No Apples please: allergies and the (almost) adult

Whitestripe

6 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

No, the whole point is that people have already boarded a flight, then are told not to eat products with nuts or that contain traces of nuts.  There is nothing to be done at that time.  

That is assuming that the plane has *no* food items that don't contain nuts or traces of nuts, which to me seems like a stretch. Also, you read the article and your first instinct is to say 'that probably didn't happen' :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Raja said:

That is assuming that the plane has *no* food items that don't contain nuts or traces of nuts, which to me seems like a stretch. Also, you read the article and your first instinct is to say 'that probably didn't happen' :rolleyes:

that is not so much a stretch as you seem to think.   Its not that they have no-food items without traces of nuts, its that they suddenly don't have enough food items to serve everyone.

the Flight I was on,  it was a paid for meal, we didn't pre-book the meal as we planned to eat at the airport first, due to the coach breaking down on the way to the airport we only just caught the plane.  we did manage to buy a pack of cookies at the airport (yes they had nuts in).  And a lot of people on that flight where also on that coach.

they had no extra meals, so if you did not order them when you booked your flight you went without. 

the non-nut snacks were sold to the front of the plane, by the time they got to the middle they had sold out.

We went very hungry.    we picked up the coach at 11am.   our flight was at 8pm  (yes we should have been there excessively early)  we didn't land till just after midnight.  So we had no food since breakfast.  we lived.  We might have been annoyed and hungry but we lived.  we where annoyed that the airline, knowing about the Nut allergy in advance did not swap the nut bearing snacks they carried for something else, especially considering they run out.  but then it wouldn't have been an issue if the coach had not broken down, creating a coach load of extra hungry people before they even got on the plane.

other flights and airlines may be different. but not that Easyjet flight.

I don't want to seem insensitive to a health concern, and it may seem like a small thing to accommodate someone, but what happens when everyone needs to be accommodated and they all have different allergies? I am not sure it is practical to place the burden on everyone else.

2 hours ago, Pebbles said:

that is not so much a stretch as you seem to think.   Its not that they have no-food items without traces of nuts, its that they suddenly don't have enough food items to serve everyone.

the Flight I was on,  it was a paid for meal, we didn't pre-book the meal as we planned to eat at the airport first, due to the coach breaking down on the way to the airport we only just caught the plane.  we did manage to buy a pack of cookies at the airport (yes they had nuts in).  And a lot of people on that flight where also on that coach.

they had no extra meals, so if you did not order them when you booked your flight you went without. 

the non-nut snacks were sold to the front of the plane, by the time they got to the middle they had sold out.

We went very hungry.    we picked up the coach at 11am.   our flight was at 8pm  (yes we should have been there excessively early)  we didn't land till just after midnight.  So we had no food since breakfast.  we lived.  We might have been annoyed and hungry but we lived.  we where annoyed that the airline, knowing about the Nut allergy in advance did not swap the nut bearing snacks they carried for something else, especially considering they run out.  but then it wouldn't have been an issue if the coach had not broken down, creating a coach load of extra hungry people before they even got on the plane.

other flights and airlines may be different. but not that Easyjet flight.

Peeble,

And how would that experience have been for someone suffering from severe diabetes?  Potentially dangerous, dare I say potentially life threatening.  As such we have compete serious concerns here.  There needs to be a balance.  

Allergies don't trump all other health conditions or concerns.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Peeble,

And how would that experience have been for someone suffering from severe diabetes?  Potentially dangerous, dare I say potentially life threatening.  As such we have compete serious concerns here.  There needs to be a balance.  

Allergies don't trump all other health conditions or concerns.

I'm sure that person suffering diabetes should be adult enough to speak the the air stewards when the nut ban was announced if they did not have suitable foods with them  maybe move them to a different part of the plane.  Maybe they get serverd food first before they ran out...  there are options.

2 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

I'm sure that person suffering diabetes should be adult enough to speak the the air stewards when the nut ban was announced if they did not have suitable foods with them  maybe move them to a different part of the plane.  Maybe they get serverd food first before they ran out...  there are options.

Indeed.  Nevertheless my point stands.  Allegeries and those who suffer from them are not the only people who should be considered when banning food from aircraft flights.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Indeed.  Nevertheless my point stands.  Allegeries and those who suffer from them are not the only people who should be considered when banning food from aircraft flights.

but perhaps its ok to ban such foods until other issues arise which would then lead to the air steward/ appropriate person to re-assess the situation.

At the time of the ban they where aware of just one issue, a person allergic to nuts.  

there was a secondary issue of a coach load (approx 50 people) on that flight who due to a set of unfortunate events had not been able to eat for several hours before the flight, which lead to them running out of food.  - however this was not enough for them to lift the bad on nuts.  - I do not know if any of those people had other conditions and raised them, or if any special consideration was given to any of them.    Oh and some of those on the coach did manage to buy food on the plane.   I do know that the air stewards did not speak to the nut allergy suffer when on the plane cos they just happened to be sitting next to me.   as I said in an earlier post they had requested to the airline that those sitting near them and not the whole plane.  It was the Airline's choice to ban it on the whole plane.   I'm sure if someone really had a problem then the air stewards would have spoken to the nut  suffer.

I suspect that had there been no food ban on the plane they still would have run out due to the unexpected high demand for food on that flight.   What did annoy me was when one of the stewards told me they had run out of food they can serve, but they did have other snacks but could not sever them.  I was annoyed that they did not replace these nut snacks with something else.

I agree that the airline is using the CYA approach with a blanket ban.  There's no clear medical necessity for someone 20 feet away to not consume nuts but it absolves them of liability.  The passengers bear the discomfort but we're supposed to blame the allergy sufferer rather than the airline.  The airline doesn't plan for additional meals or nut-free snacks and they will sell out quickly.  Any diabetic or sufficiently hungry passenger will just break the restriction (nearly all kids get very low blood sugar after a few hours).  It's all safety theater anyway, just like the TSA.  

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

And some people need to eat on long flights when there is no nut free food available for quite some time.  What happens in that circumstance?

Oh...  I don't know...  They plan in advance and bring food with them? As they do in basically every other situation in their life where this is going to be an issue?

30 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Oh...  I don't know...  They plan in advance and bring food with them? As they do in basically every other situation in their life where this is going to be an issue?

And when the food they've brought is declared verboten due to a person on board's allergy after they've boarded the plane?  What happens?

Archived