What is the point of Daario?

I'd say for simplicity's sake Daario is a maturity test for Dany.  In both the show and the books he represents fun, freedom, and not caring about consequences.  I think it was relatively well-done on the show to have Dany finally set sale for Westeros at the same time she pushes away Daario and all he represents.  The Dany from a couple seasons ago would not have been willing or ready to give up on Daario and keeping him as her consort.  Now she's finally ready to rule and sacrifice for that rule.  

5 hours ago, Tagganaro said:

I'd say for simplicity's sake Daario is a maturity test for Dany.  In both the show and the books he represents fun, freedom, and not caring about consequences.  I think it was relatively well-done on the show to have Dany finally set sale for Westeros at the same time she pushes away Daario and all he represents.  The Dany from a couple seasons ago would not have been willing or ready to give up on Daario and keeping him as her consort.  Now she's finally ready to rule and sacrifice for that rule.  

That's such an amateurish and simplistic plot point for what is supposedly a sophisticated and complex show though. Maybe I just have too high expectations?

On 28.06.2016 at 9:22 PM, Quyen Thuy Tran said:

I'm still puzzled lol. In the book, she's like "Daario is soooooooo hot" all and all. In the show she cuts it so easily. Will he follows her to Westeros and make a fuss, who knows, maybe he will be one of the betrayals she will know. 

It's simple, he was a tamed fuckboi. Once tamed, he's no longer attractive. It actually makes sense in the show and in the books. In the books, Daario is still a wild beast unchained, "I'm fucking you because you're the most beautiful woman around.", compare this to "Take me with you my queen."

Love is not simply what you desire, but what you can not have. At least for women it seems so. I've never really fallen in love myself, so can not comment about men.

On 6/28/2016 at 7:23 PM, It's ok I'm the Glass Guy said:

Daario will join up with Jorah and they'll rule Meereen in a spinoff sitcom. It'll be like Perfect Strangers.

hahahahahahahahha, you're killing me! Love it!

On 2016-06-28 at 8:23 PM, It's ok I'm the Glass Guy said:

Daario will join up with Jorah and they'll rule Meereen in a spinoff sitcom. It'll be like Perfect Strangers.

Good idea! But that spinoff also needs Tyrion sitting there drinking wine and making smart-ass comments, occasionally coming up with a brilliant idea in the nick of time.

And Varys smacking his tongue disapprovingly at Tyrion, "I do wish you would pick up your coat from the floor. This isn't Castle Black, you know."

"If it was you'd fit right in, eunuch!" (laughter machine)

They'd all be dodging the young representative from the Iron Bank come to collect a debt. They distract the poor man with wine and girls, which makes him blush, but occasionally he musters the courage to go after them and ask for the gold, upon which they have an endless list of excuses. The poor guy will never get his promotion.

In one episode the Dothraki come to town and everyone has to learn how to prepare a Dothraki-style dinner, "Or I'll burn your city down!" In the end the scary Dothraki warlord turns out to be delighted by Westerosi chicken which he eats with childlike enthusiasm, so he won't destroy the city after all. Everyone sighs with relief at the close call.

In another episode the Unsullied go on strike because they heard that other soldiers get paid. Finally, upon learning that they never learned how to use money, the vily Tyrion pays them with shiny coins of the cheapest value. The Unsullied never realize they've been deceived because all they ever do is practice and patrol anyway, they just wanted the money for the sake of it.

9 hours ago, purple-eyes said:

darrio is just a space holder for jon snow. 

dany needs some love life to entertain readers  but she has to be available for jon snow.  

so here you go with darrio. 

If Dany and Jon fall in love, GOT will plummet down my fantasy rankings.

52 minutes ago, Jarl Halstein said:

Good idea! But that spinoff also needs Tyrion sitting there drinking wine and making smart-ass comments, occasionally coming up with a brilliant idea in the nick of time.

And Varys smacking his tongue disapprovingly at Tyrion, "I do wish you would pick up your coat from the floor. This isn't Castle Black, you know."

"If it was you'd fit right in, eunuch!" (laughter machine)

They'd all be dodging the young representative from the Iron Bank come to collect a debt. They distract the poor man with wine and girls, which makes him blush, but occasionally he musters the courage to go after them and ask for the gold, upon which they have an endless list of excuses. The poor guy will never get his promotion.

In one episode the Dothraki come to town and everyone has to learn how to prepare a Dothraki-style dinner, "Or I'll burn your city down!" In the end the scary Dothraki warlord turns out to be delighted by Westerosi chicken which he eats with childlike enthusiasm, so he won't destroy the city after all. Everyone sighs with relief at the close call.

In another episode the Unsullied go on strike because they heard that other soldiers get paid. Finally, upon learning that they never learned how to use money, the vily Tyrion pays them with shiny coins of the cheapest value. The Unsullied never realize they've been deceived because all they ever do is practice and patrol anyway, they just wanted the money for the sake of it.

18 hours ago, mafro987daboss said:

That's such an amateurish and simplistic plot point for what is supposedly a sophisticated and complex show though. Maybe I just have too high expectations?

You do...Everything about this show has become simplified to the extreme over the past few years as the show barrels towards its endgame and doesn't have the complex books to work off of anymore.  This isn't even meant to be a big criticism.  It's simply impossible and ill-advised for the show to maintain the complexity of the books in adaptation, especially when I'm guessing the show-runners intended to have GRRM's books to work off of for the entire run of the show.  

On 6/29/2016 at 5:13 PM, Tagganaro said:

I like this interpretation.  It's adds more depth than the "she's just not that into him"/ "You're more in love with me than I am with you" that the show basically provided.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2016 at 6:25 AM, Cron said:

I remain quite surprised that Dany left Daario and the Second Sons behind, and took Missandei, Grey Worm and the Unsullied with her.

Although I like Grey Worm and Missandei quite a bit as characters, they are MUCH more well suited to stay behind and be administrators of Mereen than Daario, for numerous reasons.

In any event, I'll be shocked even more if we've seen the last of Daario.

I agree with you. Missandei and Grey Worm would serve better in Mereen. But I think we will see Daario again in the future. If his storyline was done he would be just killed during the siege of Mereen or somewhere else.

As much as I never particularly cared for the character of Daario, I think he was axed poorly. It is an axe, too -- I doubt we’ll see him again. Leaving him behind to enforce Dany’s rule in the Bay of Dragons was a convenient (and rather lazy) method of allowing Daenerys to arrive in Westeros with no romantic ties -- freely opening the door for her to make a strong political alliance through marriage. While I absolutely agree that Dany could not (and should not) hold the Iron Throne with a sellsword as her lover, the scene felt somewhat rushed and careless -- as though the showrunners were more like “let’s tie this up as quickly as we can” and less interested in meaningfully concluding a storyline. Dany’s emotional dissonance didn’t sit right with me, and I found Daario a peculiar choice to leave behind. As has been mentioned, Grey Worm and Messandei would have been logical choices to administrate Mereen in her absence.

I could be wrong, though; perhaps giving Daario an “exit” rather than having him killed in battle was an indicator that he will be back at some point. I’d like to see him as one of Dany’s three betrayals -- it’d be interesting if he were to reintroduce slavery and undo all her work.

Spoiler

I’m only on ASoS, but I remember reading somewhere on the forums that there is a character who does just that.

I’d only be happy to see Daario’s character return if he were to fulfil that role.

Edit: I do like the point about Dany sailing towards her future and leaving behind Daario and all he represents -- that is a satisfying juxtaposition!

I think Daario was to remind everyone that Dany is young. I can't recall how old she is while she's with Daario, but I think it's around 16? She was 13 in a GOT. I think his existence humanizes her, IMO. It reminds us that she's a mere mortal with needs.

I don't quite understand his abrupt exit, though. I think they just need to speed up the timeline.

I'd say if he were the same as in the book with all the... Eh... Blue beard... She's right to get rid of him. We all have some crazy period in which we liked something or someone now that we look back and think: "ewwww that's horrible"

I don't rule out the possibility that he will become one of Dany's betrayal. And she will feel regret about this betrayal. 

People meet people, you know. Some people exist in a story simply because they were there. If it was not those people, it would be someone else, because certain positions need people occupating them. He was the leader of the Second Sons. If he was not Daario Naharis, it would be Richard Taylor or Akameni Longfeet or Mark the Beheader or anyone else; and if they were good-looking and interesting, maybe Daenarys would have an affair with any of them, because they´re in a position to estabilish some sort of relationship, and chances are that a young beautiful queen and a young beautiful warrior might feel phisically attracted to each other.

He might come to play another role in the future, but that´s not necessary. Trying to come up with contrived reasons to be for every single character in a story is terrible writing. It´s saying everyone has a reason to exist, which couldn´t be further from the truth.

36 minutes ago, NutBurz said:

People meet people, you know. Some people exist in a story simply because they were there. If it was not those people, it would be someone else, because certain positions need people occupating them. He was the leader of the Second Sons. If he was not Daario Naharis, it would be Richard Taylor or Akameni Longfeet or Mark the Beheader or anyone else; and if they were good-looking and interesting, maybe Daenarys would have an affair with any of them, because they´re in a position to estabilish some sort of relationship, and chances are that a young beautiful queen and a young beautiful warrior might feel phisically attracted to each other.

He might come to play another role in the future, but that´s not necessary. Trying to come up with contrived reasons to be for every single character in a story is terrible writing. It´s saying everyone has a reason to exist, which couldn´t be further from the truth.

I felt a little like this back when there was the theory floating around that Daario was the leader of the Sons of the Harpy. That never made much sense to me, and felt as though people were trying to mould the character of Daario Naharis into someone that didn’t exist as an attempt justify his existence. Sometimes he felt irrelevant, and it’s perfectly possible that, in the end, he was.

12 hours ago, AshesOfWesteros said:

I agree with you. Missandei and Grey Worm would serve better in Mereen. But I think we will see Daario again in the future. If his storyline was done he would be just killed during the siege of Mereen or somewhere else.

I think he's gonna show up in Westeros with the Second Sons.

By the way, does anyone here know why they changed the Daario actor?  I thought the first guy was fine as Daario (the second actor is growing on me, and he's been pretty cool, too, but the first actor seems more like how I pictured Daario.)

On 6/28/2016 at 9:25 PM, Cron said:

I remain quite surprised that Dany left Daario and the Second Sons behind, and took Missandei, Grey Worm and the Unsullied with her.

Although I like Grey Worm and Missandei quite a bit as characters, they are MUCH more well suited to stay behind and be administrators of Mereen than Daario, for numerous reasons.

In any event, I'll be shocked even more if we've seen the last of Daario.

I totally agree with you. If she left grey worm and a few of the unsullied, they would always be loyal to her and her cause. But the second sons? What if they got offered a better deal? Or what if they take over and betray dany? Especially since daario is upset with her.. that was a poor choice. But maybe it will come back to bite her.

Archived