College Football 2016 - Cracks in the Golden Dome

Rhom

Incredible game.  I know think Darnold is a big pro prospect.  His arm strength is better than I realized and plenty good, and his vision, instincts and accuracy are great.  And this was his first action in college this year.  Not sure there's a QB in college I'd take over him if I had one game to win tomorrow.  

Penn State was very impressive with stuffing Ronald Jones up for the most part and a lot of tight coverage in the secondary.  McSorley had many positive plays but a few huge mistakes.

Man that was a hellishly fun fourth quarter to watch.

am I correct that overturning the results of a pile up (on the flimsy evidence of a hand scrabbling haphazardly at a ball before the pileup) has never been done before in the pros or in college? That was just stunningly bizarre to me on a more curiosity level of pileup never being overturned than anger or disbelief. Just bizarre.

Man it's a shame Alabama is too cowardly to schedule home and home in their ooc games, I'd love to open next years season with USC Alabama even if the existence of such a game is probably bad for the playoff prospects of both teams.

1 hour ago, lokisnow said:

Man that was a hellishly fun fourth quarter to watch.

am I correct that overturning the results of a pile up (on the flimsy evidence of a hand scrabbling haphazardly at a ball before the pileup) has never been done before in the pros or in college? That was just stunningly bizarre to me on a more curiosity level of pileup never being overturned than anger or disbelief. Just bizarre.

Man it's a shame Alabama is too cowardly to schedule home and home in their ooc games, I'd love to open next years season with USC Alabama even if the existence of such a game is probably bad for the playoff prospects of both teams.

It's not a matter of cowardice, tehy're gaming the system for recruiting. They play those games in Southern cities with a bunch of football talent every year, usually Dallas or Houston. Gets them in front of the Texas talent. And then they complain when other schools host camps in southern states during the offseason.

1 minute ago, sperry said:

It's not a matter of cowardice, tehy're gaming the system for recruiting. They play those games in Southern cities with a bunch of football talent every year, usually Dallas or Houston. Gets them in front of the Texas talent.

Yup, Saban uses every advantage he can get. Can't knock him for that.

Your boy Mayfield is balling in this Sugar Bowl.

7 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Yup, Saban uses every advantage he can get. Can't knock him for that.

Your boy Mayfield is balling in this Sugar Bowl.

He's having a nice game. Auburn can't throw the ball, so they couldn't exploit OU's weaknesses in the secondary.  Disappointing that there wasn't a good second team from the SEC to give a better matchup for this game. Still, will always take a bowl win.

11 hours ago, lokisnow said:

I have never seen anything like it.  I don't watch as much college football as pro, but in the NFL I've seen recoveries that were a lot more probable than that which didn't get overturned on review.  How many times have we seen a football player fall on the ball, seemingly to have it for sure, only to have it squirt out?  Just crazy to assume a guy definitely has it, just because his hand is on the ball.  It was a stunning break for PSU to get that call reversed. 

It was a good game.  Always nice to see Penn State lose in gut wrenching fashion, I hope it continues for another century. 

The Big Ten really sold the narrative that they were back this year, based on limited evidence in the early year.  In the end, only two of those wins are particularly impressive - Ohio State over Oklahoma and Michigan over Colorado.  Wins over LSU, Oregon and ND sounded good at the time, but in the end were nothing special.   The Bowl season went terribly for them, the only decent Big 10 team to win was Wisconsin over Central Michigan. 

Sincere congratulations to Clemson.  

That said as a fan of the University of South Carolina we, the fans of the University of South Carolina sports teams, expect to have Clemson's second national championship rubbed in our (collective) faces until the day we've died.

Now that the season's over, and Clemson is the national champion over the great hope that was Alabama of the SEC... we can finally put the long and heated debate to rest, and conclude that yes, the ACC is the best conference in football right now Lane Kiffin has been the secret to Saban's success!  

:P

Yea, no. The ACC bowl record outside of Clemson was 5-4 (i believe). Florida State is a perennial contender and always will be. I'd like to think Dabo has really built a program at Clemson, but we'll see next year how much of their success rested on #4 shoulders (i think a whole lot of it). 

I mean I don't even know how you can set and say this conference is the best or that one is. Just because the team who won the NC is from that conf doesnt mean a thing. Its what was so frustrating about all of the S-E-C!!!!!! B.S. for so long.

13 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Yea, no. The ACC bowl record outside of Clemson was 5-4 (i believe). Florida State is a perennial contender and always will be. I'd like to think Dabo has really built a program at Clemson, but we'll see next year how much of their success rested on #4 shoulders (i think a whole lot of it). 

I mean I don't even know how you can set and say this conference is the best or that one is. Just because the team who won the NC is from that conf doesnt mean a thing. Its what was so frustrating about all of the S-E-C!!!!!! B.S. for so long.

The SEC's dominance rests, recently, on Alabama's shoulders.  LSU, Auburn, and Florida are nothing to sneeze at but Alabama is the monster in the SEC.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The SEC's dominance rests, recently, on Alabama's shoulders.  LSU, Auburn, and Florida are nothing to sneeze at but Alabama is the monster in the SEC.

Yea, I understand that. Talking top to bottom who has the best conf. A lot of the years the SEC won the NC the Conf as a whole wasn't dominate top to bottom. Neither is the ACC this year. I just dont get why there is even a thing about who the best conf is. If you go by bowl games the BIGXII was 5-1, but that doesn't mean their the best conf. Hell, we wasn't even represented in the CFP.

1 minute ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Yea, I understand that. Talking top to bottom who has the best conf. A lot of the years the SEC won the NC the Conf as a whole wasn't dominate top to bottom. Neither is the ACC this year. I just dont get why there is even a thing about who the best conf is. If you go by bowl games the BIGXII was 5-1, but that doesn't mean their the best conf. Hell, we wasn't even represented in the CFP.

The playoffs need more than 4 teams. :)

Archived