Edric Dayne, Why aren't we talking about him?

House Beaudreau

42 minutes ago, OuttaOldtown said:

“Yes.” He did not sound very proud of it. “I was at the Mummer’s Ford. When Lord Beric fell into the river, I dragged him up onto the bank so he wouldn’t drown and stood over him with my sword. I never had to fight, though. He had a broken lance sticking out of him, so no one bothered us. When we regrouped, Green Gergen helped pull his lordship back onto a horse.” 

Sorry, but there's absolutely nothing badass about anything he says, he doesn't speak proudly about the Mummers Ford. He sounds kinda wimpy tbh, even the rain kicks his ass. You're blinded by his last name.. 

A 12 year old green squire dragging a fully armed and armored knight's dead weight out of the water with a battle going on around him and standing over him so he isn't dishonored is, quite literally, the finest bit of nobility and bad assery that a squire can have. I think you are blinded by arya love. Sticking a sword through some stable boy who isn't expecting it? I have always read Edric to be brave. Not sure why you think he sounds wimpy.

2 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

A 12 year old green squire dragging a fully armed and armored knight's dead weight out of the water with a battle going on around him and standing over him so he isn't dishonored is, quite literally, the finest bit of nobility and bad assery that a squire can have. I think you are blinded by arya love. Sticking a sword through some stable boy who isn't expecting it? I have always read Edric to be brave. Not sure why you think he sounds wimpy.

Has nothing to do with Arya, if you think this paints him out to be badass I feel sorry for you. I find him totally unimpressive..

2 hours ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

How come he didn't get killed or taken hostage? Refresh my memory, did Dondarrion's party win at the Mummer's Ford? Did they fight off the Mountain?

Why they didn't take him hostage always was a question to me. I mean, he is the lord of starfall. Presumably his ransom would be pretty high as far as high born hostages go. At the end of the battle of mummers ford Clegane and his people have killed Lothar Mallery, Gladden Wylde and Raymund Darry along with almost all of the 20 stark men (maybe only missing Alyn?) that went to bring Gregor to justice. Gregor put a lance through Beric "killing" him. Edric pulled him out of the Red Fork and stood over his body. THe fact that he wasn't taken or killed is suprising and the way he talks about it with Arya shows that he is particularly proud of his actions -- whatever they were.

After Gregor and his men leave the battle Thoros holy r'hollers Beric back to "life" and Alyn of Winterfell calls a retreat while battle goes on around them. Those that survived and retreated formed the core of the brotherhood without banners.

Say what you want but if battle is raging all around and the mountain and his men are killing all your brothers in arms and you climb into the water of the red fork and drag a full armored Beric Dondarion (complete with the mountains lance through him) out of the water and stand over his body protecting it from the battle going on around you and manage, despite being an obvious high born of great value, not to get yourself captured AND you are 12 years old I call you bad ass

6 minutes ago, OuttaOldtown said:

Has nothing to do with Arya, if you think this paints him out to be badass I feel sorry for you. I find him totally unimpressive..

If that is how you feel. I mean, I think it is absolutely crazy. 12 year old in battle of mummers ford. Mountains men killing everyone you are with. The knight you squire for takes a lance through the chest from the mountain and is dropped in mummers fork. You climb in the water, drag the body out, stand over it while battle rages on as a point of honor, manage not to be taken hostage despite being an obvious and valuable high born hostage and you say "unimpressed" that makes me think that you have some other personal reason not to like Edric and has nothing to do with his performance in the books.

Edit: Are you also not impressed that in order to save Tyrion Podric Payne kills Ser Mandon Moore because outside of battle he is skiddish?

32 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

If that is how you feel. I mean, I think it is absolutely crazy. 12 year old in battle of mummers ford. Mountains men killing everyone you are with. The knight you squire for takes a lance through the chest from the mountain and is dropped in mummers fork. You climb in the water, drag the body out, stand over it while battle rages on as a point of honor, manage not to be taken hostage despite being an obvious and valuable high born hostage and you say "unimpressed" that makes me think that you have some other personal reason not to like Edric and has nothing to do with his performance in the books.

Edit: Are you also not impressed that in order to save Tyrion Podric Payne kills Ser Mandon Moore because outside of battle he is skiddish?

I think Pod has a better chance of being the next Sword of the Morning. If Ned had another last name I highly doubt you'd refer to him as badass, I think Arya's assessment of him is accurate, a shy good-natured kid..

5 hours ago, OuttaOldtown said:

I think Pod has a better chance of being the next Sword of the Morning. If Ned had another last name I highly doubt you'd refer to him as badass, I think Arya's assessment of him is accurate, a shy good-natured kid..

as opposed to arya's assessment of literally every other character which has pretty much been unfailingly wrong since she first met Yoren?

I guess we will see what the future has in store for young Edric when the next book comes out.

7 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

as opposed to arya's assessment of literally every other character which has pretty much been unfailingly wrong since she first met Yoren?

I guess we will see what the future has in store for young Edric when the next book comes out.

LOL! The issue is you lowering the bar of badassery to dragging someone out of a river and standing over them doing nothing.. 

George managed to write the next two books without him, I know, its shocking. Don't be surprised if young Edric amounts to extraordinarily little in future books.. 

1 minute ago, OuttaOldtown said:

LOL! The issue is you lowering the bar of badassery to dragging someone out of a river and standing over them doing nothing.. 

George managed to write the next two books without him, I know, its shocking. Don't be surprised if young Edric amounts to extraordinarily little in future books.. 

okalee dokalee

On August 10, 2016 at 3:27 PM, OuttaOldtown said:

That was good..

But you have Darkstar! Don't you love Darkstar? After all, he's the night..

On August 10, 2016 at 4:33 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

He is not the night. He is of the night. 

A Dayne of High Hermitage is not the same as a Dayne of Starfall... As others in this forum have noted "high hermitage" can mean "dis-inherited" or "dis-owned". They may be the Karstarks of Dorne. Thus, I propose that Daynes from High Hermitage be called fDaynes.

This may explain why Gerold "Darkstar" fDayne portrays a sense of bitterness and resentment when asked if he was the Sword of the Morning.

Perhaps all fDaynes of High Hermitage are "of the night", (like Vorian fDayne the "Sword of the Evening") or maybe it's a branch of House fDayne started by The son of Davos Dayne (SotM) and Nymeria that was passed over or "discarded" in succession of Dorne's throne, in favor of Nymeria's eldest daughter.

My favorite (not original) idea is that the Sword of the Morning isn't actually chosen by the Daynes; but Sword of the Morning is "deemed worthy" by the sword Dawn, itself.. Like a "Sword in the Stone" situation, or like the plethora of other fantasy swords that consciously choose who shall wield them.

Could the "High Hermitage" cadet branch of House Dayne be composed entirely of all the fDayne "landed knights" that have been "discarded" or deemed "unworthy" by the sword Dawn for its office of SotM?

if any of these ideas are accurate, than that is very interesting that a knight of house fDayne isn't Elite enough to be SotM, but is still considered "the most dangerous man in Dorne."

i think the Daynes of Starfall have not participated much in the story thus far because things in the realm have not yet become dire enough for the services of a SotM... Petty Lannister, Tyrell, Baratheon, and other silly 7 kingdom bullsh*t is below the Badasses of Dayne. Give them a holler when the dead have risen and The Wall comes down.

9 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

Dayne Aerys, Daynaerys, Danaerys, Dany?

Though not my favorite theory, its at least  possible, maybe even likely... 

Mad King Aerys may have been the one who "dishonors" Ashara during the Tourney at Harrenhall, as remembered by Barristan, before Ashara "turning to Stark" for comfort...

Since we know Jaime's account of standing guard while Aerys raped the Queen, it's possible that Barristan may have even been guarding the door during Ashara's rape, and this is why he remembers it out of guilt after all this time, thinking how winning that tournament was the only thing he could have done to intervene.

Aerys very well may have continued the forced coitus for an untold amount of time thereafter resulting in the conception of Daenerys.

perhaps this was finally the straw that broke the camels back for Arthur Dayne and Co. This could have been the final nail in the coffin for Arthur's allegiance shifting completely to Rhaegar from Aerys, split the allegiance of the Kingsguard, and thus hastened the plan to put Rhaegar on the throne.

There is literally zero evidence at all that Aerys raped Ashara and this so called theory really needs to die.  Nothing at all in any of the books in any way indicates a rape, in fact the world book directly rules it out as we learn Aerys swore off other women altogether eventually because he believed the gods were punishing him for his infidelities by killing his children. 

16 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

Dayne Aerys, Daynaerys, Danaerys, Dany?

6 hours ago, Rhaegar H'Ghar said:

Though not my favorite theory, its at least  possible, maybe even likely... 

Mad King Aerys may have been the one who "dishonors" Ashara during the Tourney at Harrenhall, as remembered by Barristan, before Ashara "turning to Stark" for comfort...

Since we know Jaime's account of standing guard while Aerys raped the Queen, it's possible that Barristan may have even been guarding the door during Ashara's rape, and this is why he remembers it out of guilt after all this time, thinking how winning that tournament was the only thing he could have done to intervene.

Aerys very well may have continued the forced coitus for an untold amount of time thereafter resulting in the conception of Daenerys.

perhaps this was finally the straw that broke the camels back for Arthur Dayne and Co. This could have been the final nail in the coffin for Arthur's allegiance shifting completely to Rhaegar from Aerys, split the allegiance of the Kingsguard, and thus hastened the plan to put Rhaegar on the throne.

Holy shit, that's delicious. It would've been staring us in the face all this time!

1 hour ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

There is literally zero evidence at all that Aerys raped Ashara and this so called theory really needs to die.  Nothing at all in any of the books in any way indicates a rape, in fact the world book directly rules it out as we learn Aerys swore off other women altogether eventually because he believed the gods were punishing him for his infidelities by killing his children. 

And the world book's never wrong, and men never go back on their word, and serial philanderers and rapists are capable of restraining themselves when they face no consequences...

2 hours ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

Agree. Dishonored doesn't equal rape, far more likely she was seduced by a man who was betrothed to another woman and chose to honor his arranged marriage.. 

2 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

In our society, true. In a quasi-medieval one...

I'm not so sure, when women have been raped it's been called rape. I think Brandon basically did the opposite of his nephew Robb, except he left Ashara with child. She 'turned to Stark', Selmy never said 'for comfort'. I feel the knowledge we gain about Brandon loving the sight of his bloody sword is a clue that he excelled at deflowering maids..

Archived