US Politics: There's No Morning After Pill

Fragile Bird

11 minutes ago, Altherion said:

The press has been losing the trust of the people for decades. Trump did not create this trend, but he is exploiting it and in a way his claims about the crowds are a low-cost, low-risk strategy: the media have been against him the entire way and fighting back is unlikely to harm him.

So bald-faced lying is the appropriate response? C'mon man. So now we have an administration we can't trust and a press we can't trust. Trump is exacerbating this trend and you should condemn that, not excuse it.

27 minutes ago, mormont said:

Quite a lot of damage can and will be done. As I've noted before, if there is one thing Trump has been convincing and consistent about for decades, it's his view that the press should be much, much more tightly regulated.

He can't do away with the First Amendment but he can, and will, do whatever he can to limit its power. That is not going to stop with bullying the press corps. He's going to make attempts to alter the libel laws, radically expanding their scope and reducing the available defences. The aim will be to put more media out of action in the manner of the Gawker trial. You can't overturn the First, but you can make media owners too scared of being sued out of existence to print anything controversial - at least, anything controversial about rich people.

We went through 10 years of that here in Canada with the former Conservative government.  Preapproved questions, tightly controlled rallys(only supporters allowed).  Rare press conferences.  It can be frustrating but as we saw last election it can backfire as well.

My inaugaration has drawn more people to the street than Obama's. They were marching everywhere, in Chicago and in L.A.  Adding both, my actual inaugaration visitors and the demonstration in my honour. I beat out Obama, bigly.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So bald-faced lying is the appropriate response? C'mon man. So now we have an administration we can't trust and a press we can't trust. Trump is exacerbating this trend and you should condemn thaqt, not excuse it.

I didn't take it as excusing anything just as an analysis of why the Trump team is acting the way it is towards the press.

8 minutes ago, snake said:

I didn't take it as excusing anything just as an analysis of why the Trump team is acting the way it is towards the press.

I did, there was no reason for Prez Orange Shit to lie about the amount of people who attended the inauguration.  None.  Citing not trusting the press is an excuse and an attempt at misdirection.

11 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So bald-faced lying is the appropriate response? C'mon man. So now we have an administration we can't trust and a press we can't trust. Trump is exacerbating this trend and you should condemn thaqt, not excuse it.

I make no claim regarding its appropriateness; I'm merely saying that in this particular instance, Trump's statements are low risk and low cost. And yes, he is exacerbating the trend, but this would only be bad if the media was genuinely trustworthy -- and it is most certainly not. They portray themselves as neutral observers, but in fact they're servants of massive corporate conglomerates that definitely have their own interests.

2 minutes ago, Altherion said:

I make no claim regarding its appropriateness; I'm merely saying that in this particular instance, Trump's statements are low risk and low cost. And yes, he is exacerbating the trend, but this would only be bad if the media was genuinely trustworthy -- and it is most certainly not. They portray themselves as neutral observers, but in fact they're servants of massive corporate conglomerates that definitely have their own interests.

He lied because the small crowd hurt his ego, not because the media is blah blah blah.  His lying about something so meaningless is just absurd and Conway claiming 'alternative facts' is very disturbing.  

The National Park service does the count not the media.  The regime shut down their numbers supposedly but not before others on twitter saw them.

(Not sure if that was truly confirmed or not -- some say the order to no twitters from gov agencies was normal in inaug day when regime changes, but I don 't recall this happening before).

Liars and thieves, thieves and liars. About EVERYTHING.  We've been watch little hands do this for decades and decades.  Things take place in front of his face and he denies it ever happened.  He does and says things in front of yuge numbers of witnesses and says he didn't.  Then steals other people's words. What a dweeb. What fun the pooterp's gonna have in the next weeks.

9 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

He lied because the small crowd hurt his ego, not because the media is blah blah blah.  His lying about something so meaningless is just absurd and Conway claiming 'alternative facts' is very disturbing.  

Exactly. This smells like an excuse because it seeks to explain his behavior as being reasonable. It's not. It is a bald-faced lie that serves no purpose. If he's in a race with the press to see who's less trustworthy, he's winning it.

43 minutes ago, Altherion said:

The press has been losing the trust of the people for decades. Trump did not create this trend, but he is exploiting it and in a way his claims about the crowds are a low-cost, low-risk strategy: the media have been against him the entire way and fighting back is unlikely to harm him.

That's because he's fucking lying. Why would they ever be on the side of a person who disparages them at every turn and lies pathologically? 

Low risk sure, but it's flat out wrong. Not sure how you can ignore that part.

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Exactly. This smells like an excuse because it seeks to explain his behavior as being reasonable. It's not. It is a bald-faced lie that serves no purpose. If he's in a race with the press to see who's less trustworthy, he's winning it.

He sent his press sec out to tell a bald face lie and accuse the press of lying, then had him take no questions.  Here is an interesting link of the transcript by the Washington Post. Click on the highlighted areas to get annotations about what was said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/21/sean-spicer-held-a-press-conference-he-didnt-take-questions-or-tell-the-whole-truth/?utm_term=.001cee3b86c8#annotations:11210802

46 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

This is nothing less than a WWIII scenario. With at least three nuclear powers involved (Russia, France, the UK).

In fairness there's apparently some question over whether the UK can actually hit anything with our nuclear deterrent, so it might only be two.

9 minutes ago, Hereward said:

As the separate thread has been closed, despite a mod posting in it, am I to assume that the geopolitical and security situation in Europe has been deemed to be an issue of US Politics?

Well those matters are of vital importance -- intimately connected to the regime of looters -- for us here in the US too, as I see it.  Not everybody feels that way, of course, but I'm all for the Big Picture!  None of this is happening in isolation.

15 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The National Park service does the count not the media.  The regime shut down their numbers supposedly but not before others on twitter saw them.

(Not sure if that was truly confirmed or not -- some say the order to no twitters from gov agencies was normal in inaug day when regime changes, but I don 't recall this happening before).

Liars and thieves, thieves and liars. About EVERYTHING.  We've been watch little hands do this for decades and decades.  Things take place in front of his face and he denies it ever happened.  He does and says things in front of yuge numbers of witnesses and says he didn't.  Then steals other people's words. What a dweeb. What fun the pooterp's gonna have in the next weeks.

The National Park Service itself does not provide crowd numbers and have not for 20 years.  What the NPS did was retweet other figures.  So there was some legitimate criticism in them doing that.

The reaction was not appropriate. Stating they could not use Twitter for emergency issues was very extremely irresponsible and could of put lives at risk.  

5 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

He sent his press sec out to tell a bald face lie and accuse the press of lying, then had him take no questions.  Here is an interesting link of the transcript by the Washington Post. Click on the highlighted areas to get annotations about what was said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/01/21/sean-spicer-held-a-press-conference-he-didnt-take-questions-or-tell-the-whole-truth/?utm_term=.001cee3b86c8#annotations:11210802

Could there be anything more -- well, goofy? They lie with conviction, but not convincingly.  Thieves and liars who are stupid too. If they were running crimes on the street they'd be in Riker's so fast they wouldn't know what hit them.

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

Could there be anything more -- well, goofy? They lie with conviction, but not convincingly.  Thieves and liars who are stupid too. If they were running crimes on the street they'd be in Riker's so fast they wouldn't know what hit them.

You hit an interesting point.  They are very bad at this and everyone speaking for Trump comes off like a marionette.  Do they think this convinces... anyone?

5 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

The National Park Service itself does not provide crowd numbers and have not for 20 years.  What the NPS did was retweet other figures.  So there was some legitimate criticism in them doing that.

The reaction was not appropriate. Stating they could not use Twitter for emergency issues was very extremely irresponsible and could of put lives at risk.  

Ah.  Can't do satellite - overhead for inaugurals because of security, I see now.

This is how they do it, The Atlantic says.

Archived