Denis Villenueve to direct Dune

Mark Antony

A little underwhelmed, personally. I found the music very, very distracting and out of place. I assume this is just trailer music and not actually part of the score. Anyone recognize it?

Also, Duncan Idaho being re-written to just be another variation of Momoa's stock performance is sad. Can he really not do anything else, or is it that he's just so good at doing it that it's not a question for the director to go with it?

Visually gorgeous, of course, though I did find some sequences overly grey and desaturated.

ETA: Ah, cover of Pink Floyd's "Eclipse". Thought the lyrics sounded a little familiar.

Visuals look solid. I'd have liked a few more snippets of actual scenes, rather than voice-over of cinematic shots; but that's the way blockbuster trailers are done now I suppose.

ETA:

ETA: Ah, cover of Pink Floyd's "Eclipse". Thought the lyrics sounded a little familiar.

I assume a nod to Jodorowsky's Dune, which was going to have a soundtrack of Pink Floyd (and Magma and a few other prog rock bands).

1 hour ago, Ran said:

A little underwhelmed, personally. I found the music very, very distracting and out of place. I assume this is just trailer music and not actually part of the score. Anyone recognize it?

i. the Floyd is a shout out to Jodorowsky's Dune, I think?

ii. agree on Momoa. Dude is inexplicably exhausting

iii. everything else is stunning [especially the worm] but it needs more grit, imo. way too clean 

4 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

i. the Floyd is a shout out to Jodorowsky's Dune, I think?

Good catch! I forgot that Jodorowsky was planning to score the music with Floyd. Kind of nice, even if an instrumental would have been better than a choral piece, IMO, for the trailer. Just a bit too aggresive and distracting for me.

ii. agree on Momoa. Dude is inexplicably exhausting

Love the energy, but the same howling badass again and again is getting tiresome.

iii. everything else is stunning [especially the worm] but it needs more grit, imo. way too clean 

Yeah, people seemed a bit too clean in the desert. 

Putting old pop music in it, instead doing original music, injected an overall sense of 'cheap'  and lowered my interest.

Sound track over all is mumbly, hard to hear.

Novel did a lot of 'voice over' too.  In the novel that was the function of the imperial princess-historian-wife, Irulan.

It looked exceptional. The visual design was extremely strong (the shields!), the actors all looked great (especially Ferguson, Isaac, Brolin) and I liked the vibe they were going for by immediately having Paul as somewhat of a psychopath and setting up the crusade (interesting replacing "jihad" there) well ahead of time. The Baron looked particularly disturbing.

The music choice for the trailer was different and interesting. If you're going to put a song on a Dune, Pink Floyd makes a lot of sense. The other teasers, which I'm hoping now will all be released as well, showcase the more traditional score from Zimmer.

It was an interesting choice to spoil several key storylines from the book though.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Also, Duncan Idaho being re-written to just be another variation of Momoa's stock performance is sad. Can he really not do anything else, or is it that he's just so good at doing it that it's not a question for the director to go with it?

Visually gorgeous, of course, though I did find some sequences overly grey and desaturated.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of this weird era of trailer music where someone sleepily sings through a classic song to the point you can't recognize it.

The trailer in general was underwhelming. And I couldn't help but think if you hadn't read the books, then you would have no clue what this is, what it's about, etc. It felt like Hunger Games or the Maze Runner or something.

All this to say, I have a ton of faith this will be a good adaptation. It's just really poor marketing.

13 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I guess there is a reason the trailer features more of Momoa than Isaac or especially Ferguson; trying to pique the interest of a broader audience.

Spoiler about Momoa's character in the books:

Spoiler

I guess in this movie, Momoa wouldn't have much of a role as Duncan Idaho, but if they make more, he's going to become pretty focal. I loved Duncan's character in the books, but I just can't see Momoa's brand doing the character justice. We'll see. I have high hopes either way.

3 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

Design looks really good. Shields look good. Amazing sandworms :)

I agree that Momoa's casting isn't the best fit. Frankly, I'd picked him to play Rabban, physically it would've been better. I don't remember Duncan Idaho to have been a clone of Conan.

Ditto about the song in the trailer. But that's not the soundtrack.

It's funny...I really didn't like the shields. They're better than the ones in the 80s movie obviously, but for me, the shields seem hard to realize.

Side note: Jessica looks exactly how I pictured her in the book.

36 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Spoiler about Momoa's character in the books:

Reveal hidden contents

I guess in this movie, Momoa wouldn't have much of a role as Duncan Idaho, but if they make more, he's going to become pretty focal. I loved Duncan's character in the books, but I just can't see Momoa's brand doing the character justice. We'll see. I have high hopes either way.

Spoiler

I think Idaho will have a bigger role in this movie than he does in the book, where he does a lot off page. My guess is a lot of the movie's action scenes will involve him, maybe even showing us why the Fremen admire him so much and adopt him. His death will thus be more impactful for the audience. 

But if they do future books, yeah, we'll have to get a different Momoa.

Archived