UK Politics: Electioneering

Werthead

Ken Clarke is my favourite Tory by miles.

His staunch resistance to Tory propaganda bullshit over an extensive long time is quite impressive.

A minority government could be possible, depending on how close the parties are to 323. Labour could probably rely on the SNP and the Tories on the DUP on many issues.

This is perilous for Labour. If the SNP lose 20 seats, that damages their mandate to hold a second independence referendum. Labour cannot, under any circumstances, agree to support a second referendum as part of any agreement. It would risk destroying them in 2022 (particularly if Scotland went independent). But if the SNP lose enough seats so they can no longer demand IndyRef 2, then their numbers will also be less helpful in creating a majority coalition.

Amber Rudd is reportedly close to losing her seat. That would be fucking hilarious. An odious, authoritarian martinet who behaved appallingly on the campaign trail.

1 minute ago, mormont said:

We could fill the time till the next result having the old referendums/referenda argument. Always a classic.

As an American, the way that the UK does this is fascinating. The Parliamentary sovereignty is of particular interest, considering how much Americans like to bang on about how we are a democracy with our referendums and ballot measures, where as The UK just kind of says "Fuck it, you guys decide".

That picture of the fella from Kettering looks like an absolute dweeb.

Labour Party polling is now saying they are expecting to take between 4 and 6 seats in Scotland back from the SNP. Ipswich is now in play, which is notable as that's the seat of the guy who directed the Tory manifesto.

11 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

Ken Clarke is my favourite Tory by miles.

Did I hear him on the BBC refer to voters in "the rust belt"....?  That should play super well in post-industrial areas.

Just now, Werthead said:

Labour Party polling is now saying they are expecting to take between 4 and 6 seats in Scotland back from the SNP. Ipswich is now in play, which is notable as that's the seat of the guy who directed the Tory manifesto.

I feel like believing these sorts of rumours on election night is just a recipe for steadily growing insanity. Especially as it gets later and later.

Just now, Werthead said:

I think it is the Tory party thinking they will take that number of seats in Scotland.

It seems perfectly possible that both the Tories and Labour could take between four and six seats each back from the SNP, to be fair. I don't think it'll be that many, but I'm often wrong.

2 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

I feel like believing these sorts of rumours on election night is just a recipe for steadily growing insanity. Especially as it gets later and later.

Certainly. But it's interesting that one of the seats being most hotly contested is Gordon, with Salmond apparently now relying on the Tories and Lib Dems splitting the anti-SNP vote to survive.

I think it is the Tory party thinking they will take that number of seats in Scotland.

No, Labour. IIRC, they were projecting maybe just a gain of 1 or 2 a few days ago and that was considered optimistic.

3 minutes ago, GrimTuesday said:

As an American, the way that the UK does this is fascinating. The Parliamentary sovereignty is of particular interest, considering how much Americans like to bang on about how we are a democracy with our referendums and ballot measures, where as The UK just kind of says "Fuck it, you guys decide".

The UK electoral system does have some serious problems (the FPTP system has some big disadvantages) but I do prefer the way they do the election itself, I like the resolutely old-fashioned insistence on counting every vote by hand.

That picture of the fella from Kettering looks like an absolute dweeb.

I think his picture has probably perfectly captured his character.

5 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I think his picture has probably perfectly captured his character.

The hosts were saying that he is super tight with UKIP which is why no UKIP candidate was running for that seat, so I would hazard a guess that he is a massive turd.

Archived