Alton Sterling shooting.

James Arryn

What the hell... and I was distantly wondering what was up with all the Pokemon refs on FB over the last while.

Now I know, and will wait for the Go Joe! app.

10 minutes ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

And what new bullshit is this?

Man who taped Sterlings death arrested

at work now, will try to see if I can find another source...

I was actually wondering if this might happen...am vaguely surprised he wasn't killed in a burglary. But, further, I truly think confiscating phones/cameras at crime scenes will soon become somehow logistically necessary...probably rules of evidence or some such.

25 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I was actually wondering if this might happen...am vaguely surprised he wasn't killed in a burglary. But, further, I truly think confiscating phones/cameras at crime scenes will soon become somehow logistically necessary...probably rules of evidence or some such.

Yeah, when I first saw the headline, I assumed it'd be for the actual filming-- many state, including mine I believe, make it a feliny to film people in pyblic without there permission, including police. 

Guess the guy could count himself lucky he doesn't drive, at least he wasn't pulled over :/

A cop was fired recently for threatening a little 5 year old. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/kansas-fired-facebook-threat-dallas-woman-child-article-1.2705351

A Kansas cop was fired for making bizarre online threats against a complete stranger’s young daughter after the attack on Dallas police.

Officer Rodney Lee Wilson was dismissed from the Overland Park force Friday after he commented on a public photo of LaNaydra Williams’ daughter, India — a 5-year-old who lives about 500 miles away in Dallas.

“We’ll see how much her life matters soon,” he wrote on a 2014 photo showing little India posing in a pair of boots. “Better be careful leaving your info open where she can be found :) Hold her close tonight it’ll be the last time.”

On 10. heinäkuuta 2016 at 9:39 AM, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I've never been a cop or a member of the military (though very few people in the military are expected to wrestle and non lethally subdue belligerents). But I have trained Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for many years. I'm no black belt, but if I had mount, even on a hypothetical 6'2" crossfitting former MP firefighter, I could keep decent control*. And if I had help, it wouldn't be a contest. I could definitely keep him from reaching a gun in his pocket for a while. I wouldn't need to do so indefinitely because I could grab it before he could. Off the top of my head, if you pin the guy down in a rough crucifix, and both of you kneel on one of his arms, one shin on the bicep, the other on the wrist, then the guy, unless he happens to be Brock Lesnar, will be helpless.

yes, keeping a guy pinned down takes energy, but it's a lot less energy than the guy on the bottom expends. Alton Sterling, while big, did not look like he was in especially good shape. Plus the fact that he was being pinned in the first place seems to put to rest the contention that he was some kind of freak crackhead pcp addled wrestler.

* If you in any way resemble that description, I'm not saying I could kick your ass, but if we started with you on the ground, with me sitting on your chest, then that's a whole different ball game.

Lets not pretend that having sparred any martial arts with ones buddies makes one know anything about a situation when shit does hit the fang.

1 hour ago, ElizabethB. said:

Lets not pretend that having sparred any martial arts with ones buddies makes one know anything about a situation when shit does hit the fang.

that's funny coming from someone that spouts off about BLM while not knowing anything about them aside from the bs racists spew when trying to discredit them.

1 hour ago, ElizabethB. said:

He's not pontificating about live fire or w/e, he's talking about leverage in hand to hand, wherein an understanding of martial arts is at least somewhat helpful. Are you in a position to know more?

I don't know where to post these anymore as there appears to be one a day.  Alva Brazil was shot after supposed pointing a weopon at a Houston officer.  Thus far body camera footage has not been released.  

Unofficially there appears to be footage from a nearby gas station.  His hands can't be seen clearly enough to see if a weapon is in them but they at no point are lowered to indicate pointing a gun at anyone.  Of course the footage isn't confirmed yet, but neither have body cam footage been released.

http://www.newsweek.com/alva-braziel-what-we-know-houston-police-shooting-479210

Do we at some point revisit the NRA's tepid outrage over these incidents? They commented on neither black victim until after a lot of public criticism for their silence on what would normally (ie white) be a classic stump, and even then it:

1) came a day after already responding re: Dallas, which itself unleashed fresh waves.

2) only even referencing the Minnesota shooting.

3) using neither victim's name.

I know when it was just Sterling people were saying they'd have to choose between gun rights and race. I guess they did, and frankly I'm surprised, but I guess they know their base better than I do. Right now they're sticking by due process/facts unfolding, which isn't a horrible stance, but not exactly their m.o. in different (white) circumstances.

11 hours ago, Harakiri said:

that's funny coming from someone that spouts off about BLM while not knowing anything about them aside from the bs racists spew when trying to discredit them.

Pointing out that sparring is different than violence is racist now?

Asking if blm are chanting for dead cops is racist now? 

For the record, Harakiri text has nothing to do with anything I have written on any thread. 

12 minutes ago, ElizabethB. said:

Asking if blm are chanting for dead cops is racist now? 

Asking loaded questions isn't a neutral act. Unless you have a reliable source to show that this is a thing that is actually happening (and not just one or two isolated instances), you're clearly pushing an agenda by asking this: trying to discredit BLM and associate them with violence against the police. And yes, trying to discredit an anti-racist group would be racist, by definition.

I've unfortunately been in a few fights, so I can say that grappling experience is at least applicable.

Anyway, my point is that the two Police had good control over Sterling and there was no need for them to panic because he had a gun in his pocket, which hadn't brandished prior to being pinned onto the ground. In fact, I think the entire argument that they panicked is a huge stretch, and if true, speaks to a serious lack of physical and grappling training for police who are expected to be physical and wrestle with suspects.

There was a widespread media blackout during the protest in Baton Rouge.  I am getting stories about that down south, here.  If any of them have credible backup, I'll keep you posted. I wonder if the cel towers were overwhelmed as they tend to be down here when there are a lot of people in one area.  People came home furious.  There are some incredible pictures out there from Baton Rouge, if you scour the internet.

We had a peaceful vigil on Friday.  There were some unsubstantiated reports to expect violence, but it is 94 degrees here after dark and we like to parade.  

And now I'd like to derail this debate here about "force" and "wrestling".  I'd like to turn it to "Why were the Police involved EVER?"

I live 4 blocks from a Dollar Tree, a Family Dollar, and Dollar General.   At all three of these establishments, I can find a someone selling their CD's.  This is NORMAL BEHAVIOR in a parking lot in many neighborhoods of Southeastern Louisiana.  It is part of my errands to go get laundry detergent or bleach or toothpaste or whatever and then have a 5 minute conversation with the person who has their trunk open in the parking lot.  

Sometimes I dicker, sometimes I buy.

I've gotten some really cool music you can't get anywhere in the world outside of New Orleans clubs or parking lots.   

The people who do this are part of my neighborhood fabric.  There are other people in that parking lot.  People who just SUCK.

I STILL have no idea who called the police on Alton Sterling.  

My personal anecdotal evidence says that whoever called was an asshole.

Did he have a weapon?  Who cares.   Maybe was not actually as scary as some have made him out.  If he was that scary his sheer size and presence would have been enough to keep people out of his car while he was working.  I'm very glad I don't have his job. That job sucks.

Who called the police?

Where is this gun?

Here's an interview from the clerk.

"He's pretty friendly," he said. "A lot of people know him and a lot of people respect him."

A vigil is taking for Sterling at Muflahi's store Wednesday at 6 p.m. His family continues to demand answers as a national outpour of anger surfaces

I don't live in Baton Rouge.  I live an hour and a half south. 

A CD dealer generally brings a lot of attention to themselves by playing the music they're selling on the car speakers and chatting up the customers.  Anyone bringing up any old dirt on Mr. Sterling needs to check themselves.  It was a non-issue in this incident.  In addition, you should check the statistics for arrest and incarceration rates in Louisiana before you even think about talking about it.  

This was a 37 year old man who was a part of his neighborhood and his family.  He was at work.

1 hour ago, Lily Valley said:

There was a widespread media blackout during the protest in Baton Rouge.  I am getting stories about that down south, here.  If any of them have credible backup, I'll keep you posted. I wonder if the cel towers were overwhelmed as they tend to be down here when there are a lot of people in one area.  People came home furious.  There are some incredible pictures out there from Baton Rouge, if you scour the internet.

We had a peaceful vigil on Friday.  There were some unsubstantiated reports to expect violence, but it is 94 degrees here after dark and we like to parade.  

And now I'd like to derail this debate here about "force" and "wrestling".  I'd like to turn it to "Why were the Police involved EVER?"

I live 4 blocks from a Dollar Tree, a Family Dollar, and Dollar General.   At all three of these establishments, I can find a someone selling their CD's.  This is NORMAL BEHAVIOR in a parking lot in many neighborhoods of Southeastern Louisiana.  It is part of my errands to go get laundry detergent or bleach or toothpaste or whatever and then have a 5 minute conversation with the person who has their trunk open in the parking lot.  

Sometimes I dicker, sometimes I buy.

I've gotten some really cool music you can't get anywhere in the world outside of New Orleans clubs or parking lots.   

The people who do this are part of my neighborhood fabric.  There are other people in that parking lot.  People who just SUCK.

I STILL have no idea who called the police on Alton Sterling.  

My personal anecdotal evidence says that whoever called was an asshole.

Did he have a weapon?  Who cares.   Maybe was not actually as scary as some have made him out.  If he was that scary his sheer size and presence would have been enough to keep people out of his car while he was working.  I'm very glad I don't have his job. That job sucks.

Who called the police?

Where is this gun?

Here's an interview from the clerk.

There was a report that he brandished a gun at someone.

this is from your very own link:

He watched as officers Howie Lake II and Blane Salamoni then removed a firearm from his pocket, he said.

Lake and Salamoni arrived at the store at 12:35 a.m. after a complainant told authorities Sterling was selling CDs by the property and threatening him with a gun, according to 911 calls. Baton Rouge Police Department spokesman Cpl. L'Jean McKneely has not confirmed the details of what Muflahi witnessed.

Archived