NFL 2016 Week 9: Once You Go Dak, You Never Go Back

Manhole Eunuchsbane

17 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I call bullshit. Deadspin has the full text of what Trump read from Belichick's supposed letter, and frankly it reads like something that they let Donnie Trump Jr write... one-handed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brady or Belichick were actually Trump supporters. White people in the NFL tend to be pretty right wing. But I'd think they'd be smart enough to keep quiet about it, unlike, say, Rex Fucking Ryan.

Are you implying that Bill Belichick doesn't have the exact same writing style as Trump's doctor? Dude, that's just how highly successful people write. 

5 minutes ago, Triskan said:

That Darth Hoodie endorsed Trump is one of the more unbelievable things I've ever heard.  I will be truly amazed if that's true.  Brady less so.

Maybe not even Tom

@Jaime L

I just want to respond to your comments here and let you know that I am a registered Democrat and have been all my life.  As a child I was on of FOUR kids on my 4th grade class to vote for Mondale over Reagan.  While I have supported GOP candidates, they have all been local; I have been involved heavily in electing Elizabeth Warren as Senator in Massachusetts (my state, obviously) where I was a poll-watcher for her campaign as well as part of her volunteer legal team (sounds much more impressive than it is; just means they call me if there needs to be an emergency legal case filed if somebody has wrongly been kept from voting).

So, understand that my opinion on this is HORRIBLY slanted to my view on this issue. 

Okay.

Trump is lying. 

That's a hot-take, huh? The lying liar who lies lied?  

He's lying. 

First, on Monday, I listed to Brady's radio interview where he said he had not voted yet.  Massachusetts had early voting but it ended Friday; (and absentee balloting ended a few weeks earlier) but Mass has no early voting Monday so if Trump said that Brady voted for him Monday night ... somebody is lying. 

Second, Giselle was asked "Does your family support Trump?" and responded, "No."  Now, I don't doubt that Giselle carries a lot of weight in that family, but I doubt that she can keep Brady from voting for Trump.  But I don't think that as of Monday night he voted for Trump, and I think its still possible he won't vote for Trump. 

Third, while Brady is prone to lying about certain things, if Brady's goal is not to attract attention to him or his vote DURING the election, he could accomplish the same thing by just saying, "I'll announce who I voted for after the election," which is what he did in the radio interview.  He did not have to say "I have not voted yet."  He could just say "I voted but I won't reveal it until next week.  He had no incentive to lie about this. 

Brady is from California, a traditionally liberal state.  While it does possess enclaves of GOP support (Orange County), its a very blue state. Statistically, Brady is likely connected to that blue-side of the state.  Yes, he had that hat and Trump has been in the Kraft ownership suite, but that's at best circumstantial evidence.  Its hardly an endorsement. 

If there is ONE thing that bothers me about Brady and his possible right-leaning ties is that he did not show up to the White House for the last Superbowl, the only SB Brady would have gone to with a Democratic President.  Local fans will recall that Bruins Goalie Tim Thomas did not attend the White House ceremony with Obama and stated that it was PRECISELY because he did not respect Obama (... great ...), but Brady?  This seems a little strange.  Still, its not an endorsement of Trump.  

This brings us to Belichick which, I think, is easier than Brady to disprove.

For starters, the note sounds like it was written by somebody NOT named Bill Belichick who keeps most his comments very brief, even when he's speaking right to them.  IN the inaugural, "A Football Life" Belichick speaks to Russ Frances and while effusive, his commentary is contained; same thing when he leaves a message for then Red Sox manager Terry Francona congratulating him on his Playoff birth.  Nothing long and flowing as the letter sent to Trump.  

Secondly, Belichick is a true non-conformist; he does not lean red even though he has some traditionally right-leaning sentiments (ie: his admiration for the military).  He is supposedly a registered Democrat.  

Third, I cannot fathom Belichick allowing anyone to READ a letter he wrote to a third party; Belichick is intently private (some would say secretive... others would say Tywin-esque).  Supposedly, the fire-wall of privacy extends to people who are actually friends of his: Lenny Clarke, the stand-up comedian and ersatz-actor, supposedly responds to interview requests about Belichick by asking, "Did Bill say this was okay," and if he does not get a 'yes' he politely declines to comment.  Belichick will talk your ear off about football, and may talk a little about other sports, but nothing else.  He rarely gives opinions on anything besides a sport.  

Fourth, DONALD TRUMP HAS INCENTIVE TO LIE! Right now, States locked into blue or leaning heavy blue give Hillary ... 274 Electoral Votes... ah, she only needs 270. Therefore, for Trump to have a CHANCE here he needs to flip a couple of blue states EVEN BEFORE he runs the table on the battle ground states (Arizona, Ohio, Iowa, North Carolina and Florida). So, this was his deep pass. And in his mind... I bet he does not think he's lying. I bet Brady said something to him like, "You're great; you ran an amazing campaign;" and then - if you believe he'll vote for Trump - added in, "I am going to vote for you on Tuesday." But Tuesday is not Monday night.

And Fifth, Trump SHOULD know that neither Brady or Belichick is likely to issue a denial; they would both likely answer "No comment" or "Going to discuss football and Seattle, not something like elections."  So, its a safe bet to just spew something nobody is going to remember in 2 days. 

So, no I don't think Brady (as of Monday night) voted for Trump and I don't think Belichick wrote that note.  

Oh, and fucking Rex Ryan endorsed Trump and spoke at a rally for Trump. Go pick on that ignorant, overrated swill-pile.  I don't think Belichick would want to associated with somebody who would associate with ... Rex Ryan.    

54 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

@Jaime L

I just want to respond to your comments here and let you know that I am a registered Democrat and have been all my life.  As a child I was on of FOUR kids on my 4th grade class to vote for Mondale over Reagan.  While I have supported GOP candidates, they have all been local; I have been involved heavily in electing Elizabeth Warren as Senator in Massachusetts (my state, obviously) where I was a poll-watcher for her campaign as well as part of her volunteer legal team (sounds much more impressive than it is; just means they call me if there needs to be an emergency legal case filed if somebody has wrongly been kept from voting).

So, understand that my opinion on this is HORRIBLY slanted to my view on this issue. 

Okay.

Trump is lying. 

That's a hot-take, huh? The lying liar who lies lied?  

He's lying. 

First, on Monday, I listed to Brady's radio interview where he said he had not voted yet.  Massachusetts had early voting but it ended Friday; (and absentee balloting ended a few weeks earlier) but Mass has no early voting Monday so if Trump said that Brady voted for him Monday night ... somebody is lying. 

Second, Giselle was asked "Does your family support Trump?" and responded, "No."  Now, I don't doubt that Giselle carries a lot of weight in that family, but I doubt that she can keep Brady from voting for Trump.  But I don't think that as of Monday night he voted for Trump, and I think its still possible he won't vote for Trump. 

Third, while Brady is prone to lying about certain things, if Brady's goal is not to attract attention to him or his vote DURING the election, he could accomplish the same thing by just saying, "I'll announce who I voted for after the election," which is what he did in the radio interview.  He did not have to say "I have not voted yet."  He could just say "I voted but I won't reveal it until next week.  He had no incentive to lie about this. 

Brady is from California, a traditionally liberal state.  While it does possess enclaves of GOP support (Orange County), its a very blue state. Statistically, Brady is likely connected to that blue-side of the state.  Yes, he had that hat and Trump has been in the Kraft ownership suite, but that's at best circumstantial evidence.  Its hardly an endorsement. 

If there is ONE thing that bothers me about Brady and his possible right-leaning ties is that he did not show up to the White House for the last Superbowl, the only SB Brady would have gone to with a Democratic President.  Local fans will recall that Bruins Goalie Tim Thomas did not attend the White House ceremony with Obama and stated that it was PRECISELY because he did not respect Obama (... great ...), but Brady?  This seems a little strange.  Still, its not an endorsement of Trump.  

This brings us to Belichick which, I think, is easier than Brady to disprove.

For starters, the note sounds like it was written by somebody NOT named Bill Belichick who keeps most his comments very brief, even when he's speaking right to them.  IN the inaugural, "A Football Life" Belichick speaks to Russ Frances and while effusive, his commentary is contained; same thing when he leaves a message for then Red Sox manager Terry Francona congratulating him on his Playoff birth.  Nothing long and flowing as the letter sent to Trump.  

Secondly, Belichick is a true non-conformist; he does not lean red even though he has some traditionally right-leaning sentiments (ie: his admiration for the military).  He is supposedly a registered Democrat.  

Third, I cannot fathom Belichick allowing anyone to READ a letter he wrote to a third party; Belichick is intently private (some would say secretive... others would say Tywin-esque).  Supposedly, the fire-wall of privacy extends to people who are actually friends of his: Lenny Clarke, the stand-up comedian and ersatz-actor, supposedly responds to interview requests about Belichick by asking, "Did Bill say this was okay," and if he does not get a 'yes' he politely declines to comment.  Belichick will talk your ear off about football, and may talk a little about other sports, but nothing else.  He rarely gives opinions on anything besides a sport.  

Fourth, DONALD TRUMP HAS INCENTIVE TO LIE! Right now, States locked into blue or leaning heavy blue give Hillary ... 274 Electoral Votes... ah, she only needs 270. Therefore, for Trump to have a CHANCE here he needs to flip a couple of blue states EVEN BEFORE he runs the table on the battle ground states (Arizona, Ohio, Iowa, North Carolina and Florida). So, this was his deep pass. And in his mind... I bet he does not think he's lying. I bet Brady said something to him like, "You're great; you ran an amazing campaign;" and then - if you believe he'll vote for Trump - added in, "I am going to vote for you on Tuesday." But Tuesday is not Monday night.

And Fifth, Trump SHOULD know that neither Brady or Belichick is likely to issue a denial; they would both likely answer "No comment" or "Going to discuss football and Seattle, not something like elections."  So, its a safe bet to just spew something nobody is going to remember in 2 days. 

So, no I don't think Brady (as of Monday night) voted for Trump and I don't think Belichick wrote that note.  

Oh, and fucking Rex Ryan endorsed Trump and spoke at a rally for Trump. Go pick on that ignorant, overrated swill-pile.  I don't think Belichick would want to associated with somebody who would associate with ... Rex Ryan.    

And this is why pro athletes can get away with anything so long as they're good. Their fans will justify anything in their own minds.

9 minutes ago, sperry said:

And this is why pro athletes can get away with anything so long as they're good. Their fans will justify anything in their own minds.

Yeah, like how New England fans stuck by Aaron Hernandez... No, wait. Or how we embraced Tim Thomas when he went off on Obama. No, wait... 

22 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Yeah, like how New England fans stuck by Aaron Hernandez... No, wait. Or how we embraced Tim Thomas when he went off on Obama. No, wait... 

Is Tim Thomas still in his doom bunker in Michigan or does he know longer believe in the impending apocalypse? 

22 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

LOL.  It took true conviction to abandon Aaron Hernandez after he was caught executing his friend because that friend could implicate him in a different double homicide.

5 minutes ago, sperry said:

LOL.  It took true conviction to abandon Aaron Hernandez after he was caught executing his friend because that friend could implicate him in a different double homicide.

Most of us, including the team, were done with him before he even got arrested.

If you want to bang on people for coddling and glorifying reprobates, go shit on Ravens fans for the Ray Lewis statue or the Giants for their amazingly hypocritical sheltering of Josh Brown. If you want to keep talking about Hernandez, go yell at the Pouncey brothers, who sported "Free Hernandez" caps long after the questions were settled.

Anyway, I thought you said that good pro athletes could get away with anything? Or once again, did you just say something fucking stupid, on par with your prediction that Marshawn Lynch would get a worse league punishment for non-cooperation at the Super Bowl than the Patriots got for Ballghazi?

3 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Until Belichick admits on video that he supports Trump, I will deny that he does.

Also, his letter of support would be something more like, "I hereby endorse DJT for P USA."

It's being confirmed that he did in fact write a letter. It doesn't say he wrote the specific letter Trump read out loud but he did write something to Trump.

9 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It's being confirmed that he did in fact write a letter. It doesn't say he wrote the specific letter Trump read out loud but he did write something to Trump.

I read somewhere on twitter that it was confirmed. But I'll continue to deny it until Belichick himself admits it.

18 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Most of us, including the team, were done with him before he even got arrested.

If you want to bang on people for coddling and glorifying reprobates, go shit on Ravens fans for the Ray Lewis statue or the Giants for their amazingly hypocritical sheltering of Josh Brown. If you want to keep talking about Hernandez, go yell at the Pouncey brothers, who sported "Free Hernandez" caps long after the questions were settled.

Anyway, I thought you said that good pro athletes could get away with anything? Or once again, did you just say something fucking stupid, on par with your prediction that Marshawn Lynch would get a worse league punishment for non-cooperation at the Super Bowl than the Patriots got for Ballghazi?

I am happy to shit on the Ravens and Giants, and have repeatedly done so. Pouncey's are pieces of trash as well.

I was certainly wrong about Marshawn Lynch/ Deflategate. Not sure what that has to do with the price of tea in China, though.

Again, this is about Rockroi contorting himself like a pretzel to deny that his sports heroes would do something unpalatable (in this case endorsing one Donald J. Trump for president). And fans always tend to do this, and it's why players get away with what they do. It's not unique to the Patriots.

http://deadspin.com/report-bill-belichick-did-write-that-letter-to-donald-1788696859

Because the letter was so drenched in Trump-speak—the use of “tremendous” is probably the clearest tell—and because Trump has a history of exaggerating and/or inventing support from prominent sports figures, it made sense to reserve some doubt.

But CSN New England reports this morning, in somewhat vague language, that Belichick “did indeed drop a note to Donald Trump on Monday,” and that Trump later “read the Belichick letter onstage,” implying that Belichick’s note and the text Trump read are one and the same.

Why do we care about this again? 

Man this election is just fucking with my head. I live in Texas so every time I have polite interaction with polite old white guy or any white guy with a 'blue collar' accent, I can't help but think in the back of my head, "this guy is probably a Trump supporter."

12 minutes ago, sperry said:

Again, this is about Rockroi contorting himself like a pretzel to deny that his sports heroes would do something unpalatable (in this case endorsing one Donald J. Trump for president). And fans always tend to do this, and it's why players get away with what they do. It's not unique to the Patriots.

But no one is trying to explain why they are okay with the idea of Belichick or Brady endorsing Trump. It's hard for me to believe they have done so, merely because they are so carefully anodyne and unmemorable with their public actions.

If the reports are true that Belichick did send a note to Trump (what has been read out still doesn't sound like him) I'll just take it as another brick in my long road away from giving a shit about the NFL.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Does Trump not understand that most NFL fans hate Belichick? So not only did he throw his friend under the bus, he probably hurt himself while doing it. 

He was at a rally in New Hampshire, so it at least fit the local crowd. An improvement for him, since he once tried to brag about Brady... in Pittsburgh.

38 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

He was at a rally in New Hampshire, so it at least fit the local crowd. An improvement for him, since he once tried to brag about Brady... in Pittsburgh.

It was still a back stab move.

Archived