Alton Sterling shooting.

James Arryn

8 minutes ago, sologdin said:

black-owned firearms are psychically controlled and can be aimed irrespective of confinement in pockets.  it's so technologically advanced that it appears to be magical.

To be clear, i am not defending the shooting.  I've been pretty outspoken about how disgusting it was.

13 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

There was a report that he brandished a gun at someone.

this is from your very own link:

Actually, there was a report that someone brandished a gun. It is still unclear whether or not the person described was Alton Sterling. 

And we still don't know whether or not he actually had a gun on him.

34 minutes ago, Dickwad Poster #3784 said:

Actually, there was a report that someone brandished a gun. It is still unclear whether or not the person described was Alton Sterling. 

And we still don't know whether or not he actually had a gun on him.

There is no reason to believe he didn't.

i think it's pointless and counterproductive to go down this road of trying to dispute these types of things, because ultimately, it doesn't matter.

It seems reasonable in the face of other facts and lack of contradictory evidence to assume at this point both things are true and move on.  These are distractions, nothing more.

27 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

There is no reason to believe he didn't.

i think it's pointless and counterproductive to go down this road of trying to dispute these types of things, because ultimately, it doesn't matter.

It seems reasonable in the face of other facts and lack of contradictory evidence to assume at this point both things are true and move on.  These are distractions, nothing more.

There's a fairly reasonable reason to believe he didn't. Namely, no one has stated he did have a gun factually. Point of fact, when the FBI was asked directly they commented that they could not confirm or deny it. That seems like an odd thing given, ya know, guns are physical objects and whatnot. 

It's clear that the police believed him to have a gun. But other than that? 

10 minutes ago, Dickwad Poster #3784 said:

There's a fairly reasonable reason to believe he didn't. Namely, no one has stated he did have a gun factually. Point of fact, when the FBI was asked directly they commented that they could not confirm or deny it. That seems like an odd thing given, ya know, guns are physical objects and whatnot. 

It's clear that the police believed him to have a gun. But other than that? 

Come on man....  This is conspiracy theory 101 stuff.

There's plenty of supporting evidence.  You're feeding into the red herrings here by keeping at this.

I feel like you aren't seeing this because you don't want to.

On July 5, officers responded to a convenience store about 12:35 a.m. after an anonymous caller indicated a man selling music CDs and wearing a red shirt threatened him with a gun

pretty clear it was him the call was about.

Muflahi previously released a video of the shooting that he said he shot from a slightly different angle. He said Sterling was not holding a gun during the shooting, but that he saw officers remove one from his pocket afterward. 

Testimony from the store owner, who by the way is now suing the cops.

Muflahi and several relatives said Sterling, who because of previous felony convictions would have been legally prohibited from owning a weapon, acquired the gun weeks before the shooting after several robberies in the neighborhood around the store where he’d sold CDs to earn a living for several years.

Confirmation from his relatives.

here's his lawyer non denying the presence of the gun:

Justin Bamberg, an attorney representing Sterling’s 15-year-old son and the boy’s mother, said he disputes the police account of the shooting described in the affidavit, especially the claim that the officers could see the handgun poking out of Sterling’s pocket.

“The video speaks for itself — it is extremely evident that the object that was in Mr. Sterling’s pants was deep in his pocket,” Bamberg said. “They had to reach far into his pockets to recover it.”

There's no reason to disbelieve either one of those facts.

12 hours ago, ElizabethB. said:

Pointing out that sparring is different than violence is racist now?

Asking if blm are chanting for dead cops is racist now? 

For the record, Harakiri text has nothing to do with anything I have written on any thread. 

Trying to discredit an anti racist group the way you are toes the line and pretty much crosses it at some point. Even more so when you use that bullshit policelivesmatter and alllivesmatter. Both are used by bigots and the highly ignorant.

The way you have tried to discredit BLM is also very telling. Would you feel better if they were like you and just blindly loved the police and justified every shitty thing they do? 

Couple other things of note here, at least to me...

What would the charge be against the non shooting officer?  I don't really see anything from the video to indicate he did anything obviously over the line.  I am having a hard time imagining a case in which he'd be accountable for the shooting.

it seems egregiously reckless to fire shots at point blank range into a prone suspect on concrete with your partner perilously close to the line of fire.  if i were cop #2, I'd be pretty pissed about that.

4 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Couple other things of note here, at least to me...

What would the charge be against the non shooting officer?  I don't really see anything from the video to indicate he did anything obviously over the line.  I am having a hard time imagining a case in which he'd be accountable for the shooting.

it seems egregiously reckless to fire shots at point blank range into a prone suspect on concrete with your partner perilously close to the line of fire.  if i were cop #2, I'd be pretty pissed about that.

I wasn't entirely clear if only one officer shot or both did. Do you have any links on that?

And thanks for the previous clarification. You're right; it does appear to be largely evident that Alton Sterling had a gun on him. Which means short of any actual evidence showing that he did not actually go for a gun, the police involved are almost certainly going to be exonerated simply because they shot him thinking that he might be going for a gun. 

13 minutes ago, Dickwad Poster #3784 said:

I wasn't entirely clear if only one officer shot or both did. Do you have any links on that?

yep.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/07/only_one_officer_fired_shots_i.html

And thanks for the previous clarification. You're right; it does appear to be largely evident that Alton Sterling had a gun on him. Which means short of any actual evidence showing that he did not actually go for a gun, the police involved are almost certainly going to be exonerated simply because they shot him thinking that he might be going for a gun. 

Sadly, you're probably right.

10 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

There was a widespread media blackout during the protest in Baton Rouge.  I am getting stories about that down south, here.  If any of them have credible backup, I'll keep you posted. I wonder if the cel towers were overwhelmed as they tend to be down here when there are a lot of people in one area.  People came home furious.  There are some incredible pictures out there from Baton Rouge, if you scour the internet.

We had a peaceful vigil on Friday.  There were some unsubstantiated reports to expect violence, but it is 94 degrees here after dark and we like to parade.  

And now I'd like to derail this debate here about "force" and "wrestling".  I'd like to turn it to "Why were the Police involved EVER?"

I live 4 blocks from a Dollar Tree, a Family Dollar, and Dollar General.   At all three of these establishments, I can find a someone selling their CD's.  This is NORMAL BEHAVIOR in a parking lot in many neighborhoods of Southeastern Louisiana.  It is part of my errands to go get laundry detergent or bleach or toothpaste or whatever and then have a 5 minute conversation with the person who has their trunk open in the parking lot.  

Sometimes I dicker, sometimes I buy.

I've gotten some really cool music you can't get anywhere in the world outside of New Orleans clubs or parking lots.   

The people who do this are part of my neighborhood fabric.  There are other people in that parking lot.  People who just SUCK.

I STILL have no idea who called the police on Alton Sterling.  

My personal anecdotal evidence says that whoever called was an asshole.

Did he have a weapon?  Who cares.   Maybe was not actually as scary as some have made him out.  If he was that scary his sheer size and presence would have been enough to keep people out of his car while he was working.  I'm very glad I don't have his job. That job sucks.

Who called the police?

Where is this gun?

Here's an interview from the clerk.

I don't think any one should be censured for calling the police if they felt threatened. That's the cornerstone of a civilized society. Sure, better police officers ( like the ones in England or Germany) would have either talked the guy down or determined that there was nothing wrong, but I see nothing wrong with calling authorities if he was actually threatening people with his gun, or even just brandishing it.

Remember that Sterling wasn't just a big harmless teddy bear selling CDs, he had a rap sheet that included sexual assault and gun crimes. That by no means justifies his murder, but it adds credence to the possibility that he was engaging in legitimately threatening behavior.

17 hours ago, Harakiri said:

Trying to discredit an anti racist group the way you are toes the line and pretty much crosses it at some point. Even more so when you use that bullshit policelivesmatter and alllivesmatter. Both are used by bigots and the highly ignorant.

The way you have tried to discredit BLM is also very telling. Would you feel better if they were like you and just blindly loved the police and justified every shitty thing they do? 

AKA "anyone who disagrees with me is racist!"

1 hour ago, ElizabethB. said:

If something does discredit the blm movement it would be the fact that blm protesters have indeed chanted for dead cops, not the fact that someone brings it up. 

OK. Presumably you have a reliable source for this allegation - you've been asked for it twice. Care to explain why you don't provide it? Because if someone brings up an allegation but refuses to provide evidence, that doesn't discredit anything but the allegation itself.

5 minutes ago, ElizabethB. said:

You have agenda coming from your poohole if you need explaining how chanting for dead cops is discrediting. 

OK, so you admit you have no evidence that this has actually happened?

even if there was a 'death to cops' chant that occurred, one still needs to associate it plainly with BLM or sharpton or the millions march protest in 2014 (this allegation is that old, yes); this is difficult to do when anyone can enter the streets and record themselves making a damning video.  more likely a cointelpro false flag than a bona fide BLM event.

It wouldn't surprise me if somewhere, sometime, some people who could be considered BLM supporters said something about being happy that cops were dead.

It doesn't matter though. It's like there's always some asshole saying something stupid or offensive about whatever subject on twitter. It annoys me when clickbait rag run those, "Look at the racist/bigotted/ sexist things these people on twitter are saying!" It means literally nothing, and crowing about some hypothetical BLM supporters is the same thing.

Edit: meant to be E.B. post.

I'm almost at the point of suggesting you respond to one of those squiggly script things to confirm you aren't automated. You keep responding to key words or phrases in posts addressed to you while ignoring their questions or central responses.

I am half expecting a response like 'Right, I'm the one ignoring facts and reading off a script, and you are the one addressing the central question about dead cops.'

Archived