The Stark Kids' Most Advantageous Marriages/Betrothals During The Wot5K

Good Guy Garlan

Say you're Ned and you get blazed on Heart Tree sap or whatever and have a vision of the future War of the 5 Kings. You know everything that's gonna go down, but like Cassandra nobody believes you. The ONLY WAY you can act on it is by arranging betrothals for your kids with Houses that may help you stay alive and win in the coming war. This is just after Jon Arryn's death, before Robert comes to Winterfell. 

Let's see your matchmaking skills!

*The matches have to be somewhat realistic. For example, no marrying off second son Bran to, say, Margaery Tyrell. 

*Jon Snow is included among the Stark kids, but he's still a bastard. *sad face*

Arranging betrothals is hardly the only option. The best option is to get rid of Roose Bolton. Roose, as commander of Robb's foot purposefully threw away and weakened the forces of Houses Hornwood, Tallheart, Cerwyn, and Glover by sending them off to die in battles that were pointless. (Duskendale, anyone?) Getting their lords killed in the process.

Not that killing Roose would necessarily fix this, but getting him away from it all on some pretext would help. Having Ramsay killed would be nice too.

Cool question Triple G!

Robb/Margaery

Theon/Sansa

Bran/Shireen

Trystane/Arya

Jon/Alys Karstark

Hopefully fortifies and/or neutralizes the Tyrells, Greyjoys, and Martells, as well as confirming Ned's allegiance to Stannis' claim.  I would have tried to do a Robin Arryn match but I still don't think that's plausible with Lysa - the rest of these are (I think).  As for Jon/Alys, Rickard probably wouldn't be down but hey, you said Ned had a great trip, that's the failsafe, and Rickard has three male heirs at this point.

1 minute ago, The Fresh PtwP said:

Is a Robb/Margaery match viable? It seems the thought process on that end is king or bust.

Yeah, agreed.  Was about to reply I like your Robb/Asha and Renly/Sansa matches better.  However, I still think neutralizing the Tyrells is key, so maybe Willas/Sansa?  Thing is though, that still leaves Margaery open and Mace would still likely go with whomever is goiong to make her queen.  I suppose I could make the argument Ned could lobby Olenna for a Robb-Marg match once he's Hand and the QoT would tell Mace to accept it, but I'm not even convinced.  The Tyrells are the puzzle here.

Robb Stark - Shireen Baratheon (My first choice), Margaerry Tyrell (If Stannis refuses me), Arianne Martell (if both others refuse me)

Sansa Stark - Willas Tyrell (Renly Baratheon..if Robb marries Maergerry Tyrell or Arianne Martell)

Arya Stark - Trystan Martell (Willas Tyrell..if Sansa marries Renly Baratheon)

Bran Stark - Ysilla Royce

Rickon Stark - Roslin Frey (it solves a lot of issues, if only Roose had a daughter)

Jon Snow - Mya Stone (why not?) or perhaps Joy Hill...

Edmure Tully - Maergerry Tyrell (I know I know, he is not my child but come on, he will be a lord paramount, perhaps Mace would agree).. If not Maerrgery, then perhaps Elinor Tyrell, Unnamed Rowan daughter, Talla Tarly, or Unnamed Waynwood daughter

Also since I can see the future, I would send Roose Bolton on as many dangerous missions as possible and make his bastard son pay for some crime he committed by removing his head.

Theon Greyjoy - a Waynwood, Tarly, Rowan, Frey, or perhaps closer to home...a Cerwyn or something. He is my ward and I would use him without letting him anywhere near his father.

15 minutes ago, The Fresh PtwP said:

Is a Robb/Margaery match viable? It seems the thought process on that end is king or bust.

Of course Robb/Margaery is viable......she is obviously the best choice for Robb, much better than any others listed.  You have to remember that at this point Robert is still alive and there is absolutely no hint of an alliance between the Lannisters and the Tyrells.  The Starks have one of the most respected names in the history of Westeros.  Olenna Tyrell would've seen this and helped make this match possible.  If Margaery ceased to be an option than the next best option is Arianne.  Dorne would be a great ally to have if you are the Starks because of their proximity to KL, as well as their proximities to the Reach and the Stormlands.

I can understand why folks would mention Asha, but damn it just seems like marrying into that family would suck and would end badly for anyone who was foolish enough to do it......longships be damned.

Sansa to Willas or Loras Tyrell (gotta secure that juicy Reach by any means)

Arya to a Frey (sorry, no matter how much you dislike 'em, you NEED the Freys on your side) OR Robert Arryn, depending on which side of the bed Lysa woke up on that day.

Robb to either Margaery Tyrell (I actually don't think Mace would concede to this match. The Tyrells want the Iron Throne, not to back up a rebellious and "inferior" Northern kingdom), or to some Umber or Alys Karstark to strengthen their northern ties. Doran would probably not marry Arianne to him either. 

Bran to Shireen Baratheon. Again, depending on which side of the bed Stannis woke up on.

Rickon to another northern girl. Maybe a Tallhart or Glover. 

2 hours ago, acwill07 said:

Of course Robb/Margaery is viable......she is obviously the best choice for Robb, much better than any others listed.  You have to remember that at this point Robert is still alive and there is absolutely no hint of an alliance between the Lannisters and the Tyrells.  The Starks have one of the most respected names in the history of Westeros.  Olenna Tyrell would've seen this and helped make this match possible.  If Margaery ceased to be an option than the next best option is Arianne.  Dorne would be a great ally to have if you are the Starks because of their proximity to KL, as well as their proximities to the Reach and the Stormlands.

I can understand why folks would mention Asha, but damn it just seems like marrying into that family would suck and would end badly for anyone who was foolish enough to do it......longships be damned.

She is the best choice for Robb...by far, that's the point she's borderline out of his league.

The Stark's have an old respected name...and little else to offer Highgarden. Olenna wouldn't jump at the chance to ship her darling little rose to the frozen desolate north.

Yeah the Greyjoys suck, I'll grant you that. I'm banking on Ned having means of making Balon play ball. Maybe by returning (exchanging) Theon? 

If Ned knows the future then I'm going with what he thought was right and that's getting Stannis on the Iron Throne :D 

Robb - Margaery Tyrell

(Secures the support of the Reach)

Jon - Arriane Martell

(Probably not realistic but the Dornish am more sympathetic towards bastards)

Sansa - Willas Tyrell

(Sansa would enjoy highgarden and it twice secures the Reach , win win situation)

Bran - Shireen Baratheon

(Stannis wouldn't want his heir going to Winterfell , this way we send our second son to Dragonstone securing the Norths loyalty)

Arya - Quentyn

(Twice securing Dorne , Arya would also like Dorne she wouldn't look out of place practising her swordplay)

Rickon - Myrcella

(Well do we need an hostage ;) )

Now we have the Reach , Dorne , the North , and the Riverlands all declaring for Stannis.

Lysa is a puppet of little finger so she'll keep the Vale out of the conflict.

The Iron Islands might weigh up the odds and decide to attack the Westerlands.

Renly without the Reach backing him will probably declare the Stormlands for Stannis but if not we don't need him :) )

Finally we have Myrcella in Winterfell and there are no Starks in Kings Landing or the Westerlands.

Robb - Margaery, unites two great houses in a favorable matchup
Sansa - Lancel, I have a hard time imagining Ned collaborating at all with Lannisters but this would be crucial in dividing that house and gaining favor for the Starks. Lancel seems easily manipulated and so Sansa gets a husband who she could take advantage of and control.
Arya - Robert Arryn, Arya will hate him until she figures out that she has all the power, similar to how Sansa deals with him.
Bran - Shireen, important to keep Baratheon alliances
Rickon - Desmera Redwyne, a powerful navy to use against the Ironborn.

My assumptions were that Ned wouldn't do anything to ally himself with Joff & sibs, and that he wouldn't want to marry with the IB. Also I don't think it's necessary to unite with the Tullys beyond Ned and Cat, and it would sort of bring the Tullys over via Robert Arryn anyways.

Jon is complicated. Realistically, I would say Ned does all the above matchups and then declares Jons true parentage upon Roberts death. Proclaims him king, and uses his children's new marriages to broker support. If we assume he does not do this (and never will), then I would marry Jon to a either Wylla Manderly or Alys Karstark and let him take their name if the king allows it. If Jon isn't declared king I imagine the whole hearted support of Stannis would come from Ned and these new alliances (except the Lannisters who would be divided).

I don't think Marg-Robb is unrealistic. The Tyrells definitely want her (or one of theirs) to be a queen but they have displayed patience. This marriage connects them to Stannis (or Jon) and opens the door for future betrothal. Yes, Olenna would almost certainly not live to see it, but a public declaration  that the next generation of royal family and Tyrells(or Marg Starks) would be united by marriage would probably suffice given the circumstances.

Edit: Just thought of this; If Jon becomes king then he could/should marry who he wants (why I didn't give him a matchup if he were king). But a strategic matchup would be Marg and then Robb could marry Arianne or possibly one of the lady's I suggested for Jon, keeping the North unified and strong.

I don't get why a lot of you seem to think Robb with Margaery is a realistic betrothal. If this scenario is before Robert's death and the war, then Mace has very little reason to throw away his only daughter to the man who broke his siege and made him bend the knee not that long ago. Highgarden doesn't have any historical ties to Winterfell, why would he marry her to Robb? What would he gain? And even if this scenario is AFTER the war breaks out -- Robb doesn't want anything to do with the Iron Throne. He'd be throwing House Tyrell into a war just so his daughter can be.. queen in the north? Why? What he wants is King's Landing.

What's more, we know he was basically saving Marg to make her a Baratheon queen by any means. If she didn't seduce Robert like they planned then he would have most likely married her to Renly anyway, just to be closer to the succession. Hell, I can see him pushing Margaery on Stannis before Robb.

The Martells are also on a similar boat. In Doran's eyes, the Starks must seem only a shade less awful than the Lannisters for what they helped to do. Maybe, MAYBE Trystane to Arya, and even that's pushing it. 

Robb marries Margaery Tyrell. No question here.
Backup: Desmera Redwyne

Sansa is betrothed to Theon Greyjoy.
Backup: Alyn Ambrose 

Arya is betrothed to Trystane Martell.
Backup: Edric Dayne.

Bran is betrothed to Lyanna Mormont.
Backup: Bethany Blackwood or Alysanne Bulwer.

Rickon is betrothed to Ermesande Hayford.
Backup: Janei Lannister.

Jon either to Joy Hill, or to Wylla Manderly.
Backup: Alys Karstark or Beth Cassel.

Robb: Myrcella Baratheon, good match and would be a great ward at Winterfell. Can be broken off when incest is revealed and married to Margaery or Asha Greyjoy.

Jon: Mya Stone, probably makes Robert happy, could get Jon fostered in the Vale which would make Cat happy.

Sansa: Willas Tyrell, getting the Tyrells on your side would be key. Also she'd love it there.

Arya: Trystane Martell, imagine Arya getting training lessons with Oberyn, pure win for everyone.

Bran: Wylla Manderley, securing the loyalty of your richest bannerman is good. Plus Bran loves knights and would be a good page or squire.

Rickon: Shireen Baratheon, you want the Mannis on your side.

Theon: Alys Karstark, as close a Stark has Theon has any right to be. Also having him on the East Coast away from the Iron Islands is prudent. Also need to keep him to stop Balon from doing anything stupid.

On 3/1/2017 at 7:30 PM, Good Guy Garlan said:

Say you're Ned and you get blazed on Heart Tree sap or whatever and have a vision of the future War of the 5 Kings. You know everything that's gonna go down, but like Cassandra nobody believes you. The ONLY WAY you can act on it is by arranging betrothals for your kids with Houses that may help you stay alive and win in the coming war. This is just after Jon Arryn's death, before Robert comes to Winterfell. 

Let's see your matchmaking skills!

*The matches have to be somewhat realistic. For example, no marrying off second son Bran to, say, Margaery Tyrell. 

*Jon Snow is included among the Stark kids, but he's still a bastard. *sad face*

Hey are we getting scored on this or anything? Like even a thumbs up or thumbs down on our choices? Cause I think I really scored a home run with Rickon and Emresande. I'm amazed nobody else picked up on her. Why should the Lannisters get another fortune? Besides Rickon is much closer to her age than Tyrek is. The two of them could presumably have a conversation...you know, whatever toddlers talk about.

On 3/1/2017 at 9:30 PM, Wheller said:

Arranging betrothals is hardly the only option. The best option is to get rid of Roose Bolton. Roose, as commander of Robb's foot purposefully threw away and weakened the forces of Houses Hornwood, Tallheart, Cerwyn, and Glover by sending them off to die in battles that were pointless. (Duskendale, anyone?) Getting their lords killed in the process.

Not that killing Roose would necessarily fix this, but getting him away from it all on some pretext would help. Having Ramsay killed would be nice too.

No, it's not the only option. But it IS the entire point of the thread. So...with whom would you match up the Starks and the Snow?

Robb - the obvious choice is Margaery, but would Mace allow it after the rebellion? Also there was talk of her marrying Robert. I'd like to say Arianne would be a good match but she is the heir to Doran. 

Sansa - Willas/Loras Tyrell or even Renly? Maybe Quentyn Martell

Bran - Shireen or Myrcella (Myrcella would be a ward at winterfell). 

Arya - Trystane Martell/ Edric Dayne/ Robyn Arryn 

Rickon - send as a ward to the Vale, Dorne or Highgarden 

Archived