U.S. Politics: Feelings Trump Facts

Tywin et al.

11 minutes ago, mormont said:

You've admitted that in fact, hyperbole isn't futile and ineffective, so we're in agreement on that much. Your insight appears to be limited to saying that just like anything else, it's effective when it's effective and it's not when it's not.

No, not really. My point was that the hyperbolic descriptions of Trump and his team weren't effective during the campaign so it surprises me that the anti-Trump propagandists would continue trying to use them (in this case, against Sessions).

Obamacare repeal's doomsday scenario
Shocks to the $3 trillion-a-year health system could send ripples through the entire economy.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/obamacare-repeal-doomsday-233335

The Republicans Trying to Slow Down Obamacare Repeal
GOP Governors John Kasich of Ohio and Rick Snyder of Michigan urge lawmakers to protect the Medicaid expansions they say are working in their states.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/the-republicans-trying-to-slow-down-obamacare-repeal/512459/

Most major bills get passed and then over the course of time get tweaked through passing other legislation. The Affordable Healthcare Act was past imperfectly with the assumption that it would get tweaked once enacted. So of course the bill hasn’t worked as wanted because it was supposed Congress was expected to smooth out the bumpy patches. 

Anyone who thinks it will be easier to repeal and replace over looks how hard getting Obamacare enacted was. The fact that Republican’s aren’t even considering other health care legislation that they offered up when Obamacare was being crafted really underlines the fact that GOP knew that those bills were never going to do what they said that they would. If it gets repealed it won’t get replaced with anything. The best path is to take the framework that currently exists and pass legislation to make it better. When everything is said and done I think that is the route they will take.

I have a question that might sound silly but honestly I do not know. So the President-elect (whom I will not name so I do not give him the luxury of free advertising and attention which he craves) said during the election first that he wants to ban all Muslims from entering the United States. Then he adjusted that to just people from countries where there is a high rate of terrorism. 

I come from a Indonesia which might fit the category of what he is talking about. I have an American tourist visa that is valid until the summer of 2019. Could my visa be revoked and hence blocking any future trip to the states I plan on taking? I asked some visiting Americans (who did not vote for the President-elect) and they said that they do not know.

13 hours ago, karaddin said:

I generally have concerns about depersonalisation of people (like abusive husbands - no 'real mean' would do that etc) being used to excuse most people from examining their own behaviour, but I really don't think that concern is remotely applicable with calling Trump names. I've got more than enough fear on behalf of you and all my other friends in similarly dangerous circumstances with what is going on, the reality of being in it must be so much worse. Your fears are entirely rational and reasonable, its fucking terrifying <3

It's sobering to realize how much I and those closest to me stand to lose. It reminds me just how privileged I am.  

9 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I wanted to chime in with the strongest possible "HALLELUJAH!!!" to this. 

When you call this alleged President elect an orange shit stain, you are speaking for millions, that not only support you, we cheer you. Never, ever, ever stop. He has earned, and deserves every letter of that moniker.

Can I get an amen!

But really, juvenile as it may be, for many this the only way they have to feel sane and not as hopeless.

1 hour ago, Ordos said:

I have a question that might sound silly but honestly I do not know. So the President-elect (whom I will not name so I do not give him the luxury of free advertising and attention which he craves) said during the election first that he wants to ban all Muslims from entering the United States. Then he adjusted that to just people from countries where there is a high rate of terrorism. 

I come from a Indonesia which might fit the category of what he is talking about. I have an American tourist visa that is valid until the summer of 2019. Could my visa be revoked and hence blocking any future trip to the states I plan on taking? I asked some visiting Americans (who did not vote for the President-elect) and they said that they do not know.

I think the answer across the board would be "I don't know".  Policy has merely been suggested via tweet or campaign speech.  And even then that policy keeps changing.  I don't think anyone will know until official policy is proposed in congress or an executive order is signed.  

If I knew nothing about the actions/statements of Trump prior to being elected and only knew what actions he had taken since, I would be extremely optimistic and pleased. 

It's a weird dynamic. He's a man of low character who says a lot of dumb shit, but I'm happy with most of what he's done since being elected (appointments, likely policy priorities, etc.)

Lends credence to the idea Pence is running the show.  

20 minutes ago, Commodore said:

If I knew nothing about the actions/statements of Trump prior to being elected and only knew what actions he had taken since, I would be extremely optimistic and pleased. 

It's a weird dynamic. He's a man of low character who says a lot of dumb shit, but I'm happy with most of what he's done since being elected (appointments, likely policy priorities, etc.)

Lends credence to the idea Pence is running the show.  

Which actions, priorities and appointments in specifics?    

Also, why does pence running the show fill you with confidence?    Are you that eager to spend tax money burying miscarriages and using conversion therapy to cure the gay?

Trumps choices are pretty much exactly what you'd expect based on his campaign.  

I don't think anyone is surprised that you are pleased by them considering you advocate for the worst possible things that will harm the most possible people.  Cheering on something terrible is what you do.  

10 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

Which actions, priorities and appointments in specifics?    

EPA administrator, REINS Act, his tax plan, likely SCOTUS appointment

Also, why does pence running the show fill you with confidence?    Are you that eager to spend tax money burying miscarriages and using conversion therapy to cure the gay?

I don't see any evidence of these issues being considered at the federal level. 

16 minutes ago, Commodore said:

EPA administrator, REINS Act, his tax plan, likely SCOTUS appointment

I don't see any evidence of these issues being considered at the federal level. 

Commodore,

If Pence advocated using state funds to bury miscarried babies and us "conversion therapy" to "cure" homosexuals why wouldn't he push that on the Federal level?

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Commodore,

If Pence advocated using state funds to bury miscarried babies and us "conversion therapy" to "cure" homosexuals why wouldn't he push that on the Federal level?

Because he's a federalist. 

Bobby Jindal identifies the problem with ACA

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/how-to-drain-the-health-care-swamp-214611

Insurance companies increasingly resemble regulated utilities, offering only the veneer of private sector choice and competition, while federal bureaucrats dictate product design and pricing. Just as customers were allowed to buy any color Model T they wanted, as long as they wanted black, Americans today are allowed to buy any health insurance product they want, as long as they want what the federal government allows them to have. Providers are increasingly merging to achieve the economies of scale necessary to comply with increasingly complex federal regulations. Innovation and competition are stifled as big businesses and big government become interdependent in yet another example of crony capitalism. The unintended consequences have included skyrocketing premiums, decreased plan choice and limited provider networks.

2 minutes ago, Commodore said:

Well, he's right about the problem, but his answer isn't.  The answer is to treat it like an actual utility and remove it from the private sector altogether.  

11 minutes ago, Commodore said:

LOL. "Sky rocketing" premiums.

Because sky rocketing premiums wasn't a problem before the ACA. And because there is a solid empirical case here that the ACA made things worse.

Selling more conservative horseshit I see.,

Golly, nobody understands basic Microeconomic 101 principles accept for conservatives.

13 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

Can you elaborate on why you are pleased with these choices?

EPA Administrator - creation of new rules will be far less, and interpretation of existing rules has been too broad (if you have a pond in your backyard they claim authority over it). I'm against administrative rules in principle because they should be voted on rather than decreed.

REINS Act - this is a big one, requires congressional approval of any major rule. Had it been in place most of Obama policy would never have been implemented, as he did it largely through executive agencies. Also requires 10 percent of existing rules to be submitted to Congress for a vote each year for ten years (i.e. every existing regulation), if the rule doesn't pass, it dies. That's a crushing blow to the leviathan administrative state. Also requires any new regulation to be offset by removing regulations of equivalent impact. 

Tax plan - lowering personal rates is great (Reagan and Kennedy both did it), but the business tax rate cut is the big one. Will make us the best country to do business.

SCOTUS - the list he says he will choose from all contains strong originalist judges in the Scalia mold

14 minutes ago, Commodore said:

EPA Administrator - creation of new rules will be far less, and interpretation of existing rules has been too broad (if you have a pond in your backyard they claim authority over it). I'm against administrative rules in principle because they should be voted on rather than decreed.

REINS Act - this is a big one, requires congressional approval of any major rule. Had it been in place most of Obama policy would never have been implemented, as he did it largely through executive agencies. Also requires 10 percent of existing rules to be submitted to Congress for a vote each year for ten years (i.e. every existing regulation), if the rule doesn't pass, it dies. That's a crushing blow to the leviathan administrative state. Also requires any new regulation to be offset by removing regulations of equivalent impact. 

Tax plan - lowering personal rates is great (Reagan and Kennedy both did it), but the business tax rate cut is the big one. Will make us the best country to do business.

SCOTUS - the list he says he will choose from all contains strong originalist judges in the Scalia mold

Why do you think Trump will pick someone in the Scalia mold rather than someone who is personally loyal to him, who then has a lifetime appointment to the SCOTUS?

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why do you think Trump will pick someone in the Scalia mold rather than someone who is personally loyal to him, who then has a lifetime appointment to the SCOTUS?

I don't expect him to deviate from his list, as it would antagonize a large chunk of his supporters (some who reluctantly voted for him because of SCOTUS) for little political benefit

20 minutes ago, Commodore said:

I don't expect him to deviate from his list, as it would antagonize a large chunk of his supporters (some who reluctantly voted for him because of SCOTUS) for little political benefit

What has Trump done to suggest he gives a crap about his "constituants"?

Archived