Aejon Targaryen???

I am 100% sure we were not supposed to be able to make out the name. Only Ned was supposed to know. That kinda gives legitimacy to the whispering, she didn't want the servants to hear...? 

And I really hope that Jon has an actual birth name that's not Jon. Because Jon is a horrid lame name for a hero and because Lyanna had literally no reason to name her baby Jon unless she was going for the most unoriginal and unstark and untargaryen name in the world. 

52 minutes ago, gregg22 said:

On GRRM and naming children...

The "Late" Lord Walder Frey had 22 legitimate sons, none named Walder. Yet he has one bastard named Walder.

Is the generally no Juniors in Westeros?

Greatjon and Smalljon? I think the Smalljon is a junior.

Maybe some Aegons (not positive though, I can't recite the relationships between all of them)

But generally, yeah, they do seem to be rare.

“Jon” is a super-duper-trooper common name. Ned pretended his Targaryen nephew’s name was “Jon” so that it wouldn’t be noticed.

If he had called FJon something like Aemon Snow, let alone Aemon Targaryen or Aemon Stark, then Robert would have wised up right off the bat and that would have been the end of the Little Prince.  

He needed a fake name to survive.  FJon could never have fulfilled the prophesy if his real name hadn't been hidden.

6 minutes ago, Jayc said:

The only 2 people in the world that know his name are dead

So, again whats the point.

Other Starks likely know, like Benjen and Bran.

Plus really, FakeJon knew who he truly was. Our author told us so more than once:

I’m Prince Aemon the Dragonknight,” Jon would call out, and Robb would shout back, “Well, I’m Florian the Fool.”

—A Storm of Swords, Jon XII

The gift of a sword, even a sword as fine as Longclaw, did not make him a Mormont. Nor was he Aemon Targaryen. Three times the old man had chosen, and three times he had chosen honor, but that was him. Even now, Jon could not decide whether the maester had stayed because he was weak and craven, or because he was strong and true. Yet he understood what the old man had meant, about the pain of choosing; he understood that all too well.

—A Game of Thrones,  Jon IX

17 minutes ago, Jayc said:

The only 2 people in the world that know his name are dead

So, again whats the point.

We cannot possibly know that the only two people who know or knew his name are dead.

Where's the wet nurse?  

Howland Reed?  Maybe Ned told Howland Reed the minute he walked out of the room.

Maybe it's in a letter down in the crypts of Winterfell, as many have speculated?

How do we know BRAN didn't hear it, even though WE couldn't make it out?

I could actually see them changing the name to Aejon because they already proved with the Asha/Yara thing that they think the viewers too stupid to tell people apart if they have the same name. If Jon was Aegon in the show, people will wonder how he aged backwards from a 100 year old man on the wall and became a baby in Winterfel, probably assuming ultimately that it was some time travel magic worked by bran the tree god.

15 minutes ago, Net-Viper X said:

I could actually see them changing the name to Aejon because they already proved with the Asha/Yara thing that they think the viewers too stupid to tell people apart if they have the same name. If Jon was Aegon in the show, people will wonder how he aged backwards from a 100 year old man on the wall and became a baby in Winterfel, probably assuming ultimately that it was some time travel magic worked by bran the tree god.

Great stuff, but the old maester at the wall was an Aemon, not an Aegon.  Still, your point could be valid, as some people believe Jon's real name is Aemon.

The Asha/Yara thing always baffled me.  The rationale was that people would confuse Asha and Osha, so the "solution" was to re-name Asha "Yara," which is a DIRECT ANAGRAM of (and sounds similar to) a character (Arya) who is FAR more prominent in the series than Osha??????   What???

8 minutes ago, Cron said:

Great stuff, but the old maester at the wall was an Aemon, not an Aegon.  Still, your point could be valid, as some people believe Jon's real name is Aemon.

The Asha/Yara thing always baffled me.  The rationale was that people would confuse Asha and Osha, so the "solution" was to re-name Asha "Yara," which is a DIRECT ANAGRAM of (and sounds similar to) a character (Arya) who is FAR more prominent in the series than Osha??????   What???

Oh your right, it was Aemon's brother that was Aegon.

I am sorry if this insults whomever thought of Aejon, but I personally feel its a horrid ugly name we are talking Albus Severus type here.

But based on my bad lip-reading skills, it did feel that Lyanna said "He name is ..." and a vowel most likely A or E.

4 minutes ago, Masha said:

I am sorry if this insults whomever thought of Aejon, but I personally feel its a horrid ugly name we are talking Albus Severus type here.

But based on my bad lip-reading skills, it did feel that Lyanna said "He name is ..." and a vowel most likely A or E.

You have not insulted me.  I respect different opinions.

I think she either said Aejon or Azor.

Archived