College Football 2016 - Cracks in the Golden Dome

Rhom

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

You can always look at this year as the 1st step to something bigger. Most of the year you felt WVU was not receiving respect, should have been ranked higher, when really in the end it looks like they were ranked just about right. This loss can be used as a building block of an unfinished season. Would be nice to see the Big12 back to being a more respected conference. The B1G 10 went through a lot of years recently where it was OSU or nobody. To me college football is better when each conference has two or three teams who you feel is capable of winning it all or could win on any given day against anyone.

Exactly. Yea, we got the shit kicked out of us. But, 90% of that falls back on having a below average QB. In turn, leaves our defense in the field way too long. Next year, with a lot of experience and key pieces coming back and finally a real QB, we'll be a more complete team.

By the way...is the "SEC is the best conference" narrative finally dead?  They are a 1 team conference at this point.  They're 1-5 (I think) in bowls this year.  The ACC is something like 17-12 against them in the last 3 years.  Yes, Alabama is still a juggernaut...but the rest is decidedly average (which may inflate Alabama's perception...we'll see).

7 hours ago, HokieStone said:

We'll see...we'll see.  But if I end up going, I'm going to make sure to stay out of the bathrooms...

http://www.tmz.com/2016/12/29/miami-west-virginia-bathroom-fight-bowl-game-video/

I seen that. I've been to away games and not felt very safe. Against South Florida in 07 or 08, was the worst. Yet, I must admit it gets pretty bad in Morgantown sometimes. I've witnessed oranges being thrown at Syracuse fans from balconies on the hill to the stadium. And once we gave refuge to a OSU fan who ventured into The Pit (where all the students hang out and get drunk, my buddy lived in apartments right beside it) late into the game while we was taking a whooping. He was lost and couldn't find his group, he spent the night with us and thanked us a 100 times. I admit there are some bad fans at WVU games, 99% Are just there for a good time and will treat anyone with respect everytime. That shit is embarrassing. 

11 hours ago, HokieStone said:

By the way...is the "SEC is the best conference" narrative finally dead?  They are a 1 team conference at this point.  They're 1-5 (I think) in bowls this year.  The ACC is something like 17-12 against them in the last 3 years.  Yes, Alabama is still a juggernaut...but the rest is decidedly average (which may inflate Alabama's perception...we'll see).

Yep, with 5-7 Mississippi State being the SEC's lone win so far.  Through last night:

SEC: 1-4 (7 teams yet to play)
ACC:  5-1 (5)
B1G: 2-2 (6)
P12: 1-1 (4)
Big 12: 2-1 (3)

18 hours ago, sperry said:

Arkansas Tight End Jeremy Sprinkle was suspended from the Belk Bowl... for shoplifting at Belk.

He'll go to the Raiders and become wealthy enough to own a few Belks, ala "Neon Deon" theiving a Dilliards a few decades ago? Shit like this just makes everyone groan, if I could coach that kid he'd be running "stadium stairs (snakes)" till he pukes for months!

OU had a star defensive tackle sent home from the Fiesta Bowl about a decade ago for stealing a coat from Burlington Coat Factory. Stoops sent him home on a Greyhound :laugh: . He then had his career ended by a cheap shot by two offensive linemen on Tyrone Willingham's 0-12 Washington team.

Speaking of which, I think there's a decent case to be made that Tyrone Willingham is the worst coach in the history of college football. He went 0-12 at Washington.  That's pretty hard to wrap your head around.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Shit like this just makes everyone groan, if I could coach that kid he'd be running "stadium stairs (snakes)" till he pukes for months!

Well, he was a senior, so he's out of eligibility, and apparently one of the top rated TEs in the upcoming draft.  So, once they dismissed him from the game...not much more they can do.

In a crossover that would appeal to this board...I was just driving home from work, and had the radio tuned to Espn, which is covering the Music City Bowl.  The commentator - Anish Shroff, I think - talking about the Tennessee QB said "he's as sharp as Valyrian Steel".  It caught me off guard for a second....

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Speaking of which, I think there's a decent case to be made that Tyrone Willingham is the worst coach in the history of college football. He went 0-12 at Washington.  That's pretty hard to wrap your head around.

Something that was remarkable about that 0-12 Husky team was that they lost their final game to a Wazzu team that was even worse.  A Hitler tribute was made.  

25 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Harbaugh calling his last two timeouts with 12 seconds left on the clock cements him firmly as a top of the line douchewad. Can't wait to see how sour his grapes are in his post game presser.

Ha, fuck him. How about the camera going to his reactions all game? They must have showed him a good 35 times.

That was a awesome game though. I was yelling for Gavin to just get down, so he breaks a tackle and goes like 65 yards. Francois definitely looked like a freshman tonight, but the kid is legit and I'm excited to have him for a few more seasons. A good way to end the year and I'm glad Cook and Walker had huge games. I'm gonna miss those dudes. 

Game day is finally here!  Woke up at 7am and thought "4 hours til kickoff" and there was pretty much no sleeping in after that.  I don't often have beer for breakfast, but when I do, it's for an 11am kickoff and UK's first bowl game in 6 years.  

GO CATS!  BEAT TECH! 

You guys think Peppers just pulled a Fournette without having the balls to actually do it? Leonard Fournette just ruined CF for me. I'm gonna be really upset if this becomes a trend. All these great players sitting out bowl games for risk of an injury. I mean, I can see how their protecting their wealth, but come on, you have to make it through 3 years of football and show durability to be considered a true first rounder. Many a player has dropped because of injury throughout their career. 

Archived