U.S. Politics: Feelings Trump Facts

Tywin et al.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Dr.P,

I'm uncomfortable with people claiming horrible human beings aren't human.  It doesn't lead to good places.

Where does it lead?  A wormhole to another world?  

We're on a forum for a book series.  We aren't affecting anything by calling a scumbag an orange stain thing.  

I'm personally not comfortable with people trying to normalize the monster that is Trump.  It doesn't lead to good things.  Like, ya know, VOTING IN THE FILTH THAT IS TRUMP AND NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES FOR 90% OF THE POPULATION.

Just now, Dr. Pepper said:

We're on a forum for a book series.  We aren't affecting anything by calling a scumbag an orange stain thing.  

I don't care for dehumanizing anyone.  I think Trump sucks but he's human.  I think it is wrong to dehumanize anyone.  I think it implies, deliberately or not, those we dehuumanize are not worthy of life and as such are open to anything.

If you disagree that's fine but that is why I don't like referring to people I disagree with as "it", "thing, or "inhuman".

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm personally not comfortable with people trying to normalize the monster that is Trump.  It doesn't lead to good things.  Like, ya know, VOTING IN THE FILTH THAT IS TRUMP AND NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES FOR 90% OF THE POPULATION.

I guess calling Trump an 'Orange shit stain' and other insults can fly, but don't call him a 'thing'!  That's just wrong!  LOL, I'm calling him the Orange Shit Thing from now on. 

2 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I guess calling Trump an 'Orange shit stain' and other insults can fly, but don't call him a 'thing'!  That's just wrong!  LOL, I'm calling him the Orange Shit Thing from now on. 

Just don't call the Orange Shit Thing an "Inhuman".  That term is reserved for my comic book tv show heroes.  

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Just don't call the Orange Shit Thing an "Inhuman".  That term is reserved for my comic book tv show heroes.  

OK, but I do reserve the right to call the Orange Shit Thing inhumane, because he is.

2 minutes ago, LongRider said:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f0/d6/f5/f0d6f51a48367bdf9cee055b467879df.jpg

Take that back or it's CLOBBERIN' TIME! 

Just now, LongRider said:

OK, but I do reserve the right to call the Orange Shit Thing inhumane, because he is.

But, of course.

I'm sure this has already been posted, but it's just so hilarious I'll post again even if it has.

Mitch McConnell tells the Dems to "grow up" and consider the Orange Shit Thing's nominations.  

McConnell suggested the complaints amounted to sour grapes from a party that did poorly in the 2016 congressional and presidential elections.

How is this even real life?

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

McConnell suggested the complaints amounted to sour grapes from a party that did poorly in the 2016 congressional and presidential elections.

How is this even real life?

Somebody better call the DC Whaaaaaaaaaambulance because those crocodile tears McConnell is shedding are spilling all over his suit.

Just now, LongRider said:

Somebody better call the DC Whaaaaaaaaaambulance because those crocodile tears McConnell is shedding are spilling all over his suit.

I'd love someone to take his 2009 letter to congressional democrats and shove it into his face. I'm so tired of the hypocrisy.

And he can get away with it because his electorate doesn't care.  They feel he has no hypocrisy and they feel he didn't try the same damn thing so their feelings are their truth and they'll just vote for him over and over again (until we're lucky enough for him to retire into obscurity). 

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

It's not polite to dehumanize the PEOTUS after he spent the last 16 months dehumanizing every minority and disenfranchised group of people telling it like it is as an anti-PC culture hero.

5 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

What do you mean by destroying it and starting from scratch? Giving up on liberal Democracy? Calling a constitutional convention? I'd agree both these things are impossible. But it sounds pretty nihilistic to never get outraged over political policies or appointments. If I was strongly advocating for Sessions as AG would you tell me similar? That my outrage about those opposing Sessions is absurd, since we should scrap the entire system anyway?

No, not liberal democracy -- merely the patchwork of positive and negative discrimination based on race, class and gender. It's a utopian ideal. If you were advocating for Sessions with the same intensity as that article advocates against him, then yes, I would tell you similar. This is not about which side of history or justice or whatever, it's about power. Speaking in hyperbolic terms is useful for propaganda, but I would rather not have a conversation with somebody talking like that.

And yes, the same goes for calling politicians names. It just lowers he level of the discourse.

It's always so cute when the Orange Shit Thing cheerleaders accuse decent folks of lowering the level of discourse.  Especially when it's immediately followed by them saying that we ought to do away with protections for disenfranchised groups.

Not to speak for Ser Scott, but he is far from a Trump cheerleader.

I, as well, am far from a Trump fan and I have embraced a profession inwhich I advocate for those who are unable to do so themselves.

It feels good to dehumanize Trump and those who support them, but it really does nothing for our cause and just attempts to alienate from all too human characteristics, making ourselves vulnerable to those faults.

Yes, Trump and the majority of his supporters are guilty of doing this, but we don't have to fall into the same trap ourselves.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

It's always so cute when the Orange Shit Thing cheerleaders accuse decent folks of lowering the level of discourse.  Especially when it's immediately followed by them saying that we ought to do away with protections for disenfranchised groups.

I just want to be clear I'm not a cheerleader for Trump.  Trump sucks.  He's sucked for years.  My point is only that despite his high levels of suckitude he is human and I don't support dehumanizing anyone.

Just now, Altherion said:

No, not liberal democracy -- merely the patchwork of positive and negative discrimination based on race, class and gender. It's a utopian ideal. If you were advocating for Sessions with the same intensity as that article advocates against him, then yes, I would tell you similar. This is not about which side of history or justice or whatever, it's about power. Speaking in hyperbolic terms is useful for propaganda, but I would rather not have a conversation with somebody talking like that.

You know, I really have no clue to what you are trying to argue here. None.

If you are just arguing that there is no deterministic process that governs historical outcomes, then okay, that seems correct.

But, if the argument is that nobody has any reason to balk at the appointment of Sessions, then, you, I believe have ventured into left field.

5 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

You know, I really have no clue to what you are trying to argue here. None.

If you are just arguing that there is no deterministic process that governs historical outcomes, then okay, that seems correct.

But, if the argument is that nobody has any reason to balk at the appointment of Sessions, then, you, I believe have ventured in left field.

I have no problem with balking at the appointment of Sessions; I was merely annoyed that it was being done in such hyperbolic and categorical terms. It's not surprising given that hyperbole was a staple of the anti-Trump campaign propaganda, but I was hoping that the people doing it would have realized the futility and ineffectiveness of this tactic by now. It looks like I was overly optimistic.

Archived