Rothfuss XII: The Doors of Twitch

scortius the charioteer

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I've met the man.  He may be lazy but in person he is anything but a "giant asshole".

I've compared him to Kvothe many times. Kvothe is a giant asshole even if he has good traits. You may have met him in person, but his words online are just as relevant in assessing his behaviour.

4 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I've compared him to Kvothe many times. Kvothe is a giant asshole even if he has good traits. You may have met him in person, but his words online are just as relevant in assessing his behaviour.

Proudfeet,

No.  A person as a human being who is warm flesh and blood sitting across from you engaging in normal human interactions is very different from someone engaging in discourse online.  There are so many things lost in text interactions that cannot translate.  No, the internet is not and cannot be a substitute for meeting someone in person.

38 minutes ago, Triskan said:

I can't help but think of Bakker here.  Lots of people have taken issue with his online persona while I've only heard he's great in person.

I was just thinking the same thing.

And hell as much as Rothfuss pisses me off, he's no Vox Day, that's for sure. :P

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Proudfeet,

No.  A person as a human being who is warm flesh and blood sitting across from you engaging in normal human interactions is very different from someone engaging in discourse online.  There are so many things lost in text interactions that cannot translate.  No, the internet is not and cannot be a substitute for meeting someone in person.

I disagree. Tone not coming across well online does not absolve him. Maybe he behaves like Kote in real life, but as long as he behaves like Kvothe online, I'm going to use that. You have to own your behaviour online as well.

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Proudfeet,

While I do agree that online communication frequently causes misunderstandings, it is also true that some people show their true colors when online.

I'm not saying Rothfuss is one or the other, just stating my general opinion.

2 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

I disagree. Tone not coming across well online does not absolve him. Maybe he behaves like Kote in real life, but as long as he behaves like Kvothe online, I'm going to use that. You have to own your behaviour online as well.

You are missing my point.  Normal human interactions cannot translate in blog or message board posts the way a real life conversation can.  Humans evolved to speak face to face.  The substitution of a wall of text for a genuine coversation without the formality of "letter writting" is very new to our social evolution.  As such is it still very much in flux and difficult to pin down.  Therefore, attempting to claim that internet interactions can be on the same level and convey the same degree of information about an individual is simply not true, at least not yet.

4 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

While I generally agree with the sentiment of this thread, that the man is a tool, I'm also kind of starting to agree with @Ser Scot A Ellison it's a little silly that this has basically turned into a "Bash Rothfuss" thread. Not that I don't love me a good bashing... and not that I haven't taken part myself here a bit. But maybe we should have separate threads for discussing Rothfuss and discussing the KKC? At this point it just feels gratuitous.

In fairness, the author himself could give us something to talk about by, ya know, making some progress on the book he's supposed to be writing.

Well, its not just the non progress, its the constant updates to his blog/whatever where he brags about non progress. IF he just wanted to stream games all day and NOT talk about the book it would be fine.

Well he also has a somewhat uh, large Kayne like ego. That doesn't help either.

4 hours ago, Slick Mongoose said:

It's a shame because these used to be some of the best discussions on the forum. But all the people who liked talking about the books have been successfully driven off.

Or they talked themselves all out because it's more than six years since the last novel was released?

17 hours ago, Slick Mongoose said:

Partly, but the Reddit is still pretty active, featuring several of the people who used to post here.

I get downvoted there all the time because of my opinions ( which are fairly timid compared to what some people say here) regarding the series and the author.Nothing however can compare with the fanatics at the "Kingkiller Chronicles" Facebook group... Hell the first rule there is bashing Rothfuss = insta ban.

1 hour ago, redeagl said:

I get downvoted there all the time because of my opinions ( which are fairly timid compared to what some people say here) regarding the series and the author.Nothing however can compare with the fanatics at the "Kingkiller Chronicles" Facebook group... Hell the first rule there is bashing Rothfuss = insta ban.

Not surprising. Take this thread and substitute the word Martin for Rothfuss and see how quick we all get banned. 

1 hour ago, unJon said:

Not surprising. Take this thread and substitute the word Martin for Rothfuss and see how quick we all get banned. 

Give Martin 5% of the crap that's been given to Rothfuss in this thread and the previous incarnations in 2016 and at the very least your post is deleted and the thread closed. Massive double standard there, and there really shouldn't be, even on an ASOIAF forum IMO.

Which is not to say that a lot of the criticism of Rothfuss here, hasn't been deserved.

Archived