NHL Playoffs: Stanley's Suitors

l2 0 5 5

Damn shame regarding all topics mentioned. Considering his history, yeah I think he's probably done for the playoffs, but the fan in me has the slightest hope he suits up again.  Gonna miss Sheary, as well. Our depth took a big hit but still a lot of good players to put on the ice. Historically, Malkin steps up big time when Crosby is out. Hopefully this rallies the team even more to win this series.

Looking back on the hit, yeah it deserved the game misconduct, but I agree with no suspension. I don't think there was any malice there, even though the two (Crosby/Niskanen) have a history.

29 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Damn shame regarding all topics mentioned. Considering his history, yeah I think he's probably done for the playoffs, but the fan in me has the slightest hope he suits up again.  Gonna miss Sheary, as well. Our depth took a big hit but still a lot of good players to put on the ice. Historically, Malkin steps up big time when Crosby is out. Hopefully this rallies the team even more to win this series.

Looking back on the hit, yeah it deserved the game misconduct, but I agree with no suspension. I don't think there was any malice there, even though the two (Crosby/Niskanen) have a history.

I think the bigger issue here is the  general disregard for the safety of other players in this league.

I get that Niskanen was not targeting the head.  Where i think that the argument about 'he was just reacting' falls flat is, why is his default reaction to a vulnerable player to cross check him?  That's the fundamental problem here, and it's not a knock on niskanen or the Caps, it applies to basically all teams.  i don't think the Caps are any worse about this than anyone else.

If his default reaction is instead to avoid the defenseless player, then this doesn't happen.

Until the league addresses this issue, we are going to keep losing highly talented players to these kinds of 'fluke' injuries.

1 hour ago, Swordfish said:

I think the bigger issue here is the  general disregard for the safety of other players in this league.

I get that Niskanen was not targeting the head.  Where i think that the argument about 'he was just reacting' falls flat is, why is his default reaction to a vulnerable player to cross check him?  That's the fundamental problem here, and it's not a knock on niskanen or the Caps, it applies to basically all teams.  i don't think the Caps are any worse about this than anyone else.

If his default reaction is instead to avoid the defenseless player, then this doesn't happen.

Until the league addresses this issue, we are going to keep losing highly talented players to these kinds of 'fluke' injuries.

I think Niskanen was already moving for a pretty standard mid-back near-crease crosscheck when Crosby comes flying at him and his reaction to something flying at him faster than expected, like pretty much any human's, is to get your arms up.  What's confusing to me is that Ovechkin's slash seems to have been totally ignored.  

14 hours ago, MerenthaClone said:

I think Niskanen was already moving for a pretty standard mid-back near-crease crosscheck when Crosby comes flying at him and his reaction to something flying at him faster than expected, like pretty much any human's, is to get your arms up.  What's confusing to me is that Ovechkin's slash seems to have been totally ignored.  

Well... Sure.  The slash and the cross check are both illegal for a reason.

It's reckless not because Crosby is going down, but because his default is to cross check.

Eddie O bowing out of his color commentator duties to be at the Kentucky Derby?  Does he commentate that? All 20 seconds of it? He just lost his hockey card IMO...

Pens weathered the storm tonight, and Fleury has been incredible. What a satisfying win without Sid in the lineup. Good to see they didn't goon up and try going after Niskanen as well.

14 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Great game! Happy to see Horny light it up. Can't see the Caps winning three in a row vs Pitt even without Crosby. 

That trade sure seems like it has worked out well for both teams. The bad thing for me was I bought a Neal jersey not too long before the trade, figuring he wasn't going anywhere after signing his deal. Last time I buy a hockey jersey of someone who isn't retired...

37 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

The bad thing for me was I bought a Neal jersey not too long before the trade, figuring he wasn't going anywhere after signing his deal. Last time I buy a hockey jersey of someone who isn't retired...

You can always switch out the name and numbers. At little costly, but that way it's not a complete loss. There's a company online called Exclusive Pro that does really good work. 

Archived