. Exploding the Sept was nice and all...but I wanted more burning.

This was my first thought

Just now, Lyin' Ned said:

Me too. I thought the explosion was gonna cause a chain reaction and ignite the wildfire cache under the Red Keep. 

Oh well, I guess it was a controlled fire like when Cersei had the Tower of the Hand burned down. 

I expected much more to ignite as well.  

But another question... even if no more wildfire was ignited, the initial explosion would have caused an insane amount of "normal" fire.  I'm not sure how the fire services are in King's Landing, but wouldn't just the "normal" fire start to spread from building to building, engulfing huge sections of the city like a match dropped in a haystack?  I doubt once the fire started they would have any way possible to stop it.  It seems to me like King's Landing as a whole would have burned to the ground within a day or so.

1 hour ago, Kingly said:

The problem with this show and its success - and the reason why people 'like us' are relegated to one thread on one forum - comes down to one thing: Culture

I'm not trying to be snobbish, but I think that is the underlying factor relating to the (financial and critical) success of GoT. There is a reason why this show - along with movies such as the Transformers and most super hero movies - still has such a huge following and makes a ton of money. People aren't willing to see deep, well thought out media with strong realistic characters and a straight forward (read; non-convoluted) yet intricate plot (boring!). They would prefer to take the familiar route which is why popularity breeds popularity; it is 100% style over substance.

On one hand, audiences are simply not critical of the media they consume, whether it be film or television. They - for the most part - just like to take in the spectacle: Cool and "badass" characters, womenontop™, mind numbing action, stiff one liners meant to sound awesome, etc. For the most part, they don't think critically regarding character consistency, internal logic and dialogue, let alone technical aspects such as sound composition, shot framing, editing, etc. As long as cool stuff happens and the characters they root for do awesome stuff and the characters they hate do villainous things, they will shove popcorn into their mouths and enjoy the ride.

On the other hand, the mainstream media is a huge culprit, as they have literally become ass-kissers and just suck up to the newest fad. Everywhere you see articles written about the show, the level of (non)analysis is only worthy of cringe. TV isn't any better, as interviews on places such as talk shows all focus on how cool and awesome a certain character/scene is and are basically glorified advertisements. It has been like this forever and goes back to what the audience wants: a re-confirmation of how awesome what they just saw, was.

If this isn't the dumbing down of culture I don't know what is...

I agree. I think having a show with such a large fanbase become so dumbed down is a great disservice to the general public. As a small kid I would have found GOT much more entertaining than a more nuanced show because I only wanted to see spectacular images and I cared nothing for good story telling. But that's when I was a small boy, seeing the mass appeal the show among the adult population in spite of how dumb its become is really troubling, it suggests troubling things about much of the population .

3 minutes ago, RhaeBee said:

Why can Arya foot chase and fight and run after being stabbed while Lancel can't even stagger or crawl 30 meters to blow out a candle in time? 

Dem Stark genes. Oh, and Tully genes that allowed her to swim like a fish. 

2 minutes ago, Mista C said:

I expected much more to ignite as well.  

But another question... even if no more wildfire was ignited, the initial explosion would have caused an insane amount of "normal" fire.  I'm not sure how the fire services are in King's Landing, but wouldn't just the "normal" fire start to spread from building to building, engulfing huge sections of the city like a match dropped in a haystack?  I doubt once the fire started they would have any way possible to stop it.  It seems to me like King's Landing as a whole would have burned to the ground within a day or so.

Yeah, should've been more chaotic. Maybe Qyburn knew how to arrange a controlled explosion? It was an inside job ;)

29 minutes ago, RhaeBee said:

Why can Arya foot chase and fight and run after being stabbed while Lancel can't even stagger or crawl 30 meters to blow out a candle in time? 

Well he was stabbed once in the back.  Completely different than being stabbed multiple times in the stomach. Having your stomach and intestines destroyed only requires some tea and bed rest.  Punctured kidney.  You lose all bodily function.

Or really really bad writing.  The jury is out on this one.

3 minutes ago, Steelegrave said:

Well he was stabbed once in the back.  Completely different than being stabbed multiple times in the stomach. Having your stomach and intestines destroyed only requires some tea and bed rest.  Punctured kidney.  You lose all bodily function.

Or really really bad writing.  The jury is out on this one.

OR Arya is not actually Ned Stark's daughter, she is Chuck Norris's bastard. 

Archived