Mark Antony

Denis Villenueve to direct Dune

Jon Spaihts to step down as showrunner for the announced TV series Dune: Sisterhood, but he will focus on a potential sequel for the movie.

Picked up to series in June, Spaihts turned in one draft of a script and a revised outline for the female-focused take on Frank Herbert's beloved novel. Sources say Legendary TV was not happy with the early work Spaihts turned in and opted to remove him as showrunner on the production so he can instead focus on the yet-to-be formally announced film sequel to the forthcoming Dune feature.

Not sure if this is good or bad, as he also co-wrote the movie with Villeneuve.

1 hour ago, Vaughn said:

WHERE'S THE TRAILER? The wait is killing me... 

Isn’t is scheduled for December? We’re probably not even close to getting a trailer. 

33 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Isn’t is scheduled for December? We’re probably not even close to getting a trailer. 

GTFOH with your reasonable expectations. 

Edited by Vaughn

1 hour ago, Vaughn said:

GTFOH with your reasonable expectations. 

Yes, Dec. 18 in the US. Which I hate, because I've come to detest going to my local, cold-as-hell theater. I'm gonna have to drive to another town to see it. Not sitting in the the cold for (probably) 3 hrs.

Now, here's some stuff to wet the appetite. The first footage was screened, and even with unfinished effects, it's still drawing praise. https://movieweb.com/dune-movie-2020-first-footage-description/

And then there was a leaked on set image of some ornithopters.

On 11/5/2019 at 4:09 PM, Corvinus said:

Jon Spaihts to step down as showrunner for the announced TV series Dune: Sisterhood, but he will focus on a potential sequel for the movie.

Not sure if this is good or bad, as he also co-wrote the movie with Villeneuve.

This and the Executive Production credits of both Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson really make me nervous about this production.

18 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

This and the Executive Production credits of both Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson really make me nervous about this production.

Lot of EP credits don't mean anything in practical terms. It might just been something the studio had to throw-in to the deal to get the rights to make the movie.

Stephen King has an EP credit on almost every TV adaptation of his works (on movies he usually takes a writing credit instead); it doesn't mean he has anything to do with all those projects.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

Lot of EP credits don't mean anything in practical terms. It might just been something the studio had to throw-in to the deal to get the rights to make the movie.

Stephen King has an EP credit on almost every TV adaptation of his works (on movies he usually takes a writing credit instead); it doesn't mean he has anything to do with all those projects.

I really hope you are right.  However the creation of “Dune: Sisterhood” presumable based on the excremental work of Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert set in Frank Herbert’s creation suggests they might have more pull than they should have.

Here's the thing about any involvement by Herbert and Anderson - what I really, really want is great actors, unbelievable sets and cinematography and design to tell this story. And this movie will have that. I'm pretty confident that DV has the talent to override any meddling because unlike the recent SW stuff, this is a completely told and intricately detailed story already. So there is no 'who are Rey's parents, who is Snoke, what's the tie into a movie from the 80s' BS to bog it down. 

All I'm saying is that this is going to be the greatest epic sci-fi movie of our lifetimes. 

On 1/29/2019 at 8:42 PM, Corvinus said:

Certainly not a bad choice. Considering Ferguson is Jessica, I can see Chalamet being their child. :P

My preference would have been Viggo Mortensen. 

Ooh, I'd have loved to see Mortensen play Duke Leto.  Oscar Isaac is a pretty good choice though.  I hope they don't muck it up; Dune is a hard choice to translate from book to movie.  (I didn't care for the original movie; the only thing worthwhile was the casting of Jurgen Prochnow as Duke Leto).  

Finished my re-read of Dune, and am wondering how they'll divide the two movies. Where will the break point be between them?

I'm thinking the first movie will cover everything up until Paul starts having his visions of the future, maybe all the way to where the time jump happens. There's a lot that happens off page and only mentioned in the last third of the book that the second movie could cover in more detail.

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

When are we going to get a trailer?

There probably wasn't time to get one ready for the Super Bowl, so the next logical big event would be San Diego Comic-Con, where I'd be surprised if there wasn't a heavy Dune presence (ha, and probably Wheel of Time as well). They probably want to start ramping up the promotional stuff before July though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a trailer landing a bit earlier, maybe April or May? They may also be looking for a big movie to attach the trailer to, with Black Widow being an obvious choice.

20 minutes ago, Werthead said:

There probably wasn't time to get one ready for the Super Bowl, so the next logical big event would be San Diego Comic-Con, where I'd be surprised if there wasn't a heavy Dune presence (ha, and probably Wheel of Time as well). They probably want to start ramping up the promotional stuff before July though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a trailer landing a bit earlier, maybe April or May? They may also be looking for a big movie to attach the trailer to, with Black Widow being an obvious choice.

I’d heard we were getting a trailer in December but it never materialized.

13 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’d heard we were getting a trailer in December but it never materialized.

That was clearly never going to happen. Far too far out from release. You can get away with that if you're Fellowship of the Ring (which actually released the first trailer 18 months out from release) but not really otherwise.

They did wrap shooting last July and went into post, which is actually earlier then I'd thought, so they could have something ready to show relatively soon. And they did show some material at the Paris film festival last week (although some of it was lacking effects footage).

Edited by Werthead

This is pretty much like LoTR though, isn't it? Huge, legendary book which is a cornerstone of its genre being adapted as a multi-movie series. If you want to make the second/third movies, you need to the first one to be a hit so marketing in advance to build the hype is critical. 

Unlike the MCU, where there were many existing characters which could be be rolled out over several movies to build up the franchise, this has to land from the start or you're looking at something like 'Bladerunner 2049' where the box office doesn't justify a sequel.