US Politics: There's No Morning After Pill

Fragile Bird

4 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

France will never let you do that.

(It'd also put the fear of God into Russia).

Well for sure not under current circumstances but within a franco-german military union? I think that's possible. 

1 hour ago, Arakan said:

The EU has all the abilities to become a military superpower to defend itself. A combined future military force of let's say Germany (including building up our own nuclear device), France, the Benelux and the Scandinavian countries has no one to fear in the world. As of 2016 Germany spent 40 billion USD on defense. If the political will is there this could easily go up to 100 billion USD (or more). We have the money but not the will (lapdog mentality so far).

Let us pray and hope that Merkel or Juncker and the likes will never be the overlords as you put it, of the conscripted Nordic kids.

44 minutes ago, Hereward said:

That's possibly the most unlikely prediction in the history of this forum, and that's saying something.

We will see. 

Who would have thought 2 years ago that after decades of moaning the Brits finally will leave the EU? Or that a person like DJT will become president of the USA :)?

7 minutes ago, Savannah said:

Let us pray and hope that Merkel or Juncker and the likes will never be the overlords as you put it, of the conscripted Nordic kids.

Ridiculous. But nothing else expected, given your political views :).

1 hour ago, Arakan said:

Well for sure not under current circumstances but within a franco-german military union? I think that's possible. 

The French would point out they already have nukes obviating the need for Germany to build their own.  They would threaten Germany with the end of such a union and possible military action if Germany tried to build nuclear weapons.

Just now, Arakan said:

It will be really interesting to see him on the political world stage. He will play nice towards the Russians and Chinese because he sees them as "strong", thus worthy of his "respect". On the other hand he will show quite a lot of contempt towards the EU as he sees us as "weak" and whipping boys...

Where on god's green Earth did you get the idea that Trump intends to play nice with China? That hasn't been his rhetoric thus far.

One of Trumps top advisers, Peter Navarro , who is not a filmmaker by profession, went so far as to make a documentary called "Death By China" that goes into gets into hysterics over China.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The French would point out they already have nukes obviating the need for Germany to build their own.  They would threaten Germany with the end of such a union and possible military action if Germany tried to build nuclear weapons.

no. 

you people should start to think out of the box. Obviously I am not speaking about the CURRENT framework. 

Think longterm...

there are even French ideas that France and Germany should share France's seat in the UNSC...

Scot, I fear you don't realize with your full heart what has happened in 2016. First the UK gives the rest of Europe a big FU, then you Americans vote in a ridiculous narcissist as POTUS. A person who starts his day with antagonizing his supposed allies (NATO, ridiculous high import tariffs for European quality products). 

Things are changing, the post Cold War era finally will have political consequences. 

Just now, Jaxom 1974 said:

Wow...Meet the Press...Chuck Todd showing some spine and rattling Conway a bit...

The press is growing a pair at long last. They've been threatened, and we all know that the first step to authoritarianism is silencing a free press. I think they also finally realize that they're responsible for Mango Mussolini getting elected. Maybe now they will finally start doing their jobs and holding Trump's feet to the fire.

5 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Where on god's green Earth did you get the idea that Trump intends to play nice with China? That hasn't been his rhetoric thus far.

One of Trumps top advisers, Peter Navarro , who is not a filmmaker by profession, went so far as to make a documentary called "Death By China" that goes into gets into hysterics over China.

Just rhetoric. Nothing more. He doesn't have the balls to antagonize China. He will see them as strong and show "respect" towards them. Whereas he will and already is RIDICULING his supposed European allies. 

China will play with DJT like with a violin. 

1 hour ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

France will never let you do that.

(It'd also put the fear of God into Russia).

And thank you, France, for that! I'm all for a stronger, unified, and different-from-now EU (different in the sense of a truly democratically legitimated EU), more independent of the US, but fighting delusions of grandeur with the same, arrogant superpower attitude? Fighting nuclear weapons with nuclear weapons? Nein, danke!

And please, before condemning a whole country for Trump, or even Obama's foreign politics, let's just remember it was Europeans who elected people like Berlusconi, Erdogan, and Putin. (Not to mention far more sinister governments, of whom I was reminded when listening to this very aggressive inauguration speech.) And I fear the outcome of the elections in the Netherlands and in France. Not so much in Germany, but that's just because certain forces haven't managed to find anyone remotely charismatic to run. If, say, Dieter bohlen were to run for office, maybe the world would laugh about us in the end.  I'm just as shocked about Trump  as anyone, but we'd better get our own act together, fight for real European values, liberties, and social justice, before pointing too many fingers...

Just now, Arakan said:

Just rhetoric. Nothing more. He doesn't have the balls to antagonize China. He will see them as strong and show "respect" towards them.

So basically you don't have much evidence here. You're just going on a hunch, with little basis in actual evidence

6 minutes ago, Arakan said:

Your answer allows enough extrapolation. 

That was a pretty circular argument: "Your reply does not surprise me, because of your views. Which I know from your reply."

@Chaircat: Probably a good idea, we might be getting on people's nerves. However, I'm also here to show support to US dissenters.

Just now, OldGimletEye said:

So basically you don't have much evidence here. You're just going on a hunch, with little basis in actual evidence

Of course. It's a discussion forum after all. I just provided a hypothesis. Nothing more. Obviously I am not a member of any relevant government. 

Archived