US Elections 2016: Why we can't have nice things

butterbumps!

Very sweet. What Trump seemed to have accomplished, stopping the bleeding within the GOP, seems to be coming undone Monday. Paul Ryan's cowardly wriggling seems to have made things worse. Perhaps the polls are causing a panic as well.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/will-republicans-stay-with-trump-229536

Trump lashes out at Ryan
The highest-elected Republican official abandons Trump as he plunges in the polls.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The man who gave us Palin does not get to complain about intellectual rot. 

Well, whether he inflicted Palin on us or not, he is essentially right.

At least he was willing to put down the bong and admit there is a problem.

17 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Jeff Sessions doesn't recognize forcing a kiss or a genital grabbing on a woman as sexual assault.  He's directly in charge of lawmaking.  I imagine this man exhibits the temperament rapists and rape apologists hope for in a lawmaker.    

I guess grabbing the crotch area could just be common assault and not sexual assault, if it was done with the intent to cause pain rather than to get yourself off. Like a kick to the crotch isn;t sexual assault, it's common assault. Maybe that's what Sessions was thinking? Or is just in deep with the rape culture and probably doesn't even realise.

Wow they're eating their own. 

4 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Well, whether he inflicted Palin on us or not, he is essentially right.

At least he was willing to put down the bong and admit there is a problem.

Eh, it's fair to acknowledge that he's found religion on the matter, but it doesn't change the fact that he was in charge of the campaign that accelerated the Republican Party's slow drip of insanity into an unstoppable surge. 

1 minute ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Holy shit. Kellyanne Conway speaking to Chris Matthews essentially accuses Republicans jumping ship on Trump of being sexual predators themselves.

The party of family values has turned this election into a weird balance between anger and schadenfreude.  

Costa also confirms that the Trump campaign, like much of America, enjoys watching them squeal.

Meanwhile, Trump circle gloating. Privately mocking elected Rs who are agonizing. One laughed and said, "We don't care."

If Torturing Republican Members of Congress Is Trump’s End Goal, He’s Crushing It

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/10/10/donald_trump_is_torturing_republican_members_of_congress.html

57 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Holy shit. Kellyanne Conway speaking to Chris Matthews essentially accuses Republicans jumping ship on Trump of being sexual predators themselves.

Um... Not surprising. I believe she and probably most other women in Washington probably did get treated pretty sleazily by politicians.

Well, the Clinton campaign strikes and grinds further down to dust the remnants of a fractured GOP. We expected the meltdown at the debate, but it really came today and it is indeed spectacular.

To veterans of former President Bill Clinton’s 1996 race — in which his lead was so solid in the late-going that GOP leaders all-but-abandoned presidential nominee Bob Dole — Monday’s explosion was familiar, but even more pronounced.
“1996 was like a Disney family film compared to this year, which feels more like 'Saw V,'” said veteran Democratic operative Chris Lehane, who worked on that campaign.

Clinton team projects open confidence
As Trump’s campaign spirals, Democrats see victory on the horizon.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/hillary-clinton-campaign-confidence-229569

8 minutes ago, Daniel Plainview said:

It's pretty much a campaign of make everyone that isn't a straight white Christian man know their fucking place and not have equality.

Yep. I had a long drive recently and spent a few hours actually listening to The Right Stuff, The Daily Shoah, and Fash the Nation podcasts on the advice of a friend. It's terrifying stuff. And it's there, in the campaign. I used to think it was just his sons who were adherents to this Nazi garbage, but no longer. There are too many similarities. The way the alt-right argues that they'd be better for the black community than paternalistic white liberalism sounds *just like* the Great Orange One. Now I'm just waiting to hear those dog whistles. You have 1488 ways to Make America Great Again? He's been careful (about appearing like a full-on white nationalist if nothing else), but he'll slip. Not that it will matter to his supporters.

33 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I'm quite sure that you're right. I'm just shocked they're making that announcement as part of their campaign strategy. Trump is going full scorched earth, so it's definitely all downhill from here.

It's like... Trump is willing to screw over everyone he ever did business with, for personal gain, or something...

Though it'll be interesting to see if Conway and the rest of the operation suffer any career consequences for this reckless campaign.

Archived