Aejon Targaryen???

It makes more sense to name Jon Aegon than Aemon as Aegon was one of the conquerors. Actually the best name for him would have been Viserys as Rhaegar already had Rhaenys and Aegon. The third conqueror was Visenya so when Jon turns out to be a boy he is named Viserys. But i doubt that Lyanna whispered Viserys.

Just now, Cragen said:

He didn`t dare to choose Daemon his heir because people wouldn`t accept it? Do we talk about Daemon whom half of the realm fallowed in rebelion against king?

Half kingdom joined rebellion, true, but the other half refused to accept him as king.

Aegon IV did not dare or manage to do it because half kingdom were against him.

1 minute ago, purple-eyes said:

Half kingdom joined rebellion, true, but the other half refused to accept him as king.

Aegon IV did not dare or manage to do it because half kingdom were against him.

Because he was not been king, he was rebel. If Aegon proclaimed him his heir then he would be king and we would have different story.

13 minutes ago, purple-eyes said:

By this logic why bother to get a king's decree?

He can just name Ramsey the future lord of his house by himself.

Because it`s no more just Dreadfort to inherit, it`s hole North and Ramsey need Crown support to get legitimacy to rule North.

If you think about it, Aejon is not that bad, and we are talking about GoT, why should Aegon (Egg) not be tacky and Aejon would be? I believe there are potentially worse like Jonaerys Targaryen (Jaeherys, Daenerys etc.).  What if though, because he could not get the "Stark" as a last name (double-barreled), if she named him Jonstark Targaryen.

4 hours ago, purple-eyes said:

IMHO, Aejon sounds.....how to say....just wrong.

It is a fanfiction name. We know GRRM did not like fanfic.

I have several options:

Most reasonable one: Aemon

Most surprising one: Arthur

Most funny one: Alien or Apple or Ipad?

I considered Buttercup.  As in Prince Buttercup. (This would be consistent with Lyanna's own interest in flowers.)

Or maybe Lyanna decided he should be a boy named Sue.

(In either case, I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall when he tells Tormund his real name.)

2 hours ago, The Dew said:

If you think about it, Aejon is not that bad, and we are talking about GoT, why should Aegon (Egg) not be tacky and Aejon would be? I believe there are potentially worse like Jonaerys Targaryen (Jaeherys, Daenerys etc.).  What if though, because he could not get the "Stark" as a last name (double-barreled), if she named him Jonstark Targaryen.

Interesting comments, and thanks for the stuff about Aejon.

2 hours ago, The Dew said:

If you think about it, Aejon is not that bad, and we are talking about GoT, why should Aegon (Egg) not be tacky and Aejon would be?

Because Aemon and Aegon are real historical names with known origins and coherent morphologies.  “Aejon” is neither: there never was such a name, and there could not have been, either, because there was no such letter as J.

5 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Because Aemon and Aegon are real historical names with known origins and coherent morphologies.  “Aejon” is neither: there never was such a name, and there could not have been, either, because there was no such letter as J.

Good conversation, and I respect your opinions and contributions, but:

(1)  I assume when you say "Aemon and Aegon are real historical names," you mean in the world of ASOIAF, right?  If not, I would be interested to know of an Aemon or Aegon in what we call "the real world."

(2)  Even if there HAS been an Aegon or Aemon in what we call "the real world," I have no idea why that would limit Rhaegar's and/or Lyanna's naming of Aejon,

(3)  When you say (or imply) there has not been an Aejon (whether in ASOIAF, and/or "the real world"), you mean "as far as we know," right?  What are the odds that GRRM has told us every Targaryen name there has ever been?

(4)  Let's say he was named Aejon, and that he is the only Aejon that has ever existed in Targaryen history.  Would that make him the only Targaryen we know of who is the ONLY person we know of with a particular name?  I doubt it, but I haven't looked at the family tree chart.  Some people like to break new ground when naming children, it does happen sometimes.  Maybe Rhaegar said "This kid is so special, I'm going to emphasize his uniqueness by starting a new line of names."

(5)  "[T]here was no such letter as J"?  Maybe I'm unclear by what you mean by this.  Do you mean in Targaryen history?  If so, what about the "J" in Jaehaerys?

16 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Let us assume that I am convinced about the origin, namely that if a First Royal Name did not appear in the past, then it cannot be used in the future for reasons. Why a name should have known origins? Are there any specific linguistic rules regarding royal targaryen naming conventions that we should be specifically aware of before replying to this question? Please do discuss about the coherent morphologies, as we can all benefit from the same.

To date, I have not been able to find any particular link with respect to the first names of the Targaryens, regarding the Aemon, Aegon, Aerys "Ae + something = description/ability/moniker etc". An opposite example would be the verb "dohaeragon" which means "to serve" in High Valyrian ( dohaeriros = slave, dohaertros = former slave (from dotrhaki.org)).

With respect to the inexistence of the letter "J", could you please elaborate further; it does not exist because late Lady Lyanna did not appear to whisper it to Eddard, is this a subjective observation that you have extracted from the show? If GRRM baptises his/her narrators unreliable, why should there be so much certainty? I imagine D&D are the most infamous unreliable narrators from what we have seen so far. From your observations, which of those are based on facts and only, or is it the voicing of a personal opinion. Allow me please to ask as I am trying to get to the bottom of this regarding Jon's real name, in case Jon is not his real first name.

Does anyone think that no matter what 'official name' Jon was given, he stays as Jon.  I can agree with Aemon and I think Aemon Eddard Targaryen is a decently royal-ish name.  But from what we know of Jon, Ned named him Jon, and I think Jon will keep it.

30 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

Does anyone think that no matter what 'official name' Jon was given, he stays as Jon.  I can agree with Aemon and I think Aemon Eddard Targaryen is a decently royal-ish name.  But from what we know of Jon, Ned named him Jon, and I think Jon will keep it.

He can try to keep "Jon" if he wants, but I'll be calling him Aejon whether he likes it or not.

HARRR!!!!

Also, if he marries Dany, I think she'll be calling him Aejon when she's being stern with him, too.

"Aejon, will you PLEASE take out this garbage?!?!?"

4 hours ago, Cron said:

Good conversation, and I respect your opinions and contributions, but:

(1)  I assume when you say "Aemon and Aegon are real historical names," you mean in the world of ASOIAF, right?  If not, I would be interested to know of an Aemon or Aegon in what we call "the real world."

I’ve already explained this to you, repeatedly. Spellings DO NOT matter, so please do not obsess on them.  Eamon and Egan are historical and current names.

4 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

I’ve already explained this to you, repeatedly. Spellings DO NOT matter, so please do not obsess on them.  Eamon and Egan are historical and current names.

Your posts have been clear and informative. I think it's safe to say at this point that the OP is pretending not to understand you.

Archived