Roose Knows There Are Dragon Eggs In Winterfell

estermonty python

1 minute ago, Lurid Jester said:

So this seems to have come up a few times but I'm at a loss. 

Dragon eggs in Winterfell?  Could one of you nice people direct me to the appropriate reading material because this is new to me and it's piqued my curiosity. 

The World of Ice and Fire contains a denial of a tale that Vermax lef a clutch of eggs in the crypts

1 minute ago, Tucu said:

The World of Ice and Fire contains a denial of a tale that Vermax lef a clutch of eggs in the crypts

Much obliged.  Clearly I didn't retain a damn thing when I read that. Time to pull it down from the shelf and give it another go. 

The thing about Roose having knowledge of the dragon eggs is what significance would it have. It's not Roose could do anything with them if he even cared to find them. Even he wanted to sell them the dragons wouldn't grow fast enough to be significant in the story. I just don't know what plot purpose that would serve.

18 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

I trust Barth over Gyldayn,

“The belief that dragons could change sex at need is erroneous, according to Maester Anson’s Truth, rooted in a misunderstanding of the esoteric metaphor that Barth preferred when discussing the higher mysteries.”

I didn't bother posting on the last part but take it for whatever you think it's worth.

On August 11, 2016 at 8:00 PM, house of dayne said:

It was the complete version of asoiaf...now grrm has to struggle to rewrite it..sad but true, another crime to lay at boltons feet

No no no: it was a book entitled "How To Grow Lemons I'm Braavos" by Archmaester Citron

12 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Do you have that quote?

The quote comes from the Roose Bolton page on the "Game of Thrones Wiki", for the show. However they don't actually link a direct source for the quote that I can see. So maybe it's just BS. My bad, if so. I couldn't remember where I had read that.

I quite like the theory that there are dragon eggs beneath Winterfell. I know people use the whole it was refuted by Archmaester Gyldayn and that Mushroom was a fool but at the end of the day what we get in ASOIAF is one persons view. Even in TWOIAF they talk about Joffrey being a good person and a Baratheon. Plus there's the whole grand master conspiracy

Ok, so an unfounded rumor suggests that there are dragon eggs under winterfell.  With two books left, what purpose could they possibly have?  Why has no Stark, in the years since, found them? Is their only purpose so Jon has something to wake from the stone?

hasnt that already been done?  

Ive always been of the opinion that the AA/PwwP was potentially three different people, each of whom fulfills different parts of the prophecy. So Dany wakes the dragons, Jon does something, and the third head of the dragon does something else. 

Maybe im just missing something obvious.

45 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Ok, so an unfounded rumor suggests that there are dragon eggs under winterfell.  With two books left, what purpose could they possibly have?  Why has no Stark, in the years since, found them? Is their only purpose so Jon has something to wake from the stone?

hasnt that already been done?  

Ive always been of the opinion that the AA/PwwP was potentially three different people, each of whom fulfills different parts of the prophecy. So Dany wakes the dragons, Jon does something, and the third head of the dragon does something else. 

Maybe im just missing something obvious.

Purpose? They could be a WMD against the Others, or the wights controlled by the others, or both.  We know there are many levels in the crypts of WInterfell that no one living seems to have ever explored.  At any rate, there being dragon eggs in Winterfell isn't really connected to whether or not it fulfills some sort of prophecy; GRRM doesn't particularly like prophecies much, anyway.

On 8/12/2016 at 5:52 PM, Universal Sword Donor said:

“The belief that dragons could change sex at need is erroneous, according to Maester Anson’s Truth, rooted in a misunderstanding of the esoteric metaphor that Barth preferred when discussing the higher mysteries.”

I didn't bother posting on the last part but take it for whatever you think it's worth.

Also all the giants and children of the forest are dead, the strange activity from the north is definitely ice dragons and not others, and Joffrey is the wisest and bravest king to ever rule the land.

12 hours ago, estermonty python said:

Purpose? They could be a WMD against the Others, or the wights controlled by the others, or both.  We know there are many levels in the crypts of WInterfell that no one living seems to have ever explored.  At any rate, there being dragon eggs in Winterfell isn't really connected to whether or not it fulfills some sort of prophecy; GRRM doesn't particularly like prophecies much, anyway.

I get the purpose of dragons but is two books (or one and a half) enough to find, identify, hatch, and age up to a point they'll be worth a damn in a fight?

Dragons are a huge deal in this series and I just don't see GRRM dropping more into it without a significant reason or significant build up.  

Besides, they would be stone right?  Like every other dragon egg that has been referenced in the series so far. 

And as far as him not liking prophecies, I don't know about that.  He may think they're a lazy and overused trope, but he's using the hell out of them in his opus. 

It could just as easily be that the book was nothing important at all. It could have simply been the book laying on that table when Roose entered the room. He thumbed through it, saw it was nothing of special note and tossed it in the fire the same way I might do if I found some sappy love novel laying on my table. Roose could have been thumbing through every book in the place and tossing them in the fire when they proved to be of no importance. Might even be that he just liked the way old paper smelled when it burned.

1 hour ago, Lurid Jester said:

I get the purpose of dragons but is two books (or one and a half) enough to find, identify, hatch, and age up to a point they'll be worth a damn in a fight?

Dragons are a huge deal in this series and I just don't see GRRM dropping more into it without a significant reason or significant build up.  

Besides, they would be stone right?  Like every other dragon egg that has been referenced in the series so far. 

Mad far as him not liking prophecies, I don't know about that.  He may think they're a lazy and overused trope, but he's using the hell out of them in his opus. 

Short answer: no, I don't think there's enough time for what you describe.  But maybe there's enough time to discover some new dragon eggs in an epilogue or something?  or maybe there needs to be some new dragons so drogon and his bros can breed?  Or maybe the eggs hatched a long time ago and there's a dragon in winterfell that keeps the hot springs hot?  Kidding about that last one (mostly) but I don't think its like GRRM to drop a juicy rumor about an important place without a reason.

13 minutes ago, Net-Viper X said:

It could just as easily be that the book was nothing important at all. It could have simply been the book laying on that table when Roose entered the room. He thumbed through it, saw it was nothing of special note and tossed it in the fire the same way I might do if I found some sappy love novel laying on my table. Roose could have been thumbing through every book in the place and tossing them in the fire when they proved to be of no importance. Might even be that he just liked the way old paper smelled when it burned.

You...you would just throw a book in a fire for no reason?

Just now, estermonty python said:

You...you would just throw a book in a fire for no reason?

I didn't say for no reason, I said if it was some sappy love novel. I have read some books that a fire is the only place they belong. In fact I have read a few so bad the author should be tossed in the fire too. If you found a copy of Mein Kampf laying on your table would you toss it in the fire or place it lovingly on your shelf?

As much as I enjoy the mysterious crypts of WF I think that if there is a secret stash of dragon eggs hidden somewhere it would be at Dragonstone.

"I resent your implication, Swyft," Mace Tyrell said, bristling. "No wealth was found on Dragonstone, I promise you. My son's men have searched every inch of that damp and dreary island and turned up not so much as a single gemstone or speck of gold. Nor any sign of this fabled hoard of dragon eggs."

Kevan Lannister had seen Dragonstone with his own eyes. He doubted very much that Loras Tyrell had searched every inch of that ancient stronghold. The Valyrians had raised it, after all, and all their works stank of sorcery. <snip> "If there was wealth on Dragonstone, Stannis would have found it," he declared.  DwD Epilogue

My scientific wild ass guess about the book Roose burned:  may have had something to do with a mention of the history of House Bolton.

1 hour ago, Net-Viper X said:

I didn't say for no reason, I said if it was some sappy love novel. I have read some books that a fire is the only place they belong. In fact I have read a few so bad the author should be tossed in the fire too. If you found a copy of Mein Kampf laying on your table would you toss it in the fire or place it lovingly on your shelf?

If a copy of mein kampf appeared on my table out of nowhere, the last thing I'd be worried about would be what to do with it.

Archived